Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Ch.2 - A Wretched Hive - Cato Neimoidia

STAR WARS: DAWN OF DEFIANCE
Episode II
A WRETCHED HIVE

Between the stars in the blackness of space, the Nebulon-B frigate Resurgence
floats silently away from the prying eyes of the Empire.

Meanwhile, the galaxy continues to sink further into darkness. Each day, remnants
of the Old Republic are crushed and a New Order is more firmly established.

Former Imperial Admiral Gilder Varth has provided Alderaanian agents
with vital information on secret projects, and even now events are in motion
to reveal the Empire’s misdeeds to the galaxy . . .

spacer.pngThe brand new Nebulon-B frigate Resurgence hung in empty space peacefully, as it had done so for the last several months. The ship held upwards of a thousand crew, though many had been relegated to light duty as the mission was stealth and not war.

Three weeks ago the Resurgence picked up new members of the slowly growing resistance movement. In that time the ragtag team had ingratiated themselves with the frigate and its crew. It had become like a second home as each were given full privacy within their personal quarters.

Just after a lunch cycle, the newly minted rebel team was summoned to the briefing room by Ship Officer Gilder Varth. The room was located near the bridge, requiring a transfer from the back portion of the ship to the front via mini-maglev train.

spacer.pngStepping inside the small theater, Gilder stood waiting at the far end of the room. Between himself and the team was a holoprojector. "Hello, yes, come in," he said as he looked up from a datapad, waving them in. His voice was amplified from the shape of the ceiling, allowing for easy carrying of voice. Sitting beside him was a yellow-and-black astromech, currently plugged into the computer siting beneath the projector.

As the team assembled, Gilder motioned to the bench seating which surrounded the holoprojector. "Please," he added. Looking over everyone's face, the old man cracked a small smile. He was all business, but a hint of kindness broke the surface every now and then. As everyone got comfortable seating or standing, said "Begin," to the astromech. The lights dimmed and the projector sprang to life with a familiar blue light. An image of a Hutt sprang up into the air.

Clearing his throat with a cough, Gilder launched into his spiel. "Before the Empire decided I was a liability for still feeling something, I was involved peripherally in a top-secret plan known as the Sarlacc Project. While I don't know specifics, I was tied to funneling large sums of credits and resources toward it. Whatever this Sarlacc Project is, it's taking up a lot of the Empire's time and effort. Worse still, this project is destroying thousands of lives... I know because casualty reports crossed my desk regularly."

Gilder sighed, continuing, "Unfortunately, I don't know much more. But, in my brief time rubbing elbows with those involved, I learned the Imperial Navy is hiding the Sarlacc project from the Senate by moving resources through secondary sources. Fake contractors in the Corporate Sector and shady scum in the criminal underworld. Someone knew what they were doing to hide a paper trail."

spacer.pngHere Gilder paused to make sure everyone was following along, and for any early questions. After a moment he continued, motioned to the projection, "As you might guess, one of these was him: Darga the Hutt. He's a slimy gangster who likes money, but loves power. Part of what I did was moved resources to Darga as well as arranging for Imperial agents to seize different resources from his organization. No credits were involved. I don't know what was being moved nor picked up. I know it's not much but this is all we have at the moment."

Taking a breath, he added, "Captain Verana has made me a ship officer with the task of spearheading information about the Sarlacc Project. He's also authorized me to give you missions related to such. That is, assuming you accept continuing being agents of Bail Organa." This last part held a rhetorical tone.

spacer.png"Next," Gilder said, the droid changing the projector to a visual of a planet. "We need you to travel here, Cato Neimoidia, and track down Darga the Hutt. Figure out a way to ingratiate yourself with him. No matter how you choose to, your goal is to learn what he's trading--both coming and going--as well as how it relates to the Sarlacc Project. Destinations, amounts, anything you can find out will be useful."

"Finished," he said to the droid. The projector turned off and the lights came up to normal brightness. "Before you ask, you'll be accompanied by Sirona Okeefe and the Banshee. Now, questions?"

OOC

You may make a Knowledge (Galactic Lore) check to learn about Cato Neimoidia. The higher your check, the more you learn (DC 10, 15, 20, etc.)

Tetra Terrabreaker

Tetra Terrabreaker

Tetra immediately recognized that the task was beyond his abilities. Upon being informed that they needed to infiltrate a hutt's gang and win over the boss, he was struck with skepticism. He knew that his only strengths were his physical prowess and piloting skills. As a result, he promptly turned to Steel Nina, the most qualified member of the team, to take charge of the operation.

