Jump to content

Chapter 1: Orientation


hoverfrog

Recommended Posts


Pathfinder Strength of Thousands Adventure Path | Paizo

Chapter 1: Kindled Magic

Magaambya

ArtStation - lie setiawanThe teacher speaks with a gentle, soothing timbre. "Welcome, and a kind hello, new students. It is my pleasure to instruct you. You may call me Teacher Ot. You are embarking now on a life of study and service. We see within you intellect, passion, and judgment—in short, the virtues to build upon the strengths of the thousands who have come before you. We follow the footsteps of Old-Mage Jatembe, who showed us that the price of magic is the responsibility to better the world."

"Please, introduce yourselves. Tell me something about your interests. What would you consider your greatest strengths?" he pauses to smile reassuringly, "Forgive the nature of these questions but I would like to know you better to help to guide you on your journey to growing strong in magic."

"What work have you done to bolster those in and around the Magaambya before now? What is it that you seek from Magaambya? Once you have attained that which you seek, what goals do you wish to achieve?"


OOC Scene Notes

There is no active map. When there is please refer to the active map spoiler below.
Please use directions when moving (N, S, E, SE, W, etc)
We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.


 

Show Bookkeeping

COMBAT/CONDITIONS TRACKER

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

 

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

 

Default Marching Order

 

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

 

 

Silas Foljet Thandeka Sun-Steel

 

 

Alandri Malfore  

 

 

Show Active Map

Map goes here

Edited by hoverfrog (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

KaikaraMagus(1).png.730b3b5a3f97473d414b1e83492122e3.pngKaikara, Demon-tainted Matanji outcast

AC: 18 | HIT POINTS: 21 | CURRENT: 21 | HERO POINTS: 1

FORTITUDE: +6 | REFLEX: +7 | WILL: +5 | PERCEPTION: +7

ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.

CONDITIONS: None.


So this was Teacher Ot, the man whom her grandmother had instructed her to seek out at Magaambya, her crested brow furrowed as she looked at the man.  He had a kind and open face, with a broad smile, an, almost, musical quality to his voice.   These set the, typically, furtive, Matanji warrior at ease, she bowed her head at their Teacher, but could not bring herself to step forward.  She spoke softly, her eyes slightly down cast, as her peers turned their heads, they saw a tall, lithe woman, her body packed with wiry, well defined muscle, tribal tattoos covered her shoulders, flowed down her upper arms, but stopped short of her elbows.  Her face was an odd mixture of Matanji orc and something ... other.  Large, almost bat like ears stood out from the side of her head, her forehead was crested with a flat, bone ridge, which blunted her face, and from either side of her mouth jutted two long, sharp canine teeth, reaching to nearly touch her cheek bones.  She wore hide armor, and walked with the aid of a long wooden spear, with a broad, leaf shaped, steel head, having not earned a cold-iron weapon, so common to the Matanji.

"Teacher Ot," he inclined her head, "my mother's mother instructed me to seek you out.  Ombawa Nambe, I have her daughter's name, Kaikara, though I have not earned the right to bear my father's name."  Her voice trailed off, until she lifted her head slightly, and noted that neither her peers, nor Master Ot, were judging her.  "I travelled from the Matanji's seat, behind the Nine Walls, to petition to entry to Magaambya, at Nambe's request.  She believed I had the potential to learn a great many things.  I inherited, from her, an interest in the blooms, and herbs, and roots, of the Mwangi Expanse, the healing arts.  I also enjoyed watching the weaver's of our cities at the looms, intricately weaving bright threads, on their looms, into whole cloth."  She considered her strengths, and was concerned that she didn't truly elong in Magaambya, having not mastered any magical knowledge, nor being, particularly, skilled at academics, or study.  "From my Matanji heritage, I have inherited physical strength and determination, enjoying challenges and competitions of a physical nature.  However, given the nature of my birth, I was not accepted into those games as a youth, so I watched things, and people, and learned to recognize their patterns, like seasons.  Ombawa says I am observant, and patient, but I do not often feel that I am either."

When he asked what she had done to bolster the people of Nantambu, and Magaambya, specifically, she shuffled, collecting her thoughts before continuing.  "I plan to volunteer in the kitchens.  I was often allowed to assist in the preparation of meals for the returning Matanji warriors, I enjoy the scents and spices used in the preparation of a meal."  Another pause, "Also, during my travels to Nantambu, I collected herbs useful in healing, such that if I came across an injured traveller, I would have the supplies to aid them."  What is it you seek?  That was harder, "I do not truly know what I seek Teacher Ot," she looked into the older man's kindly eyes, "I am not a mage, nor a scholar, I have not the proficiency to cast even the simplest of spells.  I have always stood apart, from family, from community, and I'd like to ... find somewhere that I do not have to any longer."  She just kind of shrugged and stepped back, trying to avoid eye contact with Teacher Ot or her peers, for fear of the judgement she might find therein.

