City of Monsters Redux

Xill Room

The man watches warily, and his discomfort with having you here is plain on his face, but he doesn't react with open hostility. "I don't know you," he says, "You're not with Zaj'Durnakh: you wouldn't understand. I need Jezim. Or Methag. Where are they?"

Chailel | HP: 24/45 | AC: 19 | Touch: 14 | Flat-footed: 19parrot_1.jpg.d9465f213e169a3ccb279cca82f4e780.jpgotis_1.jpg.62e09946a87dd302c3cc8bfaf986d51f.jpgChailel_01.jpg.43cb3c52747ad53e6c97bfcda4399d92.jpg

Conditions

Chailel: Spirit Sight (See ethereal creatures), Dex Damage (-2), Draconic Aura (30ft, Fast healing 1 if < 1/2), Light on spear (8 Minutes)

Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider (+4), Undead (+2)

Concentration: n/a

Chatterbox: Dex Damage (-2)

Otis: N/A

"Zaj'Durnakh...? Now that one rings a bell..." He gestures about at the bloody spikes. "That's this whole deal, yeah? Some sort o' self betterment, through sacrifice, situation?" The old man looks around at the various tools and scratches at his beard a bit longer. "Can't say it's my cup o' tea... But I reckon I can't judge other's means o' showin' their faith... S' long as things 'r consensual that is... This is all consensual 'round here..? Right?"

Chailel reaches to pet the hound at his knees. "Tell ya what... Ya don't want our help... 'n that's yer choice... So we'll let ya be... But, we're here ta find an Ettercap dame... Name's Brezz. You direct me to 'er, 'n I'll see about findin' yer friends." He chuckles slightly. "You'll have ta give me a description though... so I know who I'm lookin' fer.

Actions

OOC

Xill Room

"Yeah, sacrifice," the hobgoblin says. He self-consciously pulls the towel tigher over his abdomen, as if trying to keep you from looking closer. "And I respect other's rights to belief, too. It's consensual. I'm okay." He smiles a smile that seems like it's trying to be triumphant, but takes a little bit too long to get there. "I'm strong enough to endure. I'm going to be only the second one who makes it, after Narlvog himself. And then I'll earn my place next to Tokan Dor."

The hobgoblin looks nervous at your questions about his friends. "Well, Jezim and Methag were the only ones in the building," he said, "Jezim just went out there to check on a noise. That was you, wasn't it?

"Ettercap? I think I saw one of those come in here once, but... well, she ain't a normal member of Zaj'Durnakh, I don't think."

Chailel | HP: 24/45 | AC: 19 | Touch: 14 | Flat-footed: 19parrot_1.jpg.d9465f213e169a3ccb279cca82f4e780.jpgotis_1.jpg.62e09946a87dd302c3cc8bfaf986d51f.jpgChailel_01.jpg.43cb3c52747ad53e6c97bfcda4399d92.jpg

Conditions

Chailel: Spirit Sight (See ethereal creatures), Dex Damage (-2), Draconic Aura (30ft, Fast healing 1 if < 1/2), Light on spear (8 Minutes)

Chailel stands up straight and takes a more serious tone. "Well, I reckon that noise was us... yes. So if that feller was Jezim... Well, he came out swingin' at our presence 'n things got heated... Then he jest sorta... disappeared. So I can't really be sure where he's at."

He pauses for a moment and takes a deep breath. "As fer Methag... if what ya say is true... she's currently unconscious in tha hall. We came lookin' fer Brezz, on suspicion o' some sinister happenin's in yer town here, includin' a murder o' one o' yer own residents... What we found was yer friend, makin' some sort o' golem thugs out o' stolen body parts... includin' pieces o' Brezz! So she'll need ta explain that in a more neutral environment."

He begins to fidget with his spear, spinning the shaft slowly back and forth against a crack in the floor. "Which puts ya at a cross roads, brother. Either, ya already know about this... which makes ya complicit... Or, yer as equally surprised n' disgusted as we are, n' yer gonna help us end it fer good by tellin' us everything ya know about what goes on 'round here. Startin' with more about this Narlvog feller."

