Out of Character Discussion

Butchern

A few notes:

The South Carolina State Hospital (as it is now called) was founded as the South Carolina Lunatic Asylum in 1821. It is really located in Columbia, SC, but I moved it closer to Charleston for ease of story. Near the end of the 19th century the hospital name was changed to the South Carolina Hospital for the Insane. It had all the numerous and horrible problems that most mental hospitals had in the middle of the 20th century, but it was one of the first public hospitals for mental illness in the United States. It closed in stages, the last being in 1995 when the buildings were repurposed for government use.

It will take about an hour to drive up to the hospital. Any of you with a highish credit rating can have a car.

To the library or to the hospital? Or somewhere else?

I moved us to the hospital. You can have come in one car or two. Either is fine. I also went ahead and had Livingston call ahead, so they are expecting you. No rolls will be needed to see the patient, but if you want some private or protected information, that might take some dice work. We'll cross those bridges when we come to them.

Also, you will need some story to give the nurse/doctor. They will want to know why you are there. I will call for some sort of roll if you lie, and the outcome will affect their disposition to you going forward.