Character Creation

Eborne1

On 4/30/2023 at 10:46 PM, Eborne1 said:

I suppose the 'wrathful vengeance' template could be simply described as a uniting quality of focus and motivation to act against the evil and injustice that has risen or will rise against you.

The only thing is, that template requires you to have a chosen foe (or foes). As a template that just reflects being corrupted and generally angry, sure, it kinda works, but it also really seems to want you to have a really significant blood feud as part of your story.

(Also, when you get a Rage Power using Cold Vengeance, how long does it last for?)

On 5/1/2023 at 11:09 PM, Eborne1 said:

#1 It is just how I originally envisioned the game. (Sort of a Doom type game)  #2 Guns are the primary weapon used in modern warfare today and if an apocalypse hit, I imagine many people would use them for self-defense/survival if they were available, and since it's the U.S. we all know they're more than available.        

I guess I was thinking that, whilst many people would have them, it wouldn't necessarily be everyone; even if you could raid a corner shop or whatever, it feels like ammo especially would become a very valuable commodity very quickly and probably not freely available.

But, well, #1 is a bigger reason anyway. 🙂

On 5/1/2023 at 10:43 PM, TheFred said:

What does Guns Everywhere mean for archetypes which swap out Gun Training?

I'm not quite clear on this one still. Guns Everywhere I believe says that you get Gun Training at L1 instead of Gunsmithing... but some archetypes swap out Gun Training. Would you still get Gun Training at L1, and then whatever you would have gotten at L5 normally at L5, or do you get the swap at L1 and only get Gun Training if and when you would normally have had it?

3 hours ago, TheFred said:

The only thing is, that template requires you to have a chosen foe (or foes).

Eh.... rules are more like guidelines since homebrewing is a thing and we're not in society play here... But especially so with template qualifications.  I wouldn't get too bogged down with such technicalities or my games will only drive you insane.     

(Also, when you get a Rage Power using Cold Vengeance, how long does it last for?)

A good question... The rule is a bit poorly written.  I'll rule that (once per day) A character gets Rage (as per the spell... not the barbarian ability)  PLUS one Rage Power for which they qualify, using their HD as their Barbarian Level...  for one round per HD.

I guess I was thinking that, whilst many people would have them, it wouldn't necessarily be everyone; even if you could raid a corner shop or whatever, it feels like ammo especially would become a very valuable commodity very quickly and probably not freely available.

Maybe... but making bullets isn't terribly hard and there are estimated to be over 300 million guns and 12 trillion bullets in the private sector in the U.S. and only about 15 million people are still alive.   So that's 20 guns and 800,000 rounds available per person on average.  I think it's fair to say that most people could find a gun if they wanted to.  And it's only been two years since the Turning, bullets are probably still in ample supply.  I'm sure lots of people don't have guns... All our characters do though and all the people trying to kill them do.      

but some archetypes swap out Gun Training.

I believe only Bolt Aces swaps out the gunsmithing feat.  Those dastardly rogues don't get gun training. They're on their own with the crossbows.        

I was talking about archetypes which swap out Gun Training. "Guns Everywhere" swaps out Gunsmithing for everyone: "The gunslinger loses the gunsmith class feature and instead gains the gun training class feature at 1st level."

43 minutes ago, TheFred said:

I was talking about archetypes which swap out Gun Training. "Guns Everywhere" swaps out Gunsmithing for everyone: "The gunslinger loses the gunsmith class feature and instead gains the gun training class feature at 1st level."

Oh, I see... good catch. 
Of the 5 allowable archetypes that alter gun training, Firebrand is the only one that's pretty fuzzy...

Lets say:

Musket Masters, Bolt Aces, Mysterious Strangers, and Pistoleros all get their normal Guntraining substitutions at L1. 

Firebrands get normal "Gun Training" at L1 with the option of swapping it out for their Bombs ability at whatever level they feel is most convenient.

EDIT: Firebrands can use Gun Training with normal rounds (not dragon's breath) OR they can use the "Siege Gunners" 'Targeted Blast' ability with Dragon's Breath, until they swap out the ability for Bombs.      

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)

spacer.pngOk, this is the first time I play with Wrathful Creature templates too (A lot of firsts for me here 😆) so my first question is about that. I'm looking at Augmented Creature and is written  (CR varies, 3 pp) what if anything should I cut it to make it rules compliant (that is CR 1) I have a kinda idea not really about cyborg but during the event he got blasted with a lot of metal and it kinda  fused with him ( I changed his pic to reflect that) and not some special stuff just normal objects, my headcanon is that that metal that sticking out of his hand and neck are actually just pieces of his bike he worked on that day.

Compared to the first one, the second question is straightforward but didn't see it answered yet. Deadly Agility feat yes or no?

