Get your blue milk here (OOC)

Malkavian Grin

Just now, Malkavian Grin said:

Sirona is waiting for you at the spaceport. It's a supposedly safe planet so it's cheaper for her to just stay here rather than pay for fuel. However, that does mean the Vipers might harass her if not dealt with presently. 😈

That's what I was worried about.

Apologies to all for further delays. I've got a big faculty meeting that will run well past 5 and then I've got a long drive to pick up my wife at an airport. I doubt I'll get a post out today. I should be good to post tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

That's what I was worried about.

Apologies to all for further delays. I've got a big faculty meeting that will run well past 5 and then I've got a long drive to pick up my wife at an airport. I doubt I'll get a post out today. I should be good to post tomorrow.

No worries. I'm trying to focus on lots of smaller updates rather than fewer gigantic ones. Post when life lets you :)

1 hour ago, zeone3000 said:

How far is Tetra from the possible action?

I'd say one move action would let you reach at least one if not two of the bikers (the building isn't very wide so the corner is near the front door). I want to make sure you aren't spending your whole turns just moving places lol

On 4/23/2024 at 11:44 AM, Wizard of the Coat said:

Hades (and everyone else), I don't want Nina to come across like she's taking charge. Nor do I want to limit the other PCs' choices. I've tried to post IC details trying to make clear that she's not wanting to do that. So if those efforts are not working, let me know and we can retcon the scene or whatever.

Thanks for this post WoC, I appreciate your openness. The in game post was specifically what Jal the character would think/say IRL. He's not a kind of sheep character, being slightly face orientated himself.

Although I will be honest, part of my own feelings possible shone through too. I'm all for keeping the game moving (momentum*) in whatever way that happens but I'm also not here just to play a sidekick. I'm sure none of us are. This might be because I'm more used to playing table top RPG IRL but I'm used to asking and discussion plans around pivotal game moments, for a consensus with the party, before charting a course in game. Saying all that, your game posts (and everyone else's) are excellently crafted and someone has to lead at times. So lets keep it going but some open conversation in-game or OOC about critical in-game plans in the future would be appreciated. (to be clear, no retconning is required!)

*Momentum - I'll also open up and say that I'm struggling to keep track of the game. I can't check it every day and when I do it either hasn't moved (loose interest) or its moved at a great pace. It makes it difficult to keep continuity as a contributing player. As I might have been waiting for others to respond but then find things have either still not moved, or have moved so much that what I was going to do/say/contribute becomes mute. I learning that maybe this is just what PbP is like. Maybe I need to figure out a routine of checking to try and stay on top of things.

MG - "Jal, if you're going to Mind Trick, now's the time." (Havn't figured out how to quote from one thread to another yet sorry. )

I'm only really wanting to use this as a last resort if all else fails. I appreciate that its effect can nerf roleplay (or at least seem like it, I'm aware there is only one Jedi in the group and so powers are not exactly welcomed) and as we have a face character trying to resolve it I'm not wanting to step on the toes of that scene from resolving.

Can Jal 'help' Nina's roll? and keep the mind trick as a last resort or does it need to happen simultaneously?

17 hours ago, Hades-666 said:

*Momentum - I'll also open up and say that I'm struggling to keep track of the game. I can't check it every day and when I do it either hasn't moved (loose interest) or its moved at a great pace. It makes it difficult to keep continuity as a contributing player. As I might have been waiting for others to respond but then find things have either still not moved, or have moved so much that what I was going to do/say/contribute becomes mute. I learning that maybe this is just what PbP is like. Maybe I need to figure out a routine of checking to try and stay on top of things.

This is one of the biggest stumbling blocks when it comes to PbP, is keeping personal/game momentum. A routine can help, even if it's just every other day or M-W-F or something like that. That way you don't have too much time elapsing between checks, and what you were planning on doing, saying, or contributing likely remains relevant (unless a game is moving particularly quickly). For instance, I rarely have time to post on the weekends, but I always try to make sure I check in Monday and Friday so I can either get a post in before the weekend starts or once the weekend ends.

