The Doom of Glenn Hollow - OOC

@Ensou I hope you enjoyed your celebrations! As for considerations, you're still in melee range of two Thugs, so you will take 2 opportunity attacks when you cast. But since you have such a high AC, they basically have to roll two natural 20s each (crit threat & crit confirm) to deal any damage to you.

So, unless the dice gods really hate you, I say you're all set to summon a fur-covered buddy to help you out! 😁

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)

Help me out, I'm the one that got whacked with bastard sword by 8 ft dominatrix and then evil-eyed by her. Then my buddy in misery go unconscious, won't anyone think about child....I mean guys who just poped up in the middle of the story not knowing what is going on and get shoved in bags. 😂

On 2/24/2024 at 7:24 AM, rogueblade0729 said:

@Ensou I hope you enjoyed your celebrations! As for considerations, you're still in melee range of two Thugs, so you will take 2 opportunity attacks when you cast. But since you have such a high AC, they basically have to roll two natural 20s each (crit threat & crit confirm) to deal any damage to you.

So, unless the dice gods really hate you, I say you're all set to summon a fur-covered buddy to help you out! 😁

Let's go for the dramatics then! I shall summon a crocodile.

Apologies for the long delay, after the celebration I contracted Influenza A and I am only now on the mend. Not to mention, in a matter of days, I have to recover in time to go on a week-long family trip overseas for a relative's wedding, so I will try to post from my phone while there or otherwise request the GM to NPC my character.

Edited by Ensou (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, though now that we're entering a Skill Challenge, don't worry as much about the grid-based tactics. To help pick things back up again, we're abstracting the chase. Just follow the guidance laid out in my post.

14 minutes ago, rogueblade0729 said:

Yeah, though now that we're entering a Skill Challenge, don't worry as much about the grid-based tactics. To help pick things back up again, we're abstracting the chase. Just follow the guidance laid out in my post.

👍

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 1:30 PM, Grudge said:

Well, those were some subpar rolls 😑

As a reminder, those Trip checks were just to help you improve your skill check. You only needed a 10, like the Aid Another action. Choose a skill that would be relevant here and roll that! That's how you earn successes or failures.

8 minutes ago, rogueblade0729 said:

As a reminder, those Trip checks were just to help you improve your skill check. You only needed a 10, like the Aid Another action. Choose a skill that would be relevant here and roll that! That's how you earn successes or failures.

Well, that would be the attribute not Skill for Trip I believe, Strength, and when I deduce Mod (+3) Roll is 10 so you can take the current roll and adjust it that way or I can roll again. I rolled like this because I did not know for which Skill to substitute Str. If Skill is a must and attribute can't be used, could you please decide which skill would be most appropriate in this case?

Posted (edited)

That, my friend, is for you to decide. Don't get too hung up on 3.5e's rules here, this is more "rule of cool". If you have a concept in your head, and you can narratively justify the use of any of your skills, then you'll be able to roll with that Aid Another bonus. As I said, we are not in combat, we are in a Skill Challenge.

If you're trying to trip her up, you can take it in a lot of directions. Tumble to see if you're nimble enough to catch the Captain at just the right angle, Jump to see if your Trip is really more of a Tackle, Knowledge (history) to recall an ancient technique for toppling a much larger opponent, Intimidate to startle the Captain long enough to stumble over her own feet, and so on. As long as you can justify it in the narrative, you'll be good to use it!

49 minutes ago, rogueblade0729 said:

That, my friend, is for you to decide. Don't get too hung up on 3.5e's rules here, this is more "rule of cool". If you have a concept in your head, and you can narratively justify the use of any of your skills, then you'll be able to roll with that Aid Another bonus. As I said, we are not in combat, we are in a Skill Challenge.

If you're trying to trip her up, you can take it in a lot of directions. Tumble to see if you're nimble enough to catch the Captain at just the right angle, Jump to see if your Trip is really more of a Tackle, Knowledge (history) to recall an ancient technique for toppling a much larger opponent, Intimidate to startle the Captain long enough to stumble over her own feet, and so on. As long as you can justify it in the narrative, you'll be good to use it!

Ok. I edited the entire post to avoid double posting, and to reflect new developments also making another roll, so if I did it right only the last roll is relevant. I hope I did it correctly this time.

6 minutes ago, Ensou said:

GM, did what I roll count as a Skill Challenge? Not sure I understood but you described well, so it will be more of my fault.

Look up to answer to my basically similar question. You read the situation, look at your sheet for skills, and, for example, write your character curls into a ball and roll into baddie trying to Trip her and then roll Tumble. Something like that. As long you can explain it plausibly IC you can roll any skill you want. (I rolled Concentration to grab Damien's hand/leg for example)

Yes, that was correct! The focus here is the skill check, as we are simulating a group effort in a way that tactical combat doesn't really work in. Attack rolls or spells cast can contribute to the check, but it still has to be tied to the skill.

This is really more of a creativity and rule-of-cool exercise than anything. It's worked in my games for years, so I'm deploying it again for you all :)