A Baronet's Daughter and a Sunless Citadel IC

spacer.png

Character Sheet

Kaldakaczil (Dragon)
Male Lawful Good Gold Dragon 3//Paladin 2/Sorcerer 1, Level 3, Init 1, HP 42/42, Speed 40ft, Swim 40ft, Fly 50ft
AC 17, Touch 11, Flat-footed 16, Fort 11, Ref 8, Will 7, Base Attack Bonus 3   
  Bite  +6 (1d8+3, x2)
Claws +4/+4 (1d6+1, x2)
  Mage Armor (+4 Armor, +1 Dex, +2 Natural))
Abilities Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 18
Senses Keen Senses (half distance penalties for perception), Keen Low-Light Vision (multiply effective illumination distances for the dragon by 4), Darkvision 120ft.
Conditions Mage Armor

Human Form (Name Gawain)
Male Lawful Good Gold Dragon 3//Paladin 2/Sorcerer 1, Level 3, Init 1, HP 42/42, Speed 30ft
AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, Fort 11, Ref 8, Will 7, Base Attack Bonus 3   
  Greatsword  +5 (2d6+3, x2)
  Mage Armor (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 18
Senses Keen Senses (half distance penalties for perception), Keen Low-Light Vision (multiply effective illumination distances for the dragon by 4), Darkvision 120ft.
Conditions Mage Armor, Alternate Form (Human), + Hat of Disguise for the armor's appearance.

Kaldakaczil offered a nod in greeting to the priest as she arrived, "I greet you in the name of the Platinum Dragon, Miss Nackle. It's fortunate that this town has one as capable as yourself to attend to them, even if Miss Olivia's troubles seem to vex the blessings or your Lord of Sun."

"To that matter... Do you have any theories as to the source of her affliction? It appears that whatever malediction responsible relies upon a font of Negative Energy, so its no wonder that channeling the blessings of the outer planes, and the positive energy they rule over, appears to ameliorate its effects. Theoretically... I wonder if a sufficient quantity could destabilize the font entirely?" There was a flicker of curiosity across the paladin's face, reinforced by one of his hands reaching up to scratch his chin in thought. "If the channel is being renewed by the undead responsible, perhaps slaying the creature would also work. If not, then that apple may be her best hope after all..."

He's eventually roused from his wandering thoughts by a warning squawk from within his pack, prompting an apologetic smile from the man as he turns his attention back towards the woman. "My apologies. I may be able to spare some of the energy my lord lends me to help stabilize her condition before we leave."

Edited by Amoren (see edit history)

felipe-bracioli-monk.jpg.801880d3559483d3787f017ce68115c6.jpgKethar gives the preistess a small bow. "A pleasure it is to meet you misstress. As young master Gawain has mentioned there is a negative energy in the air here that screams of the undead. It is that negative energy that is feeding off of her. While providing her with new energy will help slow the process I fear it will not help in the long term until we vanquish whatever it is that is generating the negative energy field. Now that I have taken some time to study I might be able to track it down." He nods his head at the request for healing and steps forward. Though they can not be seen by others the fox once more appears and hops up on the bed and settles on top of the girl. Kethar's eyes start to glow again and he lightly places his hand upon the girls forehead and asks the great spirit to provide some of its energyCasting Cure light Wounds which is 1d8+3 at this lvl. to help her. He grins as a faint glow seemed to envelop her for a moment before it faded away.

Turning to the priestess he speaks softly "If you have some honey and ginger I suggest making her some teas with it. It should help provide her some energy to keep on fighting."

Name
Cure light wounds
1d8+3 7
Heal check
1d20+8 7

The Fields - Booth and Malus

Malus manages to get the sappy substance off of him, and suffers no damage beyond the initial small burnAs I said before, a single point of damage. No type is listed in the stat block other than it is a type of poison, so I'm just going to say untyped physical damage. . From his investigation of substance he figures out it is more than just a sappy substance. By all appearances, the substance is tree sap. Hostile, flesh hating tree sap.

Booth cannot really see anything out of the ordinary. No obvious tracks and no blood trails that don't seem to be from the cow stumbling to its death after being attacked. No traces of animal or human scent in the area. The wounds on the cow are random, and all located on the legs, stomach, and sizes. Almost like the cow just fell onto of a thicket of thorn bushes.