Actions

Start pressing for information about Narlvog, the pit, Vruknar, and Jurgot.

OOC

Edited by HydroGuy (see edit history)

image.png.00ad5b40ddf3b7ba39dca3d68551c633.png

Melodie & Trouble

Melodie & Trouble

Melodie Plucker :: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e :: Myth-Weavers Online Character Sheets
Female CG Lilend Gestalt, [B]Level[/B] 4, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 30/36, [B]Speed[/B] 20
[B]AC[/B] 18, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 4, [B]Ref[/B] 7, [B]Will[/B] 5, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 3   
[B]Grab, 1d10+Str Tail Slap [/B] +2 (1d8+1, x2)
[B]Masterworked Longbow, Composite, +3 [/B] +7 (1d8+3, x3)
[B]Masterworked Greatsword [/B] +7 (2d6+4, 19-20x2)
 (+3 Dex, +5 Natural)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 16, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 21
[B]Condition[/B] None

Familiar - Albino Raven - Trouble

Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/2 of Masters = 13
Initiative: +2
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 40 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +2 Nat), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–13
Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2–5)
Full Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2–5)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Speaks Celestial
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 7, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +3, Spot +5
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Familiar Benefits: Alertness, improved evasion, share spells, empathic link, Deliver touch spells

Melodie hums to herself as she listens to the "patient" answer Chailel's questions, she sends Chailel some good luck should he need it.

OoC - @Blue Jay I had asked the "patient" a question which he did not answer.

Edited by paladinred (see edit history)

OOC: The Situation

Okay, I want to re-emphasize that you guys broke into a church well after midnight. And not just any church, but a church of blood and violence, who already had a poor relationship with the authorities that deputized you before you broke in.

I clearly can't play this kind of aggressive, brutal character very well, and I clearly don't know how to be anything except too subtle; so I'll just tell you, out-of-character, that you're taking massive circumstance penalties to your Diplomacy checks. A result of 30 (32 with Aid Another) is still going to fall short here.

Xill's Room

The hobgoblin's mood shifts a little southward. You see his eyes flicking towards the weapons hanging on the far wall, which are clearly out of his reach. For a moment, the look on his face seems like he's weighing his tactical options.

Suddenly, he tenses up and muffles a groan as a fresh wave of pain courses through him. A moment later, he relaxes again, but his breathing is heavier and his voice is weaker now. "I'm not afraid of you," he says in the most casual tone you can imagine someone using to utter that particular line under these particular circumstances, "I know your human laws. We don't have to explain anything to you. It's our religion, and you don't make the rules for it. That ettercap, if she was one of us, she knew what she signed up for. So did all the others."

He grunts in pain again, the looks stoically at the ceiling. "But I'm going to make it. I'll be the first to complete the new sacrament since Narlvog. And then I'll be untouchable by you!"

Edited by Blue Jay (see edit history)

Brianna

spacer.pngWhile the paladin had been standing vigil over the unconscious would-be prisoner, she begins to hear the raised voice of the hobgoblin from the other room; where her companions have gone. She frowns. She's not exactly best at playing nice either, but perhaps she can at least de-escalate this. She walks to the doorway in question to get everyone's attention.

"I think that's enough. It's very clear that our new friend here is unwilling to speak; as is his prerogative. It's best we secure the prisoner we have for now and return to the guard barracks or the prison, whichever is closer. Make a note of everything you've discovered here and we can return in the light of day to do this right. With the city guard, if they feel it is necessary."

With her piece said, Brianna returns to double-check the unconscious person's bindings then hauls them over her shoulder in a fireman's carry. She waits for her companions to return to her side and prepares to head to one of the aforementioned locations. She suspects the prison will be more likely to have someone awake at this hour.