So I'm not allowing any additional templates to be added to characters.  You can add all the fluff you want but besides alternate racial traits and the Wrathful Creature template, they're all just normal humans as far as mechanics go.  

2 hours ago, Eborne1 said:

So I'm not allowing any additional templates to be added to characters.  You can add all the fluff you want but besides alternate racial traits and the Wrathful Creature template, they're all just normal humans as far as mechanics go.  

So something like Wrathful Creature + Human, Neanderthal? Also what about Deadly Agility Feat, is it allowed? Apologies if Wrathfull Creature questions sound dumb to you but as I said I never used the rule and I arranged templates by type and only Human one was that one.

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Eborne1 said:

Just the normal Human Race.  Deadly Agility is not permitted, nor other 3pp feats.    

Apologies if all Wrathful Creature questions seem dumb to you, I just never used them and I'm kinda new to it and want to be 100% certain. So Basically just make a normal Human Character (I'll have that fused with his bike be his Condemned thing from Character Creation without any mechanical changes except looking like that) and add a Wrathful Creature template (+6 Str, +4 Con, and those abilities) everything else is just Gunslinger (Pistolero) 3/Brawler 1?

Firstly,  ASK ALL THE QUESTIONS... It's not a problem. 

Secondly, That works...  "The Turning" might have been experienced differently by different people... Perhaps, what was a simple sudden dying of those around them for some people was an explosion experience for your character, who was perhaps near some kind of ley line in the earth or something that had a weird reaction. (Dude looks gnarly btw)

The rest looks good.  Make sure ability stats are between 8-18 before adding the STR and CON Template bonuses.  Also, be sure to note what Brawler abilities progress at DOUBLE speed... per the Character Creation Homebrew list.    

Ah, I hadn't caught the house rule of losing Gunsmithing. So, if we want the Gunsmithing feat in order to craft a better gun pre-game, we'll need to take the feat seperately. I'll need to do some re-calculating and fix my sheet, in that case.

Oh right... Ha.  I guess I'll edit those rules.  For some reason, in my mind, I just imagined Gun Training as an advanced form of Gunsmithing.  Idk. 

Anyway, It makes sense though since guns are everywhere, nobody needs to craft them...

ALL guns are only 10% of the posted cost, per the "Guns Everywhere" rule.   So everyone can afford to get themselves whatever guns they need.

49 minutes ago, Eborne1 said:

Firstly,  ASK ALL THE QUESTIONS... It's not a problem. 

Secondly, That works...  "The Turning" might have been experienced differently by different people... Perhaps, what was a simple sudden dying of those around them for some people was an explosion experience for your character, who was perhaps near some kind of ley line in the earth or something that had a weird reaction. (Dude looks gnarly btw)

The rest looks good.  Make sure ability stats are between 8-18 before adding the STR and CON Template bonuses.  Also, be sure to note what Brawler abilities progress at DOUBLE speed... per the Character Creation Homebrew list.    

I noted the ability exceptions and basically have a stat line in mind already, I also doubling of Brawler abilities although for that I'd have a question. I'll use damage increase as the exception. At lvl 1 dmg is 1d6, does that mean I jump directly to 1d8 (next dmg in line) or jump to damage from 3rd lvl which is still 1d6. Both are fine since even at the second example I'll get to 1d10 level sooner I believe I just want to be certain.

Also, now one thing I did miss. If guns are at 10% and I can pre-craft 1 does that mean I basically can start with a revolver for just 200 gp?

5 minutes ago, Grudge said:

At lvl 1 dmg is 1d6, does that mean I jump directly to 1d8

At L1 your unarmed damage will be as if you were L2... which is still the same.  At Brawler L2 it will be as if L4, etc... 

5 minutes ago, Grudge said:

Also, now one thing I did miss. If guns are at 10% and I can pre-craft 1 does that mean I basically can start with a revolver for just 200 gp?

I changed the crafting rule... Nobody can pre-game craft now, since nobody starts with gunsmithing.  (my bad).  So everyone can purchase guns with starting cash at the posted cost on the Homebrew page (which is already at 10%)

5 minutes ago, Eborne1 said:

At L1 your unarmed damage will be as if you were L2... which is still the same.  At Brawler L2 it will be as if L4, etc... 

I changed the crafting rule... Nobody can pre-game craft now, since nobody starts with gunsmithing.  (my bad).  So everyone can purchase guns with starting cash at the posted cost on the Homebrew page (which is already at 10%)

Oh cool, I was looking when they were still in thousands, I saw change now. Probably 2 revolvers due to my love for them over Pistols. Might invest in two-hand fighting since EiTR has it simplified and go with two of these puppies once before I die.spacer.png