Interlude - Enter the Resurgence (IC)

Malkavian Grin

spacer.pngAs the Banshee screamed into hyperspace, the captain's voice came over the comms. "Alright folks, looks like there's a few more of you here than who I dropped off. Gonna need to know what's going on with that. But for those in the know, we're not headed back to base. Instead, I've been told to get you to another starship in the Zandrax System. Don't worry, all the dotted lines have been signed already."

The crew settled in, with ex-Admiral Varth put into a secure cell that was barely big enough to lie down in. He was, after all, still an unknown actor. Remy followed through on Shade's request to be put under until he could be prepped for surgery. Sirona would inform them that the Banshee wasn't equipped for that kind of thing, but the place they were headed probably would.

spacer.pngAfter a mere handful of hours in hyperspace, the team found themselves in the uninhabited Zandrax System in the far reaches of the "north-eastern" Outer-Rim. Coming into view was a Nebulon-B frigate, the Resurgence. It seemed to be brand new to the eyes of any mechanic or flight-connoisseur.

The Banshee flew gracefully into one of the frigate's many docking bays, allowing everyone to exit. As the ship landed and the ramp lowered, anyone exiting would find themselves greeted by not only an Alderaanian security force sixteen strong, but also by a tall, slender man with long, jet-black hair and a finely-trimmed beard that framed his face.

spacer.png"Hello and welcome to the Resurgence. I'm Captain Adrian Verana. I believe you have someone for me to talk to?" he asked rhetorically as Gilder Varth was slowly touted out in front and down the ramp. He raised his arms and motioned to the docking bay. "I promise you, it's just as boring everywhere else as here," he added with a snicker.

As Varth was taken into custody by security and hauled away out of earshot, Adrian said, "Well, since our, uh, benefactor hasn't met all of you, only a few of you will find your accounts a thousand credits richer. For the rest of you I can make a call and see what I can do about some compensation."

The man waited casually, without security, for a response.

combat-medic-droid.png.94169ed1860ec579dfa48ad6f3bc35a5.png
EM-AI Medical Droid
Droid (1st Degree) Technician
HP 18/18, Condition Normal
Damage Threshold 12
Defences: Fort 12, Ref 13, Will 16
Force Points 5, Destiny Points 0

"Greetings Captain Verana, I am RM-AI, most sentients prefer to call me 'Remy', and our companion 'Shade' wishes to undergo a specific surgical procedure, it is my understanding that some information was comm'ed ahead, do you have a suitable medical bay, with which the procedure can be carried out?"

that's about as nice as Remy got to most introductions, brief and to the point.

OOC, Mechanics

Just how much money did we get again is exactly 1000cr?

and what can we spend it on, or upgrade here on the ship?

Events

RC-9738 "Shade"

Reflex 20 (FF 16) | Fort 15 | Will 15 | DT 15 | HP: 43/43 | Init: +3 | Perception: +8 | Features | Conditions

Shade had been rather twitchy as they got on the ship and took off, the base exploding in the background. He removed his helmet, and the words reverberated in his head. Good soldiers follow orders. The mission's done. Carry out - Suddenly, Remy's sedative needle hit him in the back of the neck, and he barely had time to utter a, "What-" before he was out and snoring on the floor of the ship.

This, naturally, meant that he was completely unconscious once they arrived on the Resurgence, and so had no idea what was going on as Remy sought to arrange a surgery for him.

OOC

twilekfemale-the-hutt-copyright-law.jpg.f40c84c575f69d6e6970a1a2ec1ab6cc.jpgSteel Nina

It was clear that Nina knew her way around small tramp freighters and their protocols. Despite her obvious attachment to chuk-chuq, she'd checked the rifle and stowed it in one of the security lockers just outside the cockpit, along with her ammo and the several grenades she'd picked up. She still wore the survival knife sheathed on her belt, and carried the concealed snap baton.

Her weapons secured, she moved to the cargo bay where she'd used the cargo tie-downs to secure her speeder bike. Sure, it was their speeder bike. Likely it would be sold and the profit divided among the entire group. That was only fair. But for the time being, she would think of the vehicle as her speeder bike.

After that, she spent most of the brief trip at Shade's side, helping Remy to care for the soldier. She did her best to stay out of the droids way. She was there mostly to provide a familiar face should Shade wake up--despite the droid's assurance that he would not.

She strolled to the cockpit when Banshee dropped out of hyperspace, marveling at the size of the frigate. She'd seen one years before, but not this close up. A medical frigate seemed like the right place to operate on Shade.