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=1789045][B][SIZE=+1]Brianna[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Female CG Succubus Succubus||Paladin of Freedom, [B]Level[/B] 5, [B]Init[/B] 7, [B]HP[/B] 55/55, [B]DR[/B] 5/Cold Iron or Good, [B]Speed[/B] 30 ft./Fly 50 ft. (Average) [B]AC[/B] 23, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 20, [B]Fort[/B] 15, [B]Ref[/B] 14, [B]Will[/B] 12, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 5 [B] Claws [/B] +7 (1d6+2, x2) [B] Greatsword +1 [/B] +8 (2d6+4, 19-20/x2) [B] Masterwork Chain Shirt[/B] (+4 Armor, +3 Dex, +6 Natural) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 14, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 26 [B]Condition[/B] None
Brianna
Female CG Succubus Succubus||Paladin of Freedom, Level 5, Init 7, HP 55/55, DR 5/Cold Iron or Good, Speed 30 ft./Fly 50 ft. (Average)
AC 23, Touch 13, Flat-footed 20, Fort 15, Ref 14, Will 12, Base Attack Bonus 5
Claws +7 (1d6+2, x2)
Greatsword +1 +8 (2d6+4, 19-20/x2)
Masterwork Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex, +6 Natural)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 26
Condition None

Current Condition

37/55 HP

Crusader's Strike Readied? Y/N, Expended? Y/N

Martial Spirit Stance Active? Y/N 

Smite Evil: 1/2 daily uses remaining; Teleport 2/3 daily uses remaining

Lay on Hands 30/40 HP remaining

Turn Undead 10/10 daily uses remaining (Cleric Level 1) 

Condition: None

Active Effects

Change Shape SLA (Always active; Brianna is currently appearing as Human.)

DR 2/Cold Iron or Good; Spell Resistance 15

Flaw: Pride of Arms (takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls with any non-martial weapon {ex Simple, Exotic, Unarmed, etc)

Flaw: Solitary Paragon (takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls against foes she flanks)

Aura of Resolve (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a paladin of freedom is immune to compulsion effects. Each ally within 10 feet of him gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against compulsion effects. This ability otherwise functions identically to the paladin's aura of courage class feature.

Other Abilities

Other Abilities:

• Aura of Good (detects as good aligned)
  • Darkvision 60 ft.
  • Divine Health
  • Divine Grace
  • Chaotic, Evil and Extraplanar Subtypes (alignment detects as Chaotic Evil)
  • Telepathy (50 ft. range)
  • Tongues

*Spell-Like Abilities:

• Change Shape
  • Charm Person
  • Suggestion
  • Detect Thoughts
  • Detect Evil
  • Detect Good

* - All SLAs are At-Will usage unless otherwise stated.

Conditions

Chailel: Spirit Sight (See ethereal creatures), Dex Damage (-2), Draconic Aura (30ft, Fast healing 1 if < 1/2), Light on spear (5 Minutes)

The old man's face sinks as the hobgoblin looks to the weapons. He stops fidgeting with his stick and the hound's ears perk up, almost imperceptibly, at the change in the room's mood. "Weren't no fear intended, brother. Jest wanted ta help lay out yer options so ya could make an informed decision fer yerself..." He lets out a long sigh. "Seems like ya have..."

With Brianna's interjection he gathers himself and smiles once more, though clearly with little earnest. "I reckon ya might be right ma'am. Bird 'n the hand 'n all... And, this 'n doesn't seem ta have done anything objectively wrong... yet."

As he starts to follow, he half turns back to the hobgoblin once more. "Th' evidence shows that Miss Brezz weren't so thrilled about 'er fate. Fought back ta prevent it even... I'm guessin' someone here was less than honest with 'er about exactly what she was signin' up fer... I jest hope ya don't find yerself in the same state... After our time ta help ya is past..."

Actions

Follow Brianna out with our prisoner.

OOC

No worries Blue. I figured things were going to be tough here from a negotiation standpoint. Considering the last "church" we went to had a basement full of devils...

