Year 2950: A Darkness in the Marshes

Vladim

Dahr-Ol was silent as he caught the first glimpse of the valley that must be Firienseld. The Woodmen had found a true natural fortress within the mountains. It was beautiful and foreboding in its own way. He let his gaze drift to the tops of the cliffs. Even his former people would have found those descents daunting. This was a good place, and the Woodmen were wise to keep it secret. Facing the guardians of this place Dahr-Ol decided to invoke the name of Radagast, surely the wizard's reputation was respected here.

"I am Dahr-Ol of the Beornings, raised in the village of Stonyford. I and my companions were charged by Radagast to seek The council of Hartfast."

Name
Awe check to invoke Rhadagast's reputation
[10] (4,5,6) = 25
tor(3,no) 10,4,5,6

Barin Greycloak
lhV7Mo1.png

Stepping up alongside the Beorning, Barin leant casually on his axe. "As the big man says, we've come from the Brown Wizard, so how about you boys put those pig-stickers away and tell a Dwarf where he can get an ale around here. We've been climbing, rowing and walking for a fortnight and I at least could do with some decent food and drink."

Stretching, he added, "And a hot bath. Definitely need a hot bath."

Name
Courtesy roll (although Barin's idea of courtesy is a little off here)
[3] (6,6) = 15
tor(2,no) 3,6,6

spacer.png
The river was indeed singing and Lachiel took pause as the group approached the bridge to kneel at its edge. Cold as it was this high in the mountains, she pulled her glove free and dipped her fingers into the running water.

In Elvish, she spoke low, "Tell me your name." She waited a moment, listening for something. "Icewater? I am Lachiel. I ask only what you have seen in recent memory? Does peace reign here, or has the Shadow left its mark?"

Leaving the river after her conversation, Lachiel stayed quiet as the company began to hail the guards and explain the need for passage. The Elf was curious about these new folk. She observed their mannerisms and tone of voice to pick up subtle hints others might discard.
Name
Insight: Speak to the river
[8] (2,4) = 14
tor(2,no) 8,2,4
Insight: Read the guards
[8] (6,5) = 19
tor(2,no) 8,6,5

spacer.pngUpon the mentioning of the wizard's name, the guards stopped, and they turned to their leader, who remained on the opposite end of the bridge, observing and listening. From the distance, he still had recognised neither Gramtyng nor Ingi.

"The Brown Wizard himself sends you?" he asked, more amazed than distrustful. "Does he send aid or counsel then? What tidings do you carry?"

He paused for a moment before he spoke again, and this time his tone had less urgency to it.

"I will take you to Hartfast, if that is your wish. I am Beranald, door-warden of Firienseld, and these are my kinsmen, Brermód and Aldraeg."

He turned towards the dwarf, and spoke again: "You shall have the hospitality of the hall, master Longbeard. Do you wish to see your kin? Grim is the hour of your coming, I fear."

As Beranald spoke on, the guards relaxed their stance, and allow them to approach.

Meanwhile, Lachiel had turned her attention elsewhere, and sought to connect to the singing waters of the river. Focusing on the music, she listened to what the waters spoke of.

Icewater sang of the dark heart of the mountains: of his source, in darkened halls, in places where light never entered, and where only his waters ventured. Of his delvings and journeys as he followed subterranean paths more ancient than Man had ever carved, or slowly dug new ones over the ages. But it spoke also of other things in the mountains: younger things that went on two legs, and that dug with sharpened iron and hearts filled with greed or malice.

Turning away from the waters, she looked to the guards again. The river had spoken no lies: truly, they seemed on edge, and looked weary, as if they had not slept well in recent days.

Evil things must have been stirring beneath their feet.

Dahr-Ol looked the men over, Beranald seemed on edge. He had clearly been hoping Radagast had sent aid or counsel. This seemed an ill omen.

"Glad we will be to speak with Hartfast. We bear ill news, and seek his advice. We are charged with a task for the wizard, but fear not, we do not ask for men or supplies. Only knowledge."

Cecil Brandybuck
Barin

"I'll let you in on a secret though. There's no magic involved in those little toy soldiers. Just fine craftsmanship. If you were to open one of them up, you'd find it full of tiny springs and cogwheels. A machine of beautiful precision."

"So, tell me something of your home Master Brandybuck. You have travelled far to come East of the mountains. We see few of your kind here. Even fewer past the forest towards the lake."

Come to think of it, Cecil had not put much thought into why the toys moved or chirped. It was almost against the spirit of it all. They were wondrous.

“Of the Shire?” Cecil smiled. “There is nothing much to it. A few grassy mounds between all things. Overhills and underhills. A small river that runs wide and away. I'd say it looked about the same before we found it and will look no different when we leave, except where chickens and cows are concerned.” He cleared his throat and crossed his legs over a long, flat stone.

“Underneath the Hills of Green

There is a hair-foot in-between

The apple grove and roots and breeze

Whose beard has dropped below his knees

He smokes his pipe and tops his brim

And as he does, his hole smokes him

Above his head, his cows have fled

But why drink milk with wine and bread?