She had plenty of questions, but preferred to know only as little as the people in charge were willing to share. She kept her mouth shut and her eyes open. Clearly, she'd fallen in with some serious rebels. And they were smart enough not to take her to base--for which she was grateful. A trip to base would likely mean join or die. Whereas, a trip to some hidden frigate left other options open.

Aboard the frigate, Nina let those in the know do the talking. She was just the fifth wheel--or one of the fifth wheels. Although talk of a thousand credits got her mouth moving again. When the captain was done saying all the important stuff he needed to say to the actual saboteurs, she sidled up to him and spoke. "Nina Veldi, good to meet you and thank you captain. And yes, compensation would be most appreciated. Perhaps you might see about compensation by way of a coded credstick. Failing that, hard credits would be preferable."

She knew the disclosure would mark her as a fugitive, but she guessed they were going to find out sooner or later.

Edited by Wizard of the Coat (see edit history)

spacer.pngThe captain smirked. "Please, call me Adrian. Captain Verana is just too much for me--I'm just a guy, running a ship." He looked over at Shade on the fold-out gurney Remy had Shade on for maximum custody potential. "Yeah, I got the message and we have a room ready. We don't have state-of-the-art equipment but it'll do the job. Please, if you'll all follow me I'll take you to medical first and then show you to your permanent quarters. We'll have to get an oil bath installed for you, Remy--sorry about that. He your master or you just taking care of him?"

As the group, including Sirona and her droid Crash, began to walk with the captain, Nina spoke her peace with him. "Nina Veldi. I'll remember that name. You don't strike me as a... hmm, I hope this doesn't sound bad but... a typical Twi'lek if you catch me? You've seen some druk. We should swap stories sometime. Over some great bourbon I got from a job on Nar Shadda. Yeah?" He smiled coyly.

"Oh yeah, I can't do a credstick but hard chits I can do. I'll have it sent to each of your rooms. Medical is just up this way."

Tetra Terrabreaker

Tetra Terrabreaker

"Once I'm old and retired, all of this is going in my memoirs. From when I arrived at that space station to whenever this is over..." Tetra shook his head, "No one will believe it." He stroked his chin, thinking about how long it may last, "This could become an autobiography."

twilekfemale-the-hutt-copyright-law.jpg.f40c84c575f69d6e6970a1a2ec1ab6cc.jpgSteel Nina Twi'lek Backwater Bounty Hunter

Perception +7 | Low-light VisionTwi'leks ignore Concealment (but not Total Concealment) from darkness. | Basic, Ryl, Huttese, Bocce | Persuasion +3 | Deception +8 | Gather Information +8 | DeceptiveNaturally gifted at manipulation, a Twi'lek may choose to reroll any Deception check, but the result of the reroll must be accepted, even if it is worse. | SeducerYou excel at seduction through deception. If you fail a Persuasion check to change a target's Attitude, you can immediately reroll the check using your Deception skill in lieu of your Persuasion skill. You must accept the result of the reroll, even if it is worse. |

Fort 18 | Ref 17 | Will 15 | HP 41/41 | DT 18 | CT 0 -1-1 Penalty to all Defenses; -1 Penalty on Attacks, Ability Checks, and Skill Checks -2-2 Penalty to all Defenses; -1 Penalty on Attacks, Ability Checks, and Skill Checks -5-5 Penalty to all Defenses; -1 Penalty on Attacks, Ability Checks, and Skill Checks -10Move at half speed; -10 Penalty to all Defenses; -10 Penalty on Attacks, Ability Checks, and Skill Checks HHelpless (unconscious or disabled) | FP 5/5 | Sport HunterYou are skilled in the use of slugthrowers and sporting weapons and gain certain benefits depending on which weapon you use.

Prerequisites: Weapon Proficiency (Pistols) or Weapon Proficiency (Rifles)

Effect: When you make a ranged attack with a slugthrower or sporting weapon with which you are proficient, you gain one of the following benefits, depending on the kind of weapon you use.

>Slugthrower Pistol: When you use a Slugthrower Pistol at Point-Blank Range, you deal +1 die of damage with the weapon.
>Slugthrower Rifle: When you use a Slugthrower Rifle, the damage dice increase from d8 to d12.
>Sporting Blaster Pistol: When you use a Sporting Blaster Pistol, reroll any result of 1 on the damage dice until you get a result other than 1.
>Sporting Blaster Rifle: When using a Sporting Blaster Rifle, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls when you Aim before firing.
| Hidden AttackerPrerequisite: Trained in Stealth

Your shots seem to come from nowhere. Whenever you use the Snipe application of the Stealth skill, you do so as a Swift Action instead of a Move Action.
| PB ShotYou are skilled at making well-placed shots with ranged weapons at Point-Blank Range.

