Group A chapter 3 Stone cast shadows

LDDragon

continued from Group A The first masking

As the dust settles and those injured during the First Masking ceremony recover, the Magaambya’s instructors begin the precarious balancing act of investigating the strange activities of the insects on the grounds, calming the students, and making sure the unusual attacks don’t extend into the city of Nantambu. The faculty’s first order of business is to explore and clear the meandering passages and recently carved tunnels beneath the campus. Relying upon trustworthy students is vital, since quickly exploring as much ground as possible may help prevent another attack.

The greatest priority goes to those tunnels around and beneath Tireless Hall, but a quick investigation of other nearby buildings shows several tunnels in those areas, too. While the faculty focuses their attentions beneath Tireless Hall, assuming they can find the most clues there, they delegate the exploration of other tunnels to less-experienced students, such as the heroes. Koride Ulawa is given the task of assigning duties to the cohorts and getting them into action.

Of course, Koride gives her favorite students what seems like the easiest task, the examination of the tunnels beneath Archhorn Library, far from Tireless Hall. However, those students were intimidated by evidence of giant insects in these tunnels, so Koride indulgently agreed to replace them with a different group.

Takulu and Koride summon the students to the steps ascending to the imposing entrance of Archhorn Library.

Teacher Ot and Teacher Ulawa stand on the wide stone steps. While Teacher Ot carefully reviews a sheaf of papers, Teacher Ulawa looks annoyed, the corner of her mouth in a sneer. “How good of you to finally arrive,” she says. “Your little cohort is far from my first choice for something so critical to—”

“Koride, please,” Teacher Ot says softly, but firmly, then turns to you. “After your services to the Magaambya during your First Masking, we feel you are ready for an important task. Something is going on underneath Tireless Hall, and indeed beneath more of the Magaambya than we first realized. We are sending groups of students into the tunnels we have discovered in an effort to map them as thoroughly as possible. You will be one of these groups.”

Teacher Ot points across to Tireless Hall. “There is where the attack occurred. But in the lowest levels of all these buildings,” he waves to the buildings around it, including Archhorn Library behind him, “we’ve found more tunnels. Many lead to old cave networks, now connected together by recent digging. Intentional, directed digging.”

Teacher Ulawa picks up the explanation. “I sent some students into the basement here in Archhorn Library, to explore and map the caves. It rapidly became obvious that this would be a more involved task than we originally anticipated. I withdrew that group, and you will be going in; you may even manage to make it back out in one piece.” She chuckles grimly. “We’ll at least wait and see how you manage before sending in the inevitable help.”

Teacher Ot steps aside and gestures to the library building. “The first group’s notes should still be in the basement. We can hope that Koride’s handpicked students were… comprehensive before learning that their feet might get muddy and then pleading for a different assignment.”

Teacher Ulawa shrugs. “Their skills were needed elsewhere, Takulu. It’s up to your motley band of novices to pick up where they left off.”

Takulu adds, “We’ll be making our own explorations beneath Tireless Hall, where we believe the danger is greater, should you need to draw us away for anything. But your task is before you, as ours is before us.”

click this spoiler!

Sweet Tooth and Kuoi are assigned into the cohort with Mac, Banana, Omolara and Flit.

Remember to gain a hero point, and to level up to 3, for defeating the insects at the Masking Ceremony.

You have a few days to recover, so be on full health, spells etc.

The party’s instructions are simple: explore the caves beneath Archhorn Library, map it to the best of their abilities, and handle any threats they can manage. The heroes should then report back to Teacher Ot and Teacher Ulawa, but only when they’ve completed their task. The teachers shouldn’t be disturbed lightly.

Edited by LDDragon (see edit history)

[table=2,1] [r=1,1][IMG2=150]https://og.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=101183&d=1629905609[/IMG2] [r=2,1][fieldset=Mac Tíre][B][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2505803"]Mac Tíre[/URL][/B] [b]HP:[/b] 38/38 -[b] AC: [/b]20 [b]Conditions:[/b] Hero Points: 3 [b]Spells prepared:[/b] Electric Arc, Stabilise [/fieldset][/table]
attachment.php?attachmentid=101183&d=1629905609
Mac Tíre
Mac Tíre
HP: 38/38 - AC: 20
Conditions:
Hero Points: 3
Spells prepared: Electric Arc, Stabilise

Over the next few days, Mac makes an effort to get to know his new pack cohort members. Sweet Tooth learns, that Mac is aware she is of the female persuasion. He just calls everybody 'guy' or 'dude' because, apparently the equivalent appellation in his native Taldan is gender neutral. That would also explain his accent...

While training with the Tempest Sun students, Mac gets the hang of his new nunchaku weapon. He (almost) doesn't hit his own face any more, and actually manages to get the hang of using the backswing on a miss to make a follow-up attack more accurate.

And then there are shields.

