Year 2950: A Darkness in the Marshes

Vladim

Barin Greycloak
lhV7Mo1.png

Barin eyed the boats nervously.

"Aye, I never did get along well with these things." he grumbled as he unsteadily tried to enter the boat with the Hobbit in it. "Here, someone hold me steady here. Núr, make yourself useful, there's a good lad." as he clutched at the young Dwarf's shoulder for balance.

Eventually he managed to settle himself onto one of the benches in the craft and made a conscious effort to sit as still as possible, all the while grumbling in Dwarven into his beard.

Name
Athletics check
[𐍈] (3) = 3
tor(1,no) 11,3

Cecil Brandybuck

Dahr-Ol

"...Oh, the boat. So your people named the boat? Do the boats get stolen often? My former people often scribed hidden marks on items of value. In case they went missing. A blood feud erupted long ago over six sows stolen by one of the clans. They bled each other to the point of extinction as each side piled outrage upon outrage.

“No, not usually. They have to be living. Horses, cows, chickens. That sort of thing.” 

He listened to Dahr-Ol’s tale as one might a hearth tale of some long, far away trouble, just as with the Dwarves who passed through the Shire. He imagined in a wide field clattering blades and horses and men. And after it all, a negotiation between kings and advisors. 

Lachiel

...Those first few nights, Lachiel regaled the camp with a few Elven songs that always did well in Esgaroth. She would sing them in the language of the Eldar as anything else would ruin the cadence.

Much to his relief, the days past more quickly than during his solo traveling. Each night he slept to Lachiel’s songs, closing his eyes as if under the tree of a singing bird. Opening them, he was reminded of the burnt timbers of fort ruins. 

The day along the Great River.

As they approached the boats, Cecil studied their construction intently. The woods here were made of prouder trees than the Shire and it showed in their shallow-arched timbers. The first boat rolled, heaving steadily less with each new member. First Lachiel and then Gramtyng and Dahr-Ol. He boarded the second boat, offering additional assistance to Barin. 

“They say the best way to avoid seasickness is to avoid overeating.” He eyed the Dwarf and smiled. “That’s why most Hobbits won’t touch a boat. Peppermint helps, too."

Dahr-Ol

Cecil, it sounds like you will be right at home for this portion of the trip. I would advise however, that we tone down our singing from here on. Or at least until we reach Mountain Hall. The Wolf Wood is home to its share of fell natured beings. And the dwellers in the Hall would not take well to us advertising our presence while we walk their hidden trail."

He peered down with face fixed, staring beneath the rushing water and then up the river line. Whatever dangers crouched out of sight had not yet shown themselves. Perhaps they were afraid.

He nodded.

Edited by Modest_Proposal (see edit history)
Name
Athletics
[4] (2) = 6
tor(1,no) 4,2

Gramtyng, son of Fastredspacer.png

Riders of RohanThe Men of the Mark are a generous folk, but when war is upon them, then they are fell to their enemies as they are loyal to their friends. When the lust of battle is on them, they appear as men stricken with grief, their faces deathly white, or as madmen ready to laugh at despair. The Riders of Rohan may enter a battle-fury if they roll an 11 or 12 on any attack or Protection roll. When this happens, they may choose to gain a point of Shadow, to add one Success die (up to a maximum of 6) to all their close combat attack rolls until the end of the battle.

Minstrel of the Golden Hall The history of Rohan is not written in any book or tome. Instead it is secreted in the verses of those songs you were taught by your mother and father. You have sung for the living and the dead, and your voice has filled even the Golden Hall of Meduseld. But new deeds worthy of song occur each day as a darkness gathers and you would be there to witness them first-hand and weave them into legend.
Basic Attributes: Body 5. Heart 5. Wits 4.
Favoured Skill: Song
 | Standard of Living: MartialIndividuals belonging to a Martial culture often live according to their status in the military hierarchy, with simple warriors and soldiers sleeping together in a common area; probably as part of the household of a renowned chieftain or noble. Meals are usually consumed in large halls, with seats and tables arranged to observe rules of precedence or respect. Clothing reflects the military status of an individual as well, or that of his family.