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:


Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 spacer.png Silas Foljet - Catfolk Thaumaturge Application  Sheet


AC: 17 | HP: 17/17 | Fortitude: +6 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +4Perception: +4


Silas blinks with a wry smirk on his face as Teacher Ot begins the orientation. He listens attentively to Kaikara before speaking up himself, his voice a thing of rumbling honey.

"Silas Foljet, Teacher Ot. Truth be told I am here because all the Foljets are sent here. No doubt you've met some of my elders already, though if you are expecting another aspiring arch-mage you may be disappointed. My talent and passion - magically-speaking, of course," he adds with an upward twitch of the eyebrows, "Is thaumaturgy. If I must be here - and to be perfectly clear my enrollment was not my idea - then I will fulfill my obligations in that pursuit. As to what I've done for Magaambya, nothing at all, although I do bring a certain style and sophistication to the place. My family, however, are longtime patrons of the academy. I believe we have a library and some sort of wing or tower or what-have-you with our name on it. Possibly some benches."

Silas shrugs and smiles good-naturedly.

"I don't care for the atmosphere but I do care to master my craft and wring every bit of worth from my 'sentence' here, so to speak. I may even entertain the possibility that Magaambya is more than a networking opportunity for the rich and magical."

 



Mechanics/OOC

OOC:


Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

     
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DESCRIPTION Lilly is a small, slender fleshwarp. She mostly resembles a very young halfling lass except for her face. Her head is shorter that what normally would be expected, without having a lower jaw at all. Her eyes are half again larger than typical for the size of her head. Her nose is extremely flat and much longer than most but joined along the bottom. It works much like the gills of a fish in that it has vertical flaps of skin that resemble slender vents. She has no mouth and her voice comes through the air vents of her "nose" instead.

She favors black and gray clothing colors.

WiP
| APPLICATION | SHEET
spacer.pngLilly and Moz
Female, Neutral Good, Fleshwarp (Created), Witch 1


AC: 16 | HP: 17/17 | S/D/C/I/W/C: +0/+2/+1/+4/+1/+1 | F/R/W: +4/+5/+6 | Move: 25' | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception +4
Trained: Acrobatics +5, Arcana +7, Athletics +3, Intimidate +4, L:Farming +7, L:Milling +7, Occult +7, Society+7, Stealth +5, Survival +4, Thievery +5
Untrained: Crafting +4, Deception +1, Diplomacy +1, Medicine +1, Nature +1, Performance +1, Religion +1

Lilly, gathered with a number of the others, was excited and nervous and a bit frightened all at the same time. Having a teacher there in this type of setting seemed to be the beginning of what would lead her down a path she'd been trying to pursue for many years; learning in an environment where she need not worry about fitting in or fearing for her well being. * This is it... it really is... isn't it... * Her mind turned over the past few years of events as other students began to respond to the teacher as she half paid attention, distracted by her own emotions. She was in fact so distracted that she had failed to realize when it was her turn to speak.

Her face flushed with embarrassment for a brief moment but faded back into the pale white of her normal complexion as she stepped forward. She hadn't been in Magaambya long but she'd learned the proper etiquette for this type of situation as well as many other things and certainly didn't want to keep anyone waiting.

Addressing the teacher suitably she also bowed to him, the only sign of Moz being the very tip of his tail, barely protruding from beneath her hair. "Teacher Ot," she straightened from her bow, "I have been traveling for many years now, looking for a place, dreaming of one, that I could call home. One where the need to cover my face did not exist and where I would not be driven from. I was born in a small village that is no more, and not on any map of note but my travels have brought me here and I am very hopeful that this place will be the new home I have been looking for." At this point she nodded to the others before she continued.

"What I know more than other things is farming and milling from my youth. My father was a miller and our extended family were farmers. I learned a great deal about both that I could use to help out here and in a broader sense as well." She lifted her hand to her chin and rested her finger there a moment as she thought.

"I have trained myself in all that I could find of the arcane and occult through my travels. Those same travels have taught me much about different peoples in various places, how they work together, and their politics. As I spent time in these unfamiliar lands I needed to learn how to survive as well or I would not be here today. I did discover, almost by chance, and quite early, that somehow I am connected to something greater than myself and have a facility with sigils, symbols, words, books, and patterns if you will. Language itself as a structure, very interesting seeing things written, whether they are etched in stone or inked on paper. I am in this way a practitioner of magics but I receive my knowledge through my tiny friend whom is being slightly bashful right now and hiding in my hair where he feels quite safe." She lowered her hand, and arm, back to her side.

"I am truly new to Magaambya but hope this will be a place I can contribute to. I would learn more about the arcane abilities I've discovered along with my friend Mox" She touches the pick tail in her hair gently. "I would learn more about this place and more of the many languages and symbols of the world as I find them fascinating." She stepped back to the side once again, signaling that she was finished.