Effect: You get a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons against opponents within Point-Blank Range.

Special: This Feat works normally with Vehicle Weapons. However, if you are using a Missile or a Torpedo and you miss with your attack roll, the projectile does not gain the benefit of this Feat for the second attack roll.
| Dastardly StrikeWhenever you make a successful attack against an opponent that is denied its Dexterity bonus to Reflex Defense, the target moves -1 step along the Condition Track. This Talent can be used only against characters, not objects or Vehicles. | Precise ShotYou are skilled at timing your ranged attacks so that you don't hit your ally by mistake.

Prerequisite: Point-Blank Shot

Effect: You can shoot or Throw a ranged weapon at an opponent engaged in melee combat with one or more of your allies without taking the standard -5 penalty.

Special: If another Vehicle fires into a Dogfight, it takes a -5 penalty on its attack roll, unless the Gunner has the Precise Shot feat.
|

When the captain more-than-returned Nina's attention, she seemed nonplussed, as if accustomed to such invitations and overtures--even from people in positions of power, such as the captain of a clandestine operations frigate.

"Thank you, Adrian," Nina replied, reaching out and touching the human's forearm in a subtle but intimate gesture of gratitude. The twi'lek's pronunciation of the captain's name conveyed casual familiarity, as if they'd known each other for years. "Hard chits are most appreciated. And I wouldn't turn down a high-quality bourbon, or the story of how you ended up on the smuggler's moon."

Her new traveling companions had yet to see this side of Nina. Somehow, since stepping onto the frigate, the twi'lek had grown more relaxed, her stride still catlike, but with more than a bit of sashay. And now, in response to the captain's attentions, the twi'lek had somehow switched on the charm--or rather, the allure. Not at all obvious or coquettish, but a hard-edged, sultry yet understated quality consistent with her confident, regal demeanor. Her steely gaze subtly receptive as she met the captain's eyes.

[URL=/sheets/?id=2606018][B][SIZE=+1]Zen Solen[/SIZE][/B][/URL] M Human Soldier [B]HP[/B] 48/48, [B]Condition[/B] Normal [B]Damage Threshold[/B] 13 [B]Defenses: Fort[/B] 13, [B]Ref[/B] 16, [B]Will[/B] 12
Zen Solen
M Human Soldier
HP 48/48, Condition Normal
Damage Threshold 13
Defenses: Fort 13, Ref 16, Will 12
Zen wandering the ship

Zen made his way aboard the ship keeping to himself. He had helped carry supplies and placed them away, though when that was done he managed to find himself with not much else to do. So he did the only thing he could think of and looked for Tetra. "Hey you wanna spare a bit and share some knowledge?" He asked Tetra as he struck a few basic fighting poses with a smirk.

Edited by Essex (see edit history)

Tetra Terrabreaker

Tetra Terrabreaker

Zen caught Tetra on one knee, unloading the last bulky item. He looked up and blinked a few times at Zen, processing what had just been asked, "I must be doing something right. Unlike the other one, you really haven't given me a hard time about not using a blaster."

spacer.pngA warm smile overtook Adrian's face. "Great, that sounds like a plan, I'll swing by later when I'm free again," he replied to Nina. He had an easy energy about him; experienced and confident but calm about it all. The small scars on his face spoke of perhaps not so calm beginnings given how old they seemed.

Turning to Tetra, the captain said, "Auto-biography huh? Make sure I get a copy. Can't wait to read up about the guy that doesn't use a blaster if I'm hearing correctly?" His tone was more impressed than doubtful, as was his body language.

After a few minutes the group had made their way to medical where Remy and Shade could get started on the operation. Besides a small team of trusted nurses and another, less sophisticated medical droid, no one else would be allowed inside during the procedure.

The next stop was the crew quarters in the center of the ship. A nearby elevator could conveniently deliver personnel to whatever deck they needed. Opposite the elevator was a dining area that seemed like a good place to just sit and hang out, as indicated by the couple of crewman there having themselves a laugh about something.

The rooms themselves were of a moderate size and furnished with a bed, small table and two chairs, personal refresher, a computer terminal and desk, a large mirror, and a too-small closet. Each was lockable with either a code or a coin-sized fob remote.

