Year 2950: A Darkness in the Marshes

Vladim

spacer.pngAfter Gerold had said all that he knew about the Dwimmerhorn, Hartfast spoke no words for a good while. Instead, he allowed the companions to speak amongst themselves for as little or as long as they wished, and to make sense of this or that. When at last this had been done, he rose up, and prepared to depart, offering only a few words before leaving them.

"Well," he begun, "...you now know all, or at least as much of it as I and Gerold combined do. You are welcome to remain here for as long as you need, to recover from the weariness of your journey. If you are to set out again, seek me out: I will show you where you can resupply yourselves, so that you are ready for your next journey, wherever that may take you."

"I have only one more thing to ask." He looked at them all, but his eyes lingered on the elf, as he proceeded: "If you have a healer of some skill in your company, please come to my home to see Ardith, my grand-daughter. I hope and pray that she is making a recovery, though it is slower than I would have wished for. And though you do not have the wizard with you, every little bit can help, if you can spare the time."

OOC

This is the end of the Encounter. Mechanically, you achieved 4 successes, which means the following:

• You may all freely rest in Mountain-Hall for as many days as you wish. Every night of rest subtracts one from your Travel Fatigue. Strenuous activity during the night will mitigate this, though.
  • You can resupply at any time, essentially exchanging bits of your inventory for others as you wish. Note that Woodmen are a Frugal culture, so while they will give all that they can, you probably shouldn't expect expensive items like a full chain hauberk or the like.

As per the OOC and Discord, there's three main directions you can pursue:

• Ardith and her injury.
  • Fundor and the mines.
  • Magric and the Dwimmerhorn.

You are free to split up or stick together, as per your preference. I will post again once the details are determined.

Barin Greycloak
lhV7Mo1.png

As Hartfast effectively dismissed the party, Barin turned to his companions.

"Despite the Wizard wanting us to make haste to the Dwimmerhorn, I think we should first speak to this hunter of whom he spoke. Find out everything we can. In the meantime, I can go visit with Fundor and see if there's anything we can do about the goblins in the mine. Ha! knowing our fortune, there's likely to be some connection between the two." This last was accompanied by a toothy, grin.

Shouldering his pack once more, he stood and stepped away from the group. "If anyone wishes to accompany me then I would welcome them, but truth be told, Fundor may be more forthcoming if only I meet with him at first."

Gramtyng, son of Fastredspacer.png

Riders of Rohan | Standard of Living: MartialCallingTraits | AP: 1 | XP: 5 | DP: 0

Valour: 4 | Wisdom: 4 | End: 27/27 | Load: 15 | Fatigue: 2 [+1] | Hope: 12/14 | Shadow: 6 [0] | Parry: 6 | Weary: No | Miserable: No |Wound: No

Skills: Body 5 (8) | Heart 5 (7)| Wits 4 (5) | Weapons | War Gear | Equipment | Songs

"Unfortunately, the healing arts are a thing I've not any experience in." Gramtyng broke his silence and shook his head scornfully, then sighing. "...I dont think Fundor will listen to me, though we've journeyed together before. Barin is likely right, he will appreciate one of his kin's advice more than mine. But..." He glanced at the elder: "...I do know Magric, and we've travelled together before. Havent seen him since the Festival of the Moon at Stoneyford a few years back, though. I'll go find him and see what he says."

OOC/Actions/Rolls

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)

Dahr-Ol of the Beornings

spacer.png

"Hartfast, I am wounded to hear of your daughter's illness. I have no skill beyond the basic binding of a cut. But if none of the others have greater skill here I will try.

Barin, perhaps we should split up on the morrow. You and I to visit Fundor. The others to visit the hunter."

Edited by thesloth (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Chapter 2: The Harrowed Hall

Scene 10: In the watches of the night

Time: Early summer 2950 T.A. Fifteen days since the departure from Rhosgobel. Approaching midnight.

spacer.pngLate was the hour when again the company assembled, seeking the Great Hall of Firienseld, where fire ever burned in the heath. There, lodgings had been prepared for them, so that they could at last find some comfort and rest. But though they were weary from their long journey, sleep did not, perhaps, come easy to some of them. Many matters had made themselves apparent, and soon, if not now, would be a time of choices. Chief amongst them was this: to stay here in this hall and help Hartfast as best they could, or to set out towards the Gladden to pursue the wizard's mission?

