Jump to content

The Big House


Starhawk

Recommended Posts

Acting on the suggestion of Torren, everyone else electing to be silent, obscure as to their next step, or trying to pick up pretty blondes, the company finds themselves outside the main building of the abandoned settlement.

The building itself appears to be built from the thick timbers of some large ship, with less weathered thinner planks serving as the main cladding, over some inner structure. One external beam, holding up the second floor, has a name carved into it.. Hell Clipper, a name suggestive of the ship's origin. The windows are shuttered, each heavy wooden shutter being built into heavy wooden frames with no external visible on the outside. The windows looking out, metaphorically speaking, from heavily slanted rooftop, are similarly shuttered closed. There are weapon gouges, and the embedded heads of arrows, bolt and javelins all around the main doors and around the windows. Some of the wooden cladding looks scorched, in other places discoloured as from acid. Currently the building seems shut tight, as it doubtless was when the place was attacked.

The main door is composed of beams, with no external lock or handle. At head height for a male human is a small viewing hatch, which is closed at the current time.

@dhemon @Rakle @Penchant @Terran @Rudra @dtspurrier

 @Eborne1 @Alterangel

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.jpeg.daf47091ca139150e649f574d51f83e0.jpeg

Heva

AC17, HP28/28, F+4, R+5, W+4, Init +6, Song 6/10. 1st:0/4.  Dex Dmg 3 (-1 to modifer)

 

AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 4, Ref 5, Will 4, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 2

mw longbow comp. (+1 str) +7 (d8+1, x3)

cestus +6 (1d4+1, 19-20x2) mithral chainshirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex)

Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 17 Condition None

Skills: +11 disable device;+10 sing(sense motive, bluff),diplo; +8: acro,escape,UMD, Ride; +7animal;+5appraise,climb,swim, perc, know(D,E,L,N)Ling

 


Heva looks at the two story long house. "Anyone have a knotted rope and grappling hook on them? We can have someone climb up, and pry open one of the second floor shutters. Then we can take a peek inside before opening front door." If any undead try to jump out of the window, they take a hard tumble.

While still look at the building, she adds. "I'm a decent climber".

 


Action

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.jpeg.d2a8e07a33a39020c39594fe43fa14dc.jpeg Torren Grimstad

AC 23 (AC 21 Greatsword) HP 39/39, Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +1, Init +1

Male NG Human Fighter

Level 3 Init 1 HP 39/39 Speed 20
AC 23 (21 Greatsword) Touch 12 Flat-footed 21 (19 Greatsword) CMD 20 Fort 5 Ref 2 Will 1 CMB +8 Base Attack Bonus 3   
Great sword, Masterwork 10 (1d10+7, 19-20/x2)
Longsword 9 (1d8+5, 19-20/x2)
20 Str Composite Long bow 4 (1d8+5, 20/x3)
F. Plate/Hvy Steel Shield +9 Armor +2 Shield +1 Dex +1 Dodge

Str 20 Dex 13 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 10 Cha 8

Condition None 

Torren looks at the building with a deepening sense of dread, "I get the feeling that this might be a village of shipwreck survivors. It's made of salvaged ship parts. Hell, they might all have been flotsam." He looks at Heva when she asked, "Yeah, as a matter of fact, I do." He rustles around in his pack and comes out with a length of rope and a grappling hook. "I'm a decent climber too. Just a necessary skill in my line of work. I can follow you up there."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

spacer.pngEdwin Arcadia

AC13 HP 27/27 Fort 4 Ref 4 Will 4 Init +6 Perception +2(alertness,familiar +12)

Edwin Arcadia
M   human wizard, Level 3, Init 6, HP 27/27, Speed 30
AC 13, Touch 12, Flat-footed 11, CMD 12, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 4, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 1   
include alchemical reagent bonus Acid splash +3 (1d3+1, 20/x2)
masterwork Haramaki (+1 Armor, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 10
Condition: +2 trait bonus to will saves vs charm and compulsion
+2 racial bonus to survival checks to avoid getting lost 

 

