Year 2950: A Darkness in the Marshes

Vladim

Cecil Brandybuck

Beranald

"How is the wizard these days? Does he bear any messages for us?"

“The old man, sir? He’s like spoiled milk: Sour, white, and bein’ left outside for too long. And yet he is kind in his own way. A message does come, but I will not say a word before meal! We’ve seen nothing but snakes, skunks, and squirrels since yesterday.” 

In the Long House...

As Gramtyng spoke of their shared company, Cecil's hand quivered slightly and a flash of torment bent his eyes away from his companions. He gripped hard on his pipe.

“Sir, I am Cecil Brandybuck of the Shire. Might I say, your hospitality is matched only in quality by Gramtyng’s description of it. Your people have done marvelous things to this small crack in the mountain. Just marvelous! This house rivals any that I have seen.  We have been vested with the wizard’s council. I hope for all of our sakes that it will come to some use.”

Edited by Modest_Proposal (see edit history)
Name
Insight
[10] (1) = 11
tor(1,no) 10,1

Dahr-Ol of the Beornings

spacer.png

Dahr-Ol watched silently for a long moment. Hartfast was known to him by reputation only. Merovech the Mighty had oft spoken of Hartfast, but such stories were not the same as meeting the man. At length he introduced himself. "Dahr-Ol, raised in Stonyford. I am the son of Throl, whom Beorn graciously accepted into his people nigh on ten winters ago. Radagast is well. He is concerned at the tidings brought to him of late. Though I do not believe he was aware of your own troubles here. He bid us seek you out for council. The rangers have brought him ill news from the mountains, and the Shadow stirs in Mirkwood if I am not mistaken. Our charge is to seek the Dwimmerhorn. Radagast believes it is reappearing in the fields and plays some role in all of this. He said you might be able to aid us in locating it.

Your door wardens mentioned ill tidings of your own. If my companions agree, I would lend you what aid we can. Merovech was thane of Stonyford and his wife was kind to my family when we first we moved there. He respected you greatly, and I would honor that respect."

Name
Insight check
[4] (5,5,4) = 18
tor(3,no) 4,5,5,4

spacer.png
Lachiel found herself feeling uncomfortable as the group sat at the table. The formality of it all impressed upon her a sensation that she didn't belong. She preferred to be surrounded by nature, not bottled up inside of halls. She did not follow suit with her weapon as Barin did, as it wouldn't befit her vocation to be without.

"Lachiel, of Esgaroth," was all she offered, stamping the butt of her spear down once.

Would that I could take my meal and eat with Icewater for company... she thought to herself.
Name
Insight
[1] (2,3) = 6
tor(2,no) 1,2,3

spacer.pngHartfast nodded along as some of the companions introduced themselves, speaking their names over their meals. To Cecil's kind words he spoke little, save to acknowledge the compliments-yet he seemed not the sort to be swayed much by them, given his laconic manner. Indeed, he seemed a practical man above all else; it was Dahr-Ol's inquiries that got the greater response.

"Aye, there's something afoot down South, in the Gladden Fields. There's always trouble in those parts, around the Dwimmerhorn. I pay it little heed; I've worries closer to home."

He paused for a while and fell silent, as if reluctant to discuss the matter more openly with strangers-or perhaps unwilling to burden them with unwelcome tidings while they still suppered. At length he turned again to Barin, seeking to change the matter discussed.

"I do not know if you know this, but some of your kin have found hearth and home in my hall, not so long ago." He turned to Gramtyng and Ingi, and spoke on: "Fundor, son of Thrar, whom you know already, as he has journeyed with you. He has brought with him a few others as well."

OOC

Encounter tracking:

Social skill successes: 0

Current Tolerance: 0/???

@thesloth that's a success with Insight for one bonus die; the others are failures, I am afraid. If you want to get the most out of this scene, I suggest pairing some of the RP with some social skill rolls.

Dahr-Ol of the Beornings

spacer.png

"You are master of this hall Hartfast and if you do not wish our help with your troubles I will not press the issue. But the Dwimmerhorn is a different matter. We will be crossing those mist filled marshes with or without your help. With your help we stand a better chance of surviving. Radagast is no fool. Neither are you. He sent us to you by name. He, like Merovech before his passing, respects your wisdom.

As I told your door wardens, we ask for no warriors and we will carry nothing from your storehouses. If you ask it, I would spend three days in the hills hunting enough game to replace what we eat. But a little knowledge of the road ahead could save our lives.

What do you know or suspect of the Dwimmerhorn?"

Edited by thesloth (see edit history)
Name
persuade check using the bonus die from insight
[8] (2,4) = 14
tor(2,no) 8,2,4

Barin Greycloak
lhV7Mo1.png

At Hartfast's mention of Barin's kin, the Dwarf bobbed his head in thanks. "I thank you for these tidings Master Hartfast. It gladdens me that my kin may still be found settled in these mountains, and this far South too for 'tis the natural home for a good Dwarf. Seek them out I shall, and gladly so, once our conversation here is done.

