Chapter 2: First Foray

Eric

While Yorp bounds back across the foyer to listen at the eastern room, Astrid covers the western door and the rest of the party goes to work searching. Tala's lantern catches just a glint of metal hidden in the debris at the bottom of one cabinet, and the shield tip pulls out a decaying velvet bag containing three tarnished silver spoons.

Meanwhile, Dejrik kneels over at the fireplace. As his shield clinks on the stone, there is a shower of rubble from within the chimney, and a dark shape about a foot across comes flying out! The creature swoops at the kneeling dwarf, trying to take a bite, but the dwarf had reflexively dodged away from the debris (instinct born from the mines, perhaps) and is unscathed.

COMBAT-- It is now ROUND 1!

Battle Map

image.png.6ecd881018463657f42125ff173fdad8.png

Name
Attack
1d20 3

spacer.png
Stoyan Barakovsen

Stoyan knew his vigilance would be rewarded eventually, if not so soon or from that direction, "Let me help!"

Show Stats

STRENGTH 14 +1 to hit and damage

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

DEXTERITY 7 -1 AC, and range attacks

CONSTITUTION 13 +1 hit point

CHARISMA 12

Hit Points: 7/7

Armour Class: 3 (Plate Mail (3), Shield (Bonus of 1), DEX (Penalty of 1))

THAC0: 1d20+1 Battle Axe 1d8+1, 1d20-1 Crossbow16; 6 1d6

Actions

Move in and attack the bat

Edited by hoverfrog (see edit history)
Name
Battle Axe
11; 5
1d20+1;1d8+1 ;

ROUND 1:: AC 3*, Move 60' (20') HP 4 / 4  Hands: [Lantern] / [Shield]

spacer.png
Tala Silvergrave

"Freya's ti- " Surprise kills the words before crassness gets the better of her.  Bad.  This is bad.  Out of position, no weapon in hand and none to claim if she's still to have light for them all.  Should have gone with a torch, then she might at least have bludgeoned the flying thing with the embers.  Fire hurt more things than light scared after all.

Charging forward Tala used what she did have to hand, swinging her shield like a royals badminton racket, trying to knock the thing out of the air . . .

Actions

Move 20' to engage and then use her shield as a club (forgoing AC bonus from the shield for this round, hence AC 3)

EDIT: Missing AC 9, swing and a miss.

Edited by Cirlot (see edit history)
Name
Hey Batter Batter . . . (To Hit)
1d20+1 8

spacer.png

Swords and hammers are no tools for a flying monster!  Astrid loads a bullet into her sling, and with a rapid spin-up, looses it at the flying fiend!

Watching the bullet actually go in the direction she intended it to, Astrid exuberantly shouts, "Praise Frey and pass the ammunition!"

Name
Attack Roll and Potential Damage
18; 2
1d20+1;1d4 ; [2]

Yorp75.png.7a303146f67ae80eb33f14944460eb3a.png

Yorp the Kobold

Off in the darkness of the adjacent room Yorp frets for a moment. If ever there were a time to run, this would be it, when the tall ones are distracted. But he has said he would help them, bargained for it. With a last glance into the darkness for the stirrings of life, Yorp turns and dashes back into the room, heading straight for Tala. "Give stick to Yorp! Use club, not shield!"

The flying creature produces a rather comical scene, with three dwarves and a cleric trying to knock the bat from the air with melee weapons as it frantically darts and angles through the group. Astrid's cool aim produces the desired effect, nearly sending it spinning into a wall before it rights its flight. With a nearly inaudible screech, it flaps its way into the open doorway over Yorp's head and disappears out the front door of the castle.

VICTORY!

It is now TURN 19 (Lantern: 3/24).

Name
Bat Morale
2d6-8 3,2

image.png.43d2d6ae4e6cc87532fc661aa2253990.png
Stoyan Barakovsen

"Wizards have bats, and owls, and cats as familiars, don't they?" Stoyan asks urgently as he slips his axe into his belt and draws his crossbow, fully intending to pursue the bat outside, "Snakes too, I hear."

Show Stats

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

CHARISMA 12

THAC0: 1d20+1 Battle Axe11; 5 1d8+1, 1d20-1 Crossbow16; 6 1d6

Actions

Swap to missile weapon

Name
Crossbow bolt
1; 5
1d20-1;1d6 ; [5]

Stoyan desperately tries to get a good shot at the fleeing bat, but his snap load-run-fire action ends up embedding the bolt in the front doorpost, almost to the fletching.