Martial player-heroes have enough resources to look after themselves, and to pay for such things as simple accommodation and meals. Ever mindful of the cost of any luxury, they often lead an austere life, or resort to haggling to lower the price of whatever they are trying to get hold of.
Calling"Speak no secrets! Here is a scholar in the Ancient Tongue."
For you, knowledge makes the wild world a less threatening place to live in. Strangers become friends if addressed properly, yellowed maps in lost books replace a fear of the unknown with curiosity and wonder of places you have yet to explore, songs composed in ages past strengthen the weariest of hearts. A love of learning guides your every step, and illuminates the way for you and those who listen to your advice.
Favoured Skill Groups: Perception, Vocation
Trait: Rhymes of Lore
Shadow Weakness: Lure of Secrets
"The roots of those mountains must be roots indeed; there must be great secrets buried there which have not been discovered since the beginning."
Inquisitiveness and curiosity are desirable virtues in an individual, but knowledge can be put to malicious use and learned individuals can look down on others as ignorant fools. Secrets are dangerous, as the very desire of uncovering them may corrupt the heart.
TraitsMinistrelsy ☐
Story-Telling ☐
Rhymes of Lore ☐
Hero of the Woodmen ☐
Fair ☐
Reckless(Mastery) ☐
 | AP: 1Personality: ✧✧✧
Movement: ✦✧✧
Perception: ✧✧✧
Survival: ✧✧✧
Custom: ✧✧✧
Vocation: ✦✦✧
✦✧
| XP: 55(62) | DP: 0No Challenges Yet.

Valour: 4Ancient Mail from Gondor(Mail) - lets you Rally Comrades from Forward Stance and allowed to attack(Found).

Horsetail Helm - Standing +1. When fighting on horseback or foot in Forward Stance, if you roll a Gandalf, you receive a bonus success die you can spend on any future rolls or give to a companion(From Heruthain).

Raging - quality unlock for Cenegeslit.
 | Wisdom: 4Old Songs and Children's Tales - When you roll a success on Inspire, Travel, Insight, Healing, Riddle, Lore check Song rating, if it is same or higher, then upgrade the quality of the success up by one: Normal->Great->Extraordinary. If the roll produced Gandalf rune, gain 1 point of Hope, once per session.

Household Esquire: Add an extra die to preparation rolls: Lore, Battle, and Insight when preparing for Journey/Combat/Social. Max 6 dice. Squire can also recover horse, bring spare weapon or shield if you drop or are disarmed, will carry you from field of battle if knocked down.

Ominous Blessing: Born in the shadow of Dwimorberg. When you roll a Sauron, can change it into a Gandalf for 1 shadow point. Luck turns and favors you but someone suffers.
 | 
End: 27/27 | Load: 15 | Fatigue: 2 [+1] | Hope: 12/14 | Shadow: 6 [0] | Parry: 6 | Weary: No | Miserable: No |Wound: No

Skills: Body 5 (8)+Awe ▣▣☐☐☐☐
Athletics ▣▣▣▣☐☐
Awareness ▣☐☐☐☐☐
Explore ▣☐☐☐☐☐
+Song ▣▣▣▣☐☐
Craft ▣☐☐☐☐☐
 | Heart 5 (7)Inspire ▣▣▣☐☐☐
Travel ▣▣▣☐☐☐
+Insight ▣▣▣☐☐☐
Healing☐☐☐☐☐☐
Courtesy ▣▣☐☐☐☐
Battle ▣▣☐☐☐☐
| Wits 4 (5)Persuade ☐☐☐☐☐☐
Stealth ☐☐☐☐☐☐
Search ☐☐☐☐☐☐
Hunting ▣▣▣☐☐☐
Riddle ▣☐☐☐☐☐
+Lore ▣▣▣☐☐☐
| WeaponsSwords ▣▣▣▣☐☐
Bow ▣▣▣☐☐☐
Dagger ▣☐☐☐☐☐
 | War GearWeapon | Damage | Edge | Injury | Notes | Enc
Sword 5 8 16 Ancient Keen 2
Bow 5 10 14 N/A 1

Armour/Shield | Protection | Parry | Enc
Mail 3d 12(6)
Helm +4 2
Shield +2 3
| EquipmentTreasure: 7
War Gear: Mail Shirt, Helm, Shield
Leasere: Radhors
Mab's Liquor(3)
Elven-Crafted Horse Reins
Durin the Seeker
Radagast's Tome.
 | SongsSong of Mourning(Tome) ☐
Battle-Song ☐

The days spent travelling Gramtyng had mostly spent writing in his journal or training with Belgo when there was a free moment. The time spent north had clearly made the horseman grow less friendly - after Dahr-Ol settled in the boat he'd chosen, he did not exchange any more words than necessary, neither happy nor grim. At times, the bard flipped through the heavy tome that Radagast had allowed him to copy, trying to further his understanding of it. He could not care less about the Mad King's mission, but he'd still enjoyed the songs and lore the others sometimes told around the campfire. Leasere's continued absence wore on the Rohirrim, Belgo would tell those that asked - he'd not been in the saddle for months now.

