Chapter 3: Two if By Sea

Powderhorn

Summer, Day 34 - Dusk

spacer.pngIt takes a few weeks, all-told, to mourn the loss of a comrade, return home, mourn as a community, and then prepare to travel once again. The wind being unfavorable for some time, finally, with a strong offshore breeze, the group is able to journey north with losses replenished by the recruitment of one Beitris Brus - one who promises to be a bit more level-headed.

Journeying north, and following the coast, you appear to be in what would be mapped as a large bay, with fallow meadows to the east, and open ocean to the west.

For four days, the weather holds fair and a good sailing pace is kept, though the landscape appears rather featureless. Until on the fourth day, with the sun setting, a bay is seen opening to the east, while more coast continues to the northwest. To the north and north east, an opposite shore is seen, and a large, dilapidated structure can be picked out in the setting sun.

With a practiced series of shouts and well timed hauling of lines, Stavard has the crew bring the ship to a safe mooring and lowers anchor. The small craft bobs idly in the surf, and a rowboat is prepared for a venture to the shore.

Let us take a quick look at this structure before nightfall begins in earnest, I say, comments Stavard. And I hope this structure brings us better fortune than those ruins in the depths of the forest.

Summer, Day 34 - Dusk

spacer.pngAs the boat approaches into shore, the looming shape of a castle stands out in the evening twilight. It does not appear to have any light coming from it from your vantage, but it is hard to know if that is just your angle or if it is abandoned.

Stavard does not laugh. The last enemy is Death, I know it in my bones. I have seen wraiths of sea foam dance upon whitecaps in a midnight storm lit by the Spring moon. Do not jest about Death or she will find you.

The sailor shakes his head as a recently awoken man tries to shake off a lingering nightmare.

Help me haul this boat on shore, then we can poke ahead careful-like with the pole as we approach this stone holdfast. Don't want no pitfalls troubling us like last time.

I would not be surprised if something nasty lurks if we go by the front door. Carefully walk the perimeter first, and then force a way in either over the wall - easy enough climb with rope and such, I reckon, but I've been spending time aloft since I was a young lad - or through some breach in the wall.

Still skeptically poking the hopefully undisturbed earth with the pole, Stavard will make his way up to about thirty yards from the castle walls and wait to hear from his companions.

Name
notice at -1
2d6-1 1,2

Stavard halts in his tracks. Are they mortal or...? the ellipsis cut off what does not need to be said after their experience at the ruins in the depths of the forest.

They have certainly seen us, so perhaps we should come up to the gate and simply greet them. If we are not meant with a fusillade of lethal spite that is. Whether they be of the living or no, there are old precepts written in the day when the marrow of the bones of the earth was still fresh on hospitality and we forsake them at our peril.

brother_koji.png.db3e3bb099e1b76d282b3e6b702cc501.pngBrother Koji 

"Let us venture forth in friendship and see if they reciprocate. We walk in the eyes of the Father, let us see if they do as well" Koji steps forth towards the main entrance of the castle in full view, and waves towards the figure on the battlements.

"We walk in the steps of the Father, may he guide me in all that I do" he quietly says as he continues to walk.

Dungeon Master

Though in full view of the castle, and now much closer, Brother Koji notes that there are no torches lit. Whatever he saw on the battlements does not come down to greet the group. Indeed, though there is a large set of heavy doors, nobody stands on guard outside of them. The doors appear closed, however.