"Alright, that is unfortunately the end of the tour. I'm sure I've got a stack of stuff to go through by the time I get back. Don't worry, we'll all speak again soon. For now, just get comfortable. You all look like you need a break. Uh, no offense," he said, smiling awkwardly. He turned and would walk off unless stopped.

OOC

Okay so this is the official down-time portion. Finish leveling up and show off some training montage or something if you want. Whatever you want to RP is good with me, I'm not trying to force anyone. :) You can consider having probably a full week off before the next story beat happens.

@8w_gremlin @Phntm888 you guys can work out how to post your surgery (no rolls needed, you succeed) in however much detail (not gore) you'd like.

Once everyone is satisfied with this story beat I'll take us to the next one.

EM-AI Medical Droid
Damage Threshold 12

In the dimly lit confines of the medical bay. The room is a stark contrast to the cold, sterile environments of Imperial facilities, filled instead with the hum of machinery and the soft glow of monitors. Tables laden with surgical instruments and advanced droid tools line the walls, ready for REMY's skilled manipulators. At the centre lies SHADE. Above him, articulated arms equipped with precision tools hover, controlled by REMY's deft programming.

REMY, with his chassis dented, smashed but somehow gleaming under the overhead lights, moves with a purpose, his sensors focused on the small, yet significant, inhibitor chip embedded in Shade's brain. "This procedure requires precision and care," REMY vocalizes, his voice modulated to convey reassurance, despite his lack of true emotion. Inside his advanced circuitry, REMY processes thousands of calculations per second, anticipating the complexities of human anatomy juxtaposed with the rigidity of programmed instructions. "Stay still, Commander Shade. Initiating extraction sequence," he announces, his manipulators steadying as they approach Shade's skull.

As REMY delicately navigates the layers of tissue and bone, his internal processors work overtime. He contemplates the irony of his existence—a machine designed to save lives, now tasked with removing a device implanted to control and destroy. The inhibitor chip, a dark symbol of betrayal and manipulation, sits embedded near vital neural pathways. REMY's tools, guided by steady, unfeeling hands, work around these areas with meticulous care, ensuring not to damage the essence of what makes Shade, Shade.

The room falls into a tense silence, broken only by the occasional beep of monitors and the soft whir of REMY's servos. SHADE, under mild sedation, remains eerily still, his fate hanging in the balance. REMY, however, is undeterred by such pressures. In his database, failure is not an option; every movement is calculated, every outcome predicted. Yet, within his advanced programming, a flicker of curiosity stirs—what will become of SHADE and his brethren once freed from their chains? This thought, though fleeting, represents a glitch in REMY's otherwise impassive logic.

Finally, with a soft click, the chip is extracted. REMY places it in a containment unit, its sinister purpose neutralized. "Procedure complete. The chip has been successfully removed," REMY announces, his voice void of triumph or relief. As Shade slowly regains consciousness, free from the invisible shackles that once bound him, REMY can't help but process a new variable—hope. In this moment, as the droid observes Shade's first breaths of true freedom, REMY experiences a rare error in his programming, one that feels strangely akin to satisfaction. For a droid designed to heal, perhaps this is the closest approximation to feeling alive.

Events

RC-9738 "Shade"

Reflex 20 (FF 16) | Fort 15 | Will 15 | DT 15 | HP: 43/43 | Init: +3 | Perception: +8 | Features | Conditions

Shade stirred as the sedation began wearing off, groaning as his eyes slowly blinked in the sudden look of the lights. Focusing, he saw Remy, standing above him. Alright, Shade. You're in an unfamiliar area, but Remy's here, so it can't be that bad. Why does my head hurt? Reaching up, he touched the side of his head, feeling gauze there. Suddenly, he realized something was missing. The voice. It's gone. I can't hear the voice anymore. Is it... Focusing on Remy, he asked, "Where are we? Did you remove the chip?"

