Chapter 4 โ€” Caves under Black Hill

iantruesilver

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 1, Init 3, HP 10/11, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
silversheen, MC rapier +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20) +4 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None
hero points: 0/1

Vri translates again what they said and she shows the others the discs and cards that she has received. She doesn't know what they are, but the others might know. She wondered if she had seen a girl with purple hair in the town when she was last there.

"If they can get in, it will open for us as well, right? Or they can give us some pointers as how to get in."

She asks the Skulk how to get into the doors? Do they open at random intervals, or do you have to do something to get in?

OOC

Edited by farothel (see edit history)
Name
knowledge (local)
1d20+5 9

Barhuce

spacer.png

Barhuce listens for a few minutes, not adding much because he really doesn't have much to add at the moment. "I can probably help Val with that. I actually do know my way around a set of lockpicks."

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2740751][B][SIZE=+1]Barhuce[/SIZE][/B][/URL] M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 9/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 0 [B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2) [B] light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2) [B] Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10 [B]Condition[/B] None
Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), Level 1, Init 4, HP 9/9, Speed 30
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 4, Will 0, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) 3 (1d4+4, x2)
light Mace 1 (1d6+1, x2)
Dagger 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Lamellar Cuirass (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
Condition None

Actions Crunch

Fort save:

Free:

Standard:

Readied action:

T'Sarra Khonnor 

spacer.pngT'Sarra Khonnor — Tiefling Oracle 1
AC/T/FF 18/13/15 | HP 11/11 | Init +3 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 3/3/2 | Darkvision
Hero Points 0
Active Conditions: +1 to atk and AC vs. robots (robot slayer trait)
Spells:

1st: (4 remaining) Cure light wounds, Bless, Inflict Light Wounds
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, mending, guidance, create water

Gremlin caves

As they planned, T'Sarra looked at Vri and smiled.

"Two doors though. That door," she pointed to the one at the far side of the gloomy skulk cavern

"They presumably know how to open. But there was another door up in the gremlin nest that looked the same but was locked. We didn't spend much time letting Val and Barhuce loose to try to figure out the locks though. That's the one I was talking about. Guess it doesn't hurt to ask Sef if they know how to open the 'gremlin door'? That's the one this purple haired woman with the orcs and the rat folk went through, according to her. Seems the more promising of the two. If we can get it open."

She looked at Val intentionally then asked, "Did anyone say they needed to go up topside for a rest? I am good to keep going, and I'm conscious that the longer we delay, the colder Khonnir's trail is going to get. I'm game to push on. If we can't get the gremlin door open, we can come back here and try this one. Hopefully they connect sooner or later."

Mechanics

Free:

Move:
Standard (full):

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -2
Climb* +4
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6
Survival +4
Swim* +4

* -1 ACP to str and dex skills  

Black Hill Caves — Junkyard Cave / Gremlin Caves

After finishing the rest of that conversation with Sef, she essentially relays that she is not sure what exactly is in the strange desert, as her tribe of skulks have not ventured too much into that environ. She does assert that there are some strange four-armed skeletons, that has had her tribe proper spooked, and so they've refused to go back that far.

As for returning them home, she says that they arrived via a levitate spell cast by her now-dead predecessor which, now that he and a number of her other tribesfolk have been murdered, effectively leaves them stranded here with no hope of going home.

Whatever you were seeking a source of cold for, she unfortunately cannot help you in that regard. Similarly, while it stands to reason that since the purple-haired lady and her group disappeared through the gremlins' section of the caves and have not returned, Sef reaffirms that she and her skulks have not been able to open that door past where the gremlins lived.

Vri Only

To the best of your knowledge, you've not heard of any purple-haired woman amongst the residents of Torch, nor has there been any gossip thereto, much less of a party of orcs and ratfolk to boot.

That said…

spacer.png"Hey, didn't Inkrit at the general store say something about a pretty purple-haired woman?" After leaving the skulks to their own business, Rain recalled the rumour she had heard from the store owner the other day, privately to the group and out of earshot.

spacer.pngAs you walked back through the gremlin caves, Val turned one of the card-like things over and over in her hand, observing it as she mumbles to herself, "Brilliant. This… I could be wrong but, what if this thing is some form of currency or something?"

spacer.pngNot entirely convinced at Val's determination, the android points out beside her, "But Val, look at the sword behind the ball with the squiggly shapes. What does that mean?"

[[ Map — Black Hill Caves ]]

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

T'Sarra Khonnor 

AC/T/FF 18/13/15 | HP 11/11 | Init +3 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 3/3/2 | Darkvision
Hero Points 0
Spells:

Gremlin caves

T'Sarra was no technologist but she replied to Val as they walked back to the gremlin hall.

"I don't know, the other things look more like coins than these do," she indicated one of the silvery discs.

At the door in the gremlin hall she stood back and let Val and Barhuce work, giving what little help she could.

Mechanics
Guidance on Barhuce and Val if it helps the door opening. Not sure it really lasts long enough though.

Free:

Move:
Standard (full):

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -2
Climb* +4
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6
Survival +4
Swim* +4

Edited by ccanary (see edit history)

Black Hill Caves — Gremlin Caves

Returning to the larger of the gremlin caves where you don't actually have to hunch down, your group go back to the smooth dark metal wall (which Val believes is made of glaucite), and start examining the door once again. More absorbed with the little card-like things you've received from Sef, Val practically bumps into the wall face first, but as she nears, still examining the object in her hand as she flips it this way and that.

