City of Monsters Redux

OOC: Transfer

This mission is a continuation of this OGMW mission. The party are investigated the murder of a green hag "monster activist" in the city of Port Callan. Her murder seems poised to tip the city into some political turmoil between its human rulers and its "monster" minorities.

They've been following up on several leads they found at the crime scene, which has allowed them to mostly cross the ettercap gang off the list of suspects (though one errant member of their gang may have been somehow involved). They also uncovered a group of devils raising hell hounds in the basement of an old temple, who've apparently been hiring out their hounds to various groups in the city.

Now, in the middle of the night, they're following up on the last of their leads: an old temple profusely decorated with iron spikes and blood-based rites dedicated to a hobgoblin pain god of some sort. They managed to put down some of the temple's weird residents, and now they need to decide what to do next.

@Faeryl_

@HydroGuy

@JCBarnes

@paladinred

Chapel of Pain

The hobgoblin woman was not going to give you an inch, even as she as her last half-golem servitor were clearly on the losing end. Finally, with a few carefully-placed blows, Chailel is able to knock her unconscious. Otis sits back on his haunches and pants heavily with his tongue sticking out.

A few paces away, as Melodie is getting back up to her feet tail, Brianna's sword hacks off the arm of the half-golem, then thrusts deep into its belly. A strange, blackish alchemical agent of some kind leaks out from the wound, and the half-living thing's eyes roll up into its head. It slumps to the ground on top of its kin, its horrid half-life mercifully ended.

At this point, you hear an absolute din of animal noises from the nearby room: thinks skittering and fluttering and yapping. But, you don't see any more active enemies, and all is quiet. You may take a moment here to wonder what your next course of action ought to be. You've essentially broken into this temple and slain and/or beaten up several of its occupants.

All of your clues so far pointed you in this direction: some leads from the crime scene, the words of the ettercaps and the ledger you picked up at the Gray Temple after the hell hound attack. Surely, if you have any hope of finding Lady Groak's killer, it's to be found somewhere in this building. This hobgoblin seemed very reluctant to talk, in spite of your best efforts to convince her; and she seemingly was trying to contact someone with a magic item before you took it from her and knocked her out.

image.png.00ad5b40ddf3b7ba39dca3d68551c633.png

Melodie & Trouble

Melodie & Trouble

[URL=http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2463736][B][SIZE=+1]Melodie Plucker[/SIZE][/B][/URL]
Female CG Lilend Gestalt, [B]Level[/B] 4, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 30/36, [B]Speed[/B] 20
[B]AC[/B] 18, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 4, [B]Ref[/B] 7, [B]Will[/B] 5, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 3   
[B]Grab, 1d10+Str Tail Slap [/B] +2 (1d8+1, x2)
[B]Masterworked Longbow, Composite, +3 [/B] +7 (1d8+3, x3)
[B]Masterworked Greatsword [/B] +7 (2d6+4, 19-20x2)
 (+3 Dex, +5 Natural)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 16, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 21
[B]Condition[/B] None

Familiar - Albino Raven - Trouble

Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/2 of Masters = 13
Initiative: +2
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 40 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +2 Nat), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–13
Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2–5)
Full Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2–5)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Speaks Celestial
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 7, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +3, Spot +5
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Familiar Benefits: Alertness, improved evasion, share spells, empathic link, Deliver touch spells

Having risen and collected her sword, Melodie heals a little of her wounds (currently at 2hp).

Edited by paladinred (see edit history)
Name
CLW
1d8+4 8

Chailel | HP: 24/45 | AC: 19 | Touch: 14 | Flat-footed: 19parrot_1.jpg.d9465f213e169a3ccb279cca82f4e780.jpgotis_1.jpg.62e09946a87dd302c3cc8bfaf986d51f.jpgChailel_01.jpg.43cb3c52747ad53e6c97bfcda4399d92.jpg

Conditions

Chailel: Spirit Sight (See ethereal creatures), Dex Damage (-2), Draconic Aura (30ft, Fast healing 1 if < 1/2), Light on spear (8 Minutes)

Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider (+4), Undead (+2)

Concentration: n/a

Chatterbox: Dex Damage (-2)

Otis: N/A

Chailel extends one arm towards Melodie, in a gentle waving motion, as she begins her incantation. "I reckon yer a bit tired n' out o' sorts after that... But, take a minute ta catch yer breath 'fore ya spend yer energy." He smiles, his cheeks flushing with pink, as he steps a bit closer, allowing the waves of warmth envelop her. "We may still need it..."

He bends down to the hobgoblin and grips her by the shirt collar, hoisting her into a seated position at the base of the wall before giving her weapon a kick, sending it skittering to the end of the hall. "Stubborn thing, weren't she?" He wipes his hands on his tunic and sighs. "I suppose it's fair ta get upset over uninvited guests... but ta come out swingin... with critters like that..." He produces the device the woman was holding, turning it over in his gnarled fingers several times. "Well... that's jest a tad excessive... aint it boy?"

