Chapter 1 — Investigating The Pyre

iantruesilver

image.png.5248c381aaecbcba9b8ca9f631612e8e.png

Statblock

Darhana
Female CG Half-elf Ranger (Guide), Level 1, Init 3, HP 12/12,Speed 40ft
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
2-handed longbow (60) +4 (1d8, x3)
Longsword +2 (1d8+1, 19-20/x2)
dagger (cold iron) +2 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Studded Leather, light wooden shield (+3 Armor, +1 Shield, +3 Dex)
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 10
Condition: None

"Let's have a closer look," Darhana said, "if someone can help me move that dead horse, we can have a look at what's underneath."

She was sure that there were undead around here, but more information always made it easier to prepare, so she started moving the dead horse to see what was underneath.

OOC

none

Name
strength check
1d20+1 7

Sister Azura

654945713_PNGimage.png.43e39c008b5a6a0461eb3aa3b4a85ff7.pngAzura walks over to Darhana to help move the horse out of the way. “I don’t sense any evil on these things. It could be that they were destroyed, or they were never animated in the first place.”

Name
Strength!
1d20+4 7

spacer.png

Kaichar

"Allow me." The hunched tiefling steps closer to the body, helping Darhana to lift the corpse, shouldering as much of the weight as he can manage.

Mechanics

Strength

Name
Strength
1d20+3 8

Statblock

Darhana
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   

"Okay, we'll have to work together," Darhana said, taking hold on another place, "on three everybody.  One...two...three"

On three she pulled again, this time making sure she had a good grip this time around.

OOC

I'll take 10 for 11 in total.

After some trouble with the initial execution, Darhana took charge to direct the others with the lift, with Noriko joining in in a timely manner.

Between the four of them, they managed to heave the horse's carcass up and a short distance to the side, uncovering the entire skeleton that had previously been trampled and scattered underneath.

Lowering the horse's dead body, those that had intended to check out the skeleton before return to their task, and it's now clear to see that this set of bones is clearly very old. At the distal end of some of the phalanges, there are not only stains of fresh blood, but also torn chunks of flesh, some with torn shreds of hair that look to match the colouration of the horse that had just been moved.

Statblock

Darhana

"Undead are obviously lacking in the brain department," Darhana said with a chuckle, "this skeleton ripped into the horse only to have the horse fall dead on it and crushing it. Oh the irony."

She couldn't hold herself and burst out laughing, imagining the horse falling over on the skellie.

OOC

none

Bianca Pohlo

apprentice_wizard_by_matbudimir_dcrqsex-pre.jpg

"Ugh..." Seeing the others move the horse’s body makes Bianca’s stomach twist and she looks away. As they begin to inspect the bones underneath, she turns back to try and see, simultaneously trying to keep her distance from the unpleasant view and lean closer to peer at the skeleton.

"I, uh, well, I’ve read a bit about, um, undead…" She says. "That kind of magic is… well, it’s not the sort of thing that I study, but…"

The evidence seems to suggest that these bones really were brought to life by some dark magic! She tries to remind herself that such creations are amongst the weakest of the undead, mere semblances of life that are only truly dangerous in large numbers… yet she cannot help a shiver running down her spine at the thought of those skeletal abominations creeping around near here.

Name
Knowledge (Religion)
1d20+9 19

spacer.pngNoriko shakes her head, not finding the humor in this situation.  "This is the result of foul magic... and it is a dishonor to the bones of whomever's ancestors these may be."  Ameiko's sister turns to Bianca, "What should we know about fighting such things?  What weapons would be most effective to end the foul semblance of animation that they possess?"

spacer.png

That dead horse smell is going to be hell to get out of their clothing, Lars thought as he watched them move the horse, a little shamed he did not help when Noriko did. "If we can find where the dark magics woke up this person's remains, we should put it back. As to how to kill it, something about the horse made it dead or it got crushed by the weight.," Lars says. He ponders a few seconds more, "Maybe we should chop off a horse leg so we have a dead horse with us if we meet its brethren?" he asks.

