Character Creation

Eborne1

COMPENDIUM OF Q's and A's

for your convenience. 

Q: How do I make a character that will survive The Turning?

A: With one part Cleverness, One part Courage, and Two parts sheer Luck.

Q: Any 3pp material?

A: None (except for the Wrathful Creature Template)

Q: Tech Companion and Vehicles allowed?  

A: No... All electricity and battery power in the world is dead for now. 

Q: Alternate Racial Traits? 

A: Allowed 

Q: Using any Supplemental Rules ie Vigor etc...? 

A: None for now

Q: Are any Psionic Classes allowed?

A: No

Q: Musket Master and their Fast Musket ability?

A: Reduces reload by 1-step for Rifles. (stacks with Rapid Reload) 

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)

With the Wrathful Template should we assume our characters are angry at all non-Corrupted? The Pure? Is it just a function of Corruption that we are more naturally angered?

Are magical abilities part of the Turning or were they in existence beforehand?  i.e. Is the following referring to magic and supernatural abilities or simply the increased strength of gestalt: "...many developed strange and powerful abilities."

Edited by Jagael (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Jagael said:

With the Wrathful Template should we assume our characters are angry at all non-Corrupted? The Pure? Is it just a function of Corruption that we are more naturally angered?

Firstly, I'll say, that your character needn't be angry as a normal quality of their personality or character.  But also, it should be considered that within the past two years, likely every single person you knew and loved died and the world has descended into a fairly violent and desperate state of survival.  So anger is probably warranted. 

Angry at all Non-Corrupted...? Not necessarily, although developing a character with prejudice toward non-corrupted is reasonable and acceptable.  Angry at the PURE...? Not necessarily either by default, although they do hate you, practically to the last member. They hunt you and will likely kill you on sight unless they decide to torture you first.  So you can make of that what you will. 

I suppose the 'wrathful vengeance' template could be simply described as a uniting quality of focus and motivation to act against the evil and injustice that has risen or will rise against you. 

Perhaps imagine the "Doomslayer" from the game "Doom"...  He doesn't just fight back and defend himself against the evil... He SLAYS with a certain vengeful spite, if I may say so.                    

4 hours ago, Jagael said:

Are magical abilities part of the Turning or were they in existence beforehand?  i.e. Is the following referring to magic and supernatural abilities or simply the increased strength of gestalt: "...many developed strange and powerful abilities."

Magical Properties are a product of the Turning and weren't there beforehand...  "... many developed strange and powerful abilities"?  Yes, this refers to the advent of magic in the world.  

3 hours ago, Abalon said:

Are we going to be using any supplement (ex: Ultimate Combat)?

I'm not quite sure what that is.  Is that like alternate rules ie. wounds and vigor etc?     

Gotcha.  As far as I can tell, all the 'class and archetype' material from that sourcebook (unless stated otherwise in the character creation guideline) is allowed.  

At this time, I don't plan on using any alternative damage rules or other alternative rulesets. 

I hope this answers your question.                   

As humans, can we take feats that are only available to other races? Since this is a Wrathful Creature template. I think some Orc/Half-Orc feats might be interesting to me.

I am torn between a Barbarian/Shifter or something like the Gunslinger - Siege Gunner | Brawler - Constructed Pugilist

Is Brawler ok for the gestalt?

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Steel Warrior said:

As humans, can we take feats that are only available to other races? Since this is a Wrathful Creature template. I think some Orc/Half-Orc feats might be interesting to me.

I am torn between a Barbarian/Shifter or something like the Gunslinger - Siege Gunner | Brawler - Constructed Pugilist

Is Brawler ok for the gestalt?

No to non-human race feats, only because I feel that in such a game, Orc Ferocity lines might create some unfair advantage and I don't want everyone taking the same feats. 

Brawlers are allowed, but I'd like to ban guns from being used as primary melee weapons (via improvised weapons) for similar reasoning as stated above.
(Head, feet, knees, and toes, however, are all fine choices with which to kill things)  

So, characters are all L3 Gunslingers who are essentially also L1 in something else, but with an effective L3 for a couple of features? Out of curiosity, why gunslingers? I mean, it’s set in the US, I guess, but presumably some characters could be ordinary people without much knowledge of weapons?

What does Guns Everywhere mean for archetypes which swap out Gun Training? Also do characters start with, like battered revolvers or something rather than battered pistols?

29 minutes ago, TheFred said:

So, characters are all L3 Gunslingers who are essentially also L1 in something else, but with an effective L3 for a couple of features? Out of curiosity, why gunslingers? I mean, it’s set in the US, I guess, but presumably some characters could be ordinary people without much knowledge of weapons?

What does Guns Everywhere mean for archetypes which swap out Gun Training? Also do characters start with, like battered revolvers or something rather than battered pistols?

All good questions...

Re: Levels: Yes, I think you have the basic starting mechanics more or less correct.  Characters will start at levels 3/1 (primary/secondary class)... HOWEVER, some class abilities (listed) will begin as if the characters are starting at level 3/2... then next level, they will be as if at 4/4.    

Re: Guns: For a few reasons.  #1 It is just how I originally envisioned the game. (Sort of a Doom type game)  #2 Guns are the primary weapon used in modern warfare today and if an apocalypse hit, I imagine many people would use them for self-defense/survival if they were available, and since it's the U.S. we all know they're more than available. 

It would make sense that most of the characters were just ordinary people and not gun experts, prior to 'the turning', but for the sake of the game, it should be presumed that they've had to learn to use them while surviving the past two years.         

Special request regarding Wrathful Creature.
I understand the concept behind it. The template is what makes us corrupted. BUT hear me out. I can dig all the abilities you gain, what if we can adjust the ability score bonus to other stats, instead of just STR and Con. Maybe allow us to use 10 bonus stats wherever we want without point buy penalty. (Nothing beyond the +6 to one stat that is available in the template)
Some corrupted are wise beyond their years, or cunning, or maybe one corrupted is alluring using his/her whatever exotic charms.

Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +6, Con +4.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

The request is legitimate and respectable but I'm going to decline.  My reason is that I feel DEX is already a VERY powerful stat, especially with the addition of EITR rules and the fact that characters are already going to be pretty DEX focused with the guns.  The ability bonus is a significant boon and keeping it STR/CON as well as balanced the way it is makes sense to me from a narrative standpoint and doesn't concern me too much from a mechanical one with players becoming too Min/Max.             

1 hour ago, Eborne1 said:

The request is legitimate and respectable but I'm going to decline.  My reason is that I feel DEX is already a VERY powerful stat, especially with the addition of EITR rules and the fact that characters are already going to be pretty DEX focused with the guns.  The ability bonus is a significant boon and keeping it STR/CON as well as balanced the way it is makes sense to me from a narrative standpoint and doesn't concern me too much from a mechanical one with players becoming too Min/Max.             

lol I was more thinking of McGuyver where he can rig a truck with bubblegum and a toothpick.