The Brazen Bull

image.png.32c3c9d08d97841008dc5dd718ec94f1.png Zenobios replies “I don’t mean right now. We need more people, but it doesn’t feel right leaving that below the city to hurt who knows how many folks”

spacer.png

spacer.png | HP 21/22 AC 1 (0 vs. Evil) DR 2 | Saves 16 (vs. all +2) | Speed 30' | React/Loyal +2 | Abilities | Combat
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

With a cough to stifle her motherly protection, Luci looked at Zeno softer. "Oh, uh, of...of course. I didn't mean... We can't lose you too. I agree it doesn't feel right leaving ask that down there. Once we can secure more hands, we'll treacle the statue room again. But until then..."

The woman paused and looked into her chowder. Her spoon moved through it with boredom.

Prompt: native man old, eagle, color, realistic beautiful

Dathan half-pict Druid 2, ac 5, hp: 18

Dathan studies the group and they look a bit shell shocked. Then again that is the price of adventuring. He finishes his chowder lets out a belch and says, " looks like we are on the same quest, I guess. Not sure what statue creature that is but let's be careful of that. I know we just met but we could work together. I am not a cleric but my druidical powers might be useful"

image.png.75fbaf4561a4a081ec960502943a781c.pngPutting his hands on Zenobios' shoulders, Wu exclaims. "Young man, you aren't going no where without more healin' and I've used all mine keeping your sorry ass on this side of the grave. Now if you insist on going down, we could visit an apothecary they may have some potions. I'm thinking it won't be cheap, but Iodás might not be dead yet. And there is that kid to think about."

It's still early enough to hit up a shop and head down today. I think you have enough in the party funds for one or two potions.

Posted (edited)

image.png.75fbaf4561a4a081ec960502943a781c.pngWu exclaims slaps himself on the forehead and exclaims. "Oh my goodness I misremembered. I can make one more handful of magic berries. But then I’m done for the day. Can’t do no more, I’ll go potion shopping instead.”

okay. Zenobios has 7 hit points now, Not full but enough to get going.

Edited by Saltimbanco (see edit history)
Name
Last Goodberries 
2d4 2,4

Prompt: native man old, eagle, color, realistic beautiful

Dathan half-pict Druid 2, ac 5, hp: 18

Dathan comments, "you know from the mountains I brought some fresh berries, a winter blackberry that has some healing properties. I have enhanced them to make some good berries. I have five of them if it will help. "

any accept these are good berries spell

Edited by dtspurrier (see edit history)
Name
amount goodberries
2d4 3,2

image.png.e1d6c814016ca607a0ff6f8cff4b518c.pngZenobios Aellaidoros - Fighter 1st lvl

| MV 40 | AC 4 (scale, large shield) | Hps 11/11 | #A 3/2 (hand axe) D (1d6+1) lt. Crossbow #A 1/1 D (1d6+2) | SV 16 | ML 7 |

S 14 (+1 dmg; 3:6; 16%) D 13 (+1 atk; 3:6; 8%) C 14 (+1 hps; 80%; 3:6 8%) I 8 W 13 C 10

Heroic Fighting - double attacks vs 1 Hd foes when wielding mastered weapons.

Weapon Mastery

• Hand Axe - Attack Rate 3/2 +1 attack, +2 damage
  • Light crossbow - Rate of Fire 1/1 +2 attack, +1 damage

Equipment: 1 hand axe, large shield, scale mail, light crossbow, 9 bolts

Posted (edited)

image.png.6b6eb6c15337b58d8235b249132e3432.pngAfter resting up, securing more equipment, and making arrangements for Muireach's body, you head back to the lotus den. This time, it is devoid of any miscreants, but you can't be sure how long they will stay away. Abandoned buildings tend to attract the destitute in the poverty stricken city-state of Khromarium.

You make your way down the hole, carefully pulling the crate back over the opening above you. The ladder descends 40 feet a cave lumpy with limestone deposits. Your journeys through the caves so far had revealed tubular limestone tunnels ranging from 8 to 21 feet in diameter. Thin layers of moisture collect on the walls and ceilings, sometimes dripping down to puddle on the floor. Occasional stalactites and stalagmites protrude; too, flowstone forms lumpy irregularities about the walls.

Your previous explorations revealed a northernmost tunnel which led to unexplored branches.

To the west was the room with the collapsed floor (6) where Muireach fell and Iodás fought the giant python. Which was delicious after Amnesta lightly fried and spiced it and made tacos. Beyond that cave, you still hear the occasional cry that seems to say "Help?".

On the way northwards, the tunnel branches again. To the right was left unexplored, but to the left it leads to the cave with spatters of dried blood caking the walls around this cave's northeastern exit (10). Bloody handprints, footprints (some large), and streaks paint the surrounding floor, disappearing into the darkness east and then north.

image.png.32c3c9d08d97841008dc5dd718ec94f1.png “Remember, there was a lot of blood everywhere. Maybe that’s the secret?”