The Baronet's Daughter - Kethar and Kaldakaczil/Gawain

The girl's lifeforce is strong, that is apparent even in her current condition, and the opposing force of it draws in the negative energy like a magnate. With Kethar's curative spell some color returns to her face and she shifts a bit in her sleep. Ms. Nackle speaks up, "Thank you, the both of you." She thinks for a moment on the words of "Gawain" and Kethar, "This news of the undead is, well, news to me. But it makes sense. We have had some trouble with undead before, random weak undead are sometimes found wondering the field. But I had no idea what is affecting Olivia might involve undead. But I agree, slaying the source of the energy will probably heal her in that case." The maid nods and writes down Kethar's suggestion of ginger and honey tea for Olivia. "I'll make some for her when she wakes up next." Vurnor Leng has been listening and watching the exchange, and his look is a mix of concern and hope, from the mention the undead source and a possible cure for his daughter. "As Ms. Nackle said, thank you to the both of you. It seems to me a course of action has appeared, and I'm glad for that." Vurnor Leng motions towards the door, "My daughter will be able to rest better thanks to the efforts of the two of you. If you don't mind, I'd like to let her do that now. I really don't want to accidently wake her if it isn't necessary."

Ol' Boar Inn - Céibhfhionn

The patrons are quite responsive to the music and magic show, dancing in place and humming, singing, and table thumping along to Céibhfhionn's music. Given that there were only 3 spell casters in town before, their previous exposure to magic has been quite limited so even this simple show is quite impressive. The mood of the town has been quite dark in the last couple of months, people are afraid and don't even know what they are afraid of. This is proving quite a welcome distraction.

Edited by DragonFriend (see edit history)

Malus| AC 16 | Ini: 4 | BAB +3 | Hit Points: 41/42 | Size: Medium | Speed: 40 ft |
Touch: +13| Fort: +5 | Ref: +6 | Will: +5 | FF: +12

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/db/fb/75/dbfb75e82420d9c9871e46b39e7fdee2.jpg

Malus frowns and looks at his smaller nature-aligned ally "It's a sap, an animal, hence human too hostile sap. What being could possibly use such concoction safely, it would need to be mainly or mostly plant-based. At least their delivery system. I can't remember any such being. Do you have a knife or a dagger?"

Tools of the Trade

Unarmed:

Unarmed: 1d20+7, 1d8+4, (x2)

Unarmed (Using Shadow Hand): 1d20+8, 1d8+5 (x2)

Actions/OOC

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

Stances: [X]=Non-Active, [O]= Active

Island of Blades [O]

Stance of Clarity [X]

Maneuvers: [X]=Non-Active, [O]= Active

Clinging Shadow Strike [O]

Burning Blade [O]

Sapphire Nightmare Blade [O]

Mighty Throw [O]

Stone Bones [X]

Sudden Leap [X]

Wolf Fang Strike [X]

Shadow Jaunt [O]

OOC:

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

kaldakaczilhumansmall.png.f3ee92b6fb6570c90b2000575e3603cc.png

Character Sheet

Kaldakaczil (Dragon)
Male Lawful Good Gold Dragon 3//Paladin 2/Sorcerer 1, Level 3, Init 1, HP 42/42, Speed 40ft, Swim 40ft, Fly 50ft
  Bite  +6 (1d8+3, x2)
Claws +4/+4 (1d6+1, x2)
Conditions Mage Armor

Human Form (Name Gawain)
Male Lawful Good Gold Dragon 3//Paladin 2/Sorcerer 1, Level 3, Init 1, HP 42/42, Speed 30ft
Conditions Mage Armor, Alternate Form (Human), + Hat of Disguise for the armor's appearance.

Luca (Raven Familiar)
Male Neutral Animal 1, Level 3, Init +2, HP 21/21, Speed 10ft, Fly 40ft (average)
AC 15, Touch 14, Flat-footed 13, Fort

The man gave a nod, before pausing for a moment to, as gently as he could, place his hand upon Olivia's forehead. With a prayer muttered underneath his breath, he channeled the reservoir of positive energy he possessed into her as well to further reinforce her against the swell of negative energy with Kethar's, before removing his hand and offering a polite nod towards the two, "We will do what we can. With luck, Olivia will return to health even before we return to let you know of our success."

Turning towards Kethar, Kal speaks again. "Our peculiar bard said she was intending to wait for us at the tavern. It might be prudent to gather back together and share what we've each discovered, then perhaps visit the merchant for supplies as well as to get his insights into the missing adventurers."