 


OoC

Summary: ???

Reaction: ??
Action 1: ???
Action 2: ???
Action 3: ???


Offenses (Attack +6):
Dagger (+6; 1d4-1; Agile, Finesse, Thrown 10', Versatile S)
Throwing Knife (+6; 1d4-1; Agile, Finesse, Thrown 20')


Spells (Attack +7, DC 17):
Cantrips

Detect Magic spacer.png (--; --; 30' emanation; --; Registers magic in the area)
Electric Arc spacer.png (--; 1d4+4 electricity; 30'; Ref DC 17; One or two targets)
Mage Hand 
spacer.png (--; --; 30'; --; Targets 1 unattended object of light Bulk or less)
Ray of Frost spacer.png (+7; 1d4+4 cold; 120'; --; Targets 1 creature, does double damage on a critical and inflicts a -10' status penalty to the targets speeds for 1 round)
Shield spacer.png (--; --; --; --; Grants a shield of magical force until the start of your next turn that grants a +1 circumstance bonus to your AC and has Hardness 5)
Level 1
Mage Armor 
spacer.png (--; --; --; --; +1 item bonus to AC,  max Dex mod +5. While wearing mage armor, you use your unarmored proficiency to calculate your AC.)
??? spacer.png (--; --; --; --; --)

 

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 9ab6d132b9f09ddee59c8f32978c441d.jpg Thandeka Sun-Steel - Human Cleric Application Sheet


AC: 14/16 | HP: 18/18 | Fortitude: +5 | Reflex: +4 | Will: +9 | Perception: +7


After Kaikara’s careful oration, Thandeka wanted to hug her, but she waited for her turn. At the appropriate time, she stands up to address the smiling teacher’s inquiries. Before she speaks, though, she holds her arms out, then presses her palms together and bows deeply to show the proper respect due to an elder. She then stands up to her full height of 5' 11".

Not as tall as her new-found friend, the young girl still stands very tall for a human female of her village. Yet, while tall, she is not overly muscular. Her busy lifestyle back home allows her to maintain a very trim and athletic figure.

Together with her high cheekbones, sharp nose, sloe eyes, and smoothly dark complexion, Thandeka’s simple Spartan beauty has caused many heads to turn as she passes by. She keeps her long, shiny, black hair combed back and neatly plaited. She wears little make-up except for some facial tattoos around her eyes as is traditional for her people. Any more fussing around would give people the wrong impression, suggesting arrogance or pride.

The Dawnflower cleric follows the traditional ways of dress and adornment as befits a true priestess of Sarenrae -- Keleshite robes, reminiscent of the desert dervishes in the north, of shiny white and gold. And just like some others, she wears some jewelry sporting ankhs. Thandeka also wears worn but dutifully polished studded leather. She also carries a wooden shield emblazoned with the sign of the Healing Light as well as a well-used scimitar in homage to the goddess Everlight.

With her head held high, she intones in a firm voice the following, “If I may be permitted, Teacher Ot, I am Thandeka Sun-Steel, daughter of the healer Ashiki Heart-Strong, and granddaughter of Imara Farsight, village elder of distant Bendakahr. I am a priestess of the blessed Sarenrae. You ask for my interests and my strengths and I shall tell you.”

“I am a servant to my goddess and my people. I enjoy the wonders of nature – both plants and animals alike. I love music and singing, especially hymns glorifying the Cleansing Light. I like the company of others but am unafraid to spend quiet moments alone. And I prefer civility and order.”

“As to my strengths, I am not as learned as some of the others assembled here. I am not well-versed in matters arcane, primal or occult, but I am trained in the divine ways of the Church of Sarenrae. I seek to better my understanding of this world and I dedicate my efforts towards that quest by attending your excellent institution.”

“I hope that I can also act as a proverbial bridge amongst our community -- a conduit, if you will – to connect one and all with the magic that is truly Magaambya.”



Mechanics

Main Hand: Scimitar
Off Hand: Wooden Shield


Action 1: Your action goes here.

Action 2: Your action goes here.

Action 3: Your action goes here.

     
Edited by artsmythe (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Pathfinder Strength of Thousands Adventure Path | Paizo

Chapter 1: Kindled Magic

Magaambya

ArtStation - lie setiawanTeacher Ot accepts your answers with a warm smile, "This is good. Some of you have travelled a long way and learned skills before coming to Magaambya and, of course, you had lives before you became students. Do not think that your lack of magical skill will impede you in a school of magic too much." He chuckles at his little joke, "You are here to learn, after all. Where you start is not important as long as you start. No preference is given for experience, you will need to unlearn many things before you can learn new things."