OOC/Actions/Rolls

Scene 4: The ascent

Time: Early summer 2950 T.A. Nine days since the departure from Rhosgobel. Noon.

Location: Western shores of the Anduin, just south of Stonyford

The first day of their river-journey was the worst. Banna had warned them that it would be so, for they had entered the Anduin near the Fields of the Gladden: a marshy land cloaked in thick mists in all seasons and all weather. The summer heat was made especially worse by the humidity. As they strained with the oars against the will of the Great River, they sweated profusely. Things that buzzed, stung, and crawled bred and multiplied in stagnant river-pools and the swampy mud. On that first day they were beset by legions of biting flies and blood-thirsty mosquitoes. They proved an ever-present nuisance even at night-time, disturbing their sleep in their chosen camp by the eastern bank, which was deemed safer at this point of their journey.

spacer.pngBut the journey itself was not without some merit, at least for the hobbit of the company. In the afternoon of that first, strenuous day, Banna pointed to a line of small hills by the river-banks. When she was little, her grandmother had told her tales of a fairy-folk who dwelled in holes under those hills, a long, long time ago. They could vanish from sight at will, such tales claimed. It was many years later, when she was almost a grown woman, that Radagast had confirmed that here of old dwelled hobbits, though they had long migrated westwards. The tales of her grandmother had reminded Banna of Cecil’s own accounts of the Shire and its folk. "Have you heard of such tales in your own country, this Shire?" she asked him inquisitively, curiosity finally winning over courtesy within the Woods-woman.

Such tales were told to the others also, when at night they stopped to camp. Yet if Radagast’s words about the Dwimmerhorn also weighed heavily on their mind, none could blame them. For it would be these very marshlands that they would have to brave soon if they were to find the fortress: a task that would likely take far longer than a single day. Perhaps Hartfast, the chieftain of Mountain-Hall, could aid them or at least offer counsel.

The going got easier on the second day, just as Banna had told them. The mists gradually faded, giving way to clear blue skies as they paddled along past Trader’s Isle. Here the Éafolc, a wandering clan of river-peoples that the Woodmen distrusted, had raised many tents and a simple trading post. Gramtyng had visited the island a few years prior. Yet now speed and secrecy compelled them not to stop, and so they continued along without rest.

Despite the hobbit's familiarity with boats, he and Barin and Núr struggled hard against the fast-flowing Anduin in the days that followed, short-limbed and small of stature as they were. Others aided them, and if there was need, the company rearranged itself in any way that was required to ease their efforts. Thus the journey was slower than it could have been. At long last, after six days on the waters, they reached the place just south of Stonyford and disembarked on the western shore.

For a while they rested. Banna spoke to them for one last time, warning them of the dangers of this last leg of their journey. The climb up the Misty Mountains would be the longest and most perilous. The wandering rangers that had visited Rhosgobel had spoken of a mighty host of goblins they had encountered in the foothills of the Misty Mountains just north of here, not so long ago.

"Travel due west, skirting around the woods, until you find the stream that flows from the mountains. The way is pathless for a while, and the going is difficult as you will begin your climb, but if you stay close to the mountain-stream you should find Firienseld in about a week’s time. May fortune favour you! I am certain that you will find your way to old Hartfast and return successful to Rhosgobel. I will await you there."

OOC

Mechanics:

• +2 to eye threshold (updated).
  • +1 Fatigue to Dahr-Ol, Barin and Cecil (updated)
  • Gramtyng uses a bonus die (updated). If others have them, use them in this last leg of the journey; they will be lost afterwards!
  • Barin becomes Guide as previously agreed (updated).
  • Yelik didn't have time to post, but Ingi uses his Boating trait for an auto-success at Athletics, as per Yelik's wishes (updated).

