Character Creation

Eborne1

49 minutes ago, BBK said:

As traits are allowed, how is the Well Provisioned Adventurer trait handled when starting at level 3 instead of level 1? Just use WBL and subtract the maximum starting gold?

That works.  

52 minutes ago, BBK said:

Would straight pistol-whipping someone with gun be using an 'improvised weapon' since it is being improvisationally used like a club?

Sorry, but I decided to ban this mechanic. (I'll add it to character creation).  There's an archetype ability that is called pistol whip, that requires grit, which is allowed. (not the same... i know)  But no guns as primary melee weapons.  You can always smack someone with the pistol if you want, in a pinch, but you gotta take the normal -4 to hit.  (You can make a monk or brawler or unarmed fighter and kick people instead??  elbow??  headbutt??

59 minutes ago, BBK said:

If you take the Firebrand archetype, and gestalt Alchemist, you'd have two sets of bomb types - would bomb-related Alchemist Discoveries affect both types? 

They would indeed, however, due to the wording of the ability and that it specifically states that the abilities don't stack, you'd have to keep the two types separate and they would function differently and use different stats for bombs/day and damage.    

"Firebrand bombs function as an alchemist of her gunslinger level – 4, using her Charisma for bombs/day and damage. Even if you have the Throw Anything Class Feature from Alchemist. And they always act as if under the "explosive bombs" ordinance."  

So I would rule that Firebrand bombs WOULD benefit from Alchemist Discoveries... but the automatic "explosive bombs" discovery from Firebrand wouldn't apply to Alchemist bombs unless you took that Alchemist Discovery separately.   

Do we have access to the Gumsith's Kit when buying starting equipment? If so, does the ban on pre-game crafting also prevent us from using the Gunsmith feat gained at level 1 Gunslinger to allow the Masterwork Upgrade (300gp) for the class's starter gun? Also, the fact that it costs the full 300gp for a masterwork weapon component instead of 1/3 the cost like very other masterwork component item crafting is weird and jarring - you'd normally be better off just making a better weapon and putting the extra 200gp towards the raw material cost.

Also, if the Gunsmith's Kit is available, will we be able to use unspent starting cash to properly craft a new gun at the start of the game? Seems a little silly to buy a brand new gun with starting WBL to replace the 'basic' one you get with the Gunslinger class if we can just make our own in the first day by spending a day crafting and paying only 1/2 the cost of raw materials.

Gunsmith Kit is available to buy out of the gate & I will allow the masterwork upgrade for the starting weapon (ONLY) as a pre-game craft if people want to drop the 300 from their starting cash.    

Remember that Gun Crafting costs 1/2 regular price instead of 1/3 and downtime may be a precious commodity in this game.  Also, not everyone will put points in Craft and those checks will need to be passed.            

1 hour ago, Eborne1 said:

Gunsmith Kit is available to buy out of the gate & I will allow the masterwork upgrade for the starting weapon (ONLY) as a pre-game craft if people want to drop the 300 from their starting cash.    

Remember that Gun Crafting costs 1/2 regular price instead of 1/3 and downtime may be a precious commodity in this game.  Also, not everyone will put points in Craft and those checks will need to be passed.            

Gunsmithing feat specifically states that, unlike other Crafting skills, "You do not need to make a Craft check to create firearms and ammunition or to restore firearms." You essentially spend 1 day for every 1,000k of the crafting price.

Only paying 1/2 for firearm crafting materials (and only 10% for ammo) is stated, but still somehow full market price for the masterwork component for some reason - I was confused why it also wasn't at least knocked down to 1/2 like the base materials. It's 300gp extra when you buy it as a masterwork, so still paying full price when crafting it yourself, despite having at least some discount in every other instance of crafting in the entire tabletop system, just seemed super odd was all. Probably just a money sink to try to balance out the free gun? Meh, but if they wanted to balance out the free gun that no one else can use, they wouldn't have put in specific info on how much you can sell it for. But, that assumption is predicated on balance. lmao

Edited by BBK (see edit history)

@BBK Ohhh... I see.  In that case, I'll allow pre-game crafting of ALL mundane firearms with or without the masterwork component for 1/2 price.  Additionally, one can pay full price to upgrade their starting gun to masterwork as per the rules.

All other pregame craftings will have to wait.  

Aside from that, I must return the guns to their original prices, since everyone gets them 1/2 off anytime they want.                

Are the various Alternative Racial Traits allowed, or is it straight vanilla human only? Since I'm picking up Alchemist as my gestalt, I'm eyeballing the Alchemically Enhanced or Heart of the Fields alterantive human traits as possible options, if they are allowed.

Just out of curiosity, are the Technological Companions & Vehicles variant for animal companions on the table? Because a motorcycle gunslinger sounds badass.

Technically, anyone could start with an animal companion by burning two feats. Skill Focus (Knowledge Nature) + Eldritch Heritage to take the Sylvan Bloodline. So with Technological Companions & Vehicles, anyone willing to burn 2 feats can start with a motorcycle. Or another type of vehicle...but we all know that motorcycles are obviously cooler. By RAW, they don't even require fuel without DM fiat. :)

1 hour ago, BBK said:

are the Technological Companions & Vehicles variant for animal companions on the table?

I debated this early on... but decided that (at least at the start of the game), all  AC and DC electricity is out... which includes batteries.  So no mech dogs or trucks or motorcycles for the time being.  

5 minutes ago, Eborne1 said:

I debated this early on... but decided that (at least at the start of the game), all  AC and DC electricity is out... which includes batteries.  So no mech dogs or trucks or motorcycles for the time being.  

Not even steam power?

spacer.png

lmao

Uhhh..... negative.  Although, if there's ever a month and a half of downtime to smelt and forge all that custom shiz, I might consider someone building something like that down the line.