Character Creation Q&A

coreal

Thinking of getting a ghoul retainer, and story-wise wanted them to learn Vissistude as well to 2nd level, possibly 3rd.

According to Ghouls Fatal Addiction p71, there are two sets of rules and the GM chooses.

A) Maximum Discipline Level, where sponsor's generation needs to be 7th for a ghoul to have 2nd dot. (aka not possible, for us characters)

B) Optional Maximum Discipline Level, where sponsor's generation needs to be 10th-9th for a ghoul to have 2nd dot; or the sponsor needs to be 8th for 3rd dot.

I am hoping for B, what say the GM?

2 hours ago, TiffanyKorta said:

Quick question that I'm sure our Tremere will appreciate as well! What are the options for learning Rituals outside of the initial one?

For this you can buy 1 additional ritual per dot you have in necromancy/thaumaturgy over 1 (so 1 extra t 2 dots, 3 extra at 4 dots...) at 2exp per dot of the ritual. Yes, expensive, but this puts it at your direction and not the whim of what I insert into the story for you to find.

2 hours ago, bloodsprite said:

Thinking of getting a ghoul retainer, and story-wise wanted them to learn Vissistude as well to 2nd level, possibly 3rd.

According to Ghouls Fatal Addiction p71, there are two sets of rules and the GM chooses.

A) Maximum Discipline Level, where sponsor's generation needs to be 7th for a ghoul to have 2nd dot. (aka not possible, for us characters)

B) Optional Maximum Discipline Level, where sponsor's generation needs to be 10th-9th for a ghoul to have 2nd dot; or the sponsor needs to be 8th for 3rd dot.

I am hoping for B, what say the GM?

So I tend to prefer option B, as otherwise it makes ghouls of playable PCs very limited in the long run. However, I tend to lean towards ruling that it takes a long time for a ghoul to achieve these higher dots in the disciplines of their blood source. Such that at start of this game any PC would only have a ghoul with 1 dot in any discipline. Though it would be getting close to the point where they could get to 2 and could target that as a side story to pursue.

13 minutes ago, DoNotFearToTread said:

Quick question. Our timeline here is pre-curse breaking for the Assamites, right? Standard clan weakness and all?

Yes, the curse is still in effect for the Assamites.

13 minutes ago, Lunermist said:

so do we if say we have 4 (across all paths) dots start the game with 4 free rituals or do we have to spend the xp as part of character creation?

You get the first lvl 1 ritual free when you learn the initial dot of discipline/main path. Beyond that you'll have to pay xp to gain disciplines, but you're not restricted by what point you gained them, so at three dots you could learn two lvl 3 rituals, or two lvl 1... no requirement to match ritual lvl to dot lvls.

I am going to think about the cost and limit, just to make sure I'm not being overly parsimonious here, but I've always found rituals to be a distinct power multiplier that can make those two disciplines outclass all the others if they're not tempered a little bit.

With Vissistude, I want to make alterations to myself, moving my fangs into my pointer fingers, painting them with metallic nail polish, pointing my nails and painting them the same, and hiding pieces of my tongue and saliva glands in my middle fingers that I lengthened slightly. So I can cut and heal the bleeding wounds and give the kiss using my hands.

Sounds possible with Viss 3?

Is there a way to buy Merits or Backgrounds with XP, please ? If so, at what cost please ?

I have some Merits like Language or Backgrounds like Resources or Herd for instance.

Thank you very much.

2 hours ago, Thot said:

Is there a way to buy Merits or Backgrounds with XP, please ? If so, at what cost please ?

I have some Merits like Language or Backgrounds like Resources or Herd for instance.

Herd is limited by opening scenario to 1 dot max to start, can be raised via rp once the game starts up.

Languages: 2xp per language learned. Or 1xp per language if you buy the Linguist merit in initial points. (since that initial point is a lot more valuable than just some xp. But getting just 1 language (or 2) is pretty thin.)

Other backgrounds/merits, are a no with xp.

On 5/28/2023 at 1:20 PM, bloodsprite said:

With Vissistude, I want to make alterations to myself, moving my fangs into my pointer fingers, painting them with metallic nail polish, pointing my nails and painting them the same, and hiding pieces of my tongue and saliva glands in my middle fingers that I lengthened slightly. So I can cut and heal the bleeding wounds and give the kiss using my hands.

Sounds possible with Viss 3?

I think making a fang on the finger would be viss 3, bone... the saliva glands though move into inner workings/organs which is viss 5.

11 minutes ago, coreal said:

I think making a fang on the finger would be viss 3, bone... the saliva glands though move into inner workings/organs which is viss 5.

Ok Guess I will only do one finger, I assume I can sharpen the fang on the finger to use it like a scalpel; and be able to heal with no scar via a lick?

To do a full "kiss" and enrapture do I need more parts of the mouth, or would just a fang be enough?

I think my character is ready for a look over. I recall reading somewhere in this thread that you would be skeptical of odd disciplines, so if you want me to drop the point in daimoinon just let me know. I'm not married to it, just thought it would fit with general heaven and hell motif that the character is going for.