"I cannot fail to notice however, you mentioned troubles closer to home, and seem somewhat on edge. Your guardsmen too greeted us initially with some wariness bordering upon hostility. Pray tell us, what troubles you here. I sense your reluctance and understand that you may be wary to lay your troubles at our feet, but perhaps an outsider's eyes may unveil matters that your own have overlooked, and whilst we avail ourselves of your hospitality and wisdom, it would be remiss of us to not offer our council, and our swords if necessary, in return."

He squared the leader with steady gaze, almost willing him to divulge more.

OOC

Going to go for a persuasion roll here to try and convince Hartfast to open up ... and, bugger. Couldn't be much more of a crap roll if I tried.

Name
Persuasion roll
[1] (4,4) = 9
tor(2,no) 1,4,4

spacer.png"You misunderstand me, Dahr-Ol son of Throl, and master..."

He turned towards Barin and inspected him for a while, but that did not help him recall his name, for Barin had not yet given it.

"...master dwarf. If you or your friends can give aid here, then I welcome it, even though I have little to return for reward. As for the Dwimmerhorn... I will speak what I know in time, but our elders may know more."

He rose from the sitting-bench and approached the cook, and bid her to summon someone, before soon returning to the company.

"Let me speak of our troubles first, for I know them far better. Goblins. They dig in search of our mineshafts and tunnels. They want to find a secret way in to my hall. We’ve killed many on the surface, but we have also paid the price. And they are more dangerous down there in the dark."

OOC

I don't think Barin has spoken his name yet, but if I am wrong I can edit.

Dahr-Ol's successful Persuade check is sufficient, so Hartfast is willing to accept help, though I will also increase Tolerance by 1 for Barin's failed Persuade check. Perhaps the associated fluff is Hartfast's mild annoyance that Barin hasn't introduced himself properly yet?

Social skill successes: 1

Current Tolerance: 1/???

Now, any dwarf in the company can suggest strategies for dealing with underground combat with a successful Battle or Craft check (TN 14).

Gramtyng, son of Fastredspacer.png

Riders of Rohan | Standard of Living: MartialCallingTraits | AP: 1 | XP: 5 | DP: 0

Valour: 4 | Wisdom: 4 | End: 27/27 | Load: 15 | Fatigue: 2 [+1] | Hope: 12/14 | Shadow: 6 [0] | Parry: 6 | Weary: No | Miserable: No |Wound: No

Skills: Body 5 (8) | Heart 5 (7)| Wits 4 (5) | Weapons | War Gear | Equipment | Songs

"Well? Your friends they may be, but I do not know their names, save the Lake-Man's. Will you not give them?" he said to the company, his eyes eventually settling on Gramtyng. "Unless the cat's got their tongues-in which case, southerner, it falls on you to introduce them."

"Cat? No... Maybe more like a boar." The bard nodded at his soup and smiled at the old man, not minding the gruff demeanor. Even if he was in a poor mood, he knew this was a good and honest man, who was part of the reason he'd still been alive. More of a father figure than his own was. He gave a joking shrug: "Seems like my words were unneeded; but as for master dwarf, he is Barin Greycloak of the Lonely Mountain. I believe he oft carries the word of King Dain." He grew a bit more serious and put down his spoon. "Goblins, huh..." He murmured, glancing at Barin. "I am no great expert at tunnel warfare. Maybe they could be flooded by a river redirection? Though... Goblins may be here because of the very reason we were sent. The Eagles have told Radagast of a new fortress in the moors of Gladden... But it can only be the accursed Dwimmerhorn. Could be their staging point."

OOC/Actions/Rolls

Name
Courtesy(+1/3 Bonus Dice. 2 left)
[10] () = 10
tor(0,no) 10
Whoops. Forgot the 3 dice. Ignore d12 here
[6] (1,2,1) = 10
tor(3,no) 6,1,2,1
Total of 14, Normal Success

spacer.png"Maybe. But this is not the first time we've had such troubles with goblins. As for flooding..."

Here Hartfast shook his head. "Too difficult. Too dangerous, too. There must be a better way."

He paused to look at Barin, whose words and counsel he would most value in this, before he explained further.

"They are coming from that accursed mine-Cilderic's. That one always brought us trouble, though it has proven rich in ore. When I gave it over to Fundor and his kin, I had hoped that they would deal with it better. And for a while they did. But that is no longer so.

Two nights ago the goblins crept out. They attacked in the dark-a small band that we were able to drive off quickly. But they injured a few. They almost killed Ardith, my grand-daughter... grievously wounded her."

A darkness came over him, casting its shadow like a black cloud.

"I would seal that mine, but Fundor has proven obstinate. He is holed up there, and will refuse to come out. Perhaps you can talk some sense into him. He may trust you better than myself."

OOC

Social skill successes: 2

Cecil Brandybuck

Cecil had dreamt last night of Gladden Fields. It was a soft dream, without weight or texture. He floated in mist, seeing shapes at the edge of a river. Terrible and cheerful it was while he listened for familiar sounds.