He takes a few strides to the spire that stands to the right, as you face south into the common room, of the northern entrance to the dormitory. He takes a bead from his robe and throws it gently into the air where is soars up, past the top of the spire and then drifts down. "There is magic everywhere, some less obvious than this."

He peers around at the four of you and then around, "Is there another here? I don't want to repeat myself." He turns round in a circle, looking in every direction.


OOC Scene Notes

There is no active map. When there is please refer to the active map spoiler below.
Please use directions when moving (N, S, E, SE, W, etc)
We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.


 

Show Bookkeeping

COMBAT/CONDITIONS TRACKER

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

 

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

 

Default Marching Order

 

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

 

 

Silas Foljet Thandeka Sun-Steel

 

 

Alandri Malfore  

 

 

Show Active Map

Map goes here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

KaikaraMagus(1).png.730b3b5a3f97473d414b1e83492122e3.pngKaikara, Demon-tainted Matanji outcast

AC: 18 | HIT POINTS: 21 | CURRENT: 21 | HERO POINTS: 1

FORTITUDE: +6 | REFLEX: +7 | WILL: +5 | PERCEPTION: +7

ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.

CONDITIONS: None.


Kaikara watched her peers, listening, carefully, to each of their stories, committing their names to memory, even as she attempted to take some measure of who they were from their words, their demeanor, and, perhaps, more importantly, what they left unsaid.  Silas Foljet, in a manner reminiscent of an aloof feline, seemed to have a certain measure of confidence, that she, herself, lacked.  The manner in which he spoke to Teacher Ot seemed, almost, disrespectful, Kaikara, for her part, couldn't imagine looking upon entrance to Magammbya as some sort of ... punishment.  It occurred to her that Foljet sought to defy his family's wishes, it was expected of him that he, like his forebears, should gain admittance to the academy, should excel at his studies there, and become something of a prodigy.  It was a visceral reaction, for she, who had so long sought the approval of her father, that this young scholar would spurn what she had spent her whole life trying to achieve.  It wasn't jealousy, not exactly, but there was a sense of suspicion, or distrust, as she was unable to fully comprehend why one would turn their back on their own family.

Lilly though, she she spoke, caught the young Matanji's attention, her ... physical characteristics were unusual, and uniquely hers.  However, as an outcast, she recognized one who, too, had endured the spurn, the suspicion, and the fear, that she, herself, had felt among her own peoples.  She spoke of a family, millers and farmers, and, almost absently, Kaikara found herself wondering what it would be like to wake before the sun, work the field beside one's family, shoulder to shoulder with them.  Did they spurn Lily, she asked herself, she hoped not, but she was here, now, and not with her family, had something happened to them, or had something driven Lily from them?  In either case the answer was likely to be painful to the young woman, however, as she spoke of a talent in language, symbols, sigils, and hidden patterns, Kaikara, suddenly, became very conscious of her own lack of understanding about such, more scholarly, pursuits.

When Thandeka spoke, Kaikara felt herself drawn to her, there was something about her, some confidence, not like Silas' quiet arrogance, but something deeper, something warmer.  As she talked about her devotion to the Dawnflower, it made sense to Kaikara, that she would radiate such warmth, compassion, perhaps?  Yet, still, she found herself curious, what would it be like to have such faith, in one's self, in one's path, knowing that one was exactly where they were meant to be, not questioning their decisions, or circumstances that led them to that point.  She hoped to discover a similar, quiet, confidence, too, during her time at the academy.

She shook her head as Teacher Ot asked them a question, day dreaming!  She had been caught day dreaming!  Her brow furrowed as she watched the bead leap from Ot's hand, without a sudden gust of wind, or other phenomenon.  It was curious, but of course this was Magaambya, she was sure that there were dozens upon dozens of such mysteries throughout the academy.  "I ...," she spoke timidly, "I do not think there are any others coming at this time, Teacher Ot.  Though I am pleased to wait, should you wish."

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:


Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Pathfinder Strength of Thousands Adventure Path | Paizo

Chapter 1: Kindled Magic

Magaambya


ArtStation - lie setiawanTeacher Ot bows his head in acknowledgement, "Thank you, Kaikara. I expect that they will catch up."

"For now, I would like to show you round the campus and ask you to perform some small tests for me as we go."

"This is the dormitory, where you will be spending a lot of your time. You'll meet the other students after you've moved in properly," he strides up the steps and through the north facing doors. Immediately inside the entrance are couches on either side of an intricate tiled mosaic floor. This is clearly a common room for residents of the dormitory to hang out in.

 


ChizireOn the right, just after you enter a male catfolk exits his room (A8), stopping to turn and lock his door. He nods at the teacher and the group, pausing to size up Silas.

"New blood, eh, Teacher Ot?" he asks, scratching at one ear.

