Out of Character Discussion

Butchern

Works for me! 😄 And if the discussion starts to go badly, Coupard can correct the nurse, you can ask the girl about birds, and Malcolm can invite everyone to his next show. 😄 

(Seriously though, I like y'all's questions all around and just have nothing to add. When the doctor shows up, I'll pull him aside and we can talk pro-to-pro.)

Hehe. 😄 This is why play-by-post is such a horrible medium for anything. We aren't fiction writing, because no scene in any novel would play out the way a play-by-post scene plays out, because the results would be awful, just terrible to have to read and horribly unrealistic. Ensemble scenes are tricky in the hands of a single experienced writer. PbP is a massive, continuous ensemble scene written by a gaggle of rank amateurs with virtually no collaboration. No one in real life or in any novel behaves the way a PbP character has to behave just to have a chance to participate in the story. And worse, this is Call of Cthulhu, so there is no action to speak of. You can only talk and occasionally roll, so every time players type their posts, they want to talk and roll dice, even if it doesn't make any sense at all. 😄 And why wouldn't you? You only get to do something for about fifteen minutes every few days. That's so little real estate, players gonna play any chance they get. And we are playing a game using almost the slowest format possible and using a terrible form of asynchronous and incomplete communication. I'm guessing if we had each player describe what they think happened in the Dean's office, we would get five very different accounts. That's how bad PbP is. It only exists because of its unbelievably low commitment level in a fairly high-commitment hobby. 😄

We just have to embrace the suck and move on with the story game whatever this is we are doing. Y'all are doing great!

@Caystodd the doctor has arrived. Talk away.

[Edit] Speaking of . . . looks like Stone and Coupard both picked up the pencil? Stone got there first, so we're going with him.

Edited by Butchern
the doc arrived (see edit history)

Can we tell if she is filling correct/reasonable answers in the crossword? I am trying to gauge how coherent her thoughts are, my impression is that she is intelligent/can comprehend the world around her, just quiet for unknown reason. Essentially, I am trying to deduce how accurate that impression is from what we see.

14 hours ago, matt_s said:

Can we tell if she is filling correct/reasonable answers in the crossword? I am trying to gauge how coherent her thoughts are, my impression is that she is intelligent/can comprehend the world around her, just quiet for unknown reason. Essentially, I am trying to deduce how accurate that impression is from what we see.

She obviously doesn't want you (or anyone) to see what is on the paper. She could be playing a game of some sort or it might be more. You can see what is on the paper, but you have to put forth some effort. No need to roll but you have to stick your head down there to look, go stand behind her to look over her shoulder, catch her when she is not paying attention, snatch the paper out of her hand, something. Only one character can take this approach for obvious reasons.

If you want to see what is on the paper without her knowing that you are trying to thwart her efforts to hide the paper, make a hard Spot Hidden roll. Anyone and everyone interacting with her can make this roll.

Edited by Butchern (see edit history)

I'm trying to prod about the history of her condition, the closest thing to a real lead I see from this scene is that (1) it is an unknown condition afflicting her and (2) it sounds like it may have only been from 13 months ago which is when she was brought here. We could ask her about the rock at the very real risk of panicking her by digging up old trauma or suchlike, so that should be one the last things we ask I guess.

18 hours ago, matt_s said:

I'm trying to prod about the history of her condition, the closest thing to a real lead I see from this scene is that (1) it is an unknown condition afflicting her and (2) it sounds like it may have only been from 13 months ago which is when she was brought here. We could ask her about the rock at the very real risk of panicking her by digging up old trauma or suchlike, so that should be one the last things we ask I guess.

On 9/7/2022 at 7:57 PM, Butchern said:

The doctor stopped while he was still out of earshot of Ramirez.

The doctor, nurse #1, and I are having our conversation well out of earshot of the girl (and y'all). If you plan to leave her and come over to join our conversation, you may want to make that clear in your post. It may not matter, but you never know. I have a suspicion that the girl isn't done being creepy yet. 😄