Name
Galatic Lore
1d20+2 16

Events

RC-9738 "Shade"

Reflex 20 (FF 16) | Fort 15 | Will 15 | DT 15 | HP: 43/43 | Init: +3 | Perception: +8 | Force Points 6/6 | Destiny Points 3 | Features | Conditions

Even three weeks later, Shade still had a hard time believing he had his own room. He kept expecting to be assigned a room mate, at least, or else told they need the room for someone else and he'd have to bunk in with the rest of the crew. He was fine with either, but they just kept letting him have his own room. It was a bit unbelievable.

He'd spent most of the first week recovering from having the obedience chip taken out of his head - turns out brain surgery isn't something you can just do and then go about your business when it's over. During his recovery, he took the time to seek out and Jal and Tetra to try and better understand the two Jedi, and hopefully reassure them he wouldn't be a threat to them. They probably had very good reason for suspicion, after all, and it was bad for morale to be suspicious of your fellow soldiers. If you couldn't trust someone not to put a knife in your back in the middle of combat, you couldn't count on them when things got tough. He wanted to make sure they knew they could rely on him.

He'd also taken the time to shave off his beard and more neatly cut his hair, although it was still longer than regulation. Well, what used to be regulation. Maybe the longer than normal hair was his way of asserting some kind of newfound individuality? Still, he looked much more like a holo of a typical clone without the several weeks of jungle beard growth he'd had. Now, he walked into a briefing room, and found himself in a situation he was very comfortable with. He immediately took a bench and sat up straight, perfect military posture, ready for the briefing.

As Admiral Varth explained the mission to them, Shade observed the hologram of the Hutt. This was a very different kind of mission than he'd done during the Clone Wars. In those, "infiltration" usually meant "sneak into the Separatist base and blow something up, steal data, or sabotage something." You weren't trying to earn a clanker's trust, you were just avoiding their notice or ripping their head off before they could sound an alarm. Clones really weren't made for this kind of work. He'd have to follow someone's lead on this one. And maybe learn how to disguise myself, if we're going to be doing this regularly.

When Admiral Varth asked for questions, Shade raised his hand. "I know there was fighting on Cato Nemoidia at the end of the war. Do we know if there's still a garrison there, and how large it is?"

OOC

@Hades-666 and @zeone3000 I'd like to have that conversation with each of you in the Interlude thread as we go on.

combat-medic-droid.png.94169ed1860ec579dfa48ad6f3bc35a5.png
EM-AI Medical Droid
Droid (1st Degree) Technician
HP 26/26, Condition Normal
Damage Threshold 13
Defences: Fort 13, Ref 14, Will 17
Force Points 5 (1), Destiny Points 0
Lang: Basic, Binary, Bocce, Bothan,
Geonosian, Huttese

As Gilder outlines the mission, Remy's circuits hum with a quiet intensity, the complexity of infiltrating Darga the Hutt's operations on Cato Neimoidia running through his processors. "In what ways can my medical expertise and tactical analysis serve a mission deeply entrenched in the art of espionage?" he queries himself, analyzing his programming for adaptability in the shadowy world of the Hutt Cartel. The droid understands his design is versatile, yet the nuances of interacting with the galaxy's underbelly, especially a figure as notorious as Darga, pose a unique set of challenges. Remy contemplates the potential necessity for augmenting his programming with new subroutines for subterfuge and social manipulation, considering the mission's success might hinge on more than straightforward calculations and diagnostics.

Remy's tactical prime routines wake from their slumber and the tactical and analytical subroutines kick up a gear "I have questions"

"What known affiliations or interests does Darga the Hutt have that we might leverage to ingratiate ourselves with him? This information will assist in tailoring our approach to match his preferences and operations."

"What precautions are in place to ensure the team's safety and operational secrecy, especially considering the Hutt's notorious for their intelligence networks?"

"Is there any available data on how Darga's transactions might be linked to the Sarlacc Project? Understanding the nature of these dealings could provide insights into potential vulnerabilities or points of interest."

"What logistical support and resources will be available to us on Cato Neimoidia? Knowing our assets can help in planning our movements and interactions."

"How should we prioritize and handle the data collected, especially sensitive information that could expose our mission or jeopardize our position within Darga's organization?"

"What secure communication protocols will be in place for reporting findings and coordinating with Captain Verana and the rest of the team?"