Ashera shrugs. "A wizard would not waste a valuable tame servant when he could surveil by means of magic. It is more than likely an unfortunate creature of nature, whose home we disturbed."

Still TURN 19.

TURN 19 (Lantern: 3/24)

spacer.png
Tala Silvergrave

Breathing hard, the bitter taste of surprise still on her tongue and her heart pounding in her chest from the sudden exertion Tala almost doubles over, a rippling burbling laugh robbing her of even more air as she considers it all: the bat, the argument, the kobold rushing bravely to her defense.

"Ah!  Sea and stars, I'm a goddess damned fool."  She forces the laughter down, stifling it to a giggle for a few unsteady breaths.  "Familiars in every chimney or flue, airs of death and darkness indeed.  Brought low by a bat!" another wracking, barely contained breath left her eyes watering.

"If it be a familiar, as unlike as that may be, than all the better for it I suppose.  If the villain knows us here he's apt to seek us out: he'd not guard the place if he could abandon it, and so our trespass might draw him forth in force.  Or - " from behind her shield her hand flips upon her wrist: this way then that.  " - it's just a bat." 

Relief and mirth at last contained, the Cleric at last turned to Yorp. Settling down on her haunches, she made to clasp a gauntleted hand upon the kobold's shoulder.

"Yorp - you've more sense than I by half, my thanks: if you'd free my hand for the fighting I'd be glad of it."  passing the lantern over to the kobold, she nodded towards the western door.  "You've listened to the East, now the west if you would?"

Action

the Lantern is Yorp's to carry if he wishes it: in the balance I'm inclined to the western door as its closer but noise check first?

EDIT: also, confession time, when I asked Yorp to listen at the Eastern door I meant the Western ones.  Swapped the directions in my post and then just never caught it.  D'oh!

Edited by Cirlot (see edit history)

image.png.275a20ebbce76510153dad737623596a.png

"Well, the indignity of a bat aside, I hope it is no familiar - I would not want the owner, or perhaps merely occupant, of this building to be, you might say, familiar with our plans!"  Astrid laughs at her own pun, obviously quite pleased with herself.

"Perhaps you should accompany Yorp, seeing as you have a shield to interpose?  I would do so myself, but distance is my friend."

Yorp75.png.7a303146f67ae80eb33f14944460eb3a.png

Yorp The Lantern-Bearer

"Bats and rats common. Sometimes get with sling for cookpot!" Yorp nods, licking his lips. Reaching up, he takes the lantern, happy to be receiving such a thing. While not the rarest, his people didn't get much oil or good wicks, so only the highest of them could keep them well. He holds it high, but...the taller races would probably prefer it higher, since the hood of the lantern cuts off light over about four feet. Yorp gives it a few experimental gentle swings, making sure normal movements wouldn't slosh oil or extinguish the flame, and then moves over to the eastern wall, crouching low and pressing his ear to the wood.

spacer.png
Dejrik Garraksen

"I can't imagine it's a healthy diet to be living off such things ..." Dejrik mutters, watching whatever the lantern manages to illuminate for lack of anything better to focus on. "Surely it'd be better to catch coneys or something."

Yorp listens carefully at the empty doorway, satisfying himself that there's nothing moving around, before thrusting the lantern in to illuminate the far side, another 30'x30' room that is the southwest corner of the keep. Both the east doorway (through which Yorp and the rest of the party are looking) and the north doorway have had their doors removed, and any other original furnishings and trappings have likewise been removed. Instead, practically the entire floor is filled with random boxes and crates of many shapes and sizes, having been stacked haphazardly. All of these, along with the floor, are covered with a thick layer of dust.

It is now TURN 20 (Lantern: 4/24).

image.png.43d2d6ae4e6cc87532fc661aa2253990.png
Stoyan Barakovsen

"They either used the doors as firewood or as doors elsewhere," Stoyan concludes, "Anyone want to look through the stores?"

Anything valuable is probably secured somewhere but it might be worth a look anyway.

Show Stats

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

CHARISMA 12

THAC0: 1d20+1 Battle Axe11; 5 1d8+1, 1d20-1 Crossbow16; 6 1d6

Actions

Nothing yet.