Character Creation Q&A

coreal

4 minutes ago, Thot said:

Twenty-two apps already, no less... Choice is not going to be easy, but there will be plenty of options to pick from !

The best thing about a sandbox setting is that it has lots of room for characters to run around inside. I have at my disposal a small not well circulated supplement for the city (that is undergoing radical changes so that anyone that goes out and buys it will only have a source of rumors and potential plot traps to catch themselves in) and a binder of about 100 pages of background material created to support a Savannah based vampire game before that supplement was written.

In the end, I hope to be able to pull in quite a few characters as there will be multiple factions at play. And the number of 'everyone will be there' scenes will be quite small. This is not a coterie setting, and I won't be making efforts to push the PCs all into one big group working together. That is for new childer and neonates... these characters are moving into the alliances and networks stage of the vampire cycle, which I hope everyone will find interesting to play out.

23 minutes ago, TiffanyKorta said:

I assume with so many apps you want completely done and ready sheets?

For those that get pulled in on the first wave, yes.

However, anyone that has expressed interest and is still working on a concept or sheet will be welcome to continue after the deadline. As the game progresses, I will weave more characters into the story as they arrive in Savannah. I have more than one entanglement in my pocket to throw a few characters into that would delay their arrival and presentation to the Prince.

14 hours ago, coreal said:

This is not a coterie setting, and I won't be making efforts to push the PCs all into one big group working together. That is for new childer and neonates... these characters are moving into the alliances and networks stage of the vampire cycle, which I hope everyone will find interesting to play out.

Oh so the part you basically never get to play ❤️ Thats super exciting ngl

Another thing people can think about and add to their character threads...

I tend to track experience quietly and then let someone know when they've increased a dot in something. To assist in this process I like to know the what I'll consider the three targets of character growth:

1. What is being used in everyday activities that would improve over time? (example: Performing every night in between routines at my comedy club will improve Performance)

2. What is being actively trained in off camera down time. (example: Membership at Liberty Gun Range - Twice a week target practice to improve Firearms)

3. What is being sought out through other methods that isn't subject to regular use or training. (example: Seeking to learn the first dot of Obtenebration through whatever means possible.)

The first category could have several queued up to represent that there are a handful of activities that could be improved, and they'll advance in the order set unless one is clearly getting an extra workout in the course of play.

The second category really should have at most two defined

The third category is the aspirational one, you can have a couple here as well and will likely be mined for RP hooks. So fair warning.

Now that is interesting, and something I have never experienced before. I hope I will get picked and get to try it.

So for instance, for my character, you would expect something like :

1 - Every day activities : Technology > Occult > Law / Finance, as he works in his firm. Could it also be things like Discipline (Auspex) or Advantages (Resouces, Herd ?)

2 - Trained : Science / Chimerstry

3 - Sought : Temporis / Sadhana

Is that it, please ?

1 hour ago, Thot said:

Now that is interesting, and something I have never experienced before. I hope I will get picked and get to try it.

So for instance, for my character, you would expect something like :

1 - Every day activities : Technology > Occult > Law / Finance, as he works in his firm. Could it also be things like Discipline (Auspex) or Advantages (Resouces, Herd ?)

2 - Trained : Science / Chimerstry

3 - Sought : Temporis / Sadhana

Is that it, please ?

Halfway there. I would like a one liner on how each is being used in daily use, or trained. Like for Science: Taking a night classes at Savannah State in Organic Chemistry this semester and Coastal Oceanography next semester. Following up a name found in Gerard's journal about a practitioner of Sadhana seen in Charleston in the 1920s. Something like that.