"But isn't that just more stuff for us to lug around?", Mac asks reluctantly.

"Obviously. But you will only carry one with you when you expect to use it. The same way you only prepare spells of the Magica Combativa school when you expect to need them. Personally, I recommend everybody to keep one good general combat cantrip prepared at all times. Electric Arc is my favourite, and it should be yours too!"

While Mac unfortunately still struggles to wrap his mind around spells, his Druid training pays off and he manages to at least get this particular cantrip right. Fortunately, his (usually) rather defensive-minded attitude towards combat means he 'gets' shields pretty quickly, even if he ends up being scolded for breaking a few wooden training shields.

"What? Better the shield then my bones!", Mac protests.

"All the better for your foes to break your bones because you no longer have a shield  to protect you!", his instructor retorts.

Even though Mac decides not to break any more training material, it is good to know he has the option in a real fight...

###

Then Mac and his cohort are called up to go and map the new tunnels that all those insects apparently dug. Huh.

"Oh okay. So, uh, we kinda need to plan this. Those tunnels are pretty narrow. Often not enough space to go side-by-side. Maybe I should fetch a shield from the training grounds and go up front?"

Edited by Lycar (see edit history)

image.png.7b6bd332dafe410397d3099ef34f05c3.png

Sweeth Tooth - Catfolk Thaumaturge 3

HP: 35/35 | AC: 18 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 

Perception: +7 Low Light Vision | Fort: +8 | Ref: +9 | Will: +7 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions :

Sweet Tooth had been assigned to the very group she had fought alongside against the bugs. Perhaps that is why she had been sent there in the first place? Honestly she hadn't really been paying attention to the attendant who sent her that way. She had gotten along pretty well with this new group, they seemed an eager and capable bunch and she found that she was able to gel pretty well with them in training.

The reaction of the teacher Ulawa put her on the back foot. Had she been assigned to a group of misfits or did this teacher have a grudge against them for some reason? Luck of the Feline indeed! They hadn't seemed to strange the last few days, so perhaps she was over-reacting? She put the thought from her head, especially as she now had the new comment to chew on. more involved task ... I withdrew that group, and you will be going in; you may even manage to make it back out in one piece! So maybe they did have it out for this group? And now sweet, lovely, purrfect Sweet Tooth was going to get their lumps too? Well, perhaps it would be a good way to test her skills and a good result would mean others would start to take notice too!

"We will have the tunnels mapped, and cleared of bugs, in no time. Do not trouble yourself with it for another minute, teachers!"

52257768655_92d032d51b_h.jpg
Omolara

Ancestry: Human | Heritage: Half-elf | Class: Ranger | Background: Sponsored By A Stranger

Primary branch: Rain-Scribe (lvl 1) | Secondary branch: Uzunjati (lvl 1) | Application | Character sheet

HP: 44/44 | Hero Points: 2 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Cantrip(s): Stabilize

Condition(s):

Omolara watched as the group of teachers departed for the Tireless Hall. "She may be brilliant, but I'm coming to share Esi's opinion of Teacher Ulawa," she remarked with a dour expression.

Turning back to the others, she continued, "We'll need at least one torch; two would be better. I can handle the map, unless someone else wants the task."

q8bOODq.png.92845881adc694b10a16043ab904a4ae.png   Thura

HP: 35/35
AC: 1718 with Shield cantrip

Perception +9
Fort +7
Ref +7
Will +11

Instead of reacting to Ulawa with anger - which is what Thura assumes she wants - Thura just stares at Ulawa as if she has two heads.

Eventually turning her head, she nods to Teacher Ot. "It will be done." Then, to Omolara, "You handle the map, then, and I will carry a torch."

Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)

[table=2,1] [r=1,1][IMG2=150]https://og.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=101183&d=1629905609[/IMG2]
[r=2,1][fieldset=Mac Tíre][B][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2505803"]Mac Tíre[/URL][/B] 
[b]HP:[/b] 38/38 -[b] AC: [/b]20
[b]Conditions:[/b]
[b]Spells prepared:[/b] Electric Arc, Stabilise
[/fieldset][/table]Teacher Koride sure is not particularly well liked outside her circle of 'pet students', that much is clear.

"Eh, Teacher Koride isn't that bad. I mean, she sure plays favourites and stuff, but apart from that, as a teacher, she's a good guy. Sure, she can be, like, uh... grating? But if anything, that makes one want to learn stuff even more, so you can prove her wrong.", Mac says, hoping to keep resentments on a low burn. Won't do if people are too busy being angry to keep their wits about them.

"Awesome, if Thura carries one torch... Hey Banana, have you have that Light spell prepared today? You could put that on your staff maybe? Omolara is right, two lights would be better. Or I, like, don't take a shield and carry another torch instead. That works too. Not gonna lie though, I'd rather take a shield. I sure can get used to not getting hurt, ya know..."