"I am Chizire," he slides past, offering a bow to each of you, "Ladies, amurrun." This last greeting is a catfolk word his species and is directed at Silas, a neutral enough thing to say. Chizire's fur is neat, as is common among catfolk but his clothing is scruffy and unkempt and on the cheap side. He wears a long string of beads that hands down to his belly, all of different colours and shapes. He also has a distinct smell of raw alcohol about him though he doesn't appear drunk at all. There is something of a slouch in his posture too, as if he is simply too lazy to stand up straight.

"I can't stop. I have a lesson to get to. Pleased to meet you all. I'm sure we'll have a chat later." with that he heads out the other exit to the south and walks lazily away.


ArtStation - lie setiawan"Your rooms are there," Teacher Ot indicated the doors to his left as he reaches the central corridor, "and there. Please choose one each." There are six rooms (A14) to choose from, some with windows, some without, all of differing sizes. Each is neatly made made up but sparsely decorated, ready for someone to move into it. Upon each bed, the heroes find a scrap of yellow cloth folded around a sunburst‑shaped glass bead to add to the string of beads they wear as initiates.

"Yes, the beads," he adds as an afterthought, "Do you wear beads normally? Please add the bead to your necklace to show you are a student. You'll no doubt gather more in your time here."

While you deposit your belongings in the room of your choosing he has set up a row of candles on the floor of the corridor, "There is no time to waste though. I have your first test. Can you light a candle without flint or matches?" He steps back to see how each of your perform.


OOC Scene Notes

The dormitory map is in the spoiler below.
Please use directions when moving (N, S, E, SE, W, etc)
We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.


 

Show Bookkeeping

COMBAT/CONDITIONS TRACKER

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

 

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

 

Default Marching Order

 

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

 

 

Silas Foljet Thandeka Sun-Steel

 

 

Alandri Malfore  

 

 

Show Active Map

SWj4yTQ.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

spacer.pngAlandri Malfore

AC: 15 HP: 12/12 Hero Points: 1

Fortitude: +3 Reflex: +5 Will: +5

Movement: 30ft |  Class DC: 17 Perception: +3

Skills: Acrobatics: +5*, Arcana: +6*, Athletics: +0, Crafting: +3, Deception: +7*, Diplomacy: +7*, Intimidation: +7*, Lore: Nantambe: +6, Medicine: +0, Nature: +3, Occultism: +3, Performance: +4, Religion: +0, Society: +3, Stealth: +2, Survival: +0, Thievery: +2

Active Effects: None Conditions: None

 


Rushed footsteps can be heard just outside the room that abruptly stop as they get closer. You hear a steadying breath and entering the room is a dark skinned elf with an outfit with impeccable taste (in his opinion). His outfit, while a little ruffled and out of place, consists of a long, flowing coat with intricate patterns and embroidery, which is often accented with silver or gold trims. The coat is open at the front, revealing a well-tailored shirt and vest underneath, adorned with intricate beading.

He pairs his coat with slim-fit trousers made from the same material as his coat, which tapers to the ankle and is tucked into high leather boots that reach up to his mid-calf. The boots are adorned with intricate studs, giving them a distinctive and unique appearance.
Alandri always wears a cloak draped over his shoulders, which is lined with fur and clasped at the neck with an ornate brooch with the symbol of House Malfore completing his overall flamboyant and ostentatious appearance.

Despite his lavish attire, Alandri is still able to move quickly and gracefully, as his clothing is expertly tailored to fit his body perfectly, allowing him to move without restriction. Overall, Alandri's attire is a true reflection of his confident and flamboyant personality, making him stand out as he struts into the room.

Alandri’s winning smile and confident swagger covers up the fact that he is tremendously late and makes it look like really it was all planned. His shit eating smirk is something that you just love to hate and also despite yourself hate to love. The confident facade is only broken by the heavy breathing he is doing his best to control and multiple beads of sweat trickling down his face that he abscently dabs with a handkerchief. 

Alandri stops in front of the professor and gives a flourishing bow and says, “Please, excuse my tardiness professor. While the business of the school is to be my primary concern, there were some personal matters that I just simply needed to tidy up before coming here.” That smooth jazzy voice fills the room and again you are confronted with that love to hate, hate to love dilemma.

Alandri turns around to survey the room and spots Silas Foljet. His smirk increases ever so much as he addresses him with a full dose of sarcasm, “Who would have guessed, another Foljet at Magaambya. How original." (Maybe a long standing feud between the Foljets and the Malfores. Take it or leave it)  

He turns to the other three ladies and bows to them respectfully and says, "Greetings ladies." He ends by giving Thandeka a wink.

Sitting down on one of the nearby couches he notices everyone staring at him in anticipation leaving an awkward silence. Teacher Or interrupts the silence and asks Alandri the same questions he asked the others at the beginning of the orientation.