But Chailel "has" to try...

Leaving the Temple of Tokan Dor

The hobgoblin on the table seems unhappy with your chosen course of action, but he's caught in a moment of indecision and does nothing to stop you.

((So, you've left the temple, with the hobgoblin artificer Methag in tow. You weren't informed of a prison in town, and there isn't one called out on the map, so you'll probably want to make your way back to Telamon Manor at this point. It's late a night / early morning, so you can expect that you'll find only the night shift there on-duty, and it will likely be morning before Sir Keltus will be able to meet with you.

So, is that what you'd like to do? Or would you rather get some interrogation in, or maybe find someone to stay for a night's rest?))

Back to Telamon Manor

The party hauls the unconscious hobgoblin woman (Methag, apparently) back across the slums of Penwyle District to the Telamon Manor across the bridge. There is still some activity in the streets: mostly goblins and a few strange creatures that seem to prefer the darkness. You get some odd looks, but no outright aggression or actual stink-eyes or anything.

The guards at Telamon Manor look a little skeptical at your prisoner, but hesitantly let you in. They place Methag in a holding cell, and usher you all to a bunkroom, where you can rest for the night.

If you plan to go out and talk to more hobgoblins or goblins, they're most likely to be awake and active in the evening and morning, so you'd want to wake up a bit early (which means you won't get a full 8 hours).

If you just intend to interrogate Methag, you can probably sleep in and do that whenever you want. Sir Keltus is expected to return to the manor around 8:00 in the morning.

Brianna

spacer.png"Everyone who needs it ought to get some rest while they can. We'll want to report to Sir Keltus in the morning with everything we've discovered thus far and inform him about our prisoner." With her piece spoken, Brianna goes to find a free bed to bunk in for the night.

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=1789045][B][SIZE=+1]Brianna[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Female CG Succubus Succubus||Paladin of Freedom, [B]Level[/B] 5, [B]Init[/B] 7, [B]HP[/B] 55/55, [B]DR[/B] 5/Cold Iron or Good, [B]Speed[/B] 30 ft./Fly 50 ft. (Average) [B]AC[/B] 23, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 20, [B]Fort[/B] 15, [B]Ref[/B] 14, [B]Will[/B] 12, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 5 [B] Claws [/B] +7 (1d6+2, x2) [B] Greatsword +1 [/B] +8 (2d6+4, 19-20/x2) [B] Masterwork Chain Shirt[/B] (+4 Armor, +3 Dex, +6 Natural) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 14, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 26 [B]Condition[/B] None
Brianna
Female CG Succubus Succubus||Paladin of Freedom, Level 5, Init 7, HP 55/55, DR 5/Cold Iron or Good, Speed 30 ft./Fly 50 ft. (Average)
Claws +7 (1d6+2, x2)
Condition None

Current Condition

37/55 HP

Smite Evil: 1/2 daily uses remaining; Teleport 2/3 daily uses remaining

Lay on Hands 30/40 HP remaining

Active Effects

Flaw: Pride of Arms (takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls with any non-martial weapon {ex Simple, Exotic, Unarmed, etc)

Flaw: Solitary Paragon (takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls against foes she flanks)

Aura of Resolve (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a paladin of freedom is immune to compulsion effects. Each ally within 10 feet of him gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against compulsion effects. This ability otherwise functions identically to the paladin's aura of courage class feature.

Other Abilities

Other Abilities:

• Darkvision 60 ft.
  • Divine Health
  • Divine Grace
  • Tongues

*Spell-Like Abilities:

