Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Welcome to Morgansfort

GaryD20

Cal laughs as he falls in with the young noble, "Sure, I'm up for a drink or three, assuming you're buying." After a moment as they follow the fiery haired dwarf, he comments, "Looks like she already has more metal than you."

Acquaintances made, the newfound companions begin to make their way toward Morgansfort proper.  Leaving the docks behind, you follow a narrow and winding road that eventually gives way to a wider and more maintained one. Soon, three large towers come into view, rising high into the early morning sunlight. As you get closer the outer wall comes into view, and there in the center of the wall, the Gatehouse. 

As you approach the Gatehouse, you see several soldiers standing about. Two are flanking either side of the entrance. Two more are flanking a long wooden table set up outside the entrance. Sitting at the table is another soldier (this one obviously in charge, judging by his dress) and a scribe of some sort. He is bent over a ledger book scribbling away. Various bottles of ink and quills litter the table before him. 

scribe.jpg.cc9ca82462d43e80806920a3320b55c8.jpg  "Name, nationality, occupation?" He asks. He does so without looking up from his book.

domagoj-rapcak-guard.jpg.3abcc3ad43da65041a88f7d814246774.jpg  The other man sitting at the table, the soldier, watches you with interest, but says nothing. 

Kharn appraised the stonework of the gatehouse for a moment, then gave a non-committal 'hrumph.'

At least they kept order in this city. Or they were trying to, anyway.

"Kharn Stonehelm, of the Dwarven Kingdoms. Mercenary and adventurer. Where do I go to find work in this town?"

As the scribe scribbles away in his book, the soldier sits back in his chair and takes a newfound interest in Kharn. 

domagoj-rapcak-guard.jpg.e079dd66e80ce26f7f5c1f4bb745d18d.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                              

"Mercenary, you say?" The man scrutinizes the dwarf with an appraising eye. "Might could use someone such as yourself in the King's Command. The King can always use someone with that sort of skill set."

scribe.jpg.ac2dbd4e0871d5958fe2a548a5e03297.jpg

"It's the Toothless Dragon Tavern you'll be wanting then," the scribe says, looking up from his ledger. "And I'll be needing one silver from you." He holds out a large wrinkled palm, awaiting said silver from the dwarf.

scribe.jpg.5d314df3f733e66e52c4afad5d26545a.jpg

The scribe takes the silver and drops it into a small wooden chest sitting on the table. From the same chest, he produces a small piece of official looking paper. "You'll be needing this. Keep it on you at all times. It shows that you've paid the entrance tax. It's good for thirty days. After thirty days you'll need to pay another silver and get a new chit. Lose the chit and it'll cost you a silver to get another one."

He then gives directions to the Toothless Dragon and Kharn hurries off.

"Next!" The scribe calls out. "Name, nationality, occupation?"

Edited by GaryD20 (see edit history)

Mortimer Davorus

MortimerDavorus.png.f8f7cc5349a52ebd5bea181cb75795fe.pngMort stepped forward and addressed the scribe and commanding soldier.

"I am Mortimer Davorus, citizen of Havenhurst, the Gateway of the Emerald Coast in the northwest reaches of Meridiana. I'm a fifth generation undertaker, and the apprentice of Helona Glorgyth, one of the master wizards at Karuk Barkul."

For a moment, he had considered not mentioning his former master. If, for some reason, anyone were to contact her to inquire about him, it would most likely be revealed that he had an interest in necromancy. And gods know how much people freak out over that kind of thing. However, given the great distance from the frosty mountain peaks home to his disapproving superior and her habit of avoiding practically everyone, he felt it safe to state her name. Yet, he quite purposely failed to accurately describe himself as her former apprentice. He felt that it sounded better the way he put it and that by being completely truthful (or not even mentioning a master at all) it would only invite more questions.

He provides a silver coin before the need to be asked to do so.

Edited by jokomaisu (see edit history)

scribe.jpg.4ed08a85a37a6400c47dbaf90a96892c.jpg

The scribe scribbles Mort's information into his ledger and takes the proffered silver. Dropping it into his wooden box, he produces a chit and hands it to Mort. He repeats his above spiel about the chit and the entrance tax. "Next!" he calls out. "Name, nationality, occupation?"

domagoj-rapcak-guard.jpg.6937500cd93a7ea3dae7a9de38e03f05.jpg

"Definitely have use for an undertaker," the soldier sitting at the table says. "No shortage of the dead around here. Morgansfort has a certain charm that way."

For a moment, Mort thinks that the sergeant is making a joke, but he quickly dismisses the idea. He sees no humor in this man's eyes.

"Pray you have no need for your own services."

Mordel

After Mortimer, Mordel takes a step forward and states calmly to the elderly scribe:

"Mordel is my given name. I hail from Tarankor, but I've been scouring the lands in the past months, helping out folks here and there. I am a warrior, by trade, just as my father and his father before him, and an adventurer in my own right."

spacer.pngWith that, he gives the silver, then follows the others in to the Toothless Dragon.

spacer.png
spacer.png

Gemlia had nearly caught up with the other dwarf, but was stopped by formality. At least the man was terse.

"Gemlia Ironskar. Nah, not like that. Starts with a g like a gem a th' earth! No, that's a k there. Say, I thought ya were supposed to be smart, eh? Yer sure dressed like it."

It was unclear what Gemlia's tone was supposed to mean. Was it intentional rudeness or simple observation?

"I hail from the great band o'mountains to th' south, Skyreach you folk call 'em. Not me. City by th' name Kar Dunzok. I'm a holy warrior, wieldin' th' power of th' Livin' Forge. If'n that don' work, I smash with my mace."

The overly-loud woman fished out a gold piece and flipped it onto the table. "'Ere, ya got change, right?"

Once she had her change and chit, Gemlia would trudge off toward the Toothless Dragon.

"Pfaw, no such beast...Toothless? Thing'd be dead..." she grumbled to herself.

image.png.d5cbd01123deee207d177598e7575b71.png

If the Scribe took Gemlia's tone as rude or otherwise he shows no sign of it either way. He excepts the gold piece and hands her 9 silvers back, along with the tax chit. 

"Next! Name, nationality, occupation!"

Gray Greencastle

https://i.imgur.com/AoyctJI.jpg   

Gray approaches with silver coin outstretched.  “Here you are good sir,” he says boldly and with noble-minded cheerfulness!

“My name is Grayden.  Grayden Greencastle!” He enunciates his surname, as though it should MEAN something!  

I hail from Slateholm, and I am a swordsman.”  He strikes a rather knightly pose as he speaks!  Well met to you,” he says. Emerald eyes looking specifically and rather excitedly at the Sergeant.

“I do come seeking fame and fortune, but also to serve the goodly king’s army any way I can. I squired for knights back home as a youth, and would relish putting knightly steel to good use.

“Maybe I could help with one of your matters? ANY of your matters, really. If you’ll have me…sire.”

Gray stammers slightly.  SIRE? Maybe it was SIR I was supposed to say, he laments to noble-minded self.  Oh I hope I didn’t just blow it!

Gray hands over his silver, pockets his chit, half-listens to anything the Scribe says, and just stands there probably a bit longer and more awkwardly than he should!

Edited by guitarist (see edit history)