The cocky sorcerer stands back up to address the crew, "right, well my name is Alandri Malfore. If you haven't heard of my name before that's all right it won't take long for you to get used to hearing it. I come from the great Noble family of Maldore in the city of Nantambe. Like Foljet here, my family has been coming here to study and train for about as long as Magaambya has been around. As for my interests, well I love the arts, pursuing my knowledge in the arcane, and of course good fashion." He ends this by holding out his hands for everyone to take in his attire.

Alandri looks over at Lilly with an appraising eye and says, "you, halfling, will look lovely in cerulean silk. It would be quite complimentary to your eyes. If I do say so myself. And I do."

"As for my strengths, well, I think you can all see where my strengths truly lie, but I will elaborate a little. My strength is how convincing I am. Whether that is convincing a beaurocrat to speed up the process, or convincing a ghost that it was all a misunderstanding, or using my ancestral bloodline passed down to me for generations to convince an undead creature to turn to ash." He emphasizes his last point by creating a mote of fire in his hand with a flick of his wrist.

"As for what I have done for the school and those around it. I have…” He pauses to think for a while, his bluster a little deflated and looking a little worried. “Well to be totally frank, not too much. Unfortunately my family is not particularly philanthropic. I feel like apologizing for my lack of community commitment. Guess there is another thing I can do better than my family. Anyways. I do wish to grow stronger here. I have only started to tap my potential and I wish to grow stronger with the school’s help. I plan to take what I learn here and prove myself to my father and maybe along the way right a few of his wrongs.”
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 9ab6d132b9f09ddee59c8f32978c441d.jpg Thandeka Sun-Steel - Human Cleric Application Sheet


AC: 14/16 | HP: 18/18 | Fortitude: +5 | Reflex: +4 | Will: +9 | Perception: +7


While Thandeka shouldn’t be surprised, she is. The Spire Dormitory is… magnificent! Truly magnificent. She turns around slowly as she follows their professor, taking in the exquisite furniture and elegant furnishings all around them. It is like visiting a nobleman’s palace of some sort. Is this where the students are supposed to be housed? It is far, far too lavish, in her opinion. How could they get any work done here surrounded by such ostentation?

When Teacher Ot finally showed them to their rooms, she dutifully took a bead from a room with a window, and then added it to her initiate necklace. It was only then that she realized that she had automatically selected a room which faced the sun in its travels across the sky. This would be most appropriate for a priestess of Sarenrae. She would be better able to perform her morning rituals, praising the glory that is the Dawnflower, welcoming her blessed light each day.

But, no – that would be arrogant of her to claim a room with a view. Maybe either Kaikara or Lilly would prefer it. In any event, she would certainly discuss this with them as soon as she got the chance as she would prefer to room with Kaikara and Lilly as her neighbors, anyway, rather than with Silas.

Thandeka felt… uncomfortable around the catfolk “thaumaturge” (whatever that term means). It wasn’t his race. That was not an issue to the human priestess. And he was certainly a handsome enough entity -- well-bred, well-educated, sophisticated. And he seemed to be supremely confident in his magical skills. It’s just that… he seems to be a little too, well, confident.

To the point of arrogance.

Then Thandeka considered the possibility that Silas – like so many others -- might feel insecure, too. In his case because he was not an… an “arch-mage”, whatever that was. *Sigh* There was just so much to learn here at Magaambya… and she might as well start getting to learn about her classmates, and how best to help them.

And then the doors explode open and Alandri Malfore appears… making a dramatic entrance.

If Thandeka felt uncomfortable before with Silas, the cacophony of feelings that she was experiencing when the elvish “sorcerer” (another new term for Thandeka to learn) disrupted the teacher’s oration….

And did he just wink at her?!

Shaking her head in disbelief, desperately trying to calm her rapidly beating heart, Thandeka tries to focus on what Teacher Ot had just requested of the group prior to the nobleman’s dramatic display of showmanship. Something about lighting a candle?

While Thandeka could easily invoke the goddess’ help in lighting a candle, she considered that using a simple “Light” cantrip would seem too flippant but using “Burning Hands” would be something of a case of overkill. (And she certainly didn’t want to hurt anybody or anything by accident!) She then considered her classmates.

She felt rather certain that Silas and… uh, Alandri could handle such a task. And she felt sure that her new friend Lilly would have little trouble, either. She then cast a furtive glance towards Kaikara and decided on her strategy and tactics.

Picking up one of the candles, she asks for Sarenrae’s blessing and then quietly prays for a “Produce Flame” cantrip. And it is done.

She then hands candles out to each of the others.



Mechanics/OOC

Main Hand: Scimitar
Off Hand: Wooden Shield


Action 1: Your action goes here.

Action 2: Your action goes here.

Action 3: Your action goes here.