Edited by 8w_gremlin (see edit history)

Status
Tetra Terrabreaker
Soldier 3
Destruction Destiny
HP 46/46 FP 6/6 DP 1/1
Init +2 Ref 17 DT 15
Nrm -1 -2 -5 -10 X
EM-A1 "Remy"
Technician 3
Crippled Background
HP 26/26 FP 7/6
Init +7 Ref 14 DT 13
Nrm -1 -2 -5 -10 X
Zen Solen
Soldier 3
Law Enforcement Background
HP 48/48 FP 6/6
Init +9 Ref 16 DT 13
Nrm -1 -2 -5 -10 X
RC-9738 "Shade"
Scout 1 / Soldier 2
Destruction Destiny
HP 43/43 FP 7/6 DP 1/1
Init +4 Ref 20 DT 16
Nrm -1 -2 -5 -10 X
Steel Nina
Scout 2 / Scoundrel 1
Nar Shadda Origin
HP 33/33 FP 6/6
Init +3 Ref 18 DT 17
Nrm -1 -2 -5 -10 X
Jal-Visas Frezi
Jedi 2 / Scoundrel 1
Rescue Destiny
HP 39/39 FP 6/6 DP 1/1
Init +2 Ref 16 DT 13
Nrm -1 -2 -5 -10 X
OOC

The Destruction and Rescue Destinies will activate for 24 hours, beginning when you reach Cato Neimoidia.

aqGuYEN.jpeg.ae009cff44dd8f8d55f769cd45e578d7.jpeg
Zen Solen
Soldier
HP 48/48, Condition Normal
Damage Threshold 13
Defences: Fort 13, Ref 16, Will 12
Force Points x, Destiny Points x

Zen had spent the past three weeks mingling with the crew. Mostly trying to make himself useful in anyway he could. If he wasn't helping the quarter master with arms then he was helping the flight crew with the star fighters. In his spare time he was in whatever passed for a cantina aboard the ship. A few days he had spent with some of the soldiers sparring and helping to run combat scenarios.

The days passed quickly for Zen and the nights passed faster. At least that is how it seemed today looking back as he waited for Gilder to start. He kept himself to the back of the room as usual watching the others as Gilder spoke. He wasn't sure how the rest of them felt about this mission but it was right up his alley. If anyone had taken a moment to glance at him he was more than likely smiling during the speech.

As the old man wrapped up the briefing he stayed silent as each member had their say. This time he only listened and did little to add anything to the conversation.

OOC Zen doesn't have galatic knowledge lore so I'm not sure if he would get a roll

Edited by Essex (see edit history)

spacer.pngGilder turned to address Shade first. "As I understand it, Cato Neimoidia was secured in the final hours of the war. When the troops exfiltrated there was no resistance left. The Empire eventually retook the planet so a garrison is likely, yes. But it was deemed low-value so you should find minimal Imperial presence, assuming you don't get violent."

Next, Gilder addressed Remy, but seemed confused or put off or amazed by the droid. He listened to the first question, then the next, then it became a barrage. "Whoever programmed you did an incredible job. Can't say I've met any medical droid that talks so... lifelike. So... human." He coughed into a fist and recomposed himself.

"Repeat first question," he said toward the floor. A moment later the astromech repeated Remy's words in binary. "Mmm," he said with a nod. "No. But Darga is a Hutt and they all seem addicted to wealth. Treat the slug like royalty, maybe he won't attack you. You could try a bribe. Next question."

Again the astromech repeated Remy's words with whirs, sweeps, and beeps. "That's where your skill comes into play. You're not green anymore. But we're hoping that a lack of any prior mission has kept us off their radar. Use that anonymity to your advantage. Next question."

To the third question Gilder replied, "I moved shipments of food, medicine, and weapons to Darga if my memory is correct. But when the trade happened it was all off the books. That's what I need you all to find out. I had no details beyond a shipping record and spreadsheet. I assume Darga is keeping what I sent, which means the real things we're after are what he's sending out. Next question."

"Ah," Gilder said, "as I said, Captain Okeefe has proven herself quite a capable pilot and thus has found herself on retainer. She will be your pilot and the Banshee will be at your disposal. If you need more weaponry, visit the quartermaster. What you take with you will be our only support. Next question."

Gilder nodded sharply. "Of course. Take any documentation you find. Datapads especially as they may contain invisible, encrypted files. Anything else simply download and bring it back. If you do not have a scomp link, go down to the workshop and tell them I want them to install one on you. If you must, upload the data to the holonet and delete the original--only do this if you absolutely must. I cannot stress enough the likelihood of Imperials using invisible files. Next question."

Here Gilder shook his head. "Unfortunately none. You are to go dark until you exit the planet's orbit. We cannot let anyone know that Resurgence exists."

spacer.png
Jal-Visas Frezi
Miraluka, Scoundrel 1/ Jedi 2
HP:39/39, Condition: Normal.
Damage Threshold: 13
Defenses: Fort 13, Ref 16, Will 16
Force Points: 6 of 6, Destiny Points: 0

Standing at the back of the theatre Jal slips in last and hugs the back wall. Noting everyone present he gives each of them a once over. Interesting how they have all changed slightly in the last three weeks on board the ship. Defenses lowered, attitudes moderated, comradery increased, it was new to him, and still not quite comfortable.