His journey would not be over until he returned there. And it appeared he would have to wait.

“Can goblins not be reasoned with?” Cecil asked before immediately regretting it. He wanted to shout that he shouldn’t even be here. With each utterance, it became more obvious. Instead, he muttered, twisting his palm uncomfortably into his chair, “This is all really too much…”

He felt the eyes of his companions pressing on him and in that moment, he could not but remember their stalwartness and how little they asked of him.

“Master Hartfast. I traveled by the request of Radagast and that I have done. But I am not a soldier. My stick I use for walking and my bow for hunting. I do not hunt goblins - I've never even see a goblin... I would be of no use in a fight. But I can climb and I am patient. I would not fight them even if you asked me to. But I can help in other ways."

Edited by Modest_Proposal (see edit history)

Barin Greycloak
lhV7Mo1.png

"I shall go speak with Fundor. There may be some reason why he and his people are struggling to contain this menace. As for how to combat it, I agree that flooding would be both difficult and extreme - you'd lose the mine along with potentially anything else that it feeds into. Plus, your watercourse is not enough to flood it in quick enough time.

"No, you need something quick - perhaps we could collapse some tunnels strategically to close off the areas where these goblins get in. If you have maps of the tunnels, these would help immensely."

Barin paused, tapping a fingernail against his teeth.

"I will think further on this. There may be other ways we can relieve you of these creatures."

OOC

So, Barin will consider the goblin menace and think further on strategies for combating them.

Not that it's needed, but Craft is a favoured skill [forgot to flag it], so those two 5's are counted as 6's, so that's also a second pip in vocation.

Name
Craft check for mining strategy
[9] (2,5,5) = 21
tor(3,no) 9,2,5,5

spacer.pngHartfast turned his white-crowned head towards Barin, and he listened carefully as the dwarf spoke, his attention fully diverted from what Cecil had said just moments prior.

"Aye, that you should. I agree with you, and I have told him many times that he must collapse the old tunnel, or at least parts of it. He will not listen to me, but perhaps you'll stand a better chance, being his kin and all. At least, that is the hope."

He paused for a moment to turn towards the entrance and look: someone had come, an old man with a grey beard and small eyes, who was now approaching. Gramtyng and Ingi recognised him as one of the elders of Mountain-Hall.

Hartfast continued.

"As for maps... we have them, yes: go ask Leofric, and he will help you, and if he doesn't then tell him I said that he should. Fundor may have better ones, that include the new tunnels, but he's unlikely to part with them. Unless you can convince him."

spacer.pngPresently the stranger approached, and so Hartfast introduced him to those who did not know him.

"This is Gerold, one of our finest hunters in Mountain-Hall."

The stranger laughed at this.

"That was a long time ago, my friend." he commented with a smile, before turning to the company. "But if it is tales of the Dwimmerhorn that you want, then perhaps I can prove of some small use."

OOC

@Suzuki Stumpy I had to look at the old Sentinel threads but I think the mechanic you mentioned comes from there:

4 - Skill Expertise. Randomly determine one of the character's Favored Skills. It costs 2 Destiny Points to re-roll this. From now on, whenever you score a Basic Success, check the Success dice (d6s). If one or more show a result of 5, upgrade to a Great Success. Note: This does not work in combination to any Virtue or Ability that upgrades Quality of Success. Re-roll the Favored Skill at no Destiny Point cost if this happens.

So, that roll was upgraded to a Great Success. I'll update the mechanics accordingly.

Social skill successes: 4

I'm still in the road, but here's a little something to keep the scene moving.

Cecil Brandybuck

Cecil thought carefully about what he was willing to commit. He could sense the ease, bordering on excitement, in Barin’s voice as he suggested flooding the tunnels. It seemed clear to Cecil this was not the first time the dwarf had thought about such exploits.

“Well, sir, what can I do? I’m patient and I can follow tracks. Never goblin tracks, of course, but I know how to keep still. One catch, I held up for two days in a tree without eating and that’s no lie! Except for a few carrots.” He paused. “A lot of folks aren't kind to Hobbits - and so we have a habit of getting ourselves lost."

He noticed the old man approaching.

"I’ve been told goblins think like hungry dogs. I've hunted with hungry dogs; I know how they think.”

spacer.pngUpon hearing the hobbit's words, both Hartfast and Gerold turned to listen, but it was the newcomer that gave the reply, without any objection from the chieftain. He gave the little one a kind and grandfatherly smile, and spoke his mind plainly.

"Well, young master... These are handy skills indeed, and down in those tunnels one of small stature that can slither and sneak as well as those accursed goblins would be of great use... Though be it not to me or elder Hartfast here to place you into peril. That is a choice that only you can make, though old Hartfast has been known to reward those who prove of worth and value."

The old man smiled again as he turned to Hartfast, almost teasingly, yet Hartfast himself remained stern, and he did not respond in kind.

OOC

Social skill successes: 4