     
Edited by artsmythe (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DESCRIPTION Lilly is a small, slender fleshwarp. She mostly resembles a very young halfling lass except for her face. Her head is shorter that what normally would be expected, without having a lower jaw at all. Her eyes are half again larger than typical for the size of her head. Her nose is extremely flat and much longer than most but joined along the bottom. It works much like the gills of a fish in that it has vertical flaps of skin that resemble slender vents. She has no mouth and her voice comes through the air vents of her "nose" instead.

She favors black and gray clothing colors.

WiP
| APPLICATION | SHEET
spacer.pngLilly and Moz
Female, Neutral Good, Fleshwarp (Created), Witch 1


AC: 16 | HP: 17/17 | S/D/C/I/W/C: +0/+2/+1/+4/+1/+1 | F/R/W: +4/+5/+6 | Move: 25' | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception +4
Trained: Acrobatics +5, Arcana +7, Athletics +3, Intimidate +4, L:Farming +7, L:Milling +7, Occult +7, Society+7, Stealth +5, Survival +4, Thievery +5
Untrained: Crafting +4, Deception +1, Diplomacy +1, Medicine +1, Nature +1, Performance +1, Religion +1

Lily flushed with the comments of the newcomer, quite direct and confident. She wasn't used to compliments for the most part, having few of them in her new life.

"Thank you Thandeka." Lilly took the offered candle, holding it in one hand, as she rubbed Moz's eye ridges with her other. She pondered the issue silently for a moment before speaking again, "What do you think Moz? He did say it after all, right?"

Lilly held her candle over Thandeka's already lit candle, the wick of her candle in the burning flame until it caught and then set it down. "There we go. The candle has been lit, without flint or matches, and thank you a second time Thandeka. I've no fire magic prepared right now, so that was quite helpful."


OoC

Summary: ???

Reaction: ??
Action 1: ???
Action 2: ???
Action 3: ???


Offenses (Attack +6):
Dagger (+6; 1d4-1; Agile, Finesse, Thrown 10', Versatile S)
Throwing Knife (+6; 1d4-1; Agile, Finesse, Thrown 20')


Spells (Attack +7, DC 17):
Cantrips

Detect Magic spacer.png (--; --; 30' emanation; --; Registers magic in the area)
Electric Arc spacer.png (--; 1d4+4 electricity; 30'; Ref DC 17; One or two targets)
Mage Hand 
spacer.png (--; --; 30'; --; Targets 1 unattended object of light Bulk or less)
Ray of Frost spacer.png (+7; 1d4+4 cold; 120'; --; Targets 1 creature, does double damage on a critical and inflicts a -10' status penalty to the targets speeds for 1 round)
Shield spacer.png (--; --; --; --; Grants a shield of magical force until the start of your next turn that grants a +1 circumstance bonus to your AC and has Hardness 5)
Level 1
Mage Armor 
spacer.png (--; --; --; --; +1 item bonus to AC,  max Dex mod +5. While wearing mage armor, you use your unarmored proficiency to calculate your AC.)
??? spacer.png (--; --; --; --; --)

 

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

spacer.pngAlandri Malfore

AC: 15 HP: 12/12 Hero Points: 1

Fortitude: +3 Reflex: +5 Will: +5

Movement: 30ft |  Class DC: 17 Perception: +3

Skills: Acrobatics: +5*, Arcana: +6*, Athletics: +0, Crafting: +3, Deception: +7*, Diplomacy: +7*, Intimidation: +7*, Lore: Nantambe: +6, Medicine: +0, Nature: +3, Occultism: +3, Performance: +4, Religion: +0, Society: +3, Stealth: +2, Survival: +0, Thievery: +2

Active Effects: None Conditions: None

 

 


Alandri looks at Lilly with a little smirk and says, "clever girl."

When the candle is offered to the sorcerer to lit it he holds out his hands in front of him and says, "ah yes, no need." He simply waves his hand in front of him and casts Produce Flames to ligh the candle in Professor Ot's hand.

With a smirk he turns to Silas and says, "your turn Foljet or would you like help? There is no shame in asking for help."
 

 

 

 

Edited by MinjaMan (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

KaikaraMagus(1).png.730b3b5a3f97473d414b1e83492122e3.pngKaikara, Demon-tainted Matanji outcast

AC: 18 | HIT POINTS: 21 | CURRENT: 21 | HERO POINTS: 1

FORTITUDE: +6 | REFLEX: +7 | WILL: +5 | PERCEPTION: +7

ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.

CONDITIONS: None.