Prepared spell

cantrips: acid splash, Prestidigitation, detect magic,dancing light

lvl 1: grease(used), mage armor,web bolt, ears of the city, (hydraulic push)(used)

lvl 2: create pitx2(used) (fog cloud)

wand of enlarge other charges: 49/50

School power uses: 7/8

Edwin is surprised to see the party abandon the haunt and move to the big house, he follow of course, safety in numbers

He begin examining the structure but see the others proceeding with their plan, curious and entertained by the idea he chose to stay silent, move back six yards and watch, both success and failure will be a worthy inclusion in his journal.

meanwhile he check for magical auras

 

action

Cast detect magic, will continue to sustain it and check the big house

 

Edited by Rudra (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Screenshot_20240115-091914.png.5932cf21a5dcfc501fd9e2bd3fd48260.pngScreenshot_20240115-091914.png.5932cf21a5dcfc501fd9e2bd3fd48260.pngEd Billings - Some Ranger Fella and his Trusty Hound Dog

AC: 18 [16] HP: 29/36 Fort: 6 Ref: 8[6] Will: 6 Init: Perception: 8

Zebediah Edvard Billings IV
Male NG Human Ranger Level 3, Init 4, HP 36/36, Speed 30, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 19, Fort 6, Ref 8, Will 6, 

CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 3

MW Composite Longbow (+2) 600gp (40x Arrows / 20x Incendiary Arrows) +9 (1d8+2, x3)
MW Longsword 315gp 8 (1d8+2, (19-20)x2)
Light Mace 5gp 8 (1d6+2, x2)
MW Chain Shirt (250gp) (+4 Armor, +4 Dex)
Abilities Str 15, Dex 18 [15], Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
Condition (-3 Dex)


Ed Billings tells his dog to sit outside and wait as the group approaches the large house. (Handle Animal = 14 )

He approaches the building, cautiously, drawing out his longsword with his right hand whilst keeping his bow held in his left.

As a couple of the others scramble up onto the overhang, Ed approaches the front door, listening carefully for any sounds coming from within. (Perception = 21 )

Ed pries a couple arrowheads from the front door. Continueing to listen, very carefully, he attempts to open the viewing hatch with the tip of his sword, keeping his face well clear of the opening, in case someone stands ready behind it with a crossbow.
 

OOC

 


ACTIONS 

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Full Round:

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)
Name
Handle Animal
14
d20+5 9
Perception to listen
21
d20+8 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edwin finds no magical auras, aside from the ones he's identified on others of the company. Heva and Torren get ready for the climb. Billings hears nothing from the other side of the door and then finds the door hatch as tightly secured as the door itself.

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.jpeg.d2a8e07a33a39020c39594fe43fa14dc.jpeg Torren Grimstad

AC 23 (AC 21 Greatsword) HP 39/39, Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +1, Init +1

Male NG Human Fighter

Level 3 Init 1 HP 39/39 Speed 20
AC 23 (21 Greatsword) Touch 12 Flat-footed 21 (19 Greatsword) CMD 20 Fort 5 Ref 2 Will 1 CMB +8 Base Attack Bonus 3   
Great sword, Masterwork 10 (1d10+7, 19-20/x2)
Longsword 9 (1d8+5, 19-20/x2)
20 Str Composite Long bow 4 (1d8+5, 20/x3)
F. Plate/Hvy Steel Shield +9 Armor +2 Shield +1 Dex +1 Dodge

Str 20 Dex 13 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 10 Cha 8

Condition None 

Torren does his best to catch a window ledge with the grappling hook. When successful, he makes the climb bracing his feet on the side of the building.

Name
Climb
9
1d20+6 3
Roll to grapnel
17
1d20+4 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

spacer.pngFather Raziel de' Fatale

AC1 HP 23/27 Fort 4 Ref 2 Will 7 Init 0 Perception 6

Level 3 Init 0 HP 23/27 DR - Spd 30 ft.
AC 16/17 (melee/ranged) Touch 10 FF 16/17 CMD 1 Fort Ref 2 Will 7 CMB +4 BAB 2 Power Points 0/0 Action Pts 0
MW Morning Star +5 (1d8+3, x2)
Composite Long Bow +2 (1d8+2, x3)
Sickle +4 (1d6+3, x2)
Mithril Chain Shirt, Darkwood Buckler (+4 Armor, +1 Shield)
Str 14 Dex 10 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 19 Cha 16
Condition Normal