OOC Specifics

He has no knowledge religion but if there is an untrained value allowed in game (some GMs allow it) he would try to think of stories.

Short Statblock|CisMale NG Half-Elf Rogue (unchained), Level 1, Init 4, HP 10/10, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 15, Flat-footed 13, CMD 16, Fort 2, Ref 6, Will 2, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
short sword +4 (1d6+1, 19-20 x2)
dagger +4 (1d4_1, 19-20 x2)
javelin (3) +4 (1d6+1, 20 x2)
studded leather (+3 Armor, +4 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
Condition +1 to attack rolls to those that threaten Shalelu; +1 perception to detect traps and to disable device skill to disarm them; +2 saving throw vs enchantment spells and effects; immune to magic sleep.
low light vision

Statblock

Darhana

"I'm not sure," Darhana said as soon as she could speak coherently again, "but somehow I think my bow is not going to be the best weapon.  I would think that hammers and the like would be best.  And healing magic, that much I do know."

OOC

none

Neskas Weengoditin

spacer.pngNeskas keeps his eyes on the surroundings while keeping an ear on the conversation. "I'm afraid I don't know anything about undead."

Statblock

Neskas Weengoditin S NG Gnome Cavalier, [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init15[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 13/13, [B]Speed[/B] 15[B]AC[/B] 19, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 18, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 4, [B]Ref[/B] 1, [B]Will[/B] 1, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1   [B]reach Lance (-) [/B] 4 (1d6+2, x3)[B]  Longsword (-) [/B] 4 (1d6+2, 19-20/x2)[B]  Shortbow (20) [/B] 3 (1d4, x3)[B]  Scale Mail[/B], [B]  Heavy Steel Shield[/B] (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex, +1 Size)[B]Abilities[/B] Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 14[B]Condition[/B] None 

Snappy
M N WolfDog Mount (Charger), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 2, [B]HP[/B] 18/18, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 17, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]CMD[/b] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 4, [B]Ref[/B] 5, [B]Will[/B] 1, [B]CMB[/B] +3, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1   
[B]  Bite [/B] 3 (1d6+2, x2)
[B]  Studded Leather Barding[/B] (+3 Armor, +2 Dex, +2 Deflect)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 15, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 6
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch and OOC

Name
perception
1d20+7 11

Bianca Only

If indeed some kind of magic was the cause of this skeleton attacking the horses and ponies, it would undoubtedly be some form of necromancy.

That said, it would be unreasonable to assume that this has anything to do with the Pyre, as this is a ritual site for Varisians in the local area, and was used extensively prior to the founding of Sandpoint.

It is also the burial site of Alika Foxglove, a Knight of Aroden and saviour of the newfound city of Magnimar almost a century ago.

Looking back at the stone archway, you note that one of the doors at the entrance is ajar. Could the work party who had been here to do some cleanup and restoration still be found inside?

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

Bianca Pohlo

apprentice_wizard_by_matbudimir_dcrqsex-pre.jpg

Bianca looks back at Noriko uncomfortably, and nervously pushes her glasses back up her nose.

"Um, well, um... necromantic spells can animate bodies or, um, bones… they aren’t very strong, the weakest of the undead; it looks like this one was crushed by the horse." As she talks, she seems to lose some of her nerves and focuses more on the facts and figures she can remember. "Undead can haunt old places like this, but… this is an old Varisian site, that was used a lot back before Sandpoint got so big, so… it seems unlikely. Besides, they wouldn’t have sent worker with no guards if there was any chance of that."

She shrugs, not quite sure what to make of it all.

"I, um, I can test to see if there’s any trace of necromancy?" She suggests.

Carefully, she repeats the incantation of revealing that will allow her to discern any magical auras in the area… this time, keeping her distance, just in case this skeleton, like the orc, decides to try and grab at her!

Edited by TheFred (see edit history)