Conditions :

Sweet Tooth nodded along. To be honest she was happy to hang back a little and let the burlier ones take the lead. She could take a mandible or two, but she prefers to avoid it!

"I can carry a torch, I am pretty good at juggling. And I can always set it down if they get too close and need a good stab from my own blade!"

Banana just chuckles as he holds up his staff.

"Of course I prepared the light spell, m'nee. I wish Anchor Root could join us, but I understand why she decided to stay back. She's not exactly a fighter, and I'd be extremely upset if she got hurt."

The big kholo had spent the last few days languishing in bed. He wasn't quite sure WHAT had popped when that rhinoceros beetle clamped down on his abdomen, but it had required one of the healers to get him intoxicated, then open up his stomach. He had vague memories of curious and somewhat nauseous students gathered around his bed as the healer explained what had happened and what she was doing. He also remembered Trouble springing out from under his covers to scare everyone after the last stitch was closed.

Not wanting to overtax Thura, he had also availed himself to the stock at the Powderpile. Two bright red potions glowed faintly at his belt. He also pulls out several tins of aromatic, waxy substance, which he distributes to everyone, one each.

"I recognized these at the Powderpile. E'nee would make this during the rainy season, when the biting flies get particularly bad, but this mixture seems to be quite a bit stronger. I don't know if it's going to work on these larger bugs, but if it does, it should last about four hours."

Meanwhile, Trouble has finally decided to make himself useful, as he is carrying a torch, along with a sharpened kitchen knife.

"As for i'nee Ulawe, yeah. She reminds me of one of the matriarchs back home. Very much undiplomatic, and clearly plays favorites with the students. I'm sorry for Anchor Root - she's one of them, and it just makes her anxiety worse. Still, I rather enjoy her. I brought her a grub I found when looking for good wood to use in making a mask, and she was able to talk at length about it. How much trouble it would be able to cause if it was accidentally shipped to Jalmeray, how they are able to avoid predators, how they can find each other to mate, how they hide their eggs..."

"<She's still a poophole.>"

"TROUBLE! Language!"

"<But she tried to kick me! She DID kick me!>"

"She only did that because she caught you trying to make two of her ant colonies meet each other and fight to the death..."

Mechanics

Once applied to your skin, the repellent grants you an item bonus to Fortitude saving throws against poisons for 4 hours. In addition, any arthropods (insects, spiders, scorpions, crabs, and similar invertebrate animals) must attempt a Will save when attempting to attack you with a melee Strike, or with a swarm attack such as the spider swarm's swarming bites. The arthropod then becomes temporarily immune for 1 minute.

Critical Success The creature can act normally.
Success The creature is frightened 1.
Failure The creature is frightened 2.
Critical Failure The creature is frightened 2 and fleeing.

For a lesser insect repellent agent, the item bonus is +1, and the Will Save is DC 17

[table=2,1] [r=1,1][IMG2=150]https://og.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=101183&d=1629905609[/IMG2] [r=2,1][fieldset=Mac Tíre][B][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2505803"]Mac Tíre[/URL][/B] [b]HP:[/b] 38/38 -[b] AC: [/b]20 [b]Conditions:[/b] Hero Points: 3 [b]Spells prepared:[/b] Electric Arc, Stabilise [/fieldset][/table]
Mac Tíre
Mac Tíre
Conditions:

Hearing that Banana has indeed prepared a Light cantrip, Mac nods eagerly "Awesome! If I go to the front and use a shield, you can put the light on the shield."

When the Kholo hands out the tins, Mac wonders what that is about, but the smells that leak out of even the closed tins making his nostrils flare even in his human form and Banana's explanation clear that up. "Ugh, this stuff reeks. I sure hope this works. Lemme guess, we are supposed to rub that on us..."

"Yeah, Teacher Koride seems to really like Anchor Root, not just because she works hard, but because she feels bad for her too. Unfortunately she does not seem to understand that she does not do Anchor Root any favour that way. And I don't see a way to help with that without giving her even more anxiety. All I know is, you people helped me accept my true nature by not freaking out about it, and I'll not forget that!"

"Okay, so, I'll just go get a pair of shields from the training grounds, anybody need anything else from there?", Mac asks, waiting a moment for any replies. Then he jogs off towards the training grounds and returns a short while later, now equipped with two wooden shields, one apparently strapped to his back and intended as backup.

"Okay, so, do we need to put on the anti-bug-stuff on ourselves or does putting it on our clothes and maybe the shield work too?"

Conditions :

Sweet Tooth took the tin and thanked Banana. She unscrewed the lid and took a sniff, regretting it soon after.

"I don't like the idea of getting this on my fur! But it certainly beats getting bitten by those things we fought before. I will apply this just before we go into the tunnels. And will look forward to a good bath afterwards."