 

CLERIC CHANNEL ENERGY

Channel Energy 7 times per day (1/7)

DAILY DOMAIN POWERS

Animal Domain (Insect) - Exoskeleton 7 times per day (2/7)

Plant Domain (Leshy Caller) - Grant +4 sacred bonus Leshy's next attack 7 times per day (7/7)

DAILY SPELLS

0 LEVEL: Create Water, Guidance, Resistance and Stabilize

1st LEVEL: Calm Animals (Domain) 1/1, Cause Fear 1/1, Endure Elements 0/1, Shield of Faith 1/1

2nd LEVEL: Hold Animal (Domain) 1/1, Defending Bone 0/1, Spiritual Weapon 0/1

MAGIC ITEMS

Cure Light Wounds Wand (41/50 Charges) 1d8+1

Father de' Fatale was loathe to leave the chapel without investigating the structure, even though it's likely that the place was emptied of undead given their predilection for mobbing any creature who still have the essence of life in their being.

Instead, after seeing a mounted warrior attempting to heal the wounds inflicted on his horse without much effect, Raziel slowly approaches and says in a light voice, "Greetings. I'm Father Raziel de' Fatale. I'm pretty good with animals. With your permission, I would like to treat the equine's wounds."

Assuming consent is given, the holy man will carefully approach the wounded animal and softly "Coo" as he reaches out his hand for the beast to smell while waiting for the horse to signal it is willing to allow his touch. Thereafter, Raziel will lightly stroke the creature's face as he examines the animal and develops a working repour.

Next, the Priest of Erastil will keep his left hand on the horse while twice using the curative wand in his other hand to heal the worst of the beast's injuries reducing the stress and pain on the animal and restoring it to good health saying, "There now, that's much better."

Thereafter, Raziel will focus on the massive noble house which Torren suggested that the group investigate next, which makes sense given its size, its likelihood to contain information or maps that might help the group determine their approximate location, its probability of being full of undead and highly dangerous, along with its usefulness to the entire group once it's cleared and safe to occupy.

However, the minister has no climbing skills or equipment, he cannot pick the locks of the doors, nor is he resigned to bash his way into the structure at this point, and instead will draw and load his light crossbow while relying upon his newfound colleagues to gain such access as he mentally contemplates any historical meaning of the name, 'Hell Clipper.'

Actions for the round

Free: Speak

Swift:

Move: As shown on map

Move Action:

Standard: Cast Cure Light Wounds from wand twice on Horse

Immediate:

CONTINUING EFFECTS: None

Edited by Terran (see edit history)
Name
Handle Animal (Animal Domain Priest)
14
1d20+4 10
Cure Light Wounds Wand on Horse
2
1d8+1 1
Cure Light Wounds on Horse
5
1d8+1 4
Knowledge History - Hell Clipper
17
1d20+7 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.jpeg.daf47091ca139150e649f574d51f83e0.jpeg

Heva

AC17, HP28/28, F+4, R+5, W+4, Init +6, Song 6/10. 1st:0/4.  Dex Dmg 3 (-1 to modifer)

 

AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 4, Ref 5, Will 4, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 2

mw longbow comp. (+1 str) +7 (d8+1, x3)

cestus +6 (1d4+1, 19-20x2) mithral chainshirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex)

Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 17 Condition None

Skills: +11 disable device;+10 sing(sense motive, bluff),diplo; +8: acro,escape,UMD, Ride; +7animal;+5appraise,climb,swim, perc, know(D,E,L,N)Ling

 


As soon as the grappling hook latches onto the roof, Heva grab onto the rope and climbs up to second floor window. Once she is next to the closed shutter, she will examine it to see if there is an easy way to quietly open the window.

