I'm not sure I ever need to buy another RPG campaign

I was thinking about my recent Kickstarter purchase for Gods of the Forbidden North, a truly massive OSR campaign.

Because I own quite a few campaign / megadungeons that are just unreasonably large. I could play any of them for multiple years. I'll list them in the format of title (system), with OSR being shorthand for B/X compatibility.

• Castle of the Silver Prince (AD&D)
  • Barrowmaze (OSR)
  • Dwarrowdeep (OSR)
  • Gods of the Forbidden North (OSR)
  • The Halls of Arden Vul (OSR)
  • Rappan Athuk (Swords and Wizardry)
  • The Umbrage Saga (Castles and Crusades)

I also have quite a few Pathfinder 1E Adventure Paths that I never got a chance to play all the way through:

• Rise of the Runelords
  • Curse of the Crimson Throne
  • Jade Regent
  • Carrion Crown
  • Iron Gods

And I won't even get started about the pile of shorter adventures, any one of which could take between 3 and 18 months to complete in PbP. I don't even know how many I have. If you include PDFs it might get into the hundreds.

I never need to buy another campaign! Isn't that great? Heck, I never need to buy another RPG system since I already have what I need to run all the above adventures.

I wonder how much money I'll save?

Actually, I already know the answer to that question, which is "none." I will save zero dollars. Because, friends, I have a problem with collecting RPG stuff.

Does anyone else share my affliction? We need a support group.

I've never had the money to spend on such things, but I absolutely went out of my way to collect all of WotC's free pre-made adventures for 3.5e. I have them collecting digital dust on my hard drive and have transferred them over with each new computer I buy (not that there's been many of those).

I own a good handful of modules and Adventure Paths, and as much as I would love to run them, I continue to find that I'm not good at running modules. Just never could figure out how to best make them sing, ya know? So I stick to homebrew stuff nowadays, although modules make for good resources of maps and encounters and the occasional plot idea.

I will, however, continue to burn money on RPG systems that I may not ever run...

Probably 3/4. Of the systems I have I have not, nor will ever play... Partly due to the fact that I cut my o n throat designing new systems that I will also never play. The good part of that is that my FtF group actually likes trying out my systems, so that is encouraging.

10 hours ago, cybersavant said:

i lost hundreds/thousands when the HD went, thinning out the print stuff due to space issues

That is the worst thing I've heard today, sorry that happened to you. I keep all my digital stuff on Dropbox to avoid that very problem.

There are some cheap external hard drives for around the same amount as a one-time cost. The small, "up to 80 GB" ones that is. I have a couple TB available on my external drive and I barely use any of it, but it's there if I need it.

Yeah... Guilty. I've bought dozens of books/pdfs I've never even opened...

On 4/5/2024 at 1:09 AM, cailano said:

I just checked, and even my ridiculous PDF collection only takes up 40GB.

Um...yeah... My 1 terabyte HD used mostly for pdfs, pictures and some music id's sitting at about 800+ gigs full. Many, many rpgs...

I think i have a problem.with passing up a deal.