That's partially my fault. There are times where I'm feeling amped up and very creative and want to post. Other times I've been drained of all my passion and I just wanna be a melty puddle. It sucks for my consistency in posting, especially when I'm falling out of love with the game system.

I feel like my tendency to infodump with huge posts is a detriment. It's very hard for me to maintain a balance between pertinent info and extraneous world-building.

PbP is difficult. It's not a perfect solution for getting people together to share in a game. The flexible schedule and not being an awkward mess in front of people is a nice draw. I've actually been considering trying to move some of my games onto real-time Discord stuff or whatever. But that's neither here nor there.

Can Jal 'help' Nina's roll? and keep the mind trick as a last resort or does it need to happen simultaneously?

I try not to think of scenes being driven by a single character; everyone in the scene can contribute. You can absolutely help, especially in a conversation. Since Nina is the initial roller, you can take the Aid Another action; just make the same check but at a DC 10 and it'll grant a +2 bonus.

We can keep the Mind Trick for a last resort reaction.

18 hours ago, Hades-666 said:

MG - "Jal, if you're going to Mind Trick, now's the time." (Havn't figured out how to quote from one thread to another yet sorry. )

I'm only really wanting to use this as a last resort if all else fails. I appreciate that its effect can nerf roleplay (or at least seem like it, I'm aware there is only one Jedi in the group and so powers are not exactly welcomed) and as we have a face character trying to resolve it I'm not wanting to step on the toes of that scene from resolving.

If you want to have Jal step in with a mind trick right now, before Nina posts or last ditch effort to find a non-violent solution, I'd be fine with that. This does seem like a pretty "last resort" situation. I'm guessing anything Nina says that doesn't work will be answered by the start of combat--which might mean it will be too late for a mind trick.

And I think it would be a pretty cool moment for a mind trick reveal.

@Malkavian Grin I was just realizing that there is no equivalent to the Insight skill in SWSE. Before deciding on Persuasion vs Deception against Kessra, I thought I'd make a check to see what kind of read Nina has on the woman. Is she being honest about being a contractor for Durga? Is she scared of him, happy with her arrangement with him...? But Deception checks to mislead go against the target's Will Defense (not Perception), and Perception can only be used to see through Deceptive Appearances. It can't be used to glean further details from people with whom you are negotiating.

I'm OK with that. It's the rules after all. But if you want to provide some sort of skill or ability check that can do what the Insight skill does in D&D, I'd be curious to know my options. Keep in mind, I did not delve into the rules before making this request. If there are feats or talents that allow a PC to do what I'm requesting, then it would not be appropriate to make a house rule that allows me to do it without the required feat/talent.

On 4/30/2024 at 2:17 PM, Wizard of the Coat said:

@Malkavian Grin I was just realizing that there is no equivalent to the Insight skill in SWSE. Before deciding on Persuasion vs Deception against Kessra, I thought I'd make a check to see what kind of read Nina has on the woman. Is she being honest about being a contractor for Durga? Is she scared of him, happy with her arrangement with him...? But Deception checks to mislead go against the target's Will Defense (not Perception), and Perception can only be used to see through Deceptive Appearances. It can't be used to glean further details from people with whom you are negotiating.

I'm OK with that. It's the rules after all. But if you want to provide some sort of skill or ability check that can do what the Insight skill does in D&D, I'd be curious to know my options. Keep in mind, I did not delve into the rules before making this request. If there are feats or talents that allow a PC to do what I'm requesting, then it would not be appropriate to make a house rule that allows me to do it without the required feat/talent.

I also do not know of all the Talent Tree options in the game. There's far too many to remember, and there very well may be something that does this.

For now, I think I'll just tell you that it feels like she's being honest. We'll forgo a roll since it's not a critical detail. She's nonchalant about the whole thing, meaning she's likely giving you the whole story. She doesn't act like she's afraid of his presence--it's more just acknowledgment that you know he's here. Very matter-of-fact.

I hope that helps!