OOC: About the Campaign

foltor

There is some way to add character sheets to the game (not sure what it is but I've seen it in one or two games). That might be the issue with the languages, I think it would have been an issue with the old site, though I'm not sure why any of them would be readable if it were....

Huh. Odd.

Linking my sheet did allow me to read the Common tag. The Granarctian one seems to be readable with or without a sheet in this most recent test post. But in the second post of this OOC, with that Language test, it's only visible to me now? Couldn't see that before, but now I see the text behind the second and third tags, just not the first

23 hours ago, Madadh said:

I just made his name a link to the character sheet for stats purposes as I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get a stat block in there easily.

Edit: Also Ryfte I will say your post template is almost unreadable for me on the dark theme. The background is white and the text shows as gray.

Madadh, thanks, and apologies. It should be fixed now. I sometimes forget when I set up my post templates to specify the text colors. 😊

I'm seeing both language posts as the actual text vs. "something in a foreign language" but then again, I don't have a MW sheet attached to the game yet. I'll take care of that right now actually...

Edit: And now that my sheet is attached... I can in fact only read the common. I think its working properly, isn't it? Add one in Iruxi and I'll know, lol. :D

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)

As far as languages go are we sticking to the listed ones for the races? That is to say, does Ash know Iruxi (which is the lizardfolk language) or would she simply know the regional language of her area? I ask as sometimes GM's simply don't use "ancestry / racial" languages as they're a holdover from generic fantasy writing over the decades. Realistically, there really isn't such a thing as a "racial" language for any race but instead there is a regional language that people from a given area speak, regardless of their race. Human's after all don't speak "Human" while for simplicity's sake fantasy author's somehow decided that ALL elves speak "Elvish" for some reason, lol. Simply put, language isn't racial but is cultural. This allows the geography and where a culture is located to determine their given languages exclusively. You wouldn't have a halfling from one side of the world share the "halfling" language with another halfling on the other side of the world. *shrug*

This may be more "realistic" than you want to bother with of course. Mechanically it would simply be replacing racial language(s) with the appropriate regional language(s).

Edit: Ash is from a small cliff based coastal village in Elme 'Haraz for example, so if there wasn't an Iruxi language then she would simply know the same language as everyone else in the region, i.e. Harazi. Being from a more isolated village she might have an unusual dialect of course but she'd still be able to communicate with people from her region, and they with her of course. Common would be the pidgin language as you've already covered and make basic communications with others viable, such as for trading. On the other hand, if she only knew Iruxi a kobold village an hour to the north would only be able to use common for their primary communication, despite being from the same exact region. ;)

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)

2 hours ago, The Eyeball Kid said:

I can read the Common and the Granarctian now. Can't read the first one in your initial test though.

The first test used Esperanto as a control. Common: everyone should know; Granarctian: some should know; Esperanto: nobody should know.

I think I'm going to prefer using spoiler tags for a couple of reasons, anyway.

1 hour ago, Ryfte said:

Realistically, there really isn't such a thing as a "racial" language for any race but instead there is a regional language that people from a given area speak, regardless of their race. Human's after all don't speak "Human" while for simplicity's sake fantasy author's somehow decided that ALL elves speak "Elvish" for some reason, lol. Simply put, language isn't racial but is cultural. This allows the geography and where a culture is located to determine their given languages exclusively. You wouldn't have a halfling from one side of the world share the "halfling" language with another halfling on the other side of the world. *shrug*

This may be more "realistic" than you want to bother with of course. Mechanically it would simply be replacing racial language(s) with the appropriate regional language(s).

This is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night as a worldbuilder and gamemaster: striking a balance between realism, convention, utility, familiarity, and 'is this even ever going to matter?'

For the purposes of this game, Ancestries get their racial languages as written. Figuring out why all Elves speak Elvish despite all geographic and historical sense is an exercise left to the reader.

I once hotwired Savage Worlds to allow players to freely mix and match physical and cultural characteristics, so you could be an Elf raised by Dwarves, etc. Pathfinder makes it harder to tease apart physical and cultural characteristics and still have Ancestries balanced.