Everyone, please give me a Travel check, TN 14. If you have bonus dice, now may be a good time to use them! Good luck!

spacer.png
No one told Lachiel about how awful the insects were while rowing the Anduin. She had pictured some elegant, clean, wondrous place. Instead, it seemed like any other water. Lachiel decided there and then she disliked the marshes.

"Someone told me a fib about this place. Why must it be so thick with...bugs...Wait, now I know why you call them that..." she said, to use a Human vernacular.

During the nights, the Elf would sometimes hum cheerful-sounding tunes while etching small details onto her spear's handle. Each night she got just a little further. The intent was to have an ivy pattern along the entirety of it, to later inlay with gold, or better, pearl if she could afford it. The owl statue would wait.

One such night Lachiel sat near Cecil to have her meal. "I have had only two other chances to spend time with a Hobbit, and both were short. Does your kind make their way from this Shire often? The way they told it, both were fierce with homesickness and fed up with Esgaroth. More to the point, have you too felt this loneliness? I hope our company is enough to stave it off," she'd said, brimming with a warm smile.

When it was time for Sparrow to leave, Lachiel gave her a knowing nod and said, "Be safe on your journey back. I'm certain you will make your way swiftly, but hope is powerful, yes?"

It was time for the company to move ahead on foot. At least her arms would get a rest...

OOC

I'm going to use my bonus die myself. I have such a slim margin of encumbrance, I can't afford to fail this.

Welp...so much for that. Huh, I rolled in order. That's neat, but bad.

Name
Travel
[𐍈] (1,2,3,4) = 10
tor(4,no) 11,1,2,3,4

Dahr-Ol was steadfast in his determination to engage in conversation with Gramtyng. As they passed through the marshes he asked how the rivers in Rohan ran, were they swift or stagnant? Around the campfire, he made sure to leave a choice portion for him if fresh game had been caught. He commented on the varieties of ponies the hillmen bred, and how much finer and sleeker these southern mounts were. He pulled hard with his oar, harder than need be if only to ensure no charge of laziness could be laid at his feet. By the time Banna was ready to disembark he was thoroughly unsure how else to go about mending things between them. Forlorn, but still determined he bid Bana farewell. "Your advice is much appreciated, Bana fare well on your journey back. I climbed a bit of the banks along the Firienseld once, as a boy. I was following Merovech the Mighty. Without his permission, as I was enthralled by his status as a warrior and hunter. A boar burst from the underbrush and charged him. He skewered that beast with one hit, and smote the rock beneath it. He of course knew I had been following him. He made clean and quarter the bore and pack it back to Stonyford as punishment for leaving without permission. That rock near the start of the path that likely still bears the split from his spear. He was a good man."

Name
Travel
[2] (1,4) = 7
tor(2,no) 2,1,4

Cecil Brandybuck

If Banna had told Cecil that the withered river Gladden was miles South of the Anduin, Cecil would have believed her. Only two weeks prior and a few days Northeast, Cecil had crossed the Great River. It was wide and proud and clean fed from mountain springs. 

Yet here it lead. 

Moss laid like a carpet upon the listless water, tattered by the leading boat. It clung to his oars with branched fingers, pulling as he stroked shallowly for fear of catching a root. In return, his boat struck the banks and caused more strain and wasted time. He felt as tired as when he entered the Misty Mountain foothills. This was to say nothing of the pests that stung and bit so greedily. To his relief, they preferred the dwarf, though there were enough pests for the both of them. They balanced their bodies upon the water and in the stagnant air along rivulets that blended into bush and branch. 

Banna

"Have you heard of such tales in your own country, this Shire?"

Cecil remained still and spoke much more softly than his usual tone.

“Yes, we know. They say the Shire knows the tale and Buckland knows the story. Funny, that…” He did not speak more to it and seemed little engaged for the rest of the evening. Those more perceptive might have noticed Cecil reading a yellowed letter that night. 

“I should like to visit this place again. In fact, I must see to it.” He said to Barin, Dahr-Ol, Gramtyng, and Lachiel around the campfire before wandering behind the roots of a tree to sleep. While he drifted, he kept one sleepy eye on an empty boat.

On the second day, he held his breath as they passed the Éafolc, whom the Woodman of the party spoke little about. 

On the sixth day: Rest! After worsening conditions and many close calls, he was pleased that the boats of men could take such abuse. But they were constructed with simple effectiveness and were no worse for the travel.