All of a sudden in front of her, a black and previously unremarkable panel lights up beside the still tightly shut circular door, spewing a short burst of noise with which you are heretofore unfamiliar.

spacer.png

spacer.pngVal jumps a little from the experience, blinking a couple times as she is surprised by the sound, "What in the?"

Statblock

Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
Condition None

Vri followed the group back to the doors. She didn't really understand what the hell those things were they had been given, but they looked pretty. Well, the coin things that was. The card things were just card things. She didn't really understand what it all was. She was better in stabbing stuff than in technology. When Val managed to get a noise and something that lighted up, she was surprised.

"Okay, you got a reaction. What now? Anybody understands what this is? And how much time do we have before the water breathing spell runs out? We either have to get back, try to get back later without the spell, or find another exit."

She looks at the lighted panel and then the door itself, trying to understand it or finding a slot or a lever or something.

OOC

Name
perception
1d20+7 5

Barhuce

spacer.png

Barhuce looks at the now lit panel. "I'm afraid I don't know anything about this flashy light stuff. I'll check to see if I can spot any traps though."

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2740751][B][SIZE=+1]Barhuce[/SIZE][/B][/URL] M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 9/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 0 [B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2) [B] light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2) [B] Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10 [B]Condition[/B] None
Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), Level 1, Init 4, HP 9/9, Speed 30
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 4, Will 0, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) 3 (1d4+4, x2)
light Mace 1 (1d6+1, x2)
Dagger 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Lamellar Cuirass (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
Condition None

Actions Crunch

perception for traps

intellegence check for ideas

Fort save:

Free:

Standard:

Readied action:

Name
perception for traps
1d20+5 6
intellegence check for ideas
1d20+4 18

T'Sarra Khonnor 

Hero Points 0
Spells:

Gremlin caves

T'Sarra didn't have much to add except for a keen (as keen as she could manage) eye to look the thing over.

"I think Val's got more experience with this stuff, living with Khonnir, than any of us. So? What do you make of it, Val?"

Mechanics
Perception to look it over, see if we get lucky

Free:

Move:
Standard (full):

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -2
Climb* +4
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6
Survival +4
Swim* +4

Name
perception to examine panel
1d20+6 20

Looking at the panel, it could've otherwise blended right into the same section of wall beside the circular door. There would've been no indication otherwise that it even existed had it not suddenly lit up and made some noise.

The panel's edges, while flush to the wall's smooth surface, has a clearly defined edge, now separating where the grey of the rest of the wall ends and the black of the panel's background begins. The little symbols inside some of the beige-yellow shapes are unrecognizable to you.

The thing stays lit up for about half a minute, then fades back to the same grey colour of the rest of the wall again.

Val took a long moment to look at where the panel was and the card-like thing in her hand, doing repeated double-takes between.

T'Sarra Only

Before it faded away, the larger, red shape in the upper center seemed to match that on the card-like object in Val's hand.

Barhuce Only

If Val is correct and the material of the wall is indeed Glaucite, you'll have a heck of a time trying to put a dent into it, forget punching a hole through.

T'Sarra Khonnor 

Hero Points 0
Spells:

Gremlin caves

T'Sarra held up a hand as she watched the symbol sequence.

"Hold.. hold hold. I swear I saw the same symbol Maybe like the same kind of magic?"

She took one of the brown cards and held it up in front of the panel, then waved it around a little. Then tapped it against the panel, then harder, then shrugged.

"All it seems to do if make an irritating noise."

Mechanics
Perception to look it over, see if we get lucky

Free:

Move:
Standard (full):

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -2
Climb* +4
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6
Survival +4
Swim* +4

Statblock

Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
Condition None

Vri didn't know much about these things, so she looked around more than she concentrated on the strange thing they had encountered. Even with strange things next to doors, there could still be ambushes. Those gremlins could come back for instance. But when T'Sarra mentioned the beeping, she did look up.

"Maybe it's a musical code. One of the bards at the circus said his college had something like that for their restricted library, although there it was more elaborate than just some beeps. Maybe we have to create those beeps in the correct order and the door opens up."

OOC

As T'Sarra tries another of the card-like objects, waving and tapping it against the panel, it repeated the same response as it gave before, lighting up with the same shapes and symbols, and replaying the same noise again once more.

spacer.pngTaking the hint from Vri, the android tries to imitate the noise, albeit doing a pretty poor job at it, "Blee-ee boo-woo-woo-wuzz. Blee-ee boo-woo-woo-wuzz…"

spacer.pngBlinking as this happens, Val suddenly dives over toward T'Sarra and grabs the whole handful of the card-like things, and taps each one against the panel, each time reproducing the same result. "Ohhh… I get it now!"

T'Sarra Khonnor 

Hero Points 0
Spells:

Gremlin caves

T'Sarra looked at Vri and shrugged.

"Maybe it is but I ... don't think I can do that. I mean I could give it a shot I guess but I don't have any training."

She did her best to hum the tune.

Mechanics
Perform (???) I guess why not? Untrained so just +cha mod but still 19...

Free:

Move:
Standard (full):

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -2
Climb* +4
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6
Survival +4
Swim* +4

Edited by ccanary (see edit history)
Name
perform untrained
1d20+3 16

T'Sarra Khonnor 

Hero Points 0
Spells:

Gremlin caves

T'Sarra shrugged after they'd tried everything they could think of.

"Well, I'm out of ideas. Maybe try the other door? They aren't THAT far apart, maybe they go to the same place?"

Mechanics

Free:

Move:
Standard (full):

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -2
Climb* +4
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6