As they came together one by one and exchanged all that they had learned, they considered these options. There were a few others in the hall, but they minded their own business, except for the Woodmen that were here to tend to the companions' requests, offering the hospitality that Hartfast had promised. Most notable amongst the newcomers was the dwarf, Fundor, who had come with Dahr-Ol and Barin and Cecil. His kin had elected to remain in the mine, working as hard as they could to plug the tunnels until a new strategy to deal with the goblins had been agreed upon.

For his part, the dwarf was glad to see Gramtyng, whom he still remembered, and tried to answer any questions to the best of his ability.

OOC

This is the point were we bring the company back together again, and PCs can exchange information and plan their next steps. Don't feel obliged to replay all of the exchanges that happened in the side-threads; a simple summary should be sufficient (e.g., 'and so Gramtyng explained to them that Magric did this and that or agreed to X Y Z'). You do not have to participate; if you prefer, your character can be sleeping or eating or elsewhere, and so on.

Ideally, we should come to some consensus about what the fellowship wants to do next, as a whole. Feel free to discuss IC here; I'll set us up with a poll as soon as the main options become apparent. I can also give associated mechanics for some tasks, if this is required, though I may not if such info would be meta knowledge. I may give some rough information that would make sense to have from an IC point of view, though.

Enjoy!

Dahr-Ol of the Beornings

spacer.png

Dahr-Ol laid out the daring plan for his companions. It would take work, and there would be risk. But he had fought the goblins in their holes before. He was certain this would buy the Mountain Home a reprieve for many years.

"Annungil and I learned much about them, during that rescue. Such a defeat would scatter them for a decade, I am sure of it."

Riders of Rohan | Standard of Living: MartialCallingTraits | AP: 1 | XP: 5 | DP: 0

Valour: 4 | Wisdom: 4 | End: 27/27 | Load: 15 | Fatigue: 2 [+1] | Hope: 12/14 | Shadow: 6 [0] | Parry: 6 | Weary: No | Miserable: No |Wound: No

Skills: Body 5 (8) | Heart 5 (7)| Wits 4 (5) | Weapons | War Gear | Equipment | Songs

Gramtyng's mood did not improve when he met with the others, though there was a trace of a smile on his face when he'd greeted Fundor. At the Beorning's words, his face harshened. "Found our guide. Magric has agreed to accompany me, if I go to where were asked to. He aint all that happy to do it, though." The bard folded his hands and shook his head. "He thinks the expedition is insanity. As for Dahr-Ol's plan... I am against it. We were given a job, an urgent one - and we have to do it. There is nobody else. There are plenty who can kill goblins, and even then, though it hurts to say, I'd place priority to the orders we received. Even if they did not come from someone whose wisdom is beyond question, we were asked by him first. Putting it aside because we think something else is more urgent is arrogance. If you really want to help them with goblins... Then lets seal the mine, do our job, then return and deal with them permanently."

OOC/Actions/Rolls

Barin Greycloak
lhV7Mo1.png

Barin let out a sigh.

"You are correct, Gramtying." he said, barely above a whisper. "But I don't see many around here that are capable of routing the goblins if we leave them free to roam the mine. The folks hereabouts are hunters and tradespeople, not fighters used to going up against hordes. It would be a slaughter."

Looking squarely at Fundor he added, "Perhaps sealing the mine whilst we set out to do what we were tasked to do could be the answer, then once we are done we could return and cleanse it?" he raised his eyebrows at Fundor to see what his kinsman thought of the idea, "But even so, there is still the chance that the goblins could dig through and lay waste the settlement whilst we are gone."

"The other option would be to simply take the fight directly to the goblin chief in his home cavern, wherever that may be, but yet again - I would fear a slaughter. And the menfolk would be of little help as they would be fighting in darkness. No offence," he said glancing around his human companions, "but your kind haven't been blessed with eyes that work in the dark."

"Call it arrogance. Call it hubris. But I believe we should remain here to offer what aid we can to the folks here before we leave to go to ... well, the other place. I'll not say the name under this roof."