OOC

twilekfemale-the-hutt-copyright-law.jpg.f40c84c575f69d6e6970a1a2ec1ab6cc.jpgSteel Nina Twi'lek Backwater Bounty Hunter

Perception +7 | Low-light VisionTwi'leks ignore Concealment (but not Total Concealment) from darkness. | Basic, Ryl, Huttese, Bocce | Persuasion +3 | Deception +8 | Gather Information +8 | DeceptiveNaturally gifted at manipulation, a Twi'lek may choose to reroll any Deception check, but the result of the reroll must be accepted, even if it is worse. | SeducerYou excel at seduction through deception. If you fail a Persuasion check to change a target's Attitude, you can immediately reroll the check using your Deception skill in lieu of your Persuasion skill. You must accept the result of the reroll, even if it is worse. |

Fort 18 | Ref 17 | Will 15 | HP 41/41 | DT 18 | CT 0 -1-1 Penalty to all Defenses; -1 Penalty on Attacks, Ability Checks, and Skill Checks -2-2 Penalty to all Defenses; -1 Penalty on Attacks, Ability Checks, and Skill Checks -5-5 Penalty to all Defenses; -1 Penalty on Attacks, Ability Checks, and Skill Checks -10Move at half speed; -10 Penalty to all Defenses; -10 Penalty on Attacks, Ability Checks, and Skill Checks HHelpless (unconscious or disabled) | FP 5/5 | Sport HunterYou are skilled in the use of slugthrowers and sporting weapons and gain certain benefits depending on which weapon you use.

Effect: When you make a ranged attack with a slugthrower or sporting weapon with which you are proficient, you gain one of the following benefits, depending on the kind of weapon you use.

>Slugthrower Pistol: When you use a Slugthrower Pistol at Point-Blank Range, you deal +1 die of damage with the weapon.
>Slugthrower Rifle: When you use a Slugthrower Rifle, the damage dice increase from d8 to d12.
>Sporting Blaster Pistol: When you use a Sporting Blaster Pistol, reroll any result of 1 on the damage dice until you get a result other than 1.
>Sporting Blaster Rifle: When using a Sporting Blaster Rifle, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls when you Aim before firing.

Your shots seem to come from nowhere. Whenever you use the Snipe application of the Stealth skill, you do so as a Swift Action instead of a Move Action.
| PB ShotYou are skilled at making well-placed shots with ranged weapons at Point-Blank Range.

Effect: You get a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons against opponents within Point-Blank Range.

Special: This Feat works normally with Vehicle Weapons. However, if you are using a Missile or a Torpedo and you miss with your attack roll, the projectile does not gain the benefit of this Feat for the second attack roll.
| Dastardly StrikeWhenever you make a successful attack against an opponent that is denied its Dexterity bonus to Reflex Defense, the target moves -1 step along the Condition Track. This Talent can be used only against characters, not objects or Vehicles. | Precise ShotYou are skilled at timing your ranged attacks so that you don't hit your ally by mistake.

Effect: You can shoot or Throw a ranged weapon at an opponent engaged in melee combat with one or more of your allies without taking the standard -5 penalty.

Special: If another Vehicle fires into a Dogfight, it takes a -5 penalty on its attack roll, unless the Gunner has the Precise Shot feat.
|

Along the tour, Nina's training kicked in: she scanned her surroundings like any newb, but beneath the lookyloo act she memorized layouts and sight lines, noted cameras and other security measures, counted personnel, noting species and sex--she was particularly interested in determining how rare twi'leks were aboard the frigate--as well as weapons carried and armor worn. She felt somewhat naked without chuqchuk, but figured these rebels had her if they wanted her. She doubted her ability to escape if she tried.

Once the tour ended, Nina made her way back to the medical bay. At the entrance, she was turned away by an assistant. She understood the explanation, but felt frustrated just the same. She waited out in the hall, watching the procedure through a transparisteel observation window. The procedure was long and a bit boring--she couldn't really see details--but eventually ended, and she was allowed admittance to the medical bay.

She stepped into the room in time to hear Shade's question; but it had been directed to Remy, so she looked to the droid as she stepped to Shade's bedside.

EM-AI Medical Droid
Damage Threshold 12

"The chip has been successfully removed, and your chances of a full recovery are well above initial calculations, they certainly made you a resilient bunch." There seems to be a touch of admiration in Remy's vocabulator, not for the skill of the clone creators but more for the resistance of the clones themselves.

Remy turns and retrieves the box "Would you like to have the extracted chip? Some creatures find solice in keeping them as a memento" A smaller arm extends from Remy's torso, one that you had never seen before.
"take two of these and see me in the morning" the small arm has two little, yellow, different, tablets in its hand.

|

The twi'lek addressed the droid with genuine gratitude for his work, "Thank you, Remy." She wanted to say more, but decided to wait until she'd had a chance to speak privately with the droid. Get to know him--it?--better.

She turned her attention to Shade. "So, how do you feel?"