Character Creation

Eborne1

It's a lovely aesthetic.  Hopefully, everyone feels the Homebrew Guns are power-balanced pretty well... It was totally off the cuff. 

Lets move the convo to OOC chat... to keep this a little cleaner.  I need to go through and summarize Qs and As.  

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)

Hmm I have several questions but they are all about Wrathfull Creature abilities, moreover, those abilities are pretty similar so I'll just as all of them at once. I'll also just paste their effects in OOC together with the names as a convenience, so you have a quick reference point.

Blood FeudIf a wrathful creature kills or entirely eliminates its chosen foe, it loses the benefit of this template. The template is then transferred to the closest blood relative (or friend) of the chosen foe that the wrathful creature killed, destroyed or used its Worse than Death ability on (see below). Ok, this one is the one that kinda interests me the most. I'm interested in the scope of it. For example, can I declare the Feud on all "The Pure" or all "Condemned"? If not how lower can be scope? For example, specific Tribe or Faction of The Pure, Condemned, or something third? Or is maybe lowered just to a specific family? or even just a few individuals? When I started I figured it was kinda similar to Ranger's Favored Enemy. All "The Pure" or faction that hunts us. Is that too broad and do I have to choose right away?

Vengeful ListSometimes at the time it gains this template, a wrathful creature makes a mental or literal list of those chosen foes against which it has sworn vengeance. If it does this, it gains the benefit of the bane special weapon property against these listed chosen foes. If the wrathful creature’s new CR is 15 or higher, the enhancement bonus of the bane property increases by two and adds an additional +3d6 damage. In addition, if the wrathful creature scores a successful critical hit against the listed chosen foe, that opponent must make a successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 the wrathful creature’s Hit Dice + its Constitution modifier) or suffer 10 points of damage per Hit Die of the wrathful creature. (This even affects creatures immune to critical hits or death magic.) The wrathful creature does not gain this benefit against chosen foes who are added to this list later; once the list is completed the creature’s vengeance is sated and it loses the benefits of this template This one is obviously very connected with the first one, so with this one I'm more interested in timing. Do I have to write the list right away or I can wait until one of those I'm feuding with specifically gets under my skin so I place him or Her on my list?

Discern KithA wrathful creature often assaults the friends, family, and loved ones of its chosen foe rather than attacking the foe directly.

Most often, the wrathful creature wants the opponent to suffer as the wrathful creature has suffered. Once per day it can learn the names of one of these creatures (GM’s choice), its relationship to the opponent, and can locate this person as a discern location spell.
And as the last one, this one is connected with the last one. And if the answer is that I can build my list as the game goes, then this one is already answered and you can ignore it. However, if the answer is no, then I'm not sure about either of those. Except maybe draw someone from my first character's past, from Bio, and go from there, although that I see as the messier option. Since the world has undergone change, people from his bio did too, and his best friend might now be his worst enemy. So prematurely writing a list I think it would be a mistake.

Also while I'm here, I'd like to see how set you are on Good Alligment. He was certainly an awful person but before The Turning, he was on a path to turn his life around and he first started from himself before he could get to any atoning for his sins so if he had more time he might become Good, but just before turning I'd more placed him on Neutral side of the scale, maybe even Lawful Neutral but he had a long way to go to Good before "The Event" happened. I'm close to finishing with fluff and about 50% done with mechanics. They can be done in a jiffy when these questions are answered. Until then I'll concentrate on finishing Fluff. Besides fixing some grammar I have to add "1 Event That Happened During These 2 Years" I have even sketched out on the paper I just have to detail it in the app.

The answers to all three template ability questions can be summarized thusly:  

Don't worry about it.  It will be explained and is a part of the narrative.  You don't need to know or make any kind of list yet. 

For alignment. Just be any good alignment (on paper) but it's not a big deal and you can roleplay like a neutral character... even one that battles with the dark side. (*But deep down, you're a good person... I know it.)

Think John Constantine or Hellboy... Antiheroes.   

6 hours ago, ahanna12345 said:

Hey this game looks awesome. 

Q. For the extra shot on the semiautomatics can you use that ability for standard actions or only full attacks.  

Good question. Probably full attacks only. I made up those gun stats on the fly, so I may need to make some adjustments.  I'll make it a point to get to that and the next day or two. 

On 5/7/2023 at 5:09 PM, Eborne1 said:

The answers to all three template ability questions can be summarized thusly:  

Don't worry about it.  It will be explained and is a part of the narrative.  You don't need to know or make any kind of list yet. 

For alignment. Just be any good alignment (on paper) but it's not a big deal and you can roleplay like a neutral character... even one that battles with the dark side. (*But deep down, you're a good person... I know it.)

Think John Constantine or Hellboy... Antiheroes.   

Cool. My fluff is done and now I'm jumping into the remaining mechanics (Feats, Skills and Traits)

15 minutes ago, BBK said:
@Eborne1You've nixed 'ectoplasmic suits' so that would normally nix the Aegis class completely, except there is the Integrator archetype for the Aegis class that swaps out the Astral Suit armor for integrated cybernetic enhancements. Thoughts?