Zenobios draws his handaxe, and gets ready to move forward. His shield is over his back so that he can hold a torch in his other hand.

Stat block 

Zenobios Aellaidoros - Fighter 1st lvl

| MV 40 | AC 4 (scale, large shield) | Hps 11/11 | #A 3/2 (hand axe) D (1d6+1) lt. Crossbow #A 1/1 D (1d6+2) | SV 16 | ML 7 |

S 14 (+1 dmg; 3:6; 16%) D 13 (+1 atk; 3:6; 8%) C 14 (+1 hps; 80%; 3:6 8%) I 8 W 13 C 10

Heroic Fighting - double attacks vs 1 Hd foes when wielding mastered weapons.

Weapon Mastery

• Hand Axe - Attack Rate 3/2 +1 attack, +2 damage
  • Light crossbow - Rate of Fire 1/1 +2 attack, +1 damage

Equipment: 1 hand axe, large shield, scale mail, light crossbow, 9 bolts

spacer.pngZalven Tainos - Illusionist of the Second Order, Adherent of the Gleaming Eye

HP: 10/10 | AC: 8 | SV: 16 | Class Abilities | Gear | Sorcery | Character Sheet

Zalven nods to Zenobios.

"No wonder there was so much blood, given that mechanical monstrosity... though I feel you may be right. A blood offering, perhaps? It seems barbaric, but I've heard of worse in my studies. I recall some topics, but not about savage statues that move like that..."

He speaks as he follows the others, lighting a torch to light the way.

Attributes & Stats

Attributes & Stats

Strength (ST)

• Att. Mod (Melee): +0
  • Dmg Adj: +0
  • Test of ST: 2:6
  • Ex Feat of ST: 4%

Dexterity (DX)

• Att. Mod (missile): +1
  • Defence Adj: +1
  • Test of DX: 3:6
  • Ex Feat of DX: 24%

Constitution (CN)

• HP Adj: +1
  • Poison/Rad. Adj: 0
  • Trauma Survival: 80%
  • Test of CN: 3:6
  • Ex Feat of CN: 8%

Intelligence (IN)

• Languages: +2
  • Bonus Spells: Lv. 3
  • Learn New Spell: 85%

Wisdom (WS)

• Willpower Adj: 0
  • Bonus Spells: N/A
  • Learn New Spell: N/A

Charisma (CH)

• Reaction/Loyalty Adj: 0
  • Max. Henchmen: 4
  • Undead Turning Adj: 0

Edited by VennDygrem (see edit history)
Name
Intelligence check
1d20 4

spacer.png

spacer.png | HP 32/33 AC 1 (0 vs. Evil) DR 2 | Saves 15 (vs. all +2) | Speed 30' | React/Loyal +2 | Abilities | Combat
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Luciana would lead the way back down into the limestone caverns, as usual, but this time her typical zeal was missing.

"Did we not already sacrifice enough blood?" she barked. She looked away and winced as she realized what she was saying.

"I'm... I'm so sorry. Their deaths will haunt me to my grave, because I could not figure out the statue's puzzle quickly enough. If you think we have a chance to solve it, I will again lead the way, but there is no shame in avoiding an unwinnable fight. Lost equipment be damned, our lives are more important."

Zalven remembers som things from when he was learning sorcery about things called automations, sometimes referred to as golems or living statues. They can be made out of various materials including flesh, but this one is made of iron. They may remain quiescent for eons, only activating if certain criteria are met; or not met as Iodás and Magnus found out the hard way.

Are you moving the same route you took before, or trying a new way?

Posted (edited)

image.png.ad186125ade5307e6780767b35feae03.pngOnce again you make your way through the system of tunnels, retracing your steps, bypassing the collapsed chamber and the dries of "Help?" beyond.

You head back through the room with the dried blood splatters and walk through the rough tunnels that lead through a collapsed area which give way to large flagstone walls, floors and ceilings. The walls are 12 feet high, but the chamber arches to maybe 20 feet high in the middle.

To the right, you can see the original entrance is caved in and calcified over. There are crumbled steps and toppled Doric columns leading nowhere.

In the middle of the room stands a 12-foot iron statue atop a broad three-foot-high plinth of black marble. The statue depicts a sneering Hyperborean woman gripping a scythe in her left hand, with the blade resting upon her left shoulder. The statue's right hand reaches forwards, palm up, with fingers cupped together.

The statue's marble base is etched with Hyperborean Esoteric pictographs. Flecks of blood, some fresh some dried, stain her outstretched palm and spatter the flagstone floor below her hand.

It appears to have returned to its original position and is not reacting to your presence.

Two bloody smears, still shiny, can be seen glinting off your torchlight trailing though the northern door.