He shrugs and reaches out to his hound, giving it a vigorous scratching around the ears, as he offers the disk to Belron. "Reckon you'd know more about this'n me. Not really my kinda magic..."

Actions

Step close enough to Melodie to include her in my Aura, then give @JCBarnes Belron the disk to investigate.

OOC

@paladinred We don't seem to be in danger/crunch, might as well wait a few seconds to heal back to 1/2 before you decide to cast.

Edited by HydroGuy (see edit history)

Brianna

spacer.png Brianna takes a moment to catch her breath now the fighting is done for the moment. She presses her hand to one of her wounds that hasn't sealed and whispers a brief prayer, a silvery light engulfs the wound and quickly begins to knit the flesh back together. (Lay on Hands for 10 HP) "Is anyone else in serious need of healing? My resources are limited but haven't been used much yet."

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=1789045][B][SIZE=+1]Brianna[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Female CG Succubus Succubus||Paladin of Freedom, [B]Level[/B] 5, [B]Init[/B] 7, [B]HP[/B] 55/55, [B]DR[/B] 5/Cold Iron or Good, [B]Speed[/B] 30 ft./Fly 50 ft. (Average) [B]AC[/B] 23, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 20, [B]Fort[/B] 15, [B]Ref[/B] 14, [B]Will[/B] 12, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 5 [B] Claws [/B] +7 (1d6+2, x2) [B] Greatsword +1 [/B] +8 (2d6+4, 19-20/x2) [B] Masterwork Chain Shirt[/B] (+4 Armor, +3 Dex, +6 Natural) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 14, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 26 [B]Condition[/B] None
Brianna
Female CG Succubus Succubus||Paladin of Freedom, Level 5, Init 7, HP 55/55, DR 5/Cold Iron or Good, Speed 30 ft./Fly 50 ft. (Average)
AC 23, Touch 13, Flat-footed 20, Fort 15, Ref 14, Will 12, Base Attack Bonus 5
Claws +7 (1d6+2, x2)
Greatsword +1 +8 (2d6+4, 19-20/x2)
Masterwork Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex, +6 Natural)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 26
Condition None

Current Condition

37/55 HP

Crusader's Strike Readied? Y/N, Expended? Y/N

Martial Spirit Stance Active? Y/N 

Smite Evil: 1/2 daily uses remaining; Teleport 2/3 daily uses remaining

Lay on Hands 30/40 HP remaining

Turn Undead 10/10 daily uses remaining (Cleric Level 1) 

Condition: None

Active Effects

Change Shape SLA (Always active; Brianna is currently appearing as Human.)

DR 2/Cold Iron or Good; Spell Resistance 15

Flaw: Pride of Arms (takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls with any non-martial weapon {ex Simple, Exotic, Unarmed, etc)

Flaw: Solitary Paragon (takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls against foes she flanks)

Aura of Resolve (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a paladin of freedom is immune to compulsion effects. Each ally within 10 feet of him gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against compulsion effects. This ability otherwise functions identically to the paladin's aura of courage class feature.

Other Abilities

Other Abilities:

• Aura of Good (detects as good aligned)
  • Darkvision 60 ft.
  • Divine Health
  • Divine Grace
  • Chaotic, Evil and Extraplanar Subtypes (alignment detects as Chaotic Evil)
  • Telepathy (50 ft. range)
  • Tongues

*Spell-Like Abilities:

• Change Shape
  • Charm Person
  • Suggestion
  • Detect Thoughts
  • Detect Evil
  • Detect Good

* - All SLAs are At-Will usage unless otherwise stated.

OOC: Reminders

Brianna recognized the xill for what it is, and she knows that there was a potential xill connection at the crime scene (in that wound you found, which looked like it had been laid over the ettercap bite).

There was also a potential ettercap connection at the crime scene, in the form of a spider bite and spider silk. Threp (the idiot minion of Grebak who's taking over the ettercap gang now that Grebak's dead) told you that Grebak's ex-girlfriend, Brezz, is probably the ettercap who left the evidence at the scene (and thus, probably the one who killed Lady Groak). He also suggested that Brezz might have joined the pain cult, Zaj'Durnakh.

So, you have some fodder for questioning, if that's the route you want to take.

Beyond that, what's the plan at this point? Some of y'all are pretty banged up, and it's past 1:00 in the morning. You could go for a rest, or you could wake up the hobgoblin and start asking her some questions.

