Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Cult of Cinders OOC

Abberdaggus

Okay, any suggestions what Samrod should do skill-feat-wise? I *want* to take Train Animal, because Samrod managed to calm down 2 pretty large critters (elephant and dino), but so far his animal wrangling skills are only represented by his Expert Nature skill.

Aaaaand I just realised the remastered version of the feat omits the thing I was going for... 😒

Used to read: Success The animal learns the action. If it was an action the animal already knew, you can Command the Animal to take that action without attempting a Nature check...

So Samrod could have trained riding animals for the party to ride without having to make checks to command. But noo... 😑

Okay, so, Bonded Animal is nice too, but a lot more selfish. Oh well.

Or I just take Additional Lore (Warfare) to give Samrod something fitting to his martial background. And ask Abberdaggus to let Desert Lore get the automatic scaling.

Re: Dune, I'm more purist than most (I haven't touched the son's books), but I thought Villeneuve did a GREAT job of portraying Herbert's message. Granted, that's based on all six books, not the first three. I look forward to the next installment and can only hope he's allowed to get to the rest. Herbert did an outstanding job of moving the Overton window... :)

Free will FTW! :D

Re Dune. Herbert had a problem that Villeneuve has managed to avoid so far. His basic message of heroes as flawed and dangerous kind of gets lost when you realize that Paul was acting to prevent the extinction of the entire human race. I assume Villeneuve has very deliberately avoided any mention of the "golden path", at this point it looks like Paul has launched the Jihad mostly for very human reasons which actually conveys Herbert's message better than the books did (at least at this point).

He also pretty wisely removed the whole homophobic angle from the Harkonens.

@leons1701 My only contact with the Dune franchise was playing the RTS a bit back when. Never read the book or watched the movie. All I gather is that House Harkonen is the 'bad guys' for reasons. So what am I missing there?

Also: Since Samrod has a 3rd level spell slot now, but not really a good reason to suddenly know any 3rd level spells, I suppose he'll just use 2nd level Longstrider and use the new slot for another shot at making Blood Vendetta actually do something. Anyone having any suggestions about the Tran Animal thing? Maybe if Abberdaggus allows the legacy version...

4 hours ago, Lycar said:

@leons1701 My only contact with the Dune franchise was playing the RTS a bit back when. Never read the book or watched the movie. All I gather is that House Harkonen is the 'bad guys' for reasons. So what am I missing there?

So in the original book version of the Harkonnens, the Baron is a super camp gay pedophile and it is not in the least subtle, Herbert made him the most deliberately offensive caricature of a gay man he could think of. It's pretty well known that Herbert cut off all contact with one of his sons because he was gay, so it was definitely not a coincidence. Even the Lynch movie played with that a bit, with Sting prancing around in a leather speedo. The current movie drops all that, the Harkonnens are evil because they are psychopathic sadistic slavers, do you really need any more reason?

Watches: I think Boradur has the lowest perception in the party, so probably shouldn't pair with Pendergrast, who likely is even worse. Other than that, no real preference.

You mean on account of his probably abysmal wisdom score? 😁

Samrod has no problem doing watch with Pendergrast. Whether Pendergrast will have a problem with Samrod remains to be seen.

Also whether anyone in the party is going to comment on Samrod's ongoing scalyfication.

Him being a Rogue, it would be harder to believe he isn't trained in something... 😁

Interesting enough, Samrod is slightly more charismatic then Cirmaran.

As for builds... well, I have an idea about how to progress Samrod's Dragon Disciple levels, giving him a sort of natural progression towards Shape of the Dragon, which shall represent him having mastered his draconic 'affliction'. And since he is supposed to be a bit 'monkish', I have plans to keep improving his Dex along with Str and Con, so his ranged capabilities don't fall off. He would eventually have a +5 Dex modifier and thus be able to rock full on-level AC even without wearing armour.

Of course, as much as the PF2 devs tried to keep things sane, with Free Archetype in play, you can pull of some interesting shenanigans. Which do, however, still play into PF2s philosophy of 'grow wider, not taller'.

If everything works out, a past-campaign Samrod could 'retire' as an advisor/vizier to some Qadiran sheik or something. He has the beard for it.

Do any of you have an idea what your toons would be doing after lv. 20? I imagine Boradur would be a well-respected member of the Breachill community, and may very well decide to help guard Alseta's ring and Keep Altearain, to prevent it to fall into the hands of evildoers. Cirmaran would probably return to being a scourge on Chelaxian shipping. I wonder about Wilder though?

No idea what Wilder will be doing past Level 20! Probably wandering the world, exploring, meeting people. But to be honest, his HP are so low that I'm not sure he'll live to L20.

BTW, are any of you finding it hard to process / figure out the changes between the original and remaster of the rules? I think they're mostly the same, but it's tricky to figure out. I know my cantrips scale differently, the feats have different level pre-reqs. Maybe there's more.

Also, anyone care to take a guess of how long we've been on this same map? I know I could look it up, but I'd rather guess and see how close I can get. My guess is...

Show this

that we've been on this map since August of 2023

Edited by ifreedman (see edit history)