Interesting... but no.  Sorry.   

Another couple questions on the home brew guns.

Q1. How does reloading work with rapid reload and Musket master. Musket master lets you reload a two handed firearm as a 1 handed firearm. Does that even apply here? Should it be just two handed firearms reload goes down 1 step. (Full/standard/move/free)

Fast Musket

Fast Musket (Ex) At 3rd level, as long as the musket master has 1 grit point, she can reload any two-handed firearm as if it were a one-handed firearm.

Edit new to Baldr and not sure why my spoiler tag isn’t working aww well. 
Edit 2 Fixed thanks @Grudge

Edited by ahanna12345 (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, ahanna12345 said:

Another couple questions on the home brew guns.

Q1. How does reloading work with rapid reload and Musket master. Musket master lets you reload a two handed firearm as a 1 handed firearm. Does that even apply here? Should it be just two handed firearms reload goes down 1 step. (Full/standard/move/free)

[Spoiler =“Fast Musket”]Fast Musket (Ex) At 3rd level, as long as the musket master has 1 grit point, she can reload any two-handed firearm as if it were a one-handed firearm.[/Spoiler]

I’d like to be able to reload my bolt action rifle as a move with fast musket and rapid reload. 

Edit new to Baldr and not sure why my spoiler tag isn’t working aww well. 

Spoiler here work a bit different. It is not hard, press the "Spoiler" icon and it's shown what to write where. It mainly confuses fast typers who are used to writing tags rather than fiddling with icons.

Fast Musket

Fast Musket (Ex) At 3rd level, as long as the musket master has 1 grit point, she can reload any two-handed firearm as if it were a one-handed firearm.[

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

Also while I'm here just a quick one about skills. I have Craft (Firearms) and Knowledge (engineering). So without actual machines, I doubt I'd be able to make a modern firearm. For example one of the party wants a new Sniper Rifle, and I simply don't see having the necessary facilities to do so. He'd be able to make maybe working replicas of older guns using an old-timey setup (I watched videos of people making replica Peacemakers, Winchesters, and such) that could be manageable. But making say .50 Cal sniper I just am not sure 10 natural 20's in a roll would help me there. How do you see it working? I mean even modern small arms are not any more work of artisan Gunsmith but computers and such.

Unless you have some already planned solution, the only one I could figure out would be maybe some mix of Scavenging and that old-timey artisan Gunsmith. Maybe he's squirreling parts from enemy modern guns that got ruined and making Custom replacements. For example, trading, finding, and making (and naturally good rolling 😆 ) Could, in time have him make that .50 cal Sniper but it would definitely be different from the one coming from the factory. Different Scope, few parts here and there he had to craft himself, modified bipod from some automatic weapon, Hunting rifle butt. But it WOULD be a .50 cal Sniper. That is one way of doing it.

The second one would be for him to make "Condemned Weapons", with his small manufacturing rig instead of trying to imitate The Pure he makes weapons for "his" people that fit their quirks and the amount of material he has on hand. I guess that was questions together with 2 suggestions. And of course, I'll find out you already got that covered. 😆

As for Knowledge (engineering), it's more simple. Just a question. I assume it would help me fix weapons when they get knocked about (or are found that way) and maybe fix some machines, maybe put on paper some designs, nothing too crazy? Basically, mainly complimenting Craft (Firearms) but having the ability to say know what's wrong with a say water purifier, even if we'd need someone with Crafting skills...Infrastructure? Electronics? to actually fix it. Am I on the right track?

Also to piggyback off @The Foiler I took a few feats basic for ranged builds (like Precise Shot), while they are mostly conected with Bows and Crossbows I assume they would work on firearms too unless specified otherwise?

@ahanna12345 No problem, although I believe that's a Fieldset 😁 , the Spoiler being 2 to the right. But you got the concept. Also, the first icon is Preview so you can check does everything look like you want.

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Eborne1 said:

Interesting... but no.  Sorry.   

Damn. I'd had an idea of a mechanical engineer whose corruption hit him when he was using a laptop as a pillow during an involuntarily nap, and waking up with its mechanical bits all up in his biology.

@ahanna12345 Welcome.  I'm going to be taking a hard look at the homebrew guns today and polishing everything up.  As for now, I would rule that the Musket Master ability reduces reload times on Rifles by one step.  Add in Rapid Reload and a musket master can eventually reload a bolt action rifle as a move action.  Just keep in mind that bolt action rifles hold 7 rounds, so you don't have to reload every round (of gameplay) like with primitive guns.    

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)

@Grudge .50 cal rifles aren't even on the table.  But as far as "machining" parts from scratch with no machines... I'd say we'll just have to suspend disbelief a bit in some areas.  It is still a fantasy game after all. 😉 

You can flavor any crafted guns however you want, as long as they function as described.