Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Terror on the Farm

GaryD20

Mortimer Davorus

MortimerDavorus.png.f8f7cc5349a52ebd5bea181cb75795fe.png"Those waiting to strike should be off the ground. Perhaps hidden in a cart set nearby the bait would be the best option. The rest of us will be in the loft for a wider view of the surrounding area," Mort adds to their planning.

"Also, these attacks happened without noises being heard. Maybe this creature - or creatures - have some way of muting sound. We'll need to agree on some signals to use so we can communicate with each other, especially since we will be split into two groups."

image.png.7c6d9e2f6cbf25886700e5eebf788593.png

Aelric nods his head as the companions begin to discuss their options and make their plans. "Do what you must to end this. Use whatever you need from around the farm. I'll leave you to your planning. I'm going to check in on the boy, Barth."

Aelric turns and heads off toward the farmhouse.

PlansYou guys let me know what the plan is here. What's the overall strategy? How are you gonna go about implementing it, etc.
I'm just going to assume that whatever you need for the plan is available on the farm. Within reason, of course.

spacer.png
spacer.png

Nodding with finality, Gemlia said, "Good. Now, I hadn't thought about bein' off th' ground--I had enough o' that on th' water--but it's a fine idea. Thing burrows, dun'it? Fine thinkin' there, Mort."

Turning to count the full crew assembled, the Dwarf continued, "So, that's most o' us in carts. Mordel and Kharne take that cart. Gray and I'll take this'n. Mort goes... in th' hayloft er somethin'--ye look... frail."

She looked at Gray and slapped his arm. "And you; I want t' see that same enthusiasm when this thing shows, eh? Show us why it ought fear ye!" 

Gemlia needed to get better at speeches...

Gray Greencastle
https://i.imgur.com/AoyctJI.jpg  
Gray exudes tremendous belly laugh!

“Yes,, dwarven friend.  I will stay foul beast with cold steel.  It will be stupendous, that I promise!”

Gray looks for good hiding places and vantage points.  To keep close eyes out for pending danger.

Character Sheet Gray Greencastle, Human Fighter!

The companions spend the rest of the day planning and getting things ready for the night to come.

Aelric, at one point, comes out to deliver a large basket of food and pitchers of water. Nothing fancy, just an assortment of dried meats and fruits, cheese and bread.

At another point, Aelric informs you that the boy, Bart, has recovered from his paralysis. The boy was still frantic with fear, on the verge of hysteria, and had to be given something to make him sleep. "Kept going on about something in the ground. Teeth and tentacles. I pray it's more delirium and less truth. Doesn't sound like anything I would want to come across. Much less at night."

image.png.7c6d9e2f6cbf25886700e5eebf788593.png

The first night goes by uneventful for the companions.

The second day is spent much like the first, talking plans and strategies and waiting for nightfall. Aelric makes a couple appearances with food and information on Bart. The boys condition has improved overnight. Although no longer hysterical and terror stricken, he isn't doing much talking. "Still in shock is my guess," he offers.

As dusk begins to settle in on the farm, the companions begin settling in for their second night of waiting...

Well after midnight, as the moon begins its descent toward the horizon, a sound comes to Mordel's ears. Straining to make out what it is, he soon realizes that he is hearing the agitated sounds of the few cows and horses in the corral behind the barn. 

OocOk, so I have Mordel and Khane in one cart. Gemlia and Gray in a second cart. And Mort up top in the barns hayloft.

That's what I'm going with.

Good luck!!

And just because I may (or may not) be needing them shortly, everyone make a SURPRISE CHECK. That way I'll already have them if needed. I may not need them. This is just to save time in case I do.

Also, give me INITIATIVE ROLLS. Again, just so I'll have them already, when/if needed.

spacer.png
HP 6/6 AC 16
After an hour or so of no movement, Gemlia had pulled her shield free and began etching on it mindlessly. She was carving a symbol of an anvil surrounded by fire.

She was thankful for the continuous snacks and drinks, though wished it were ale instead of water.

On the second night, the Dwarf woman took to looking at the stars; a clear sign she was becoming bored. She tried to stay vigilant, but until she heard--or felt--something out of the ordinary, she had no reason to really pay attention.
Name
Surprise
1d6 4
Initiative
1d6 6

Gray Greencastle

https://i.imgur.com/AoyctJI.jpgGray jumps into action!

“Sounds, and commotion!  It surely must be DANGER, my friends!  I mean, what else EXCITING could possibly happen here?  It’s just a FARM, for crying out loud!

“Ready your heroic selves, dear friends!”

Character Sheet
Gray Greencastle, Human Fighter!
Edited by guitarist
+1 Initiative (DEX) = 2 (see edit history)
Name
Surprise
1d6 5
Initiative
1d6 1

spacer.png
HP 6/6 AC 16
Gemlia snapped back to attention with wide eyes as Gray began going off about something.

"By th' Forge, s'about damn time," she grunted, moving herself into a kneeling position to peer over the cart's edge. She made sure mace and shield were ready.

"Gray...?" she asked with a momentary pause. "Exactly what commotion?"

With heightened senses, the party goes on the alert.

The agitation of the corral animals intensifies. Some begin trotting around nervously. Others press themselves against the railings in apparent attempts to distance themselves from something unseen.

As the animals scatter, a single cow can be seen standing alone at the center of the corral. It doesn't move. It doesn't make a sound. It just stands there, eerily.

Suddenly, the cow falls over on its side. Still no movement or sound comes from the animal. 

Then faintly, the sound of rending flesh, slurps and chomps, can be heard. 

spacer.png
HP 6/6 AC 16
"Wha--Hey! That's not..." Gemlia stuttered as the creature's arrival was announced.

Leaping out of the cart and running forward on stubby legs, the woman brought her shield forward and mace above her. "IT'S DWARF TIME!!!!!" she cried out, hoping to reach the thing in time.