She was eager to get started now, and rummaged through her many pockets and pouches, mentally cataloging her trinkets and items. It always paid to be prepared. She took a potency crystal from her bag and attached it to her starknife. She checked her leather armour was strapped on tightly and she placed a small jade carving of a cat between the plates to help her balance. She tested out her wand by firing it off into the sky, with only the quickest of warnings to the others and satisfied, she took a torch and prepared to light it once they were within the darkness.

52257768655_92d032d51b_h.jpg
Omolara

Ancestry: Human | Heritage: Half-elf | Class: Ranger | Background: Sponsored By A Stranger

Primary branch: Rain-Scribe (lvl 1) | Secondary branch: Uzunjati (lvl 1) | Application | Character sheet

HP: 44/44 | Hero Points: 2 | Focus Points: 1/1 | Cantrip(s): Stabilize

Condition(s): Vermin repellent(4 hours)

Omolara wrinkled her nose as she caught a strong whiff of Banana's unguent. It smelled even worse, unbelievable as that was, than that her mother used to slather on her. Still, if it worked, the odor was a small price to pay. "You have to rub it on your skin," she said to Mac. "Once it's absorbed, your whole body will become less tasty to bugs." Putting action to her words, she began smearing the cream to her arms and face.

Several catacombs and classrooms sprawl beneath Archhorn Library, though the building hasn’t been used for its intended purpose for quite some time. Most rooms feature paneling of dry, fragrant wood to keep the cold and moisture at bay.

Making their way down to the basement...

The wooden wall panels in this long, low room have been broken apart in four places to reveal narrow passages burrowed into the stone. The railing which spans the walls and the low rail in the middle hint that this room once served as a dance studio. Several desks have been relocated here with a few books and papers; more papers nailed to the wood near each entrance feature hastily sketched maps.

In the basement of the Archhorn Library...

The books and scrolls on the desk are some texts about Archhorn Library; Koride’s initial team hoped they might give some information or schematics, but the infested caverns don’t appear in these old books and so aren’t of any use.

Map

Click this for ooc info

The papers tacked to the walls provide sketches of the passages to areas C2, C3, and C4. The passage between areas C3 and C4 appears on one of the maps with a portion of the wall circled with a question mark

An intensifying drone emanates from the passage in the center of the south wall. A hero who succeeds at a DC 15 Nature or Survival check identifies it as the buzzing of enormous bees.

Conditions : Vermin Repellent

Sweet Tooth made her way to the old dance studio then stopped to apply the vermin repellent. She did not look happy as she did so. Once she was done. She went to look at the crude maps.

"How thoughtful of those cowards. They did not get far before turning tail like a bunch of kittens."

She listened to the sound coming from the central passage. Her hair stood on end and she turned to the others

"Bees, really big bees. We should be careful going down there, but the honey will be delicious if they were able to find the pollen they needed down here. Should we avoid that path first? Or start there, if we are to clear out these tunnels?"

Edited by omegoku (see edit history)
Name
Nature
1d20+5 20

[table=2,1] [r=1,1][IMG2=150]https://og.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=101183&d=1629905609[/IMG2] [r=2,1][fieldset=Mac Tíre][B][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2505803"]Mac Tíre[/URL][/B]  [b]HP:[/b] 38/38 -[b] AC: [/b]20 [b]Conditions:[/b] Vermin repellent (4 hours, +1 Item vs. poison, DC 17)   Hero Points: 3    [b]Spells prepared:[/b] Electric Arc, Stabilise [/fieldset][/table]
Mac Tíre
Mac Tíre  
Conditions: Vermin repellent (4 hours, +1 Item vs. poison, DC 17) 

Mac puts off putting on the vermin repellent until the last moment, but eventually, he has to get it over with. Then he nods to Banana to put the light spell onto his shield, and then takes his position at the tip of the formation.

Entering the cellar room, it soon becomes clear that it has been breached by some sort of burrowing creatures. The droning buzz coming from one of the holes is pretty ominous though. And yes, it does sound like bees. Big ones.

"Oh yes, it is good stuff if you can get it. But even bears give giant bees a wide berth. But they are usually not aggressive, as long as we, like, don't attack them first, or get too close to their hive, we should be good. So... should we start with rightmost or leftmost tunnel then?"

"Tsaa! Antidotes! I knew the back of my ear was itching for a reason!"

Banana stomps his foot in frustration as he smears the malodorous, waxy substance over his exposed fur. He also thinks a bit, trying to remember what he learned about foraging. He knew how his tribe basically partied whenever they found a bee hive overflowing with sticky, sweet goodness. But he had never been around when the honey was actually harvested.

"Anyone a bit more familiar with how people get honey from hives without getting stung? Maybe we could somehow find a way to do the same thing here? I know there's a trick but...I'll be honest. I was more interested in finding bones with strong juju than actually learning how to hunt or forage."