The Brazen Bull

image.png.2ed9c0cc74a8509712855740415ccd8c.pngTo the southeast, Morrull find that the tunnels loop back around from whence you came.

Iodás stands sentry facing the northeast passage.

"He does try to get a sense of what lies before that NE opening ... is that scree or large rocks blocking that way?"

I think the map is trying to show the blood smears.

Morrull He hands the Ring of Feather Walking to Zenobios, then heads back to where Muireach's body lay; wrestles with getting the body up onto his shoulders in a firemans' carry; heads back to where they entered the cave; climbs up (using a rope to bring up Muireach); and leaves. He keeps the armor. That was earned on his risk alone. He carries Muireach to his crew.

I hope the rest of you enjoy the Game going forward.

Magnus does try to stop the scout and says, " we can give a proper buriel for your friend when we leave this place. You are a good friend and I would hate to see you go."

Posted (edited)

image.png.ad186125ade5307e6780767b35feae03.pngThrough the dried blood splatters you walk, sans scout. The rough tunnels leads through a collapsed area which give way to large flagstone walls, floors and ceilings. The walls are 12 feet high, but the chamber arches to maybe 20 feet high in the middle.

To the right, you can see the original entrance is caved in and calcified over. There are crumbled steps and toppled Doric columns leading nowhere.

In the middle of the room stands a 12-foot iron statue atop a broad three-foot-high plinth of black marble. The statue depicts a sneering Hyperborean woman gripping a scythe in her left hand, with the blade resting upon her left shoulder. The statue's right hand reaches forwards, palm up, with fingers cupped together. 

The statues marble base is etched with Hyperborean EsotericAs you all know, is an ancient language that has no modern translations other than magic and thief's decipher script. pictographs. Flecks of blood, some fresh some dried, stain her outstretched palm and spatter the flagstone floor below her hand.

Edited by Saltimbanco (see edit history)

IMG_1873.png.06bc128a3cf622305658ac4f6bb081b1.png

Sacrifices then? Wonder if it’s been worth it. Anyone know who this is? 

I’m going to check the far door.”

Iodás does his best to approach the far door slowly and quietly. When he arrives, he briefly removes his helmet and presses his ear against the door to listen, then puts the helmet back on.

Character sheet:

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/8835-iodás-argos-ixian-warlock/

Posted (edited)

Iodás does his best to approach the far door slowly and quietly. When he arrives, he briefly removes his helmet and presses his ear against the door to listen, then puts the helmet back on.

You don't hear anything beyond the door.

Magnus tries to study the statue to see if this is religious of nature

The statue does not seem revere any of the known gods.

spacer.png

spacer.png | HP 21/22 AC 1 (0 vs. Evil) DR 2 | Saves 16 (vs. all +2) | Speed 30' | React/Loyal +2 | Abilities | Combat
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Looking to the statue, Luciana stepped forward and wracked her brain for knowledge that was not there. "Hyperborea holds many secrets from its people," she said to Magnus as she turned her attention away from the statue.

The fresh blood drew her interest as the warlock checked the door. "Why would there be fresh blood upon this? Does it perhaps contain magic like a lever or something?"

Looking closer, Luciana can see that the "fresh" blood is probably a day or two old at the most. It looks to be slightly wet and sticky, versus pooling and liquid. Some of the blood is indeed old, dried and brownish-red.

spacer.png

spacer.png | HP 21/22 AC 1 (0 vs. Evil) DR 2 | Saves 16 (vs. all +2) | Speed 30' | React/Loyal +2 | Abilities | Combat

Pursing her lips and with narrowed eyes toward Iodás, Luciana said, "No, that's not what I mean, king of the obvious. I mean why this spot specifically? Maybe it opens something--like the door. Unless it's not locked--is it locked?"

Reaching up, Luci tried to prod and pull and push at the statue to see if something would move. Her focus was on the bloody areas, but if she couldn't find anything after a minute or so, she'd give up. This kind of thing wasn't her element.

“Because they’re in a cult that believes good fortune will come their way if they obey the statue? Most cultists are half-mad, and these cultists are likely to be drugged as well. I’m not expecting good sense.”

Iodás tries the door. Is it locked? If not, he’ll open it.

Character sheet:

spacer.png

Partway into her manic search, Luciana paused and raised an eyebrow. "Oh," she said. "I hadn't considered that..." She continued her search and tried not to look foolish.

Posted (edited)

image.png.6607d14d17de9c45d33860a8ead76cc3.pngimage.png.e8c4c2da2f6da151f60363f83e3b686c.png"Even so," Zenobios replies. He is standing next to Luciana, also examining the statue while Iodás opens the door. "There has got to be a reason for..."

Once the door is cracked, the statue quietly moves. First, it drops its scythe downwards, catching the Amazonian across the his chest. Blood gushes from the deep wound staining his tunic a deep crimson colour. He bonelessly drops to the ground bleeding at the statue and Luciana's feet.

Then, it pivots, feet grinding at the flagstone floor, to face the warlock at the room's exit and brings the scythe into the ready position.

----------------------------------------- Begin Encounter------------------------------------------

Declare round one actions.

Zenobios is down and bleeding out. Iodás is at the northern door, a 20 foot hallway to the north of him opening into a mother chamber. Luciana and Magnus are in the center of the room next to the statue whose attention is on Iodás. Zalven is towards the left-center side of the chamber.

The period in the roller is my surprise roll.

Name
1d6 1
Atk 
1d20 18
Dmg
4d10 8,1,1,5

“Impressive, in a terrifying way.”

Iodás slams the door closed, and tightens his grip on his halberd. He moves forward and swings at the creature’s legs.

This could be my last fight, but that’s always true, I suppose.

Character sheet:

Name
Halberd attack
1d20+2 12
damage
1d10+2 8