Tujan the Prison Isle

The tall sergeant gave the 5 characters a short nod and then took them through the portal, they arrived in the frozen land of Iq Bho at the port city of Old Ashton. The temperature was -20 C and a biting wind cut through you "in here guys" Sergeant Winthrop said. Ushering you inside the large stone building you are greeted by the warmer inside, you are shown into a meeting room where Dr Tibbid is in conversation with a powerful-looking female officer. He greets you warmly "welcome adventurers, I am Dr Tibbid and this is Captain Mishca who runs the asylum. Please take a seat, the drink is Eastern Sunset. A drink that has a property that keeps out the cold all-day, I will let Mishca explain what we know and what she has seen, she can also answer questions on the building" he says.

image.png.0bd2458e33557ca3f318d542b001c2a2.png

Captain Mishca is an imposing figure, a human woman of at least six feet tall, she looks like she could go toe to toe with an owlbear and win "hello adventurers, I will happily answer your questions" she says in a surprisingly feminine voice.

Kilgrim2.jpg.1b74654366aa4c618d0c60b16bb4412f.jpg Strunthal Stormbeard Character Sheet

Dwarf, Rogue (3)||Dwarven Paragon (1)/Fighter (2)

AC: 17 (+4 Armor, +3 Dex) | HP: 38/38 (3d10) | Speed: 20 ft.

Touch AC: 13 | Flat Footed AC: 14
Senses: Spot: +8, Listen: +8, Search: +8
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 06 (-2)
Languages: ??

My words, | My thoughts, | My actions . . .

Strunthal follows through the portal and immediately gasps when he hits the extremely cold air.

Gods! A little warning would have been nice.

He quickly follows inside the building to get out of the cold. He accepts the drink, slamming it down to get rid of the affects of the weather, and listens to the doc and the Captain.

Well to start with, how about a map of the island and asylum? We need to know the layout. Also, clarification. Are you asking us to go find out what happened and report back to you or are you asking us to go over there and take care of the situation? And last, could you provide us with some cold weather gear so we don't freeze to death trying to get there?

OOC

Drewan Ghoststep

catfolk-ranger-with-black-and-white-fur-fighting-against-v0-xYzgu8y_FTj2Gv6YoUQTNBkez3_SmtU9CmTUo5FDl3Y.jpg.b8568fe23ee3b259b09dec918d8b1c67.jpg

Statblock 

Catfolk LA+1/Ranger 1, Ranger/Rogue 2, [B]Level[/B] 3, [B]Init[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 27/27, [B]Speed[/B] 40 [B]AC[/B] 19, [B]Touch[/B] 14, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 5, [B]Ref[/B] 7, [B]Will[/B] 2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 4 [B] MW Composite Longbow +1 Str (20 x Arrows) [/B] +9 (1d8+1, x3) [B] MW Scimitar [/B] +6 (1d6+1, 18-20x2) [B] 2x Throwing axes [/B] +8 (1d6, x2) [B] Mithril Chain Shirt[/B] (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Natural) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14 [B]Condition[/B] None
Catfolk LA+1/Ranger 1, Ranger/Rogue 2, Level 3, Init 4, HP 27/27, Speed 40
AC 19, Touch 14, Flat-footed 15, Fort 5, Ref 7, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 4
MW Composite Longbow +1 Str (20 x Arrows) +9 (1d8+1, x3)
MW Scimitar +6 (1d6+1, 18-20x2)
2x Throwing axes +8 (1d6, x2)
Mithril Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Natural)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14
Condition None

As Drewan steps through the portal leading his mount through his fur stood up in the sudden stiff breeze that came blowing across them. He leads his mount to where they would be cared for and then steps inside with a slight sigh of relief at its warmer temperatures.