Lachiel

One such night Lachiel sat near Cecil to have her meal. "I have had only two other chances to spend time with a Hobbit, and both were short. Does your kind make their way from this Shire often? The way they told it, both were fierce with homesickness and fed up with Esgaroth." 

“Hobbits do not linger where they are not welcome.” He stuffed his pipe delightfully slowly. “Except in the company of other Hobbits.”

Lachiel

More to the point, have you too felt this loneliness? I hope our company is enough to stave it off," she'd said, brimming with a warm smile.

He turned, directionless, sucking on his pipe. “No. Yes. Us Brandybucks use to live around here, you know. Might be some yet up in those hills peeking down at us right now! Who’s to say how far I am from home?"

There was a slight anxiousness in his voice. He put an idle hand on his satchel and spoke more quickly, leaving the subject behind.

"And anyway, you are fairer than any Hobbit and a better singer! What more could I ask for? Though between you and me, Dahr-Ol and Gramtyng could use a good dance." He puffed. "Do you ever get homesick? Seein’ as you’re so old, you must be use to it. Er, well. I mean. Is that right?”

Edited by Modest_Proposal (see edit history)
Name
Travel
[2] (6,2) = 10
tor(2,no) 2,6,2

Barin Greycloak
lhV7Mo1.png

Barin wasn't his usual self during the journey up the Anduin. It was clear he disliked being upon the water almost as much as he hated the rowing. His mood remained dour and he continuously grumbled during each shift at the oars. Núr, on the other hand, seemed to take to the boat very well - at least for a Dwarf - constantly chattering and pointing out things over on the muddy banks they could see from the boat.

Honestly, the older Dwarf found this youthful exuberance even more exhausting.

Eventually, however, they banked the boats for the last time and the company spent an evening in rest, nursing their sore muscles and preparing their belongings for the overland journey ahead. With the prospect of foot-slogging to replace rowing ahead of them, Barin's mood visibly shifted for the better - for one, he could be seen with a smile upon his lips as he animatedly spoke with Banna about the trail ahead of them.

Núr, of course, pulled out his maps of the region and took notes as the two guides spoke, back and forth, Banna imparting her knowledge of the region and Barin asking questions as to what manner of creatures were likely found, where and in what sort of numbers, where to avoid, where to ensure good hunting and safe camps - the usual checklist before heading out into the wilds.

That evening, he ate, smoked and chatted with the others much as if the previous few days hadn't occurred. However, he knew from the conversations with Banna that whilst the journey ahead of them may well be less physically taxing, it was certainly far more dangerous.

Name
Travel Check (using bonus)
[2] (3,1,1,6) = 13
tor(4,no) 2,3,1,1,6

spacer.png
"Mmm, that makes sense. Esgaroth does not hold many of your people. But I when I did see them, they were often walking in pairs or as a small group. I, for one, try to make all know they are welcome. We are all people's of Middle Earth. All should feel welcome where they tread," she replied to Cecil, still holding the bright smile.

Lachiel could tell the subject of family was perhaps a sore spot for the little Hobbit. Elves lived for so long that many grievances, misunderstandings, and things left unsaid could be worked out. She wouldn't press him further.

The Elf blushed a bit at Cecil's kind words. "Elves experience time differently, from the stories I've gathered. We can go many years alone without the loneliness that oft accompanies it. I believe it lies in the expectation that there is always more time to fix what may be broken or burdened."

Looking to Dahr-ol and Gramtyng, Lachiel giggled. "I do agree, Master Brandybuck--they look like a good dance would do their spirits good, though perhaps not their weary bones."

Gramtyng, son of Fastredspacer.png

Riders of RohanThe Men of the Mark are a generous folk, but when war is upon them, then they are fell to their enemies as they are loyal to their friends. When the lust of battle is on them, they appear as men stricken with grief, their faces deathly white, or as madmen ready to laugh at despair. The Riders of Rohan may enter a battle-fury if they roll an 11 or 12 on any attack or Protection roll. When this happens, they may choose to gain a point of Shadow, to add one Success die (up to a maximum of 6) to all their close combat attack rolls until the end of the battle.