 

 


Action

take 10 for 15 on climb

Exam the window covering:

take 10 for a 15 on knowledge engineering, or disable device 21 with a take 10

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

spacer.pngTheodmer Naejor
Spell Slots | Spells Prepared | AR : 3/9 | Active Effects

AC 14 HP 21/21 Fort 3 Ref 5 Will 5 Init 3

%5BURL%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.myth-weavers.com%2Fsheet.html%23id%3D2868783%5D%5BB%5D%5BSIZE%3D%2B1%5DTheodmer%20Naejor%5B%2FSIZE%5D%5B%2FB%5D%5B%2FURL%5D%0AM%20N%20Elf%20Arcanist%20(Occultist)%2C%20%5BB%5DLevel%5B%2FB%5D%203%2C%20%5BB%5DInit%5B%2FB%5D%203%2C%20%5BB%5DHP%5B%2FB%5D%2021%2F21%2C%20%5BB%5DSpeed%5B%2FB%5D%2030%0A%5BB%5DAC%5B%2FB%5D%2014%2C%20%5BB%5DTouch%5B%2FB%5D%2013%2C%20%5BB%5DFlat-footed%5B%2FB%5D%2011%2C%20%5BB%5DCMD%5B%2Fb%5D%2014%2C%20%5BB%5DFort%5B%2FB%5D%203%2C%20%5BB%5DRef%5B%2FB%5D%205%2C%20%5BB%5DWill%5B%2FB%5D%205%2C%20%5BB%5DCMB%5B%2FB%5D%20%2B1%2C%20%5BB%5DBase%20Attack%20Bonus%5B%2FB%5D%201%20%20%20%0A%5BB%5D%20%20Sickle%20%5B%2FB%5D%20%2B1%20(1d6%2C%20x2)%0A%5BB%5D%20%20Light%20Crossbow%20(30)%20%5B%2FB%5D%20%2B4%20(1d8%2C%2019-20x2)%0A%5BB%5D%20%20Silken%20Ceremonial%20Armor%5B%2FB%5D%20(%2B1%20Armor%2C%20%2B3%20Dex)%0A%5BB%5DAbilities%5B%2FB%5D%20Str%2011%2C%20Dex%2016%2C%20Con%2012%2C%20Int%2018%2C%20Wis%2012%2C%20Cha%2012%0A%5BB%5DCondition%5B%2FB%5D%20None%20
Theodmer Naejor
M N Elf Arcanist (Occultist), Level 3, Init 3, HP 21/21, Speed 30
AC 14, Touch 13, Flat-footed 11, CMD 14, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 5, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1
Sickle +1 (1d6, x2)
Light Crossbow (30) +4 (1d8, 19-20x2)
Silken Ceremonial Armor (+1 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 11, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 12
Condition None

Bison :
Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +8

Defense

AC 17, touch 9, flat-footed 17 (+8 natural, –1 size)
hp 42 (5d8+20)
Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +1

Offense

Speed 40 ft.
Melee gore +10 (2d6+12)
Space 10 ft., Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks stampede (see aurochs), trample (2d6+12, DC 20)

Statistics

Str 27, Dex 10, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 4
Base Atk +3; CMB +12; CMD 22 (26 vs. trip)
Feats Endurance, Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack
Skills Perception +8


Rejoining the others after his attempts to sort out some form of water for the crowd of survivors, Theodmer paused as he realized that there were a variety of methods of ingress being attempted. Leaving the others to such activities for a moment, the elf began slowly pacing around the outside, looking for any signs of an open or loose shutter, or anything that might be a sign of an easier way in.

 

Name
Perception
24
1d20+6 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

_28df7068-b62f-4180-bf91-271603c67a4d.jpeg.3e99c019217305eae354e52a07e24185.jpegCyl Wradom

AC 26, HP 33/33, Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 3

 

 

, Init 2, Perception 10

 

 

Male LN Half-Elf Fighter,

Level 3 Init 2 HP 33/33 Speed 20'
AC 26 Touch 12 FF 24 CMD 23 Fort 4, Ref 3 Will 3 (Enchantments 7)/(Fear 8) CMB +7 BAB 3

Fauchard +8 (1d10+6, 18-20/x2)  
MW Silversheen, Reach, Trip, Weaponcorded
Cestus +7 (1d4+4, 19-20/x2)
Javelin (1) +5 (1d6+4, x3)

Masterwork Full Plate, Darkwood Full Shield (+11 Armor, +3 Shield, +2 Dex)

Str 18 Dex 14 Con 12 Int 14 Wis 14 Cha 8

Condition None 

Cyl joined everyone at the front of the two story structure. He watched as a plan to scale the building was devised and enacted. He stood by the front door, next to the man who'd deftly shot arrows into the zombies they'd fought earlier.

