Out of Character thread

Vladim

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, thesloth said:

@Vladim although I am engaged with a foe, nothing in 2E keeps me from choosing to strike at whichever of Thammegil's opponents is within reach of my sword correct?

Hm.... Good question. I'll start by asking on our Discord.

@thesloth Ok, I asked in our Discord because I don't have easy access to the book over the weekend. The consensus seems to be that the rules are a bit opaque whether this is allowed; in first edition it wasn't possible and second seems similar. Basically, unless you're an archer, you need to deal with your enemies before engaging others.

We can wait till tomorrow, if you want, so that I can check the book for myself and ask the official TOR discord. I am not sure if they'll give a clearer answer.

Now, the game also emphasizes rulings for trying actions not covered by the book, so we could also handle it with other ways:

1. Make an Athletics check. On a Great success or better, you can immediately attack any enemy you want, even those engaged with other players. On a success, you can, but must wait till the next round. On a failure, you waste your action. This represents moving through the battlefield and pushing/avoiding orcs to get to those you want to target.

2. You can swap stances with another PC; then you exchange engaged enemies. I think this is not allowed by RAW but since everyone is fighting near each other, I think it makes sense. Both players should agree to their PCs swapping stances. For example, Arton could switch to Forward and Bláin to Defensive, and exchange enemies, if you and Diofant agree (Thammegil is staying in forward so not possible this round).

Hope this makes sense! Let me know what you want to do!

4 hours ago, thesloth said:

Ok, interesting. 

I'm willing to swap stances if Thammegil needs a break. Otherwise I will continue as is and hope next round let's me kill my foe before Thammegil gets taken out.

I think Thammegil is sticking to forward, so if you want to swap stances, you can coordinate with Suzuki to do it for round 3. Up to you two!

3 hours ago, thesloth said:

It sounds more like I should just switch stances, and draw more of them my way.

If Arton switches to forward is that going to draw additional new enemies or draw enemies from the current number engaged by us? 

The book is a bit unclear on that. It's my impression that you'd draw fresh enemies, but that seems a bit too harsh.

Let's split the difference and say that if you switch now (to Open or Forward) I will take one of Thammegil's orcs (randomly determined) and assign him to Arton. So it would take a little bit of the heat off of Thammegil.

@thesloth I think the tor syntax does roll the d12, and it did for your roll. It was a 1, but luckily I think you have this 'chosen of Gandalf' Lifepath option, which makes your 1s on the d12 count as 11s (the number 11, not Eye of Sauron). 

Major event: Growing up, you became...
…favoured by the Grey Wizard: Gandalf the Grey has developed an interest in you, for reasons known only to him. Whenever you make a roll, treat any 1 rolled on the Feat die as an 11*. Raise the Eye Awareness of your Company by 2.

*as in, the number 11, not a Sauron.