Chapter 3: Two if By Sea

Powderhorn

Summer, Day 34 - Dusk

spacer.pngThe quick thinking to doubt the flame and reveal the illusion shows in the true firelight carried by your party a room with collapsed weapon and armor racks, the equipment so rusty as to seem to be likely to collapse at a moment's notice. However, more pressingly, two animated skeletons are walking towards you!

Yet by spoiling the illusion, you are not surprised, and are able to react first.

Map

spacer.png

Stavard charges into the fray between the two skellies and wields his spear in a whirlwind of violence.

crunchwhirlwind attack deal shock to both (5/AC13). Normal attack on the more formidable one if either stands out otherwise the one to the map's left.

Name
roll
1d20+5 17
spear 5-AC13
1d6+4 2

Dungeon Master

In what can only be described as a blitz of energy, despite the skeletons hard bones, the violence of Stavard's attack causes them to disarticulate and collapse into re-death. Combat, as quickly as it begins, ends.

Again, the sailor - no, warrior now - shakes the bone fragments and grave dirt from the spear. Stavard pauses to push the remains into the corner. He did not know the names of the dead nor what their people were called or how their dead ought to be laid to a repose nor did he care overmuch as why should he be anointed the keeper of these stranger's souls consigned to death and then undeath untold years ago?

It is not my duty to bury them. Prying them from the foul grasp of undeath is enough. Now, lady and gentlemen, shall we take a look around?

Stavard prods around the room with the haft of his spear. He reckoned that the danger was gone for this room but also reckoned that this was not a thing to be left to chance. The arms and armor seemed near worthless at first glance but worth poking at as well. Perhaps the blacksmith could use it as scrap. Maybe. Wasn't optimistic though.

Harlan looks around, barely having time to even be startled by the presence of the skeletons before Stavard has already dispatched them.

"Ugh, necromancy. Are we sure we were the first people to find these lands? They stink of dark magic, what with all the spirits and walking corpses." He utters, shaking his head.

Dungeon Master

How long this equipment has been here remains a question, but the answer certainly seems to be "at least as long as it takes for it to be worn down by time into worthlessness." The metal is rusted, the leather is rotted, and the cloth has long since been eaten by moths. Nothing of value remains.

This was much as Stavard expected. The wreckage of some civilization whose remnants were only in detritus.

Center door, then. Nothing else to it.

He listened at the door for a minute or so. If it is all quiet, he gives it a poking with the haft to see how sturdy it remains. If it is flimsy, he kicks it down with a CRASH!

A sturdy door, that merely gets forced open with leverage or axes.

Summer, Day 34 - Dusk

spacer.png

The door splinters easily, and the group sees a dark throne room, with large granite pillars holding up the floor above. The room itself is dark, lit by the guttering flamelight of the torch casting long shadows. Inside, four more skeletons turn to attack, and an armored woman sits upon the throne, observing the proceedings.

Map

spacer.png

Combat!

The Skeletons, ominously quick on their feet, close to the door and attack, swinging bony fists at Stavard, who so rudely interrupted their repose!

NB: Skeletons 1 & 3 have half cover from Stavard, and Stavard has half-cover from them on account of the door frame. -2 to attack rolls in either direction.

Map

spacer.png

Name
Skeleton 1 Attack
1d8-2 4
Skeleton 1 Attack but on a D20
1d20-2 17
Skeleton 1 Damage
1d6 3
Skeleton 2 Attack
1d20 18
Skeleton 2 Damage
1d6 3
Skeleton 3 Attack
1d20-2 4

I HAVE YET BEGUN TO FIGHT! roars the riotous sailor as he weathers the blows of his foes and stabs like a madman, which he almost was, to forestall defeat just one day more.

Two of the skeletons crumbled before his blows.

crunch

whirlwind for 5 dmg, then attack one of the remaining. Shock is a guaranteed kill but I'll roll anyways. Then, step aside in a way that does not leave a threatened square. If I get hit for more than 2 dmg the coming round I'll use veteran's luck.

Name
spear 5-AC13
1d20+5 13
roll
1d6+4 1

Harlan moves up next to Stavard, hoping to get a clean shot in at one of the skeletons. If able, Harlan lashes out with a quick kick at one of the boney boys. Unfortunately, his kick goes wide of the abomination, and Harlan growls in frustration, putting his hands up in a boxing stance. "Come on, I been practicing since I had to punch that devil-goat!"

Name
roll
1d20+2 4

Combat Update

Due to Harlan's shock damage of 1 (that you, @matt_s), Skeleton 2 also falls, leaving up in the upper part of the grid Skeleton 1, and then the one that has not yet moved into a threatened space, Skeleton 4. Looking for an action from @8w_gremlin

Skeleton 1 is INJURED
Skeleton 2 is (RE)DEAD
Skeleton 3 is (RE)DEAD

brother_koji.png.db3e3bb099e1b76d282b3e6b702cc501.pngBrother Koji 

Unable to clear the entrance Koji waits until there is an opening before closing the gap and taking a swing.

OOC, Mechanics

Is there a door there, a gap, I can't quite tell on the map.

I'll wait until I can reach something and move in and take a swipe if I can.

Mace: +1 attack 1d6+0 damage, shock 1+0/18, non-lethal

Edited by 8w_gremlin (see edit history)
Name
to hit
1d20+1 11
Blunt damage
1d6 6

Having been somewhat intimidated by taking the place of the great Oliver on this expedition, Beitris had been quiet up to this point. Seeing the undead, ungodly creatures before her, her miniature rage turned on and she rushed past the two men to stand betwixt the two remaining skeletons. She moves very quickly swinging her axe head down on one of the skeletons, and quickly slashing at the second as well. A guttural roar escapes her lips as she does so. "GAHHHHHHERRRRAAAAAA"

Mechanics

Move Action- Move to the spot I said.

Main Action- Attack Skeleton 4

Turn Action- Whirlwind Assault to Deal 2 shock damage to all enemies within range. Also due to shocking assault I get to treat everyone as if they are AC-10

Name
Attack
1d20+3 19
Damage
1d6+1 3