Book 2: Chapter 3 - North and North

Powderhorn

spacer.pngIf the sudden emergence of this being had been amazing, the rapid learning-which was to Iphigenia now evident-was even more so. Clearly, Iphigenia was in the presence of something not merely supernatural, but... almost divine in nature. Never one too pious or religious, she nevertheless could feel and understand power when in its presence.

"She is learning..." she whispered to Karadoon in reply to his comment. Nothing written would need to be used-they simply had to keep on speaking.

And so, she led by example: falling to her knees, almost as if a priest in awed genuflection, she averted her gaze from the naked form, and spoke in deference and humility.

"Great Oracle, we have journeyed for many days to seek your counsel. I am Iphigenia. You can understand our simple tongue, can you not?"

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

Karadoon puzzled through the older form of dwarven for a long moment.

"It seems like she might be related to those who built the oracle chamber, Iphigenia, but we are not there yet. The language magic or whatever it was in that place functioned much the same.

Talula, I am Karadoon of the Stone Eye clan. I think you have slept for a very long time. I think a great fire may have swept through here long ago. Near the big river the forest grows thick."

Weapon - Combat stats

Late Summer - Day 72 - Northward to the Oracles

spacer.png

The woman pauses, tries a couple sounds out in her strange foreign tongue, and then shapes the new sounds of Common. "Ooooor... ooor. Or-ack... Orac-al. Oracle."

Once she has a grasp on the shapes and sounds of Common, she looks to Karadoon quizzically and says in clear, unaccented common, "A forest in the midst of Glynnsburna? While I cannot say that I disagree with the idea, it does make me wonder how many decades have passed for trees to stand in your streets. I see you are armed - for which I see I must be grateful - but I admit you have me confused. So far from the front - does your war fare poorly?"

So the forest nymph was sharper than any of them if her acuity at language was to be judged. No sense in even attempting deception then for a mind with so fine an edge as that would pierce and then split asunder the smallest gap or flaw in a lie or omission set before it.

We have had a similar conversation as this before where we had consorted although not by choice with a spirit of the undead in another place some weeks ago. But you are not undead if I reckon correctly and perhaps I do although perhaps I may not.

With you I will deal honestly but I warn you in my rustic nature and our cultural gulf that lies between you and my company my speech and manner may be to your perception uncouth.

Of this war, I am not sure what you speak. War endures even as cities rot and wither. But I doubt the war of which you refer persists or rather if it persists in the same nature as it did.

The current status is this - he provides a very brief summary regarding how the situation stands but nothing that would compromise their plans - and I fear that may be alien to you.

Tell me, what was the previous form you took or were joined with, and why did it assail us?

spacer.png

"How curious. The last I remember are members of the Black Banner Legion razing my own forest for materiel to lay siege to Glynnsburna. My forest is gone - but you are here - but Glynnsburna seems to be no more from what you tell me. In truth, I am uncertain what time has passed nor what shape I took in that time. I question whether that was even 'me' - though I am at present unequipped for such philosophical musings. It feels as thought I just woke from a bad dream.

Perhaps, in the strictest sense, I am 'undead' as you put it. I recall living, and now I am living again. Rather than 'undead,' however, I think I might prefer 'realive.'"

spacer.pngIphigenia rose-timidly at first-and listened carefully as the maiden spoke. If she had a notebook, she would be keeping notes... but perhaps not. Such a thing might offend this being.

But the chance to learn more about this war-torn land's history intrigued her, and the temptation was far too great to resist. She cleared her throat and spoke, eager for answers.

"Re-alive... Indeed it must be so. You are in fact far from the first that we have found in this land in this condition. Other... re-alive... beings we have encountered, though none as articulate or intelligent as you. They were fair folk also, I believe: a race you may know as elves, or perhaps by another name, lost to our histories."

She paused for a brief moment, considering her next few words.

"This old war that you speak of... and this Black Banner Legion. Were they perchance of another race, one that our peoples call the dark elves? Or perhaps you know them by their new name: the Maliente?

I have reason to believe that they had a part to play in the wars of old with your kind. Some powerful magic must still bind the spirits of those who fell to the land that once belonged to them."