Settling into the seat he takes a deep swallow of the warming beverage. "Oh this is good. I assume we will have a supply of this to bring with us." there is a slight hiss as he pronounces the s's. Though otherwise he spoke the common tongue with hardly an accent. He nods his head at the dwarf's questions. He follows up with another of his own "Has the Order of the Mages made its report yet, do we have any idea what we will be walking into on the island, while I understand that is part of what we shall be doing, any clues will help us be prepared. Also I assume there would be little need for me to bring my mount to the island, will it be safe here on the mainland while we are gone?"

He settles back to listen as well as try to get a feel for his new companions, they would have to rely on each other and trust was a fickle thing with strangers. It dawned on him it might be a good idea to at least somewhat introduce himself. "I am Drewan Ghoststep by the way, I am a woodsman who is pretty handy with a bow and assorted other skills that help me and those with me survive."

Name
Sense Motive
1d20+4 10
Spot
1d20+5 2
Diplomacy
1d20+5 19

spacer.pngEmerging from the portal, Argent followed the sergeant and the group into the stone building, standing at a corner of the table out of the way. The apparently cold weather had not phased him but he accepted the warm drink gratefully nonetheless, gripping the mug carefully in a clawed forelimb. He was often grateful that his draconic ancestry came with opposable thumbs and wondered if having hooves alone was part of what kept his mother living the simple life back in her grove.

With his snowy owl familiar perched lightly on one shoulder, the unicorn listened to the doctor and the captain begin to explain their situation and to the questions from his fellow adventurers, nodding as they raised relevant issues with the plan.

"A map is a good idea and I'm curious about the report from the mages as well," he agreed, before sharing his own thoughts on the situation. "If this Mezzina is only called 'the Mad' because of the atrocity that landed her in the Asylum, it's possible she's entirely sane and just needed a way in." He paused briefly to gather his thoughts. "Perhaps she isn't after anything about the island or its history. She may be looking for a person instead. What can you tell us about the other residents? Is there anyone with a history with Mezzina? Anyone with a particularly unique ability or knowledge?"

OOC

Still getting used to the new site. Does anyone know how to make text white? There's nothing even close to it on the Default or Power colour palettes.

Edited by Barrigan (see edit history)

Finn| AC 17 | Ini: 3 | BAB +3 | Hit Points: 27/27 | Size: Medium | Speed: 30 ft |
Touch: +13| Fort: +5 | Ref: +4 | Will: +4 | FF: +14

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/43/64/34/4364349afbfd4853a3995548f9b086d8.jpg

Warlock warms his hand before sipping a drink "Damn, how do the guards stay sane during this weather? I hope the pay is worth it. So while my companions ask reasonable questions I'll ask one...unorthodox, but given the situation, I think it necessary. If we find the patients on the loose that are not Mezzina, are we to put them down or detain them?"

Tools of the Trade

Equipment:

Rapier: 1d20+7, 1d6, (18/20x2)

Dagger: 1d20+6, 1d4 (19/20x2)

Actions/OOC

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

Spells:

Level 0 (DC 13, 5 slots/day):

Acid Splash

Disrupt Undead

Ray of Frost

Touch of Fatigue

Level 1 (DC 14, 5 slots/ day):

Shocking Grasp

Blade of Blood

Chill Touch

Kelgore’s Fire Bolt

OOC:

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)
Name
Sense Motive
1d20+6 20

image.png.5da1df5ad4981a722717d526157bfa9e.png

The Captain turns to the doctor and is passed a roll of parchment, opening it out she points at the map and says "this is an accurate map, the old fort is just mere rubble and is about two days travel in the given conditions".

image.png.d29b3a687737c9b37da38b0d21c2f066.png

She then unfolds another roll of parchment "this is about as accurate as you are going to get, there has been some work done since this was drawn but it is fairly accurate. The 1st floor is where we keep inmates, it is mostly cells and bathrooms. Inmates are expected to keep clean and bathe every other day, the kitchen is on the ground floor and most of the inmates eat there. Some are cell-bound due to illness and some are being punished for various crimes, the more dangerous are kept in the side cells. If you need any more information then please ask" she says as she passes the scrolls to you.

image.png.4bb093e60d98d5f08b528a5661c84081.png

The captain replies to Warlock "you are to use whatever force you see fit to use, if the inmates are hostile then terminate them. If they can be saved then please save them, some are here voluntarily. As far as Mezzina is concerned, please save her if she can be saved. Discovering her motives will give us a better picture of what is actually going on " she says.

