Out of Character thread

Vladim

32 minutes ago, thesloth said:

Ok, next question. I have more enemies facing me than I have dice. Do I lose all my D6's in defensive or is there a hard minimum I get to keep?

Hm.... let me check... this is what the book says, I also posted it at the beginning of the fight (linky😞

DEFENSIVE STANCE (CLOSE COMBAT) You fight conservatively, trying to protect yourself or others and holding your ground. All close combat attacks aimed at you lose (1d). Your attack rolls lose (1d) for each opponent engaging you.

My reading of this is that you lose one die per enemy, but if enemies > dice pool, you can only go as low as having only the Feat die (the d12). It seems silly to lose the Feat die or go into negative d6 territory, and I don't think it was the designers' intention. 

There's also still a rule (like in 1st edition) that no more than 3 enemies can engage you at a time; the idea is that it gets too crowded past that. In your case, it's irrelevant; as I wrote in the linked post above, in Defensive you'll only be facing one Orc Soldier, so you only lose 1d6. Looking at Arton's stats, that would mean tor(1) (aka 1d12 + 1d6) with his longsword.

Does that make sense? 

Edit: Sorry for the emoji, it just auto-adds it on Baldr.

My corselet gives me 2d for the protection test and my helm gives 1. I assume the helm doesn't do anything since this was not a hit to the head.

So I plan on rolling two dice, unless there is some other bonus I've forgotten?

9 minutes ago, thesloth said:

My corselet gives me 2d for the protection test and my helm gives 1. I assume the helm doesn't do anything since this was not a hit to the head.

So I plan on rolling two dice, unless there is some other bonus I've forgotten?

Nah, 3 dice. The rules are not so detailed, and there's no mechanics for targeted blows. They're abstractions more than anything. So 3 dice!

5 hours ago, thesloth said:

Looks like this is going to hurt.

That's indeed a failed protection check. According to the new rules, now you have to roll another Feat die (1d12, or you can use the tor(0) syntax). The outcome determines the severity of the wound:

Gandalf: A moderate wound, it heals after a few hours post-combat, leaving no lasting harm.

1-10: A severe injury; the number rolled indicates how many days it will take for the wound to heal. First aid via Healing rolls (from yourself or another companion) can reduce this number.

Sauron: Grievous injury. You instantly lose all Endurance and are knocked out, and are now dying (it's the same as suffering two wounds).

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...