His garden grows outside his door

Where tots do sneak while he does snore

To take their fill in sac and hand

Before he has the sense to stand!”

————

At the threshold of the mountains:

Cecil let the Men speak, looking away as they approached with spears. He drifted left toward the clearing. The river would do in a pinch. But the river was frigid and rocky. And the road back was more open than a cornfield after harvest. 

Thankfully, the tension subsided. He could see that the men here were different, in a way, from the men near Rhosgobel. They seemed harsher and slower to trust - perhaps from mountain living. 

“Why yes, my dear, the Brown Wizard himself! We travel from Rhosgobel across many miles to meet with you.”

——

Edited by Modest_Proposal (see edit history)

Barin Greycloak
lhV7Mo1.png

"... Do you wish to see your kin? Grim is the hour of your coming, I fear."

Barin raised an eyebrow at this, for he was unaware that any of his kin were staying this far to the West - certainly not in this enclave of menfolk.

"Ach, that would be wonderful. It has been many moons since I last spoke or drank with mine own. Indeed, I was unaware that my kinfolk were staying here. Or, is this merely a chance encounter and they are simply travelling through? No matter."

Looking at Dahr-Ol, he said, "Your choice big man. Speak with this Hartfast first and get the Wizard's business out of the way, or rest and refresh before the meet?"

"I would meet with Hartfast first, we can consider his counsel while we rest and meet with friends. But the journey was long. If the company needs rest first, I will not force the issue. Gramtyng, Lachiel, Cecil; what are your wishes?"

Gramtyng, son of Fastredspacer.png

Riders of Rohan | Standard of Living: MartialCallingTraits | AP: 1 | XP: 5 | DP: 0

Valour: 4 | Wisdom: 4 | End: 27/27 | Load: 15 | Fatigue: 2 [+1] | Hope: 12/14 | Shadow: 6 [0] | Parry: 6 | Weary: No | Miserable: No |Wound: No

Skills: Body 5 (8) | Heart 5 (7)| Wits 4 (5) | Weapons | War Gear | Equipment | Songs

"No stranger am I to this hall, unless my eyes deceive me. New armor, Beranald?" Gramtyng squinted, looking over it. Certainly different from the usual leathers they'd worn. "The old man's cooperation efforts are bearing fruit then?" He called out to the watchman. "Brermod, Aldraeg, new spears as well, I see. How're your families? Its been a few winters." The bard half-turned to Dahr-Ol: "Much as I'd rather warm myself by the hearth and rest with a bowl of Helga's hot stew in hand, we should see Hartfast first."

OOC/Actions/Rolls

Helga is just a random name. Brought it up because I figure he knows who the cooks are in the main hall.

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)
Name
Courtesy, though I dont think its needed from words
[9] (2,2) = 13
tor(2,no) 9,2,2

spacer.png
In a volume meant only for her companions, Lachiel said, "Something wicked stirs here. Something young that digs beneath the ground with avarice and malign purpose. Look to the mens' eyes--something plagues them."

Giving it a thought as the others replied to the guards, the Elf continued, "Agreed, we ought to speak first of these ills before allowing ourselves to relax."

spacer.png"Ill news..." said the door-warden to Dahr-Ol. "As if we have not had enough of those already. But come. Let me take you to Hartfast. He will soon give you your answers, master dwarf."

Meanwhile, his two kin spoke with Gramtyng, who they now recognized and recalled. Their families were well, but they asked about the Bride. She was not present. Had some new tragedy befallen her?

At length, Beranald gathered them, and begun to lead them along the ascending path that would eventually take them to the Great Hall. The other two he left behind to guard the bridge. As he walked, he drew near Cecil, and tried to strike up a conversation. "How is the wizard these days? Does he bear any messages for us?"

OOC

Sorry-still out of town, and will continue to be so for the rest of the week. But I'll try to move us forward. Just a small post now, but I'll try to transition us to the next scene soon.

spacer.png

Scene 6: The Harrowed Hall

spacer.pngMaking their way through the upward approach-path, which was at places wide enough only for a single cart to move through, they passed by the house of the door-wardens, and at length reached the Great Hall. Like in other settlements across Wilderland, this Great-House or Long-House, as they often called it, was the heart of the settlement and the community. Built with timber, it had great walls and a high roof, and within it there were three huge fire-pits. Only one burned with a small fire at present: even in the heart of summer, the Woodmen kept it lit.

There were some Woodmen within: about a dozen, and many eyes turned to look at the strangers as they entered. Beranald led them to a table, and let them at last lay down their burdens while a modest meal was prepared for them. Then, after placing that request with the cook-still Helga, the woman Gramtyng remembered, he set out to fetch Hartfast.

spacer.pngHe returned a few moments later with the man himself. To those that had not seen him before, he was an imposing figure: tall and craggy and old, and crowned with a wild shock of white hair. He brought to mind the Misty Mountains, as if he were cut from the same hard stuff. His grey beard, long and decorated with golden amulets, signified him as a man of authority and some wealth, unique amongst his frugal folk. In his hand he held a walking-staff, and leant against it on occasion, yet his posture was still unbowed. A proud man-proud and stern.