"See anything in there?" he asked casually, watching as Ed looked into the viewing port. It was the first time the half-elf had spoken, and his voice was tinny and muffled by the visor in front of his face.

Actions & Intents

Move Action:

Standard Action:

Active Effects/Conditions:

Potential Actions

 

 

Held & Worn

Right Hand: Fauchard, masterwork, Silversheen
Left Hand: Shield, Darkwood, 
Worn: Full-Plate, +1, Masterwork 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Torren and Heva finding climbing up to the roof to be a simple task. Heva notes that the shutters are rather less secure up here, with gaps between the boards. This could be for many reasons, the effects of rain and wind being just one of them. One of the gaps allows the bar holding the shutter closed to be seen. Heva also gets a faint whiff of something foul, drafting out of a small gap. When she places her nose next to this gap, even the barely perceptible draft is sufficient to make her eyes water. Torren notes nothing out of the ordinary, only noting the gaps when Heva does. When Heva points out the odor, Torren, seemingly oblivious in Heva's estimation, senses nothing out of the ordinary. Heva trawls her memories as to what this odor signifies but comes back with nothing.

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)
Name
Heva Perception
24
1d20+5 19
Torren Perception
5
1d20 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heva

AC17, HP28/28, F+4, R+5, W+4, Init +6, Song 6/10. 1st:0/4.  Dex Dmg 3 (-1 to modifer)

 

AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 4, Ref 5, Will 4, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 2

mw longbow comp. (+1 str) +7 (d8+1, x3)

cestus +6 (1d4+1, 19-20x2) mithral chainshirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex)

Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 17 Condition None

Skills: +11 disable device;+10 sing(sense motive, bluff),diplo; +8: acro,escape,UMD, Ride; +7animal;+5appraise,climb,swim, perc, know(D,E,L,N)Ling

 


Hanging on a rope while messing with window, Heva just wasn't in the best position to think about monsters. Called down, she asks "Any undead or similar creatures that stink worse than skunks?". While waiting for response, she pulls out a flat piece of metal and pops the metal bar holding the shutter closed.

 

Action

disable device

 

 

image.jpeg

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)
Name
disable device
24
1d20+13 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heva notes the bar is stiff, perhaps the wood of the bar having swollen into a swollen bracket, but with some liberal application of leverage, the bar pops up. Thankfully, Heva has sufficient skill to stop the bar from thumping down into the loft space. The shutters opened, the odor that Heva alone detected is now stronger, to the extent that Torren is aware of the foulness and corruption of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

spacer.pngEdwin Arcadia

AC13 HP 27/27 Fort 4 Ref 4 Will 4 Init +6 Perception +2(alertness,familiar +12)

Edwin Arcadia
M   human wizard, Level 3, Init 6, HP 27/27, Speed 30
AC 13, Touch 12, Flat-footed 11, CMD 12, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 4, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 1   
include alchemical reagent bonus Acid splash +3 (1d3+1, 20/x2)
masterwork Haramaki (+1 Armor, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 10
Condition: +2 trait bonus to will saves vs charm and compulsion
+2 racial bonus to survival checks to avoid getting lost 

 

Prepared spell

cantrips: acid splash, Prestidigitation, detect magic,dancing light

lvl 1: grease(used), mage armor,web bolt, ears of the city, (hydraulic push)(used)

lvl 2: create pitx2(used) (fog cloud)

wand of enlarge other charges: 49/50

School power uses: 7/8

Edwin eyes go wide at Heva comment about smell "quickly, get away from there!" for once hoping to be wrong.

Visibly worried he move back some more"the house is locked from the inside, uncontrolled zombies lack the ability to do this, but survivors can, survivors can lock themselves.... and then die of ghoul fever and then rise as ghasts"

"let me send my familiar inside" He wait for them to get away and then send the ghostly bird to scout the inside of the house, should the critter die he can easily reconstruct it. If Heva and Torren decide to continue, he wont send the familiar.

 

Edited by Rudra (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...