"I would call it folly, at best, Barin... Oathbreaking at worst." The bard did not relax his gaze. "This small group can challenge the entirely of goblin force, which we do not know the size of, under this place, with only two dwarves who see in the dark, while the entirety of Mountain Hall warriors cannot? That is arrogance. Would Idunn be here, she would have better words than I, for it. But..." He shut his eyes with some effort. "I owe Hartfast more than I can repay him. Ever. Regardless if it will or will not tip the scales, I will help with the goblins - but not before I am done the task set before us originally. You know who set us on this task. Do you believe he didnt know about Mountain Hall's struggles? One to whom all animals across Wilderland carry news? He knew - and he considered the fields of Gladden more important." The rohirrim shook his head with more sorrow than anger. "...Stay, or delay, as you wish. If I must go with only Magric, I will. Do what you feel you must do, and I will do what I must do."

OOC/Actions/Rolls

Cecil Brandyuck

Cecil shifted into a more comfortable position with Gramtyng's protests and quickly trailed him. “The way I see it, this has been their fight for a long time and they seem to be holding out just fine… I see no reason to get involved somewhere we don’t belong.” He sidewinded a twirl of smoke.

“Is it not possible to negotiate with these poor creatures?  Why are they down there? Food? Gems? Can arrangements not be made? You talk about them like they’re rats. I’ve heard they can speak. Can they not also listen? If they cannot be reasoned with, I still think we should leave. It would take weeks to channel water to the mineshafts. If you think otherwise, you’ve never dug a line of irrigation! It would be hard labor and take many men. All the while, they would be watching…” He leaned back and thunked his blocky feet on the table.

“Besides, the Woodsman would do well to wait until the Spring, when the river swells.”

Dahr-Ol of the Beornings

spacer.png

Dahr-Ol chewed on his lip. There were many serious matters before them. And he had faced such a decision before. It was not a pleasant memory.

"Cecil you are kind to try and find some good in the goblins. But it is misplaced, I have spent time among those who hold to the shadow. The goblins are not like men, who may be fair our foul. I do not confess to understand their nature. I can say only that our enemy has never been given cause to fear their loyalty. Their courage in battle is lacking. They are ill tempered and insolent, even among their own. But never to my knowledge have they given any consideration to aiding those not under the shadow's sway.

Fundor, Gramtyng speaks truly. We do indeed have a duty laid upon us. Gramtyng, does Magric have any idea how long our journey will take? Perhaps if I and others help seal the mine tonight it will hold for a few weeks. It would give me and those others as are willing time to do our duty to the wizard and then return to implement our other plan."

The bard listened silently to what Cecil and Dahr-Ol had to say. The perspective of the holbytla was a strange thing - on one hand he wished to be angry that someone would negotiate with goblins - on the other, he felt thankful that such innocence even still existed. Maybe the world wasnt quite as dark after all. "...Dahr-Ol is right." He offered, restraining cruel words that his mouth wished to spew; at least once in a while, he'd not act his namesake. "Goblins, orcs, creatures of shadow such as wargs, and giant spiders... You cannot truly negotiate with them, Cecil. Most intelligent beings, even less intelligent ones such as animals - they all want similar things. Warmth, shelter, security, food..." The bard turned his head and stared at the flames rising in the hearth. "...Not goblins. Their will is chaos and evil. They delight in cruelty to others first, and then to each other. Most of all, they fear their masters, who chase them onward to kill us. I know its hard for you to consider such evil even exists but... Think of them as a rapid dog. You cannot negotiate with it. They can speak, true, but so what? So can spiders, and wargs, wights and trolls... No. There cant be any negotiation other than a blade, with them." Gramtyng paused, and tore his gaze from the fire, turning to Dahr-Ol. "A week, he said. Give or take; but if the mists rise, it is easy to get lost, so it may be more. I know you wish to help them; and I do as well. But I think sealing the mine for now would give them some breathing room. We dont know what is at Gladden - none of us, and not the one who sends us. It could be worse than just 'orcs', but even if it is simply an orc fortress - it would do Mountain Hall good to know where they plan to strike."

OOC/Actions/Rolls

spacer.pngElfwyn, the fair-faced, red-haired warrior-woman that had briefly introduced herself as one of Beorn's folk when Cecil had first spoken to her, had been seated by Dahr-Ol. She had been quiet, content to leave the talking to others, and to keep her thoughts a secret. But when the hobbit spoke of reasoning with the goblins, she broke her silence, adding her views to those of others so that she could be heard.

