Terror on the Farm

GaryD20

Gray Greencastle

https://i.imgur.com/AoyctJI.jpgLeather armor. It’s NOT very knightly. But for ol’Gray, there is one advantage to wearing light armor. It makes it easier to climb a nearby tree!

“Can someone give me a boost, please? I think I can try achieving a better…vantage point?”

He says his last sentence, a declaration, like a question. Which, is typically a very annoying way for anyone to talk. But hopefully coming across as intended. That our noble fellow is trying very hard. Even if only reaching for straws!

Name
Climb a tree to lookout
1d20+2 15

Mordel gives Gray a boost and the warrior scampers up the tree. After reaching a spot in the tree that gives him a respectable view, Gray begins searching for anything of interest that may help them track the worm.

At first, Gray can make out nothing in the darkened forest. After several minutes, his eyes begin adjusting to the surroundings. Nothing obvious jumps out to him at first. Then, just as he is about to give up, he spots... something.

In the darkened forest, Gray can't really make out what he is seeing. But something definitely has caught his eye. Off in the distance something is breaking up the uniformity of the trees. Whether natural or manmade is hard to tell, but something, some sort of structure, is definitely out there.

Edited by GaryD20 (see edit history)

Gray Greencastle

https://i.imgur.com/AoyctJI.jpgGray scurries back to the edge of his tree. Dangling by a branch in the knightliest way possible!

“It’s out there, friends. I see it. At least, I think I see it. I see something moving in the dark. It’s probably it. I mean, I’m pretty sure.

“Let’s go get it!”

After pointing out the spooky image, Gray scurries back down the tree, trusty sword well in hand.

“Look out, below!”

Character Sheet
Gray Greencastle, Human Fighter!
Edited by guitarist (see edit history)

spacer.png
HP 6/6 AC 16
As the group came upon the area of silence, Gemlia grew concerned. She made sure to have her shield and mace at the ready.

"I don't like how quiet it is... Feels unnatural."

When Gray spotted something, she asked, "Well what kind of something? Ya need t' use yer words!"

The Dwarf tried to spot whatever it was as well.
Name
Looking with Wisdom
1d20+1 14

Mortimer Davorus

MortimerDavorus.png.f8f7cc5349a52ebd5bea181cb75795fe.pngMort follows Gemlia closely as they make their way deeper into the forest. Despite having burnt out a while ago, he still clutches the torch. The thrill of the corral battle has long faded and now he is once again filled with anxiety.

"No shame in turning back now," Mort tells the gloomy forms of the others in the shadow-layered woods. "I can mark some stones with chalk - arrows showing the direction we just came from - to help guide us during the daytime should we return to this spot. It feeds at night and it is injured. I hope that means it will rest throughout the day and provide us an opportunity to catch it off guard."

With Gray leading the way, the party follows the knightliest knight deeper into the forest, in the direction of where the structure was seen.

After several minutes it finally comes into view.

The structure is large mound of rocks and boulders that form a cave like dwelling roughly twelve feet high and twice that in circumference. The mound is overgrown with trees and brush. There is a opening between two of the boulders that seems to lead inside. The opening is about twice the height and width of a human sized doorway.

Inside the opening there is only darkness...

Edited by GaryD20 (see edit history)

Gray Greencastle

https://i.imgur.com/AoyctJI.jpgGray leads his party through forested darkness. Coming to end of trail. He points gauntleted hand at the cavelike structure just ahead.

“End of the trail, friends. I am ok to bed down, come back at first light. But I say we press on, while we’ve opportunity to do so.

“We should not tarry.”.

Gray strikes a familiar heroic pose. He voice less jubilant than usual, more dour. As though there’s an unusual hint of direness in his voice.

Character Sheet
Edited by guitarist (see edit history)

Mordel

"Such an ominous opening is a bit foreboding..we could make campspacer.png not far from here and check it out while we have some natural light. This creature seems nocturnal, as well, so we could have an actual chance to surprise it during daytime, if the trail we're following even leads to that..What do you say?", Mordel says, feeling a bit uneasy by his companion's description.

Edited by eltorin (see edit history)

Mortimer Davorus

MortimerDavorus.png.f8f7cc5349a52ebd5bea181cb75795fe.png"The creature we seek burrows," Mort whispers, pointing at the large entry into darkness. "It doesn't need doorways. If it is in there somewhere, it may have taken over the den of something else. Or it is not there at all, but something else may be."

spacer.png
HP 6/6 AC 16
Gemlia eyed the structure carefully, taking particular note of the entryway's size.

"I wager we'll have less chance to catch our prey at night. It'll be off hunting, likely," she offered as they spied the rocks.

"I agree; make camp nearby and see what we can with th' little light left, then come back t'morrow in earnest. But... Mortimer has the right of it; there may yet be something else there. Th' size o'th' entry-way seems not a coincidence, aye?"

Gray Greencastle

https://i.imgur.com/AoyctJI.jpgGray acquiesces to wise counsel.

“Very well. Good points, made by great people!

“I will take first watch, if it pleases the group.

“Years of long service to knights taught me to sleep lightly. Until I begin sleeping heavily, that is. Then I begin snoring, loudly. I’m told it’s horrible. But I’m always asleep, so…so I wouldn’t know.”

Once a campsite is achieved, Gray begins unfurling his bedroll for a night of uneventful peace and tranquility.

Character Sheet

688911746_dwarffighter.png.d3db669df9d597a6fc52602ce3d257eb.pngKharn has been following along silently, axe at the ready.

When the group agrees on camp, he shrugs.

"Keep a sharp eye. Ear too," he says to Gray. "Wake me in a couple of hours. I'll take the next watch."

The dwarf eyes the entrance to the den.

"We wounded it. Maybe it will die in the night."

As his companions settle down for what remains of the night, Gray readies himself for first watch.

An uneventful two hours later, the sun begins to creep into the morning sky. Even so, the rising sun does little to penetrate the darkness of the forest. Visibility increases slightly, but not substantially.

Gray notices that even though morning is dawning, the forest still remains eerily quiet.

OocMorning is dawning.

Nothing happens during the first two hours of Gray's watch.

What's the next move?

Mordel

At the first light, Mordel's eyes pop, old habit.spacer.png He asks Gray in a low voice, "Everything was quiet, I presume? Thanks for taking first watch. Let's wake the others, have a few quick bites and see what's in there". Then goes on to gently wake the others, if it's even possible to disturb the dwarves' snoring.