Character Creation Q&A

coreal

3 hours ago, Lunermist said:

Do we have any information about the current political state of the city, (Ie. Primogens/Elders)

There has been little open news about the primogen/elders in the city, rumors that some of them were part of those that disappeared in the past year. The only elder that's been seen outside of the prince is the Tremere enforcer that works as his right hand. But the rumors are stale, as it seems the Prince has clamped down on communication as part of the damage control. There will be clan specific information on the state of things, but that's not for public consumption.

I am contemplating a Ravnos, but leaning on the intellectual side of it. Probably delving in Auspex and if I can sweet talk you, Temporis, as he tries to understand the whys of the world. He would be sent to Savannah by his Sire who wants to know of what happened, and also because it wants to kick him out of his books / contemplative mood. Or at least that's my thoughts at this hour...

Could that fly for your, please ?

19 minutes ago, Thot said:

Probably delving in Auspex and if I can sweet talk you, Temporis

Auspex you would be able to work into the background I suspect without too much trouble, perhaps even gaining the enmity of the clan that had a member suckered into teaching it to you... Temporis is going to be a pretty different matter entirely. My default position is going to be a 'no' on disciplines that are outside the Camarilla or clan to start.

9 minutes ago, TiffanyKorta said:

What are your thoughts on having a Indepentent and/or a bloodline vampire? Also the standard stuff how many players, what are the post expectations and what kinda tone are we to expect?

There can be some independent/bloodline vampires sneaking in, having heard of the invitation and trying to fake their way in, or they could just present themselves as temporary visitors and hope to ingratiate themselves. I'm not going to be keen on people trying to sneak into the city and from the start trying to hide from the powers that be and everyone else. It is a Camarilla city, but one that has had a reputation as being 'visiting kindred friendly' for many decades.

I'm going to be looking for 8-10 players, and given how often people drop PbP 1 week after characters are chosen, I will probably be willing to line up 'wave 2' of some characters that show up just a little late. This will be a sandbox, and my storytelling style and talents actually work better running 3-5 threads that cross over than keeping a band of 6 people moving in a single story thread.

As for post expectations, I am looking for 2 a week minimum. I will post more frequently to match participants of a thread, but I won't force any plot advancement on people that are moving at the minimum rate.

Tone: The core theme will be mysteries and the dangerous unknown as all the PCs will be in unfamiliar surrounds with a lot of new and difficult to read players. There will be a heavy seasoning of politics at play, as all the PCs are not so much fodder neophytes now, but legitimate pawns now with loyalties that can be bought, won, or coerced. There will be at least one individual sub plot introduced early on. And I have additional material set aside for the plot hungry. Because of the nature of MW, the personal horror will be kept to a middling amount and while there will be aspects of it, it won't be the primary theme.

22 minutes ago, TiffanyKorta said:

Quickly catching up here! Are all the 20th books allowed?

Provisional yes. I only hardcopy the core 20th books, and have pdfs of a few others. Have 'when I drop by on the weekend' access to a friend's half dozen more books (mostly the Hunted books). I do have nearly everything 1e/2e so I have a working knowledge, will just need some specifics on how the V20 versions of some things are worded/adjudicated.

1 hour ago, coreal said:

8-10 players [with] 'wave 2' of some characters

running 3-5 threads that cross over than keeping a band of 6 people moving in a single story thread.

This sounds excellent. A great way to run a bunch of PCs that probably don't all want to work together.

1 hour ago, coreal said:

2 a week minimum.

I can work with that, though I'll have to temper myself. I have way too much time on my hands these days.

1 hour ago, coreal said:

mysteries and the dangerous unknown [and] additional material set aside for the plot hungry. [and minor] horror themes

Sounds great (Oh, and, do your worst--I'm running Mörk Borg and can handle whatever you throw! 😸)

9 minutes ago, coreal said:

20th books

At least they are all on the cheaper end of book prices on places like DriveThruRPG. Clanbooks for $10 feels great and gives me better insight into the lore.

6 minutes ago, TiffanyKorta said:

I believe Lore of the Clans and Bloodlands updates the Clanbooks to V20, though obs the clanbooks have more fluff in them! And as usual nice to see some familiar faces!

I might have just tripped and watched some money fly out of my pocket. I didn't care. Sometimes being old beats being young and broke. Sometimes.

Fair warning, I'm entirely new to VtM. Quick question about the hooks - you say we're indebted to 2 clans/sects/secret societies. I'm struggling to find much official VtM information on secret societies and sects beyond the Big Three, and I kinda got the impression that the Camarilla and Shabbat are always at odds so it's a bit redundant to list them as an enemy

Are you happy/intending for us to make up our own secret societies (a la requiem), or is there a big list somewhere Ive missed?

If you're looking for a frame of reference, outside of the Camarilla and Sabbat there's really only 3... maybe 4 other big sects? The Anarchs (which some do lump in with the Camarilla but for convenience sake I personally consider separate), the Inconnu (Vampire Illuminati), the Tal'mahe'Ra (vampire death cult, assuming they haven't been wiped out in this game's canon) and the Ashirra (Islamic vampires whose territory covers Arabia and North Africa).

You've also got the Kuei-Jin, a vampire-like species who invaded the West Coast of the United States in the late 90's.

Outside of them you've also got organizations of monster hunters like the Society of Leopold and the Arcanum, and other supernaturals like Werewolves and Mages.

The White Wolf Wiki is a pretty good database for organizations and the like.

That's where I was working from. Just felt like a lot of those other vampire organizations would naturally be at odds with a Camarilla vampire, so specifically calling them out felt a little redundant. Wasn't sure if coreal intended to include other supernaturals, but that's a good idea