Minstrel of the Golden Hall The history of Rohan is not written in any book or tome. Instead it is secreted in the verses of those songs you were taught by your mother and father. You have sung for the living and the dead, and your voice has filled even the Golden Hall of Meduseld. But new deeds worthy of song occur each day as a darkness gathers and you would be there to witness them first-hand and weave them into legend.
Basic Attributes: Body 5. Heart 5. Wits 4.
Favoured Skill: Song
 | Standard of Living: MartialIndividuals belonging to a Martial culture often live according to their status in the military hierarchy, with simple warriors and soldiers sleeping together in a common area; probably as part of the household of a renowned chieftain or noble. Meals are usually consumed in large halls, with seats and tables arranged to observe rules of precedence or respect. Clothing reflects the military status of an individual as well, or that of his family.

Martial player-heroes have enough resources to look after themselves, and to pay for such things as simple accommodation and meals. Ever mindful of the cost of any luxury, they often lead an austere life, or resort to haggling to lower the price of whatever they are trying to get hold of.
Calling"Speak no secrets! Here is a scholar in the Ancient Tongue."
For you, knowledge makes the wild world a less threatening place to live in. Strangers become friends if addressed properly, yellowed maps in lost books replace a fear of the unknown with curiosity and wonder of places you have yet to explore, songs composed in ages past strengthen the weariest of hearts. A love of learning guides your every step, and illuminates the way for you and those who listen to your advice.
Favoured Skill Groups: Perception, Vocation
Trait: Rhymes of Lore
Shadow Weakness: Lure of Secrets
"The roots of those mountains must be roots indeed; there must be great secrets buried there which have not been discovered since the beginning."
Inquisitiveness and curiosity are desirable virtues in an individual, but knowledge can be put to malicious use and learned individuals can look down on others as ignorant fools. Secrets are dangerous, as the very desire of uncovering them may corrupt the heart.
TraitsMinistrelsy ☐
Story-Telling ☐
Rhymes of Lore ☐
Hero of the Woodmen ☐
Fair ☐
Reckless(Mastery) ☐
 | AP: 1Personality: ✧✧✧
Movement: ✦✦✧
Perception: ✧✧✧
Survival: ✧✧✧
Custom: ✧✧✧
Vocation: ✦✦✧
✦✧
| XP: 55(62) | DP: 0No Challenges Yet.

Valour: 4Ancient Mail from Gondor(Mail) - lets you Rally Comrades from Forward Stance and allowed to attack(Found).

Horsetail Helm - Standing +1. When fighting on horseback or foot in Forward Stance, if you roll a Gandalf, you receive a bonus success die you can spend on any future rolls or give to a companion(From Heruthain).

Raging - quality unlock for Cenegeslit.
 | Wisdom: 4Old Songs and Children's Tales - When you roll a success on Inspire, Travel, Insight, Healing, Riddle, Lore check Song rating, if it is same or higher, then upgrade the quality of the success up by one: Normal->Great->Extraordinary. If the roll produced Gandalf rune, gain 1 point of Hope, once per session.

Household Esquire: Add an extra die to preparation rolls: Lore, Battle, and Insight when preparing for Journey/Combat/Social. Max 6 dice. Squire can also recover horse, bring spare weapon or shield if you drop or are disarmed, will carry you from field of battle if knocked down.

Ominous Blessing: Born in the shadow of Dwimorberg. When you roll a Sauron, can change it into a Gandalf for 1 shadow point. Luck turns and favors you but someone suffers.
 | 
End: 27/27 | Load: 15 | Fatigue: 2 [+1] | Hope: 12/14 | Shadow: 6 [0] | Parry: 6 | Weary: No | Miserable: No |Wound: No

Skills: Body 5 (8)+Awe ▣▣☐☐☐☐
Athletics ▣▣▣▣☐☐
Awareness ▣☐☐☐☐☐
Explore ▣☐☐☐☐☐
+Song ▣▣▣▣☐☐
Craft ▣☐☐☐☐☐
 | Heart 5 (7)Inspire ▣▣▣☐☐☐
Travel ▣▣▣☐☐☐
+Insight ▣▣▣☐☐☐
Healing☐☐☐☐☐☐
Courtesy ▣▣☐☐☐☐
Battle ▣▣☐☐☐☐
| Wits 4 (5)Persuade ☐☐☐☐☐☐
Stealth ☐☐☐☐☐☐
Search ☐☐☐☐☐☐
Hunting ▣▣▣☐☐☐
Riddle ▣☐☐☐☐☐
+Lore ▣▣▣☐☐☐
| WeaponsSwords ▣▣▣▣☐☐
Bow ▣▣▣☐☐☐
Dagger ▣☐☐☐☐☐
 | War GearWeapon | Damage | Edge | Injury | Notes | Enc
Sword 5 8 16 Ancient Keen 2
Bow 5 10 14 N/A 1