Harlan rubs his chin thoughtfully. "Mayhaps she came under some kind of curse when her forest was felled? Been seeing ghosts all over this island. I don't know that she's... well, 'realive.' Seems more like maybe you were slumbering in some sense? Huh, absolutely fascinating." The doctor comments, examining the trees and forest around them.

brother_koji.png.db3e3bb099e1b76d282b3e6b702cc501.pngBrother Koji 

"It is lovely to meet you Talula, as my compatriots have said, we have come recently to this land, thinking we had discovered it, but find ourselves on a world history, we do not know and are now seeking to learn more. We.." he gestures to the ensembled group "... I believe are trying to do what is right and good, but I fear our ignorance of the old history might hurt us or the people we meet, could we perhaps learn from each other"  he keeps his eyes firmly locked on hers, not daring to look anywhere else.

"It appears that the inhabitants of this land have slumbered, or died and been left between here or the afterlife, and been driven mad, or mindless. Could you tell us of the factions that fought this war, and what they looked like, etc, anything would help."

spacer.png

"The Black Banner Legion were not of the Maliente - rather they were allied to them. I would describe them as having skin hues from green to orange, packed on with muscle - highly aggressive and militant. I have no other name for them, alas - but the Maliente you are already familiar with. Either not so much time has passed as you may think, or their people have been particularly resilient to the rigors of time."

"This does not exhaust the factions of the Maliente, however. While I was less aware than I needed to be of the war, it did seem to be that the Deep Dwarves - these are Dwarves much like you," she says, looking to Karadoon, "but on the whole of darker complexion, were also somehow involved - though more as experts in siege equipment, as they were the ones who scouted my forest for the optimal trees to cut. They burned everything else so as to deny its resources to Glynnsburna."

"Glynnsburna, a great city, was fighting against them. I imagine other such cities had joined in, but understand that I was only ever in my forest. Glynnsburna was peopled by individuals much as yourselves, hence my initial confusion."

Where is this city, Glynnsburna, relative to this place? It may be worthwhile to journey there and pay respects to the long departed and see if any remnants of the wisdom within remains.

But tell me, when we first came across you or what we thought was you, there was a botanical miscreation instead of you. What could have done that?

spacer.pngIphigenia turned to the others and nodded as they spoke and asked their questions, indicating her agreement. When at last Stavard spoke, she waited for the answer, before adding a remark of her own.

"It is crystal clear even to me, an ignorant outlander, that the Maliente are and have always been a blight upon this land. But you-you are an ancient being of great power, I sense, and deathless.

Does your heart not long for vengeance? We are only few, but we hail from nations that have great military might, and could-if convinced-challenge the power of these accursed dark elves."

spacer.png

"Due east to the mighty river - the city proper was where it emptied to the sea, but there were outlying towns north all the way into the hills and mountains to the river's head. What remains - I no longer know."

"As for myself - I do not know what I was, or if that even was me, or merely my essence, when you first arrived here. I have no knowledge of that time, and have memory only of my forest being destroyed by the Black Banner Legion - and then waking up to you. I believe that I do desire vengeance - however I am bound to the forest. Even being here, in this treeless plain, saps my energy. Should the Glynnsburna be reclaimed by nature, and you intend to journey there regardless, I believe I may accompany you and establish my new home - so long as I do not impose."

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

Karadoon shuffled nervously when Talula pointed out his own likeness to the Maliente allies. His discomfort passed quickly as she clearly did not mistake him for such.

"I may know of the fate of Glynnsburna. We found the remains of piers, solid stone pylons in the river. Clearly a dock or wharf of great import had burn there. We also found a few charred remnants, barely left by the ravages of time. I think the city was burned. A thick forest grows there now. You might find it suitable, Talula.

That river is the same we traversed to find the orc outpost. Talula, do you know of a people who were heavily muscled. Tall like men, with protruding jaws and teeth. A greenish cast to their skin? We believe they served the Maliente but are possibly on the verge of rebelling. Their outpost was up the river, near where it entered the mountains proper."

Weapon - Combat stats

spacer.png

"Indeed, you describe the Black Banner Legion as I understand them. It is intriguing that they are now servants to the Maliente, when before they were allies. Seen as lesser by the Maliente no doubt, but lesser none the less. A rebellion from them would be an interesting twist of fate for them."

"As for being barely touched by the ravages of time - I cannot say I am surprised. After all, neither am I!"

Do you know anything of this oracle? It may be a new place in the world but it may not be so. I have no objections to you accompanying us as far as the now ruined city. Shall we?