Chailel | HP: 24/45 | AC: 19 | Touch: 14 | Flat-footed: 19parrot_1.jpg.d9465f213e169a3ccb279cca82f4e780.jpgotis_1.jpg.62e09946a87dd302c3cc8bfaf986d51f.jpgChailel_01.jpg.43cb3c52747ad53e6c97bfcda4399d92.jpg

Conditions

Chailel: Spirit Sight (See ethereal creatures), Dex Damage (-2), Draconic Aura (30ft, Fast healing 1 if < 1/2), Light on spear (8 Minutes)

"I reckon me 'n mine 'r ok fer tha moment." The old man smiles as he gives the dog a final few scratches and thumps it firmly on the flank. "Might still find ourselves in a pinch yet... wishin' we had saved it."

He shuffles to the threshold of the hobgoblins room and peeks inside briefly, before sauntering down the hall to check the Xill's room as well. "What'cha think brother? Our missing ettercap friend here somewhere?"

Actions

Chailel, Visually check the two open rooms for anything suspicious. Signs of ettercaps and/or devils, more journals/logs, bottles of poison, etc.

Otis, Track ettercaps by smell (+2 if Chailel can help in some way, guiding in a pattern like police K9?)

OOC

Edited by HydroGuy (see edit history)
Name
Spot
1d20+7 10
Otis, Survival (Scent)
1d20+5 8

Opening Doors

Chailel opens the door to the nearest room, and finds what appears to be a workshop of some sort. Jars of preserved specimens, tissue samples, and flaked or powdered herbs are lined up on shelves along the walls, a variety of cutting and sewing utensils are laid out neatly on a counter, and a number of books are lined up on one book shelf, and one book lies open on the counter

In the middle of the room, on a blood-spattered operating table sits the partially dismembered body of a humanoid-like creature, lacking a head and arms. The body is purplish and hairy, very much like the ettercaps you met before. Otis also recognizes the smell and woofs softly at it.

In the corner behind the dismembered ettercap body, a tall humanoid body is standing, strapped to a heavy, vertical slab of wood. Closer inspection shows this to be a partially-completed flesh golem. It seems to have been constructed from at least three or four different bodies, mostly hobgoblins. But, it appears that the artificer you knocked out was in the middle of sewing the dead ettercap's arms onto the golem (apparently intending to give it four arms). The messy-looking shoulders of the beast are flayed and the flesh is peeled back, revealing a tedious weaving of muscle and nerve fibers together to make this complex monstrosity function semi-normally.

Map

CoM2Map3TempleofTokanDor.png.730c7e771d52a6c11aedf00bdc3164dd.png

Conditions

At first, the old man's jaw droops loosely as he takes in the grisly scene, but as his mind assembles the pieces into a coherent realization it clenches tightly. His lip curls into a sort of snarl, his cheeks flush with scarlet, and his gnarled knuckles whiten with the strain of gripping his spear.

His attention drifts toward the door, and the perpetrator just beyond it, but just as his hips begin to turn the parrot comes fluttering through the opening. It chirps a chipper tune, landing on his shoulder and caressing his cheek. Chailel lets out a long sigh and slouches, forcing himself into a peaceful relaxation. "I reckon yer right. Tha deed's done. Aint nothin' for it." He grabs the bulk of his beard and lifts it from his chest, "Still... aint somethin' you need ta look at... Go on... Git."

With his feathered friend safely tucked away, he calls quietly to the others. "Think we found our missin' ettercap. Well... what's left of 'er." He shuffles toward the counter with the open book, "Best keep a weather eye on sleepin' beauty there, she was up ta some vile shenanigans... Maybe even string 'er up with a good knot... or some manacles if ya got 'em."

Actions

Debate "merking a fool"

Think better of it

Collect my bird

Check the open book.

OOC

Melodie & Trouble

Melodie & Trouble

Melodie Plucker :: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e :: Myth-Weavers Online Character Sheets
Female CG Lilend Gestalt, [B]Level[/B] 4, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 30/36, [B]Speed[/B] 20
[B]AC[/B] 18, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 4, [B]Ref[/B] 7, [B]Will[/B] 5, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 3   
 (+3 Dex, +5 Natural)
[B]Condition[/B] None

Tiny Animal
Familiar Benefits: Alertness, improved evasion, share spells, empathic link, Deliver touch spells

Melodie retrieves her rope from her backpack and offers to tie up their captive, she may not be the best at tying rope so she hopes that another will take the job.

The gruesome sight of the golem in the next room prompts the celestial to take off the head lest it can rise and attack, these creatures are not natural and are on the same page as undead in her books "there, that will not rise to give us trouble anytime soon. Talking of Trouble, oi come out of hiding" she says to her familiar.

Golem Workshop

Melodie decapitates the golem to ensure it can't be awakened.