Kilgrim2.jpg.1b74654366aa4c618d0c60b16bb4412f.jpg Strunthal Stormbeard Character Sheet

Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 06 (-2)
Languages: Common, Dwarf, Goblin and Orc

He glances over at Drewan and nods as he introduces himself.

I am Strunthal Stormbeard. I am good in a fight and have a gift for getting into places I am not wanted.

He then listens to the replies give to everyone's questions.

Wow! You don't even have a floor plan for this place? Sorry Captain, but that is bad planning on your part. When this is over, I suggest you hire someone to make a detailed floor plan, just in case something like this happens again.

So all we have is a rough outline of what the place is shaped like. I assume this rectangular part over on the right is the door into the place. What is the triangle around it? and what is this squiggly line here on the bottom?

And how many floors are there? All you have mentioned is the 1st, or ground floor, which normal are the same thing. What is on the other floors if all the inmates are kept on the first floor? Not trying to be a pain, just was hoping we would not be going in totally blind.

He shakes his head. It seems the Captain has not only failed at her job, but is really bad at it.

OOC

Finn| AC 17 | Ini: 3 | BAB +3 | Hit Points: 27/27 | Size: Medium | Speed: 30 ft |

"Now, now, we at least know the direction we need to go. The thought of roaming around aimlessly on this island freezes my blood. Probably literally." He looks around "Oh yeah, introductions. Finn is the name and I do some swordplay and some spellcasting. Sometimes at the same time, something that did not come cheap."

He returns his attention to their hosts "Would you illuminate us why you would prefer to have what appears to be the instigator of this mystery alive? Unlike those who were admitted voluntarily she, to my understanding very much did not, and as for questioning her I'm quite certain that you know that sometimes even dead can talk."

Tools of the Trade

Equipment:

Actions/OOC

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

Spells:

Acid Splash

Disrupt Undead

Ray of Frost

Touch of Fatigue

Shocking Grasp

Blade of Blood

Chill Touch

Kelgore’s Fire Bolt

OOC:

Devon Bohl | "My Speech" | 'My thoughts' | My actions.

Devon Bohl Sheet Male, Neutral Good, Human Wizard 3 // Factotum 3, Level 3, Init +6, HP 27/27, Speed 40ft
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +3, BAB +2
Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 08
Conditions None

Memorized Spells

SPELL SLOTS (Cantrip, DC 14) 3+3 | (1st, DC 15) 1+3+1 | (2nd, DC 16) 0+3+1 | (3rd) 0

1. Detect Magic, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, (Caltrops*), (Caltrops*), (Caltrops*)

2. Color Spray, Color Spray, (Grease*), (Grease*), (Lesser Orb of Acid*)

3. Web*, (Web*), (Glitterdust*), (Glitterdust*)

Feats / Abilities

FEATS
  • FLAW: Expeditious Dodge(RotW)
  • FLAW: False Focus(Pathfinder)
  • Wizard 1: Scribe Scroll
  • Human: Able Learner
  • 1st: Extraordinary Artisan(EbCS)
  • 3rd: Craft Wondrous Item
ABILITIES
  • Trapfinding
  • Inspiration 3/3
  • Abrupt Jaunt 4/4
  • Arcane Dilettante 1/1 < /span>