Armour/Shield | Protection | Parry | Enc
Mail 3d 12(6)
Helm +4 2
Shield +2 3
| EquipmentTreasure: 7
War Gear: Mail Shirt, Helm, Shield
Leasere: Radhors
Mab's Liquor(3)
Elven-Crafted Horse Reins
Durin the Seeker
Radagast's Tome.
 | SongsSong of Mourning(Tome) ☐
Battle-Song ☐

"Good fortunes, Sparrow." Nodded Gramtyng, climbing out of the boats. He'd have to make sure they were hidden if they were to use them to get back. "May your roads be simple and merry." He made a sound like the beginning of the laugh when he'd overheard the hobbit and the elf. "Back in the Mark, it was less dances and more song... Though we'd not shy away from them at festivals. As a bard, you got to know these sort of things regardless if you liked em or not." He walked over to where Barin was looking over the maps, looking at the path he'd plotted and offered some minute advice, after all, Mountain Hall was akin to his second home, and he'd spent a long time there and hunting nearby.

OOC/Actions/Rolls

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)
Name
Travel
[6] (6,3,1) = 16
tor(3,no) 6,6,3,1

spacer.png

Art credit: Jon Hodgson

Time: Early summer 2050 T.A. Twelve days since the departure from Rhosgobel. Noon.

Leaving the Anduin behind them, the companions travelled along its vales for a few days. At first the change from river-journey to foot-march was a welcome one: The land about the great river was flat for a few leagues, and easy to walk through. By night they made camp and broke bread together, and spoke tales of their lands and peoples, and came to know one another a little better. By day, they marched on, and ever in the distance the Misty Mountains loomed, rising like a mighty, impassable wall. Yet at present they seemed more majestic sight than mighty challenge. During those first two days, it seemed doubtful that Banna's words would prove true, for this last leg seemed more pleasant than perilous.

But those who had passed through these lands before knew them and could anticipate that the company's comfort would not last. At length plains gave way to hills, and then hills turned to mountains, until at last their rapid pace slowed to a weary ascent up the mountains. Even under their shadow the summer heat was great, and by noon it tested them mightily, tempting the company's warriors to cast aside their mail and helm and shield. Surely no orc would assail them under such bright sun? But they endured, for they had heard the rangers' tales and were wary of a sudden assault.

Three more days... Perhaps four. Three more days until they could rest under Hartfast's roof.

OOC

A summary of mechanics:

• Lachiel rolls an Eye, triggering a Journey Hazzard. -1 Hope to pass Travel check.

• Dahr-Ol, Cecil, Barin: +2 Fatigue

• Lachiel, Barin: -1 bonus die

• Eye Threshold: +1

I’ll roll for Ingi below as Yelik is very busy this week. I'll also update the statistics soon.

Next, I need the company's scout [ @thesloth ] to give me an Explore check. Players with a bonus die left can also help Slothicus by giving him a d6. Everyone should also give me a description of their PC's position as the company is climbing up the foothills of the Misty Mountains. This may or may not become relevant in the next post.

Please exercise some common sense (i.e., not everyone can be in the front of in the back, I assume that some are more ahead than others so please check what other players say and try to position your PC accordingly). If all else fails, use the Discord or the OOC thread to check with others.

Edit: A fail for Ingi (+2 Fatigue). Stats in the 1st post updated. Good luck!

Name
Ingi Travel
[5] (4,1,3) = 13
tor(3,no) 5,4,1,3

Barin Greycloak
lhV7Mo1.png

As the plains gave way to the foothills of the mountains, Barin began to feel more at home. After all, this range was once home to his distant brethren of Durin's line - albeit they been assumed lost after no word came from their kingdom for some time. Still, that aside, the mountains were home to the Dwarves the world over, so breathing deeply, his mood changed for the better.

Not to say that the going was easy, mind. Many of the fellowship were obviously unused to the conditions, and everyone seemed torn between being on-edge over any possible attack, and shedding their mail and helms against the heat of the day.

Still, he helped where he could, although traveling towards the fore of the group meant that really, only the scouts were ahead of Barin for most of the time.