Chailel takes a look at the book sitting open on the counter. It's open to the following page, which is lightly smudged with blood and alchemical fluids:

"The ettercap acromion is more slender and flexible than the hobgoblin one, so it looks like I've solved my spacing problem. I'll still have to insert a spacer on the vertebral column to make room for a second pair of shoulders, and I'm probably just going to have to rely on magic to make the extra muscles innervate properly.

"Vruknar's method doesn't work with an ettercap arm: the deltoid muscle separates too easily into individual fibers, and it won't bulk up as much when it contracts. I'm going to try adding another spar of bone between the two acromion processes to try to keep things spaced out properly. There's a supernumerary bone in the ettercap's foot that seems like the right shape, and I was able to salvage most of the ligaments with it.

"I'm glad we decided to salvage Brezz's body from the pit: I thought we were out of luck with the acromion problem. One of the arms was torn up by vargouille teeth, but I think the magic-enhanced spider webbing will hold it together. I might have to rely on magic to make sure the muscle contracts properly, though.

"I think Brezz broke her finger when she fought back, so one of the claws on the left hand doesn't seem to work. If she weren't so stupid, I'd have to wonder whether she'd done that on purpose, just to annoy me. To fix it, I'd need to cut open her hand, and I'd probably tear some important tendons. I'll just have Jurgot rig up an iron splint to hold her hand in place. That way, the golem will still be able to use the"

It just ends there. You get the impression that your arrival interrupted her note-taking.

Conditions

Chailel runs one crooked finger down the edge of the page as he reads. He scoops it up, dog-ears the page, and snaps it shut. "Whelp, that sorts tha mystery o' tha missin' ettercap." He closes his eyes and bows his head, muttering incoherently for a moment before opening them again with a sigh. "Whatever role she played in Lady Groak's killin'... looks like she paid 'er penance... 'n then some."

"Best we find some hard evidence on our disappearin' spiky friend... Confirm it was tha one that actually done the deed as well. Course, we still got quite tha conspiracy on our hands..." He shuffles toward the door, shaking his head slightly at the unconscious hobgoblin. "This 'n..? Not only do we have 'er written confession fer that mess on tha table... Her little projects might explain all tha weird sightin's round town and tha misleadin' evidence... Tracks 'n scents 'n whatnots." He holds up the book and waves it slightly. "These here Vruknar 'n Jurgot fellers..? Well, I don't reckon they're a wholesome sort..." He tucks the tome up into the folds of his tunic. "And frankly... I don't think I like tha sounds o' this pit either... Could be some innocent folks in there... gettin' used fer parts!"

He steps over the woman and continues back down the hall, his hound in tow, it's jowls flopping loosely to and fro, spreading faint splatters of drool against the stonework as it goes.

Actions

Let's check the Xill's room now I guess.

OOC

Xill's Room

Chailel walks back to the other end of the hallway. As you arrive at the door where the xill came out, you hear a voice call out: "Jezim, is that you?" it asks, "What's going on?" The voice sounds strained and weak, like a man in a substantial amount of ongoing pain.

You look in the room, and you see a hobgoblin lying on what looks like a medical bed, with a bloody towel laid over his abdomen. His face looks pale and sunken, and he's sweating profusely. "Who are you?" he asks, "Where's Jezim?"

The room around his is average size (20ft by 20ft), and there are shelves with jarred specimens that look like bloody worms in them. Hanging on the west wall are some strange-looking weapons with far too many odd-shaped points and edges, and there's a set of big iron spikes mounted on the south wall, which are tipped with old blood (like most of the spikes in the building).

Map

CoM2Map3TempleofTokanDor.png.f7090d1581a3b0ad496efce95ed41663.png

Conditions

"Well.. I reckon you don't look so good!" The old man gives the hobgoblin a friendly smile and leans against the door's frame. "Name's Chailel... Don't rightly know any Jezim... Me 'n my friends are sorta new in town."

"I might know somethin' bout that though." He points to the bloody rags. "If ya don't mind me steppin' in ta have a looksie..."

He scratches at his beard for a moment and then offers. "Wait! He wasn't a spikey, bug-lookin' feller was he? If so... he's... well... I reckon I don't really know! One minute he was here... then he jest sorta... faded away..."

Actions

Try to build a peaceful rapport.

OOC

Name
Diplomacy
1d20+17 13

Melodie & Trouble

Melodie & Trouble

Melodie Plucker :: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e :: Myth-Weavers Online Character Sheets
 (+3 Dex, +5 Natural)
[B]Condition[/B] None

Tiny Animal

Melodie follows Chailel and eyes the operation room, she too says that she does not know anyone called Jezim. She enters the room to look at the guys abdomen "what was Jezim doing to you? because you look like taking the wrong movement could cause your innards to slop out onto the floor. I am no doctor but I am sure that that would be terminal, what do you think Chailel" she asks?

Name
Diplomacy
1d20+12 12