"Gramtyng." he said to one of them. "You have missed the hospitality of my hall. I see that you have brought friends, too. I trust that you can vouch for them? Or should I ask Beranald to take their weapons?"

His eyes fell on the others, and he examined them, but he showed no reaction-if these travelers held esteem and renown elsewhere, then news of their deeds had certainly not reached his ears. Then, he returned his attention to Gramtyng.

"What is it this time? What does Radagast want?"

OOC

Let's have this play as an Encounter (or Social Scene, or Audience, or whatever it is called). Here's how it works:

• First, anyone who wants to can make an Insight check. Insight checks reveal pertinent information and can give bonus dice (d6s) to be used throughout the scene, one at a time. One for Basic Success on the Insight check, 2 for Great, 3 for Extraordinary.
  • Then, either one chosen spokesperson or everyone can make introductions-typically a piece of dialogue coupled to a check (usually Awe or Courtesy or Riddle, depending on the approach).
  • Then, we move to the Interaction phase. More dialogue coupled with any kind of social check (e.g., Persuade, Inspire, Song, Awe, Courtesy, Riddle, etc).
  • The Encounter ends when there is a number of failures that exceeds the Tolerance (keeping this number secret for now) or the maximum number of successes is achieved.
  • The stakes are: the type of support you can expect to receive from Hartfast, including the amount of time you can rest here.
  • Remember to invoke your Traits for auto-successes; personality traits can be really useful in these social interactions.

Good luck!

Barin Greycloak
lhV7Mo1.png

Barin made a point of laying his long axe upon the table before them and stepped back so it was out of arms reach. A show of goodwill to the stern man stood before them.

He looked the man - this Hartfast - up and down, then nodded almost imperceptibly to himself. He approved. The man seemed, at least to his Dwarven eyes, a good, competent sort. Strong, and obviously respected from what he'd seen of the people here in the settlement as the company had walked through.

Hard lands breed hard people, he thought to himself, yet the man was obviously trusting of those who had proven themselves in the past given the way he'd addressed Gramtyng.

With that in mind, he glanced towards the Bard and waited for his response and introduction whilst looking around the hall to see what he could glean.

Name
Insight roll
[1] (5,6) = 12
tor(2,no) 1,5,6

Gramtyng, son of Fastredspacer.png

Riders of Rohan | Standard of Living: MartialCallingTraits | AP: 1 | XP: 5 | DP: 0

Valour: 4 | Wisdom: 4 | End: 27/27 | Load: 15 | Fatigue: 2 [+1] | Hope: 12/14 | Shadow: 6 [0] | Parry: 6 | Weary: No | Miserable: No |Wound: No

Skills: Body 5 (8) | Heart 5 (7)| Wits 4 (5) | Weapons | War Gear | Equipment | Songs

The bard happily exchanged words with the two woodmen, becoming more animated than he'd been; after all this place was like a second home. "We parted ways at Radagast's. She's simply got something else to take care of - we'll reunite after this job. In the meantime, I gave Wuld a bone with some meat on it an' strictly charged the pup to take care of his mistress. She'll be fine." Gramtyng laughed. He'd not wanted to get into the specifics of where Idunn had gone - not that he'd not trusted these two, but Radagast summoned only them, and it would be a betrayal of the wizard's trust, whom he greatly respected. Idunn would be fine; he knew that. Dol Guldur or not, she was a hardened adventurer who knew better than to leap into danger.

"Aye, I'll vouch for them. Half of them I've fought and bled with, the other the Brown Wizard chose himself, and we've travelled together." The bard stepped forward to greet Hartfast though it'd been a bit painful to him lean on his cane at all. He waited to address Hartfast's question, considering ways to better answer it. "I've missed these halls, you're right. Though after the journeys I've been on recently, returning here is all the more soothing."

OOC/Actions/Rolls

I'll Invoke Old Songs to make Insight an Extraordinary Success. 3 bonus dice.

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)
Name
Insight
[5] (5,3,6) = 19
tor(3,no) 5,5,3,6

spacer.pngspacer.png"If these are your friends, then that is good enough for me." said the old man. He turned to the door-warden and added: "You did well, Beranald. I will take it from here."

Beranald nodded, and quickly rose up and left the great hall, returning to his post, as was his duty.

"Well? Your friends they may be, but I do not know their names, save the Lake-Man's. Will you not give them?" he said to the company, his eyes eventually settling on Gramtyng. "Unless the cat's got their tongues-in which case, southerner, it falls on you to introduce them."

OOC

Unfortunately, Barin's Insight is a failure, but Gramtyng's is a Great Success (or Extraordinary, if Old songs... upgrades it). So 2 (or 3) bonus dice to Gram for the Encounter, which he can also share with anyone. Some private text for Dio below...