From time to time, he would stop and confer with young Núr over their crude maps, the younger Dwarf animatedly pointing out landmarks which would help guide them along their path. So far, though, despite the arduousness of the hike, nothing untoward had occurred and there had been no sightings of any enemy.

spacer.png
The plains were welcome for Lachiel's feet but not much for her mind. While nature was oft a thing of beauty, she tended to find little of it in areas of flatland. Rolling hills soon replaced them and the rocky upward slanting mountain soon made her wish again for the boredom of plains.

The Elf would need to be near the front as well, not out of familiarity or yearning like Barin, but out of trying to spot danger early. She was glad the time hadn't come yet; tempered warriors did well in war but sought little of it. On those of the Shadow were eager to spill blood.

More than once, Lachiel considered doffing her helm and shield. The heat was relentless and she kept wiping sweat from her brow. It was uncomfortable at best as her skin grew dewey.

"Tell me, Barin," she began, trying to pass the time, "do all mountains give you a sense of belonging? Or just the ones you are from? Esgaroth is thick with Dwarves from Erebor. The speak oft of it, in a manner of longing, but also danger."
Name
Dwimmerhorn Lore
[4] (5,3,3) = 15
tor(3,no) 4,5,3,3

Barin Greycloak
lhV7Mo1.png

"Aye, the mountains are both home, and danger to my kin." Barin replied to Lachiel's question.

"Mahal made us as children of the stone which is why we have so much affinity for stone-, metal- and jewel-craft. We were made of the mountains, so they are as much a part of us as we are a part of them. But, beneath their roots, in the darkest of dark places, things better left out of the light dwell, so we must be ever mindful of where we dig and mine lest we awaken things best left undisturbed."

"Ha!" he barked suddenly, "Which is why we also make such stalwart warriors I suppose." he shot a grin across to the Elf along with a wry chuckle. "Erebor, though, now that is a special place for all our kind. It is, after all, the seat of power for all dwarf-kind, and a place that every Dwarf should visit at least once during their lifetime. Ah, to see the forges and workshops deep beneath the earth, bathed in the orange-white glow of the furnaces, and the veins within the gem-mines are things of beauty." he paused, reminiscing wistfully before continuing, "They hold a very special place."

"Still, I and my kin hail from the Grey Mountains, far to the North. A wild and often inhospitable region, but our manses there were, once, vital waystations between Gundabad and Erebor. Sadly now, those places are homes to Goblins, Orcs and Wyrms. One day, we will drive them all out and return, but that will not be a day that comes soon I think."

Paddling up the river had been simple enough if not physically easy, now came the ascent. Dahr-Ol sorely wished Annungil was here. They had scaled the Misty Mountains to rescue Dindy and his old friend would have been a reassuring presence. Dahr-Ol marked the the path that Barin and Gramtyng had determined to be the best and moved off ahead of the group. He kept the river to his right when it was present, judging that any attack from the far bank would be hampered already. He focused on the area to the left of the group. He had time to reflect as Elfwynn brought up the rear of the group, playing the role of shield maiden and ensuring the shorter legs of Cecil did not leave him straggling and vulnerable.

What would he have done if someone had left Elfwynn captive? An easy question, as he had already lived through the situation. How would he have felt towards such a person? A much tougher question to answer. Viglund's son he bore no love, but neither hatred. The men of the North were desperate, beset on many sides, and unable to understand the wiles of the enemy. They presumed a victory had been achieved in receiving thralls, when in truth, the enemy was feeding them poison. Victims they were, but not without guilt. As he pondered, he scouted for sign of goblin or warg. Mountain Hall was further south than the high pass, but that did not mean the enemy refused to venture here. Dahr-Ol asked Lachiel concerning the great elvish city that was rumored to exist south of the Beornings. If the tales were true, it was old, and had long been a thorn in the enemy's side.

"Lachiel, many rumors are told of a great elvish city. South of the High Pass where winter and the cold never reach. It was spoken of with great hatred by my former people. The sorcerors viewed it as a dangerous threat, something that had often blocked their plans. Does this place truly exist? Do your people have the means to repel an army? I only ask because the Dwimmerhorn is rumored to be a stronghold in its own right. Do your people possess an opposing fortress that might aid us?"

Name
Explore
[2] (6,4) = 12
tor(2,no) 2,6,4