Character Creation

Eborne1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about 80% complete on my application, and going through gear, there's a few things missing that I'd like price checks for.

1: Knife-bayonet. The modern firearms give us socket bayonets, but doesn't specify whether or not the bayonet works when not mounted to its gun. I'd like one that does (Dagger stats? Maybe without the throwing range?) so I don't have to carry another melee weapon.

2: Binoculars. Like a spyglass, but less exorbitantly expensive.

3: Bolt cutters.

4: Just a check to see if you'd allow something. So you know how smoke sticks have to be set on fire in order to work? Who's got time for that when the bullets are coming in? So what if you fill a vial with a smoke stick and just a tiny dollop of Alchemist's fire? Then when you throw it, the vial breaks, and the fire ignites the stick and creates an instant cloud of smoke-a poor man's smoke grenade.

6 hours ago, Demented said:

1: Knife-bayonet. The modern firearms give us socket bayonets, but doesn't specify whether or not the bayonet works when not mounted to its gun. I'd like one that does (Dagger stats? Maybe without the throwing range?) so I don't have to carry another melee weapon.

I've not been allowing guns to be used as melee weapons. We may dip into the 'modern firearms' down the road, but for now, it's just from the 'advanced' selection though homebrewed to be quite a bit better. I may consider bayonets down the road, though I think I'll have them handicap the gun accuracy and range. For now, though, no bayonets.

2: Binoculars. Like a spyglass, but less exorbitantly expensive.

I'll do 60% off spyglass price on binoculars.

3: Bolt cutters

50 bucks

4: Just a check to see if you'd allow something. So you know how smoke sticks have to be set on fire in order to work? Who's got time for that when the bullets are coming in? So what if you fill a vial with a smoke stick and just a tiny dollop of Alchemist's fire? Then when you throw it, the vial breaks, and the fire ignites the stick and creates an instant cloud of smoke-a poor man's smoke grenade.

Wand of Obscuring Mist isn't cheap. Let me think about it.

34 minutes ago, Abalon said:

I forgot what the consensus on silencers was. I think we said no?

Also I saw another application with MW plate. Does Modern armor have any change compared to regular armor?

Silencers are just named Suppressors and are near the bottom of the Homebrew portion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2023 at 5:32 AM, Demented said:

So you know how smoke sticks have to be set on fire in order to work? Who's got time for that when the bullets are coming in? So what if you fill a vial with a smoke stick and just a tiny dollop of Alchemist's fire? Then when you throw it, the vial breaks, and the fire ignites the stick and creates an instant cloud of smoke-a poor man's smoke grenade.

That just sounds like a Smoke Pellet with the increased duration and extended area of a Smoke Stick. Too bad you can't just light actual Smoke Sticks and seal them in vials to throw them within their 1-minute duration. I assume sealing the vial would snuff the flame and cause the duration to end early.

Using a Smoke Cartridge fired from a Scatter gun would at least accomplish a similar result to a Smoke Pellet but instead of 1 round would last 1d4 rounds. Which is still...not great. But, that's the best as far as non-magical first-party means I'm aware of.

1 hour ago, Demented said:

That's the idea, yes. The area and duration of the smoke pellet are just too small to be useful for much of anything.

Yeah, just about anything you could do with the standard action it would normally take to use one would be more useful than dropping a 5' square of smoke for all of 1 round. Smoke Pellets are considered Splash Weapons, right? If so, you could at least theoretically use a Hybridization Funnel to add its mediocre effect to another more useful splash weapon.

I mean...it could be argued that alchemical ammo like the Smoke Cartridge also fits the textual definition of a splash weapon as written since it doesn't say it has to be thrown. Just that it's a ranged touch attack that 'breaks on impact' and affects the target 'and surrounding area'. So maybe a case could be made to use a Hybridization Funnel to play mixologist?