Chapter 1 — Investigating The Pyre

iantruesilver

image.png.5248c381aaecbcba9b8ca9f631612e8e.png

Statblock

Darhana
Female CG Half-elf Ranger (Guide), Level 1, Init 3, HP 12/12,Speed 40ft
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
2-handed longbow (60) +4 (1d8, x3)
Longsword +2 (1d8+1, 19-20/x2)
dagger (cold iron) +2 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Studded Leather, light wooden shield (+3 Armor, +1 Shield, +3 Dex)
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 10
Condition: None

Darhana stayed close to Bianca to protect her as she could.  This was something she had little experience with, so she would just look around for anything or anyone that might be hostile or unusual, while the expert did the investigations.

OOC

none

Name
perception
1d20+10 16

Sister Azura

654945713_PNGimage.png.43e39c008b5a6a0461eb3aa3b4a85ff7.png"So, I suppose my weapon won't be best suited to fighting the undead?" Azura says, looking at her longsword and odachi. The paladin is still hovering near Bianca, taking her promise to look after the not-quite-a-wizard seriously. "Do you know how many people were buried here?" she asks the trainee mage. "Was it just the one, or should we expect to fight more undead?"

OOC: Rolling knowledge (local) to see if Azura knows how many people were buried here.

Edited by madMonk (see edit history)
Name
Know (Local) (Untrained)
1d20+1 13

As much as one might look or reach to feel for anything magical, it seems that the scene here outside the crypt is just exactly the way it is. The deed is done, the horses and ponies are dead, and the skeleton that likely perpetrated it, has also met its end (yet again…)

With the lack of any other clues aside from the skeletal tracks leading from the direction of the crypt, there isn't much more information that can be gathered here.

Azura Only

Besides being a religious site for Varisians in the area, this promontory was the location where Alika Foxglove, a Knight of Aroden and her group made their last stand after they were waylaid by bandits almost a century ago, after defending the then newfound city of Magnimar from a bugbear raid.

That's likely the reason this crypt exists.

[[ Map — The Pyre ]]

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

Statblock

Darhana
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   

"I guess it's time to head inside," Darhana said, taking a closer look at the open crypt door, "as it's clear the prints came from the crypt.  Or we can wait until night to see what comes creeping out."

OOC

see if there is anything interesting or special about the crypt door

Name
perception
1d20+10 11

spacer.pngNoriko nods when she sees the bloody talons of the skeleton.  Looking at Bianca she nods, "I think it less important to sense if there is necromantic magic about, that seems obvious.  However, does your expertise confirm what Darhana is thinking, that hammers and the like might be the best weapons?  Blunt, rather than slicing or piercing?"  The young woman looks at her own star knives with a frown.

Glancing about at the rest of the group, "Do we think it wise perhaps to rest on the threshold for an evening before going in, fresh on the morrow?"

Bianca Pohlo

apprentice_wizard_by_matbudimir_dcrqsex-pre.jpg

Bianca frowns at Noriko.

"Well, they’re, um, made of bones…" she points out. "I’m no warrior but I imagine that makes them hard to… um, well, stab? And this one was crushed, so we know that works."

At the other suggestion, she shakes her head.

"I can’t stay out all night, though!" A scary thought enters her head, and she continues: "These things supposedly came upon the workers whilst they were sleeping - surely it’s better to deal with them in the daytime, rather than risk getting attacked ourselves?"

What would her parents say if she just vanished? It’s bad enough that she’s gone off with a group of - mostly - strangers without telling them; she can’t camp here all day and all night.

Sister Azura

654945713_PNGimage.png.43e39c008b5a6a0461eb3aa3b4a85ff7.png"I'm good to go now. I'm not hurt, and these arms never run out of ammunition," Azura says with a grin, flexing a bicep. "Do any of you need to rest?"

OOC: OMG, she did the pose from the portrait in real life!

spacer.png

"There could be workers inside, hiding from what attacked them, or hiding from the screams.  If they are not outside here, then they are likely inside," Lars says. "Indeed, I believe they were making the place look nice - so waiting out here might be leaving workmen to their deaths inside.  Does anyone know how well things without flesh hear?  Maybe we can shout inside for some signs of life? I don't have a lantern or torches, so I can see so far in." he adds.

OOC Specifics

Short Statblock|CisMale NG Half-Elf Rogue (unchained), Level 1, Init 4, HP 10/10, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 15, Flat-footed 13, CMD 16, Fort 2, Ref 6, Will 2, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
short sword +4 (1d6+1, 19-20 x2)
dagger +4 (1d4_1, 19-20 x2)
javelin (3) +4 (1d6+1, 20 x2)
studded leather (+3 Armor, +4 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
Condition +1 to attack rolls to those that threaten Shalelu; +1 perception to detect traps and to disable device skill to disarm them; +2 saving throw vs enchantment spells and effects; immune to magic sleep.
low light vision

Statblock

Darhana

"I think they would have told us if they still had missing people," Darhana said, "but for me it's okay to continue, or wait, either is fine.  I can run out of ammo for my bow, but sleeping won't change that.  It's mostly spellcasters who might need the rest."

OOC

see if there is anything interesting or special about the crypt door

Heavy set wooden doors sit underneath the stone archway, one slightly ajar. It is not enough to fit a person though perhaps, but at least this is evidence enough that the crypt is not locked.

(( When opening the doors to enter the crypt, please give me a strength check. ))

As the heavy doors swing open, the faint light from outside reveals a long chamber with risen platforms on either side. A faded painting of a woman in armour is on the far wall.

spacer.png

The room itself appears to be the site of a gruesome battle, with two bodies piled in the centre and a number of skeletons scattered around them on the floor.

An echoing wail can be heard somewhere in the distance, beyond this foul chamber.

[[ Map — The Pyre ]]

spacer.pngNoriko enters with the others, looking around.  Approaching the two bodies she gestures and speaks archaic words that echo strangely as she observes the two bodies.

CastingDetect Magic
School divination; Level bard 0, cleric/oracle 0, druid 0, inquisitor 0, magus 0, psychic 0, shaman 0, sorcerer/wizard 0, summoner/unchained summoner 0, witch 0

CASTING

Casting Time 1 standard action
Component: V, S

EFFECT

Range 60 ft.
Area cone-shaped emanation
Duration concentration, up to 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance no

DESCRIPTION

You detect magical auras. The amount of information revealed depends on how long you study a particular area or subject.

1st Round: Presence or absence of magical auras.

2nd Round: Number of different magical auras and the power of the most potent aura.

3rd Round: The strength and location of each aura. If the items or creatures bearing the auras are in line of sight, you can make Knowledge (arcana) skill checks to determine the school of magic involved in each. (Make one check per aura: DC 15 + spell level, or 15 + 1/2 caster level for a nonspell effect.) If the aura emanates from a magic item, you can attempt to identify its properties (see Spellcraft).

Statblock

Darhana

"There is certainly something around here" Darhana said as she moved after Noriko, looking around, "further down.  But we best make sure we have some torches.  I unfortunately also didn't bring any"

OOC

spacer.pngWhile holding concentration on her spell, Noriko absent-mindedly reaches back to her backpack and draws a torch from a special sheath, passing it to Darhana.  "Do you have means of lighting it, I have a tinderbox as well."

Edited by Wiz (see edit history)