Character Creation Q&A

coreal

Just now, coreal said:

You can go that route if you like. One story angle is that these are 'problem' kindred that a prince or clan elder in another city might want to foist off on this desperate sounding prince.

It happens in the meta-plot somewhere beyond where V4 is set to start and before V5. Personally I don't have anything to do with V5, so what's in that volume doesn't set any pins in the map in terms of where the meta-plot in this world will go.

Oh, well, I guess I should've waited in building my idea out then. I really wanted to try Lasombra, but I don't want to step on toes of other players, and I already got an idea for Brujah (which I've never played). I'm really hoping I can manage a good idea. I'm about 50/50 with making a good enough character in this system unfortunately. I would love your opinion before I get super far into building her out, so I can figure out whether to scrap the whole thing.

I am weak on meta-plot for Vampire, regardless of edition. I was just going off the wiki, but some of the info isn't exactly designated by which edition the lore happened in (or not).

23 minutes ago, Malkavian Grin said:

I would love your opinion before I get super far into building her out, so I can figure out whether to scrap the whole thing.

I'll be more than happy to give advice. I am much more interested in characters that are built to fit their background and story than characters that are mechanically optimized or tuned though, so be prepared for my advice to be towards the fun and interesting target of 'good enough' and not the mechanically strong target. 🙂

2 minutes ago, coreal said:

I'll be more than happy to give advice. I am much more interested in characters that are built to fit their background and story than characters that are mechanically optimized or tuned though, so be prepared for my advice to be towards the fun and interesting target of 'good enough' and not the mechanically strong target. 🙂

No, that's perfect! Honestly, mechanics come last for a WoD character. I always build out their personality and history first. (currently writing history)

I'm much more interested in whether you think she could even fit into a game like this, personality-wise.

At this point, I've got a rebel that's raging against the corporate machine and has a passion for music (which persists into undeath; perhaps made stronger through it). She won't be an activist, but she can be swayed by the emotion of a crowd and has been known to join riots against police. As for why this kind of character would join a Prince and the Camarilla, my initial thoughts are that she seeks to "keep my enemy closer" such that she can perhaps depose him or at the very least keep his general influence low. Not 100% sure on that, but that's what I've got at the moment.

24 minutes ago, Malkavian Grin said:

I'm much more interested in whether you think she could even fit into a game like this, personality-wise.

So far sounds like someone an observant elder would like to send elsewhere.

18 minutes ago, Gris said:

Which Paths are open? Are we all believers in humanity?

Given the length of embrace and Camarilla facing nature, humanity is the most likely path. I will consider other paths, but the fit will be more problematic and the rationale will need to be well justified.

So I did have a rough idea, but one I thought it would be best to check with our GM first before I put it down because it plays with a few game concepts a bit.

Short Version - "Johnny Match". A Malkavian who was a diagnosed pyromaniac mob arsonist when he was alive, possibly even embraced just to see what would happen with someone whose already has a derangement associated with a vampire weakness. Seems like worst case scenario it's a mess that will clean itself.

As a vampire "Johnny Match" is still a pyromaniac. This doesn't mean fire isn't a physical weakness for him, he'll still burn like anyone else with Sunlight or Fire, but this does seem to give him some degree of resistance to the mental aspects of Rötschreck. Maybe it's paranormal, his derangement actually cancelling out the instinctive fear of the burning flames. Or maybe everyone is overthinking it, maybe he's still afraid of the Fires like everyone else - the Fear just makes him Love the Dance of the Fire even more...

22 minutes ago, GleefulNihilism said:

As a vampire "Johnny Match" is still a pyromaniac. This doesn't mean fire isn't a physical weakness for him, he'll still burn like anyone else with Sunlight or Fire, but this does seem to give him some degree of resistance to the mental aspects of Rötschreck. Maybe it's paranormal, his derangement actually cancelling out the instinctive fear of the burning flames. Or maybe everyone is overthinking it, maybe he's still afraid of the Fires like everyone else - the Fear just makes him Love the Dance of the Fire even more...

This sounds like a narrowly defined version of the "Calm Heart" merit that adds two dice to resist frenzy. Or you could go with a very high courage with that as the underlying trait that makes him courageous, just being a slight bit crazy...

18 minutes ago, Gris said:

Am I allowed to combine two retainer dots into a better retainer?

I'll allow a 2 dot retainer, but not combinations greater than that. Jeeves, the perfect vampire valet/problem solver, will be coopted by an elder and kept back in the original city and not sent off to d... support you in Savannah.

Is a small fitness center too big for a 1-dot domain? I try to come up with a place that has more character than just a basement apartment - and I do not want to open yet another bar.

16 minutes ago, Gris said:

Is a small fitness center too big for a 1-dot domain? I try to come up with a place that has more character than just a basement apartment - and I do not want to open yet another bar.

Yes, something along the lines of a strip mall/small building 24-hour fitness place. Has maybe 2 of each weight machine, half dozen each bikes, stair masters, and treadmills. One small free weight area. One room big enough for a dozen people to do aerobics. Two small locker areas and an office (that doubles as the towel laundry and supply closet). The kind of place that during the busy times might have a staff of two, but normally just has one person there to buzz members in and cycle the towels.

24 minutes ago, coreal said:

This sounds like a narrowly defined version of the "Calm Heart" merit that adds two dice to resist frenzy. Or you could go with a very high courage with that as the underlying trait that makes him courageous, just being a slight bit crazy...

Heh. In my head, it’s not even that he doesn’t have a strong emotional reaction. It’s just not necessarily Panic. You want to handle it that way? “Matchstick Heart” 3 pts - Johnny gets +5 dice to resist Frenzy but only from Fire related stimulus. Or “Burning Love” 1 pt - If Johnny fails a roll to resist Frenzy from a Fire related stimulus he still has an extremely strong emotional reaction, just not necessarily flight-or-fight Panic.

Also would be completely fair to just go back to the drawing board. Pretty sure I could come up with something else if I have to. Lol.