Booth

image.png.5a12008c7639d0ea159562010b45e66a.png

Booth squats by the cattle's body. He continues to use his claw to pick at the wound, this time focusing on the sap's texture.

'Sorry, big one. I hadn't expected to be whisked right after signing my name. I was just overjoyed that I found the Tavern, so I'm as naked as a molerat.' He looks back at the landscape. 'No signs of attackers coming from a distance. No sign of struggle even for the cow, and plant chewers usually are very skittish.'

He raises one claw. 'Would a claw do just as well for what you need?' Booth plucks several grass blades to form a makeshift spoon, and scoops a bit of the sap off the body to look closer. 'The way the cow died, almost as if it fell into some prickly ground plants.'

The gnome sniffs at the sap, almost absentmindedly.

Level 3Woodling Feral Deep Gnome / Swordsage 2 Ardent 1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

:::Deep Gnome:::
Blindness / Deafness 1/day
Blur 1/day
Disguise Self 1/day
---------
+2 Hide when underground
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids.
+1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by Booth.

:::Woodling:::
Entangle 1/day
Summon nature's ally II 1/day
---------
+4 bonus on Hide checks and Move Silently checks in aboveground natural environments.

:::Vow of Poverty:::
Fey creatures regard you as though you are fey.
+1 bonus on all saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities.

:::Swordsage:::
Maneuvers Known: Wind Stride, Sudden Leap, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Moment of Perfect Mind
Readied: Mighty Throw, Crusader's Strike, Shadow Blade Technique, Clinging Shadow Strike
Stances: Hunter's Sense, Child of Shadow, Martial Spirit

:::Ardent:::
Life Mantle: Touch of Health
Mental Power Mantle: Mind Thrust
| Init 3 | AC 35 Flat 33 | HP 22/22 | Walk 30ft | Darkvision 120ft | Fast Heal 2, DR 5/slash, SR 14, Fire 50% | FORT 4 REF 7 WILL 12 | NondetectionA svirfneblin has a continuous nondetection ability as the spell (caster level equal to class levels), StonecunningThis ability grants deep gnomes a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework. A deep gnome who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as though actively searching, and can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A svirfneblin can also intuit depth, sensing the approximate distance underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up., Plant TraitsA woodling has immunity to poison, magic sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, stunning, and mind-affecting spells and abilities (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). It is not subject to extra damage from critical hits. |Stance: Hunter's Sense (scent)| Sheet |

Malus| AC 16 | Ini: 4 | BAB +3 | Hit Points: 41/42 | Size: Medium | Speed: 40 ft |

Malus smiles and nods "That's what I had in mind. Let's show it to the rest of our companions and see what they think. I suggest Tavern, strange speaking Bard is there, and no doubt others will gather there too once done with baronet."

Tools of the Trade

Unarmed:

Actions/OOC

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

Island of Blades [O]

Stance of Clarity [X]

Burning Blade [O]

Mighty Throw [O]

Stone Bones [X]

Sudden Leap [X]

Wolf Fang Strike [X]

Shadow Jaunt [O]

OOC:

(( So are the Booth and Malus, and the Kethar and Kaldakaczil/Gawain groups heading to the tavern, or are you stopping anywhere else first? If everyone is heading to the tavern, you arrive during the impromptu party Céibhfhionn has started. Feel free to react to that IC. ))

kaldakaczilhumansmall.png.f3ee92b6fb6570c90b2000575e3603cc.png

Character Sheet

Kaldakaczil (Dragon)
  Bite  +6 (1d8+3, x2)
Claws +4/+4 (1d6+1, x2)
Conditions Mage Armor

Human Form (Name Gawain)

Luca (Raven Familiar)
Male Neutral Animal 1, Level 3, Init +2, HP 21/21, Speed 10ft, Fly 40ft (average)
AC 15, Touch 14, Flat-footed 13, Fort 5, Ref 5, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 3   
  Claws +7 (1d2-5)
Abilities Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 6
Senses Low-Light Vision
Conditions

The paladin makes his way towards the tavern to meet up with everyone else, hoping at least that the other two understood the woman's words. Well, even if not the town guards should be more than able to direct them to where the rest of the troupe was.

He waits for the woman's show to finish, listening to the song idly while casting an amused grin at the use of magic to enhance the performance. When she wraps up, and the others return from their own scouting, Gawain would allow Kethar to explain the girl's condition, considering his expertise with matters of healing and the body, only adding in with a snippet that he believes the affliction she bares was likely placed by some sort of undead.

