Out of Character Chat

Powderhorn

26 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

Unrelated: I have a new inspiration for herbology, and I believe I may owe someone a plant?

i have legitimately no idea what this means

We had discussed brewing a long time ago. And natural medicines. I have a vague recollection of us discussing specific plants for brewing. But I don't recall any promises to exchange flora.

Speaking of period appropriate inspiration, my son just returned home from a deployment with the Military to the Mediterranean. He brought me a hand hammered skinning knife made on the island of Crete. I rather like it and I think it presents well for the technological era of this game (this is not at all about the fact that I always get super giddy when I get a new knife):

20240327_194303.jpg

Im enjoying the debate, I think it's fleshing out the characters but I feel like we aren't getting the group. So I thought moving to a vote might get more of us talking.

On 3/28/2024 at 11:48 AM, thesloth said:

Speaking of period appropriate inspiration, my son just returned home from a deployment with the Military to the Mediterranean. He brought me a hand hammered skinning knife made on the island of Crete. I rather like it and I think it presents well for the technological era of this game (this is not at all about the fact that I always get super giddy when I get a new knife):

20240327_194303.jpg

Crete is actually not that far from where I grew up. It has a rather unique culture-definitely more machismo than mainland Greece, and that's saying something. Beautiful place though!

Yeah, he sent me some photos of fortifications built in steep valleys. The inhabitants must have been pretty tough.

I like those rugged areas to hike through, but I'm glad wasn't living there.

37 minutes ago, thesloth said:

Yeah, he sent me some photos of fortifications built in steep valleys. The inhabitants must have been pretty tough.

I like those rugged areas to hike through, but I'm glad wasn't living there.

I guess you know already about the battle of Crete. That thing was messy...

I think Nikos Kazantzakis (who write Zorba) was from Crete. He's written some other stuff-not as famous internationally-for example about the civil war in Greece. Some of it's pretty bleak...

Yeah it was a major airborne assault against a collection of support units, that's a very bad match up for the support units. What I have read sounds like some of those units were able to mount delaying actions across the mountains which at least minimized the losses.

I will have to look up Kazantzakis. I was unaware that he wrote historical books. Would you say the Greek civil war was as grim as the Spanish civil war?

55 minutes ago, thesloth said:

I will have to look up Kazantzakis. I was unaware that he wrote historical books. Would you say the Greek civil war was as grim as the Spanish civil war?

He's most well known in the US for the movie adaptations of Zorba (starring Anthony Quinn) and the much more controversial The Last Temptation of Christ (a Scorsese film). I've watched them both; the latter is *not* light viewing, and the premise is... quite something. Be forewarned.

He was highly influenced by Nietzsche and many of his works deal with religious themes.

The Greek civil war did not last as long as the Spanish one, but it was brutal regardless-though probably it was lesser in scale than the Spanish one. Greece followed some very turbulent years after WW2 with civil war and military junta. Kazantzakis wrote a book translated as The Fratricides (it's one of his lesser known ones, and I do not know about the quality of the translations, having read it ages ago in Greek). The rather epic movie by Theodoros Angelopoulos called The Travelling Players gives an excellent overview of modern Greek history from the Asia Minor disaster (1922) through to WW2, the civil war and the junta (60s). It's a very slow, very long, arthouse-style (almost) movie with lots of confusing time-jumps; the kind of film you have to watch with Wikipedia open on a different tab.

That's probably more info than you asked for, and you may be regretting your question now, so I'll stop here :) There's also the peril of worldly talk with these recent history matters so-another reason to stop :)

An excellent summary sir, thank you. In America we tend to be so director focused that we tend to forget there was a writer who may or may not have been famous in his own right. The name Scorsese on a film can really crowd out the less well known.