General Discussion

Poor_Knight

Dungeoncraft rules expire in 2025 well after the MM is released with regards to some of the stuff, so that seems to suggest there will be a level of continuity with ALG. Metaplot-wise, who knows? I know 2025 will feature a sequel to the ALG Dreams of the Red Wizards storyline, but inevitably the rule change may affect us all. In the videos they seemed to suggest the 2014 PHB characters and 2024 PHB characters could coexist beside each other, so there may be no change.

Given the lack of official ALG adventures that relate to plot books, I can't speak to their new plans but I imagine they won't keep us in the dark too long.

51 minutes ago, Gregorotto said:

In the videos they seemed to suggest the 2014 PHB characters and 2024 PHB characters could coexist beside each other, so there may be no change.

This has been a major marketing point with the new books (that old and new will work fine together) so hopefully WotC eats their own dogfood in regards to AL.

Yeah, I suspect that they probably won't make any major changes to AL, but the cynic in me says it's not because that's what would be good for AL, but because that's the least effort thing to do. And of course, any guidance surrounding the new PHB probably won't come out until after the Monster Manual in 2025.

(I must be feeling grumpy today - the coffee doesn't seem to have kicked in yet.)

image.png.1a1e358e05d22e59012d885894ba4378.png

Grumpy as you may be, I think you're right: ALG has received the least possible effort compared to how it used to receive support. They may not have made the numbers public, but I suspect around the pandemic ALG numbers around the world went down dramatically and so interest in maintaining it as a driving force for getting people into D&D has died down to early 5e/4e levels. That, and they fired the guy who was the driving force behind ALG for so long (Chris Lindsey).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, suffice it to say it would be strange to put this much effort into ALG, only for them to scrap it right after doing so. Maybe a rebranding at worst, but I doubt that'll be true. ALG has name recognition now.

I haven't had time to go through and review the new ALPG but I wonder if so links back to that page would be useful here. Or is the WotC D&D site still the main home for AL?

2 hours ago, Poor_Knight said:

I haven't had time to go through and review the new ALPG but I wonder if so links back to that page would be useful here. Or is the WotC D&D site still the main home for AL?

WotC is still technically the best home, but it's not particularly well maintained. Direct links will be useful; I'll get on that for the Player's Guide and start the DM's guide soon for the settings guides.