"Otherwise, the local merchant can give us the best description of the adventurers who've gone missing. I suggest we stop by on our way out of town towards the Citadel for supplies and what information he can provide, then make haste down the road to our destination. We likely won't make it before sunset, and it might not be the best idea to face some unknown undead threat without the grace of the sun high in the sky, but we can camp outside and begin first thing in the morning without the fatigue of a long march."

Malus and Booth get into the tavern little after others and situate themselves with them Malus aplauses with those who get cheered up by Bards song although his news is a lot less cheerful "We got more bad news and brought some of it here since we couldn't identify it. Maybe someone with knowledge in Alchemy, or poisons, or better knowledge about nature than what I and little one possess." He nods to Booth to unpacks their "gift"

"We examined the carcasses, wounds are odd to cite Booth "The cows died like they fell into some prickly bush, they are full oos round holes that inside have residue that we brought sample back. While the diameter and depth of wounds alone I doubt could kill a full-grown cow. This is the odd part, this residue looks like a plant sap and is poisonous and corrosive to Animals and Humans I just touched it, and..." he showed the tip of his finger where the skin already peeled in parts, although due to little exposure, it didn't go further than top layer and Malus got of with just some red rash on the tip of his right forefinger, likely to heal by morning.

"I figure if I got filled with half as many holes as that poor animal, even spikes just a finger deep pumping this corrosive stuff directly into tissue and bloodstream would be bad news. Deadly bad news. And I repeat what the little guy said, it was like a cow fell into it, but there were no tracks or spiky bushes, this thing seemingly grew out of the ground did its thing, and vanished. Baronet should put some kind of curfew until we return with more info. What did you find about the girl, did she frolic around the forest and odd rashes like this on my finger on her? Since I doubt we would be lucky and find a nice clean poke on her from the first."

"Anyone know some plant-based undead? Or Druid with such a bent? How many towns we can reach before the night, or might be safest to spend the night here and start in the morning?"

Tools of the Trade

Unarmed:

Actions/OOC

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

Island of Blades [O]

Stance of Clarity [X]

Burning Blade [O]

Mighty Throw [O]

Stone Bones [X]

Sudden Leap [X]

Wolf Fang Strike [X]

Shadow Jaunt [O]

OOC:

Céibhfhionn

spacer.pngAs her comrades arrive at the tavern, Céibhfhionn begins to wind down the party. She makes sure to end it on a high note, of course, as any performer worth the name would, before taking a dramatic bow and hopping off the stage to see what they've learned.

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2833416][B][SIZE=+1]Céibhfhionn[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Female CG Feytouched Bard 3||Feytouched 1/Crusader 1/Marshal 1, [B]Level[/B] 3, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 27/27, [B]Speed[/B] 30 ft. [B]AC[/B] 18, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 6, [B]Ref[/B] 6, [B]Will[/B] 4, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 2.5 [B] Rapier [/B] +2 (1d6, 18-20/x2) [B] Chain Shirt[/B], [B] Masterwork Buckler[/B] (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +3 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 11, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 19 [B]Condition[/B] None
Céibhfhionn
Female CG Feytouched Bard 3||Feytouched 1/Crusader 1/Marshal 1, Level 3, Init 3, HP 27/27, Speed 30 ft.
AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, Fort 6, Ref 6, Will 4, Base Attack Bonus 2.5
Rapier +2 (1d6, 18-20/x2)
Chain Shirt , Masterwork Buckler (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 11, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 19
Condition None
Current Condition

27/27 HP

Bardic Music: 3/3 uses remaining

• Inspire Courage +1
  • Inspire Competence
  • Mimicking Song
  • Fascinate
  • Bardic Knowledge
  • Motivate Dexterity Aura

Charm Person (Sp) 1/day (Caster Level 3, DC 14 Will)

felipe-bracioli-monk.jpg.801880d3559483d3787f017ce68115c6.jpgKethar follows Gawain to the Tavern and listens to the bard as she continues to play. As she finishes he claps appreciatively. As everyone gathers he speaks up, "So what found was a negative energy that was feeding off of the Baronet's daughter." he glances over at the paladin before he continues. "We believe that the negative energy is tied to some form of undead creature."

He listens as the others speak up but shakes his head in the negative when asked if the girl had any marks on her body. "I asked and was told that her skin was unblemished even in places you would not normally see." he glances at the specimen that they had gathered. "May I take a look please?" As he takes a hold of it he brings it close and sniffs it and looks at it closely and tries and determine if he recognized it.

He then sets the specimen on the table and to his eyes the translucent fox hops up on the table and envelops the specimen as Kethar's began to glow as he speaks softly and wave his hands above it to determine if this was some kind of PoisonCasting detect poison on the potion. Wisdom DC 20 can even determine what kind of poison it is..

Edited by darlis moonbeam (see edit history)
Name
Knowledge nature
1d20+4 9
Wis check DC 20
1d20+2 19

Ol' Boar Inn - The Party

As Céibhfhionn stops playing, the entire inn erupts in clapping and cheering. The show was probably the best performance most of them have ever seen, and it came at a great time for the scared and depressed people. They are grateful for the distraction from the situation they face.

Once the rest of her party is identified as being party of her group, the patrons and staff do what they can to be hospitable as possible. Clearing a table for the group and making way for them to walk through the busy tavern, and the party is met with drinks and food on the house.

Tree Sap Poison

Kethar studies the sample of the sap and is able to confirm it is in fact tree sap, and it is definitely poisonous. The poison just eats away at flesh and doesn't seem to have any other affects. He can feel the tiniest trace of negative energy but not enough to know if it is from the same source that plagues Olivia.

spacer.png

Character Sheet

Kaldakaczil (Dragon)
  Bite  +6 (1d8+3, x2)
Claws +4/+4 (1d6+1, x2)
Conditions Mage Armor

Human Form (Name Gawain)

Luca (Raven Familiar)
AC 15, Touch 14, Flat-footed 13, Fort 5, Ref 5, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 3   
  Claws +7 (1d2-5)
Abilities Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 6
Senses Low-Light Vision
Conditions

Gawain listened to what the others had to report, considering things for a moment before being interrupted by the bird in his pack squirming its way back out, peaking its black feathered head to demand some food, to which the paladin would flag a bar maid and request if there's any stale bread he could purchase for the bird to peck at, to at least keep Luca busy, rather than being disruptive.

Turning back to the question at hand, the dragon pretending to be human rubs his chin in thought again. "Well, there's the occasional talk of a druid that turns against civilization in zealous defense of unspoiled wilds, but even they would be more aligned with vital energies. A plant disposed undead..." Again he pauses for a moment, wracking through his mind from what he was taught, what he had learned, and what he had inherited from his ancestral memories. "There's some clerics and druids who turn to the worship of the Mistress of Disease, who is fond of poisonous plants. But I do not know if her worship extends to this plain. All I can say is that there's likely some being of intent behind it, the poor girl seems to be targeted deliberately for some reason. Whether that's to make her father suffer, to keep the priestess busy attending to her instead of dealing with the problem herself, or some other resentment, I cannot say."

While he ruminates, he mutters a silent prayer to be lent his god's divine sight as he looked over the sap, to see if there's a lingering trace of evil on the sap or not.

Edited by Amoren (see edit history)
Name
Knowledge: Religion
1d20+8 18
Knowledge: Nature
1d20+8 18

Ol' Boar Inn - The Party

As the party goes over the information they've gathered, a man approaches them. "Hello there. I'm CaronPretty sure his name is actually Garon, the module uses both spellings but Garon makes more sense as a name. But I already introduced him has Caron so I'm sticking with it. , the barkeep of this inn. Just stopping by the thank the lady for her show. The guests really liked it. But also," He points over to the original letter from the baronet. "Going by the way you all look, I'm guessing you are here for that then?" He shakes his head and continues, "This whole mess has everyone in a fright. First, people and livestock end up missing and dead, then the Hucrele kids and their party go missing, and now all of the farmers and homesteaders from the area show up and we've got to make room for them. The inn is full and I hear even the constable has bedrolls and cots set up in the jailhouse as a temporary housing." He leans over the table and puts both his hands on it. "Listen, I'm just the barkeep. But I'm also the barkeep. I hear stuff, lots of stories from drunken lips. I doubt there is a rumor in this town I don't know, so if you've got any questions, I can probably answer them to some extent or another."

Edit: Kaldakaczil's knowledge allows him to reasonably conclude either a crazed druid or a necromancer, or maybe a powerful intelligent undead as likely masterminds behind these incidents.