• Change Shape
  • Charm Person
  • Suggestion
  • Detect Thoughts
  • Detect Evil
  • Detect Good

image.png.00ad5b40ddf3b7ba39dca3d68551c633.png

Melodie & Trouble

Melodie & Trouble

Melodie Plucker :: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e :: Myth-Weavers Online Character Sheets
Female CG Lilend Gestalt, [B]Level[/B] 4, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 30/36, [B]Speed[/B] 20
[B]AC[/B] 18, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 4, [B]Ref[/B] 7, [B]Will[/B] 5, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 3   
[B]Grab, 1d10+Str Tail Slap [/B] +2 (1d8+1, x2)
[B]Masterworked Longbow, Composite, +3 [/B] +7 (1d8+3, x3)
[B]Masterworked Greatsword [/B] +7 (2d6+4, 19-20x2)
 (+3 Dex, +5 Natural)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 16, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 21
[B]Condition[/B] None

Familiar - Albino Raven - Trouble

Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/2 of Masters = 13
Initiative: +2
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 40 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +2 Nat), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–13
Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2–5)
Full Attack: Claws +4 melee (1d2–5)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Speaks Celestial
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 7, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +3, Spot +5
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Familiar Benefits: Alertness, improved evasion, share spells, empathic link, Deliver touch spells

Melodie does not need to sleep but does curl up and prey to Isis for guidance, once done she will then find a book to read.

OoC -

Conditions

Chailel: Spirit Sight (See ethereal creatures), Dex Damage (-1), Draconic Aura (30ft, Fast healing 1 if < 1/2)

Favored Enemies: Evil Outsider (+4), Undead (+2)

Chatterbox: Dex Damage (-1)

Chailel finds a bunk, then takes a few minutes to check his companions over for injury. He cradles the hound's head in his lap as he chants an incantation, closing up the bulk of the beast's scratches before settling in for the night.

Actions

Cast, Lesser Vigor on Otis, (Duration 15 rnds) (37/44 HP)

Rest overnight

Chailel (29/45 HP, +1 Dex) + LoH 14 (43/45)

Otis (41/44 HP)

Chatterbox (+1 Dex)

OOC

Edited by HydroGuy (see edit history)

Overnight

After an eventful night, the party settles in to try to get some rest in the bunks at Telamon Manor.

It isn't the best night of sleep you've ever gotten, but it's not the worst either.

In the morning, you're awakened a bit early by someone moving in or out of your bunkroom. The "someone" turns out to be a halfling from the Realm Folded Tavern named Griffen Lightstep.

(( @darlis moonbeam, Griffen signed up to join the mission with everybody else, but with the Tavern experiencing some issues recently, he arrived hours after everyone else and got left behind. We'll say you've had a moment to talk to the mission-giver (Sir Keltus, captain of the Telamon Bridge Guard), who's filled you in on the basics of the job:

• Lady Groak was murdered last night. As a hag and prominent monster-rights activist, Lady Groak's murder is politically sensitive.
  • The clues at the crime scene pointed towards a monstrous murderer, with spider-like and/or hound-like qualities.
  • The rest of your party have been investigating three leads: (1) a gang of ettercaps who had a beef with Lady Groak, (2) a temple to a nocturnal god where Lady Groak had been meeting in secret recently, and (3) a hobgoblin cult who worshiped a god of pain and violence.
  • Sir Keltus has not yet gotten a report on how their investigation went, but he knows the party brought back a hobgoblin prisoner to interrogate.

Go ahead and jump into the roleplay here.))

Edited by Blue Jay (see edit history)

Brianna

spacer.pngAs soon as she's had something to eat (because food is nice, if unnecessary, and it sells the 'illusion' of being human), Brianna promptly fills in Sir Keltus on everything that the party got up to last night. With as many details as she can recall (and the others presumably chiming in where necessary).

Statblock

Brianna
Claws +7 (1d6+2, x2)
Condition None

Current Condition

55/55 HP

Smite Evil: 2/2 daily uses remaining; Teleport 3/3 daily uses remaining

Lay on Hands 40/40 HP remaining

Active Effects

Other Abilities

Other Abilities:

• Darkvision 60 ft.
  • Divine Health
  • Divine Grace
  • Tongues

*Spell-Like Abilities:

• Change Shape
  • Charm Person
  • Suggestion
  • Detect Thoughts
  • Detect Evil
  • Detect Good