Kaikara nodded at the student as they entered the dormitory, wrinkling her nose at the strong scent of alcohol, she looked to Ot to see if their instructor had detected it as well.  His smile never faltered as he nodded greeting at Chizere, so the lean Matanji followed his lead.  "Chizere," she said softly, as if trying to commit the name to memory.  Wait, she paused, Teacher Ot was showing them to their rooms, this wasn't an interview, she had been accepted?  How?  Why?  Suddenly there were butterflies in her stomach, and she felt light headed, she reached out a hand to the hallway wall, bracing herself.  She inhaled, deeply, her nostrils flaring as she slowly released a a long, slow, breath.  She hadn't, for once, considered that she would become an Attendant, but rather that she would end up serving as a Magaambyan staff, in the kitchens, a scullery maid, trimming hedges, sweeping paths, mending uniforms, something, but not this.

She shook her head, her vision swimming a moment, before she moved to catch back up.  She noted Thandeka gazing out of the window of the north most room, through the window, as though judging the view, then she realized, the woman walked the path of the Dawnflower, and would, of course, wish to see the sun rise for her morning devotionals.  She smiled, nodded her agreement, as she trailed a hand over the double doors that would back on to the Priestess' room, the intricate pattern on the carpet spoke to her, and she already had ideas for the long, bare, eastern most wall.  The room was ... massive ... with more than enough floor space for her morning rituals, calisthenics and spear forms.  She nodded, looking, through down cast eyes, at Thandeka, "I'm sure the sun will be lovely in the morning."

As Teacher Ot began the testing, the butterflies in her stomach suddenly stopped, her chest felt tight, and she squeezed her eyes shut, for a brief, intense, moment.  This was it, was she a fraud, had her mother's mother, somehow, persuaded Ot to admit her?  If so, it was only a matter of time before the other instructors discovered she had, not an ounce, of magical potential.  Another, steadying breath, okay, candles, without flint or matches.  She watched the other's, Thandeka seemed to be deciding something, a devout worshipper of the Everlight must have a multitude of ways with which to perform the task, and, in time, she choose one.  Loudly, with a conviction that was staggering, Thandeka invoked her patron's name, and the candle burst alight.  The diminutive woman, Lilly, seemed to consider the problem, and approached it with a practical, if unexpected, solution, simply borrowing Thandeka's candle to light her own.  Then Malfore spoke, his words dripping with confidence and condescension in equal measure, before turning to Foljet, his tone sharper than the knife that hung on Kaikara's belt.  In her mind, Malfore was threatened by the Foljet's name and the prestige they held at Magaambya, despite the cat-folk's rejection of that bond.

When it came to her, Kaikara only shook her head, "No," she spoke, as she considered the problem.  "I cannot," she said slowly.  She considered, a moment, her peers solutions, both Thandeka and Malfore used magic as if it were the, only, answer, invoking the names of their patrons, whether the Dawnflower, or their own, powerful, bloodline.  Lilly, for her part, had shown a quick thinking, relying, instead, on those around her, which, in and of itself, was admirable.  However, the Matanji were taught that magic was a tool, and like any weapon, it had it's own time and place.  "At least not here."  She picked up her candle and moved through the corridor to the room that Thandeka had claimed as her own.  She judged the angle with which the sunlight came through the window and drew from her pouch a polished, steel, mirror.  She then removed tinder, thinly sliced wood shavings, from her pouch, she packed it down on the widow ledge, and held the mirror just so, reflecting the sun into the nest of tinder, she held it there a good three or four minutes, softly breathing life into the smoldering tinder, she then tore a small strip of paper from her journal, rolled it into a wick, and set it to the tinder.  When it caught alight, to brought it to the wick, lighting the candle, which she presented to Teacher Ot.  "It is done."

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:


Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 9ab6d132b9f09ddee59c8f32978c441d.jpg Thandeka Sun-Steel - Human Cleric Application Sheet


AC: 14/16 | HP: 18/18 | Fortitude: +5 | Reflex: +4 | Will: +9 | Perception: +7


The priestess sets her lit candle down on a shelf, then laughs and claps her hands in admiration at the girls' unique solutions. "Oh, well done, Kaikara! You, too, Lilly! You are both so clever." Thandeka definitely wants to room next to these two while she attends Magaambya. She would learn much, she thinks.
 

She then turns to Alandri and carefully congratulates him, too. "Very good, Master Elf. You show much promise."
 

Before the elf can answer, though, she quickly moves on to Silas, expecting that the sleek catfolk will also handle the professor's challenge with as much originality and ingenuity as Kaikara and Lilly did.

 



Mechanics

Main Hand: Scimitar
Off Hand: Wooden Shield


Action 1: Your action goes here.

Action 2: Your action goes here.

Action 3: Your action goes here.

     

 

       
Edited by artsmythe (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  spacer.png Silas Foljet - Catfolk Thaumaturge Application  Sheet


AC: 17 | HP: 17/17 | Fortitude: +6 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +4Perception: +4


"Works for me. Got a light, Alandri?" he replies with a chuckle, proffering his candle to the sorcerer.

Silas smiles.

"No shame in delegation, either."



Mechanics/OOC

OOC:


Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

     
Edited by The Foiler (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...