Devon steps through the portal and the cold drives a shocked AAAHHHH! out of him in surprise. He pulls his shield up to try and block as much of the wind as possible. He quickly rushes into the tent as soon as possible with the others. He accepts the drink gratefully, but abruptly. "This could have been provided before we stepped through the portal, unless some point is being made here." He drinks the concoction, and begins to feel better. This eases his bitterness about the unannounced cold.
Listening to the others' questions, he nods in agreement, and then introduces himself to the Doctor, the Captain, and the others. "OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, so ..." He pulls out something to write on, and to write with, taking notes. "My name is Devon Bohl, Wizard. I agree with the others that more details on these maps could be critical to our endeavor. Number of floors, locations of specific areas like Kitchen, Armory, sections of sleeping quarters, entrances and exits, locations of potential supplies, possible safe or dangerous spaces, and any security measures that could aid or hinder us. in addition to this, what would be helpful would be a list names and short descriptions of notable people that should be at the facility. People that may be of help, as well as those to be most wary of."
He continues writing down all the notes he can, in a desire to be thorough and with the knowledge that reference materials can be very valuable when cut off from information sources. While doing so, he also mumbles, "It also goes without saying that drinks and cold weather gear should be supplied due to the lack of notification about the weather."

OOC:

I don't expect you to name all of these people IC, just have them relay the info so that we can later say "Does this person match info we were given?"
Devon is plain looking, slightly short, and scrawny. He carries with him a strange looking wooden shield. It has ragged edges and shrapnel dangerously sticking out of it as if it was damaged in a large explosion.

The captain looked a little frustrated at the number of questions and took a deep breath to relax a little "ok, where we are, Iq-Bho, the ground floor is the floor at ground level and the 1st floor is the one above it, Lunaria only has the two floors. We will be sending you with some of the brew due to the cold, you should not need furs but if you would prefer some then we will fit you out with some. The more detailed maps have been sent over as the building is to have some alterations, these have not been started at this time. That brings me onto the list of people that you might meet, I believe that as there is no word from them all the staff are either held hostage or dead. We have had no demands at this time so we are assuming the latter, we want Mezzina alive as she must have someone whom she has been in contact with and we want to know who. I am happy to answer more questions if you have them" she says. The captain points out which rooms are staff and where the guard stations are, she also points out where the kitchen facilities are and toilets/baths etc.

"Have a contact with someone?" Finn looks at the barren map of the island and then pointedly glances at the horrid weather outside "If this map is not lacking some settlements, that someone would, not 100%, but most likely be someone from the inside. Do you have any suspicions? I assume guards at this place are rather strict by necessity, but what about other staff? Cooks, cleaners, orderlies... Also, while on the point of the staff, how many bodies are we expecting to find, alive or dead? I'd hate to think we have everyone accounted for just for Mezzina to pop up with few hostages."

Tools of the Trade

Equipment:

Actions/OOC

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

Spells:

Acid Splash

Disrupt Undead

Ray of Frost

Touch of Fatigue

Shocking Grasp

Blade of Blood

Chill Touch

Kelgore’s Fire Bolt

OOC:

Without the need to look in a book, the captain says "there are 75 souls in there, the map looks blank because it is. There are no settlements on the isle or much in the way of wildlife, the isle was chosen for it's bareness. There is a hot spring that supplies us with hot running water" she says, just then a light knock on the door causes everyone to turn in that direction.

image.png.07cb3d0714a75f2ca051aab4dd298049.png

A slight female enters the room dressed in a Mithril chainshirt and carrying a haversack "I am ready Captain Mishca, the boat is also ready" she says.

Captain Mishca looks to the party "this is Amyly, she is one of the most advanced healers we have. She will be accompanying you, if you have more questions then please ask them now" she says as Amyly flies over to the party.

Languages: Common, Dwarf, Goblin and Orc

He looks around at the others, realizing they are not getting much more useful info from these people.

So, are you all ready to go?

He will accept the offered potion/drink and tucks away the maps they offered, even though they aren't going to help much, but he can update them as they go.

OOC

Finn sighs "That is a lot of people to sift through, let's hope we find better maps in the fort. When I was incarcerated, totally by mistake of course, guards usually had a map of the floor in their guard room." He prepares to follow Dwarf

Tools of the Trade

Equipment:

Actions/OOC

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

Spells: