The Fallen's Rest Tavern - Application OOC

The Eyeball Kid

1 hour ago, Coruja said:

Quick question: are you okay with the background Continental Nobility found in the book Dungeons of Drakkenheim? I'll copy & paste the details here, but I can provide a printscreen if needed.

Edit rant: the dice don't like me. I'll go for point-buy stats.

Continental Nobility

Requirements: Any class except sorcerer, warlock, or wizard

You are the scion of a noble household. Whether you hail from Caspia, Elyria, or Westemär, the fall of Drakkenheim has either adversely impacted your family’s fortunes, or created a tantalizing opportunity to increase your political power and influence.

Skill Proficiencies: Two of the following: Persuasion, Athletics, History, or Intimidation.

Languages: Two of your choice.

Equipment: A signet ring or brooch bearing your family crest, a cape in the colours of your house, a set of fine clothes, and a pouch containing 25 gp.

Feature: Noble Confidence

During a short rest you can give an inspiring pep talk to a number of allies equal to your proficiency bonus. Once in the next 8 hours, each of those allies can roll 1d4 and add it to the result of a single attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.

I like Drakkenheim, I've even considered running it, but they do try to amp up their backgrounds a bit. Concentrationless Bless/Guidance for at least four people, even if it's a single use, possibly more than once a day, doesn't really feel in line with other background features.

You can certainly use the rest of the background and substitute another feature.

Or I'd let you forgo the bonus background feat and keep this feature along with another small bonus, maybe proficiency in Persuasion and Intimidation.

7 minutes ago, The Eyeball Kid said:

I think I've answered the questions asked of me. If I've forgotten something, remind me.

I did ask about how risky is it to build a character centered on the belt of str and then lose it "somehow". Say, I spend my lowest value in Str and "buy" the belt, and then Asmodeus cast "remove magic item" spell on me? Is that a thing? Do I face this risk or is it cool to go the belt path?

@Coruja It's a risk. Not specifically the "remove magic item" spell, but it's an object that isn't an integral part of your person, there's certainly always a possibility that it could somehow be taken from you. Theft or confiscation upon capture come to mind as mundane options and I'm sure there are non-mundane ones. Magic items can even be destroyed, it's just really hard.

Edit: I found the question and noticed you specifically asked about losing it in battle. That doesn't seem particularly likely.

@The Eyeball Kid Hm ... there's also the antimagic effect that temp nulls spells and itens. The eye of a beholder for example? That would be my downfall. I'll rethink the item and stat build. Thank you.

While on it, isn't there another type of shield anymore? All shields are the same and confers +2 to AC? I remember back in AD&D and D&D3.5 we had a lot of different shields. Buckles, shields and tower shields.

Can we also have the price for the Ring of Protection +2 ? It's also a rare item.

10 hours ago, The Eyeball Kid said:

1. I'm allowing those backgrounds. Normally I don't but I'm trying something different that I saw and allowing a bonus feat (subject to some restrictions I spelled out in the creation rules) for those backgrounds that don't receive such a feature. Silvery Barbs is fine.

2. If you're talking about the options from Tasha's, you can use those. Off the top of my head I can't think of one that gives additional spells though, so are you thinking of something else?

3. Yes, that would be one way of enumerating it.

4. I'll try to get to price checks tomorrow.

Thank you!

Clarification about Tasha's Optional Class Features. Can not find them in full in the open sources (obviously) but here are badly compiled examples: https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-MMBqdmAen3dxArbklgi

In the case of casters, it adds a few spells from Tasha or Xanathar (can post the table for Clerics if you wish).

3 hours ago, Coruja said:

Can we also have the price for the Ring of Protection +2 ? It's also a rare item.

5e doesn't have Ring of Protection +2 / +3 iirc.
Though with magic item creation in the DMG, I don't see any reason to not include it personally. Just make it Very Rare for +2 and Legendary for +3

10 hours ago, MidnightPoet said:

Hello. I would like a price check on the Rope of Entanglement, and whether or not I can use it as part of an attack action.

Also, Molten Bronze Skin (Rare Half-Plate) from Mythic Odyssey of Theros.

You can use it in combat, per its description you have to be holding one end though, so you'd have to have a hand free.

6 hours ago, Coruja said:

@The Eyeball Kid Hm ... there's also the antimagic effect that temp nulls spells and itens. The eye of a beholder for example? That would be my downfall. I'll rethink the item and stat build. Thank you.

While on it, isn't there another type of shield anymore? All shields are the same and confers +2 to AC? I remember back in AD&D and D&D3.5 we had a lot of different shields. Buckles, shields and tower shields.

As far as I can tell Essence is correct and there is no official Ring of Protection +2. I don't really have a problem with creating one, but the Ring of Protection is already a rare item so this would very rare. You could take it as one of your free items.

5e does seem to have simplified the shield. If you want a buckler I'll allow it. Call it 5gp, +1 to AC, and it can be donned or doffed as easily as drawing or stowing a weapon. Not sure I want to mess with the tower shield.

6 hours ago, Dixi said:

Thank you!

Clarification about Tasha's Optional Class Features. Can not find them in full in the open sources (obviously) but here are badly compiled examples: https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-MMBqdmAen3dxArbklgi

In the case of casters, it adds a few spells from Tasha or Xanathar (can post the table for Clerics if you wish).

Ah. If you were referring to the spells and items introduced in those books then, yes, they're allowed.

@The Eyeball Kid Build question....if a rogue has a familiar, is it possible for the familiar to provide help and thus give the rogue advantage? By RAW it looks as though the familiar rolls it's own initiative, so would the rogue have to hold their action until then...is that allowed? Or could the familiar act at the same time as the rogue, like the Beast Master's creature?

I've got this idea in my head of a Raven familiar, sent from the Raven Queen herself, perched on the shoulder of my Shadar-kai Rogue...it ties him to his Hexblade patron and ties his soul back to the Queen as he tries to recover the soul of his true love from Asmodeus.

22 minutes ago, MysteriousMiller said:

@The Eyeball Kid Build question....if a rogue has a familiar, is it possible for the familiar to provide help and thus give the rogue advantage? By RAW it looks as though the familiar rolls it's own initiative, so would the rogue have to hold their action until then...is that allowed? Or could the familiar act at the same time as the rogue, like the Beast Master's creature?

I've got this idea in my head of a Raven familiar, sent from the Raven Queen herself, perched on the shoulder of my Shadar-kai Rogue...it ties him to his Hexblade patron and ties his soul back to the Queen as he tries to recover the soul of his true love from Asmodeus.

The familiar acts on its own initiative. On your turn you could ready an action to attack on its turn (which would use your reaction) and it could grant you the Help action and thus advantage. It might do weird things with your bonus action since that would still have to be done on your turn.