Terror on the Farm

GaryD20

Gray Greencastle

https://i.imgur.com/AoyctJI.jpgGray scarfs down a trail ration and begins rousing his companions..

“Yes Mordel, let us get ourselves into yon cavelikevstructure. For that now that we’ve reached first light, we will venture forth untrammeled. Nothing will go wrong, ever.

“We should not tarry.”

Gray strikes a familiar heroic pose. Clearly ready to get on with his destiny!

Character Sheet
Gray Greencastle, Human Fighter!

spacer.png
HP 6/6 AC 16
"Wot? No, wasn't me..." Gemlia replied in her half-asleep state as Mordel awoke the group from their nap.

The cleric awoke fully with a loud snort and bleary eyes, sitting up. "No, please, I want jus' eight more hours..." She pinched the bridge of her nose to fight back the headache.

Breakfast put the Dwarf in a better mood, but she was still grumpy. "I'll enjoy knocking the Hells from whatever's in there. The sooner I get back t' bed. C'mon then." Gemlia started walking to the cave.

DungeonMapDoodle(20).jpg.87fb1ad8e16ce9bf83ebeb21eb0c1748.jpg 

With Mort leading the way, the companions enter through the cave entrance. The cave is dark and damp. After pausing for a moment to let their eyes adjust to the cave, the companions take in their surroundings.

They find themselves in a low narrow tunnel roughly 10'-feet wide and 10'-feet tall. The tunnel is cramped with large clumps of rock and rubble. Peering through the narrow gap between the first clump of rocks and the cave wall, Mort can see that the tunnel splits into two different passageways.

OocThe 1 is the cave entrance area.

Mort is at the first clump of rocks, peering through the gap. Everyone else is behind him.

In the lantern light, Mort can just make out that the tunnel forks off into two different directions on the other side of the rock clump.

spacer.png
HP 6/6 AC 16
"Good adventurers go left, right? I heard tha' somewhere," Gemlia said, stepping passed Mort. "They also let the armored ones lead. Take shelter behind my shield."

Looking around, Gemlia crept forward with the intention to go down the left-hand path. She sniffed at the air and licked her lips, wondering if she could feel the sensation of air current. Lastly, she looked at the dirt to see if there were the same tell-tale signs of worm activity--or worse.
Name
If wanted: Wisdom to spot stuff
1d20+1 15

Mordel

"I can't argue with that, please lead the way. We'll remain vigilant.", and with that, lines up behind Gemlia, spacer.png

while at the same time, straining his eyes to see what's lurking in the shadows.

DungeonMapDoodle211(2).jpg.fe1d61713f07ea463d9293ce342ba8e5.jpg

Stepping past Mort, Gemlia squeezes through the gap between the clump of rocks and the tunnel wall. As she waits for the others to follow, the dwarf looks about sniffing at the air. The definite smell of water fills her nostrils.

As Mort steps up beside her, casting his lantern light down the tunnel, the way ahead opens up. Large clumps of rock still fill the tunnel here and there and there is a slight decline to the floor. She sees no sign that the worm as been this way.

After about 30'-feet, the tunnel opens up yet again, this time revealing a large rock and debris strewn chamber. There in the center of the chamber is what appears to be a well (8'-foot circumference). The well is obviously manmade and seems out of place inside the crude cave tunnels and chamber. The ceiling of this chamber rises to a height of 15'-feet.

To the right of the well is a large pile of dirt and debris (approximatley 20'-feet long, 10'-feet wide, several feet tall). It is set somewhat inside of a recess at the back of the chamber.

Mortimer Davorus

MortimerDavorus.png.f8f7cc5349a52ebd5bea181cb75795fe.png"Interesting," Mort whispers at the sight of the well. He moves his lantern from the left to the right as they look over the area. "Doesn't seem like there is anything that will try to kill us in here. Let's go check the other passageway."

As he walks along with Gemlia, Mort gently places one hand on her shoulder. He intends to give her a firm jolt if he hears any unnatural sounds.

Name
Listening
1d20 2

spacer.png
HP 6/6 AC 16
"I don't like th' look o'tha' loose dirt. Could be somethin' in it, but also full of sharp, dirty things," Gemlia said as she indicated the pile of dirt to the right.

The Cleric took a moment to peer into the well before turning back and checking that other pathway.

Gray Greencastle
https://i.imgur.com/AoyctJI.jpg  
Our noble fellow keeps pace with his party. Striding towards the other passageway.

“Anything in the well, my friend? And yes, the loose dirt is interesting. Clearly someone has been through here lately

Gray stoops low and checks cavernous ground for tracks.

Character Sheet Gray Greencastle, Human Fighter!
Name
Tracking
1d20+1 3

Quickly glancing down into the well, Gemlia can see the light from Mort's lantern reflecting back at her.

There is obviously water inside the well. How far down or how deep the water may be is impossible to tell from such a quick glance.

With that, the companions turn and head out of the chamber and make their way back toward the entrance and the second tunnel...

DungeonMapDoodle211(2).jpg.b84b86cb61c2a337406b39c3973bf61c.jpg

Following Mort and his lantern, the companions make their way back to the fork at the cave entrance. Without wasting any time, the party sets off down this second tunnel. Like the first, it is cramped with clumps of fallen rock and debris.

Mort leads the group slowly, picking his way cautiously through the clutter. After roughly 70'-feet the tunnel ends in a set of stairs. The stairs ascend 10'-feet and lead into a darkened entryway.

Mortimer Davorus

MortimerDavorus.png.f8f7cc5349a52ebd5bea181cb75795fe.png"I think we should thoroughly investigate the first area before we head up these stairs," Mort whispers to the group. He will also suggest that one of them stand guard at the fork while the others conduct the search.

Gray Greencastle
https://i.imgur.com/AoyctJI.jpg  
Our noble fellow keeps watch at the fork. Whilst kind companions conduct heroic investigation.

“Yes, I will stand sentry while the rest of you conduct a search. This is a good group. We will be victorious this day, my friends!

Gray stands guard. Ever watchful for troublesome trouble!

Character Sheet Gray Greencastle, Human Fighter!

spacer.png
HP 6/6 AC 16
Gemlia inspected the stone steps as the group came up to them. She was glad to see they were of a normal size. "Good, no giants in our future today," she said, somewhat to herself.

Looking back to Mort, the Cleric agreed begrudgingly. "Forge's embers, I was hoping t' hit something with my mace soon," she replied with obvious disappointment. "Fine, let's have a look around," she said, beginning to look at the floor more closely. It was obvious worms wouldn't use the stairs. Perhaps she could tell if the dirt had an incline around the edge; maybe the nest really was higher up?
Name
Have a look around
1d20+1 11