"You have not told him the full tale yet?" she said at first, facing towards Dahr-Ol. "Of how you and Annugil rescued Dindy from the goblins in their mountain-tunnels a few years ago?"

She turned to the table and smiled grimly, and at length her eyes stopped on Cecil, and remained there. "Those poor creatures wanted to eat your kinsman, and they would have managed it too, had not Dahr-Ol and his companion interfered. The clansmen in the Black Hills count them as their friends and allies, yes, but these are evil hill-folk who once served the sorcerer-king of Angmar."

She stopped short of admitting that she and Dahr-Ol had once been one of those clans-folk.

She turned to the others and spoke on, and now the smile was gone.

"Tell him what happened to the Easterly Inn. Tell him what happened to Dindy and Dody and the rest of the Brandybucks. He might reconsider his counsel when he hears those evil tidings."

OOC

I think that it is reasonable to assume that, upon their return to the lands of the Beornings (after Sentinel), at least some of the companions heard of the Easterly Inn's destruction (and the death of all the Brandybucks at the hands of Mirkwood-goblins).

Despite Elfwyn's clear views, don't take this as me discouraging a more diplomatic approach. Of course, you are free to attempt it (and any other plan).

Dahr-Ol of the Beornings

spacer.png

Dahr-Ol squared himself to face Cecil.

"Annungil and I spent two weeks trekking the misty mountains, following bits of hobbit food, scraps of cloth, the muddy trampling of orc sign looking for your kin. Fundor was of great help to us, he explained how to find the entrance to the goblin hole. And what we might expect. Waiting for the broad light of day, when goblins are least attentive to the outer world for the bright sunlight hurts their eyes, we struck their sentries. We continued through their gate, ambushing the lone wanderers and letting larger patrols bypass us. We descended downwards. Keeping to the rock ledges and skulking behind boulders until we found the main hall. It served as jail, kitchen, and court for their ilk. The goblins need fire to cook and forge as all living things, but they fear it as well. We used that against them.

Dindy had been ill used by them for sport, but he was not seriously maimed. They seemed to be saving him. A squabble had erupted between two goblins over something to do with his fate and the rest were waiting in anticipation of the fight that was brewing. It is how many of their quarrels are settled, I would guess. The survivor gets to give the orders.

Annungil kept the two leaders covered with his bow, while I moved along the edge close as I could to Dindy. When the fight seemed almost to erupt we acted, Annungil put an arrow through the heart of the biggest of the two. Shock and panic held the moment. I tipped the cauldron over, scattering burning embers across the room. As it filled with smoke I opened Dindy's cage. The goblins panicked, most fled. Two tried to fight. We escaped back up the tunnels staying behind the panicked goblins, and killing those who turned and realized we were there.

When we gained the surface the goblin horde now thinned halted, hating the light as much as the smoke. I smashed through them, scattering the biggest warriors while Annungil pulled Dindy out into the sunlight. Some few sought to pursue us, we made short work of them and planted their heads within view of their people. We returned to Beorn without further problem.

Dindy and Dody were respected inn keepers and many a traveler was saved from the elements, resting at their inn. Until a goblin horde descended upon the inn while we and other Beornings who might normally have been nearby were busy with other matters.

Those who went to his aid were too slow, had to come from too far. As I heard it the ruin was complete. Not a section of the inn still stood that was three stones tall. I do not believe these came from the same hole Annungil and I entered. These were warg riders, and we saw no sign of such beasts in that hole. They did not obliterate the inn out of vengeance. Only because it existed.

The goblins in this mine have probably never heard the names Dindy or Dody. But they will do to Mountain Home what their kin in the Gladden will do to us all. Simply because we exist.

Fundor. Hartfast. The more I think on these things the more I agree with Gramtyng. Despite my enthusiasm for taking the fight to the orcs in the mine. Seal the mine fast. Prepare the troughs to carry water to the mine. But we must scout the Gladden. It occurs to me as I speak of this, that for warg riders a trip from the Gladden to where the Easterly Inn sat would not be so far. Perhaps, we have been looking in the wrong place all these years for Dindy and Dody's killers. If that is true, Mountain Home faces a more perilous foe yet."