He was glad things had been straightened out and things aired between him and Shade. The ex-trooper had found him on his way to his favorite out of the way storage rooms for one of his private practices. Not the easiest conversation in the world, knocking down ingrained and irrational feelings was going to take time but it was a good start. Jal didn't get that itchy feeling between his shoulder blades when Shade looked at him any more. An almost freeing feeling as it was good to chat more normally afterwards with a clone, experiencing some 'old times' vibes from when he hung around the soldiers during the war with his master.

While he wasn't fully comfortable taking a mission from this ex-admiral, he had to put his trust in Bail Organa and that he knew what he was doing. Obviously Gilder had been cleared. Jal also wasn't too comfortable with this mission, sweet talking a Hutt wasn't quite what he thought this gig would be about but he could see the logic and benefits. Although having had to rely on being unnoticed and underhanded for the last few years, he felt he could fit in on this type of mission quite well.

Intrigued by the destination Jal asked a few general questions about what they were likely to face on the planet now post rise of the empire. He had heard much through Jedi channels about the war efforts there being difficult but thankfully never having the pleasure of visiting. "Are we being given any kind of back story with a way into an audience with the Hutt or are we just expected to create that situation for ourselves? Do we even know where he is set up?"

"If the latter, do we have any intel on the Hutt and his other operations that could help us plan some sort of coincidental meeting?"

"I'm wondering if he needs management or protection for his various enterprises and if we can ingratiate ourselves maybe an easy way in given our groups complement."

"Are there any other contacts of ours on the planet that we should be aware of, either to avoid or in case of emergency?"

Events

RC-9738 "Shade"

Reflex 20 (FF 16) | Fort 15 | Will 15 | DT 15 | HP: 43/43 | Init: +3 | Perception: +8 | Force Points 6/6 | Destiny Points 3 | Features | Conditions

Shade nods as the Admiral answers his question. I'll have to keep my helmet on. This is going to be tricky - hopefully we can avoid any Imperial patrols. They'll probably see right through any attempt I make to be someone else.

A thought suddenly occurred to him. "Do we know how long Darga's been on Cato Nemoidia? If he's a relative newcomer, he might not have had a lot of time to get his hooks into the local government or exert control over the local gangs. That might make him easier to find."

OOC

spacer.pngA deep exhale came from Gilder as he contemplated how to answer Jal. He rubbed a finger through his thick mustache and then combed it back in one direction with his hand.

"Let me be clear--you are the only team we will have there. You'll be alone with nothing but your wits and what you carry. There's no contacts for Darga and all we know is that he's somewhere on the planet. There's only one starport for the whole thing, so he's likely set up nearby. How you approach this mission is completely your prerogative. That's why we picked you as agents; free-thinkers able to come up with plans on the fly."

Gilder's facade broke a little and he ran a hand through his hair. "I won't say this is a safe mission but this is our only solid lead. If this was a simple military strike, we'd send in people like Shade here. Hard grit soldiers. But this requires... hmmm, ah yes, a delicate touch. I apologize, but there's nothing to be done about it."

To Shade Gilder added, "We don't know how long he's been there. We estimate around a year, give or take six months. He could have just fell into this or he could have been at it for awhile. We don't have any intel--that's why we're sending you in. Whatever tactics you need to leverage for this assignment will be acceptable."

attachment.php?attachmentid=108785&d=1677754548
Jal-Visas Frezi
Miraluka, Scoundrel 1/ Jedi 2
HP:24/24, Condition: Normal.
Damage Threshold: 13
Defenses: Fort 13, Ref 16, Will 16
Force Points: 4 of 5, Destiny Points: 0

Taking the info from Gilder was fine but taking his apparent lack of respect or control irked Jal. Maybe the old man isn't used to 'free-thinkers', no he's used to blind obedience, that much is clear. Caught between an urge to push the man further to see what happens and thinking about the current mission, Jal ends up staying quiet.

Events

RC-9738 "Shade"

No backup, huh? Hopefully we won't need it. Wish we had some more time to plan or intel on this. This Darga is going to be one tough nut to crack. We have to earn his trust - not easily done with a Hutt. Shade considered the team's abilities. Right. Nina's probably got some experience dealing with Hutts. Zen might, too - I don't know much about him. Tetra's not one for subterfuge, and I'm not sure Jal is, either. Remy...droids tend not to be noticed. We could probably use that. Get people to pay attention to the rest of us while he slices Darga's computer systems.

Shade looked at the team and said, "We'll need to make sure I'm not recognized as a clone. Do any of you know how to create disguises or something that could hide my identity? I figure as long as I keep quiet and mostly keep my helmet on, no one will realize."

OOC

OCC Sorry for the roll. First time rolling here and when i tried to edit it wouldn't let me type or change anything. But that was my knowledge check roll.