IC: Vengeance of the Vanderborens

Fiery Gift

14 hours ago, Fiery Gift said:
GM Question

At which establishment does Seraphina want to visit first to utilize that "8" or is that just to be used in the Azure district in general?

Not like I'm making any success with an 8, but hopefully someone else can do better - Iridni or Allura or anyone who wants to try.

I figure since Iridni gave us two targets already we should start with them, let's say 'Dolphin' first then 'Sleigh Ride' then Azure district in general?

• 3 weeks later...

smirkingelfmale.jpg.b2514c6f7bb1e6a571235ab5ca586e33.jpg

Calyx, Elven Warpriest (notes)

AC: 17 | HP: 9/9 | Hero: 1

Fort: +3 | Ref: +4 | Will: +6

Resources | Spells | Skills

"I like the small group idea," Calyx speaks up. "It attracts less attention, and keeps people from immediately going onto the defensive. Or, worse, going to the offensive."

• 5 weeks later...

The party walks through the Azure District to the Drunken Dolphin. The atmosphere is noisy, but unfriendly. It seems its been an unlucky day out on the water. As the party walks through the door, and begins asking a few questions, they find that there is no knowledge about Mr Vanderboren to be found.

Disgruntled they head to the "Sleigh", but their fortunes do not improve. You start to wonder if Vanderboren is here at all.

Seraphina Stormborn

spacer.pngSeraphina Stormborn — Half-Orc Skald 1 (Fated Champion)
AC/T/FF 16/11/15 | HP 10/10 | Init +1 | Speed 20ft | Fort/Ref/Will 5/4/2 | Darkvision
Raging Song 12/12 | Hero Points 01/01
Active Conditions:
Group buffs: raging song (allies who accept gain +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution and a +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws, but also take a –1 penalty to AC. While under the effects of inspired rage, allies other than the skald cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

Spells

1st: (1/2 remaining) Heightened Awareness (10 minutes), Saving Finale
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, ghost sound, prestidigitation, read magic

On the Flirty Frigate

"Great so... now what? It's getting late. Call it a night and try again tomorrow? Can't think of much else we can do tonight. Sometimes you just need to keep at it? Both Vark and Vanthus seem like ghosts in the wind."

She kicked a rock in frustration. Unfortunately this was about the best she had to offer.

Then as they were breaking up, a thought came to her.

"Hey Iridni. Didn't you say you can do some divination magic type stuff? Ask the gods or the spirits of the ancestors or whatever for a nudge in the right direction. Think something like that would work here?"

Mechanics

Temporary conditions:

• Heightened awareness (10 minutes remaining) +2 to perception and knowledge-based skills, can dismiss for +4 to initiative

AoO:
Standard:
Move:

Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* +6
Climb* +9
Knowledge (local) +8
Knowledge (nobility) +6
Other knowledges (untrained) +2
Perception +2
Perform (Sing) +8
Swim* +8

* -4 ACP to str and dex skills  

Edited by ccanary (see edit history)

spacer.pngTann Hauser (AC 17)

Character Short Form

Female  Neutral  Elf Wizard,

Level 1, Init 5, HP 8/8, Speed 30 

AC 13 (17 Mage Armor) Touch 13, Flat-footed 10 (14), CMD 12, 

Fort 1, Ref 3, Will 3, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus  0,  

Dagger -1 (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)
Light Crossbow (10 Reusable) +3 (1d8, 19-20/x2)

Str 8, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 10

Cantrips Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Ray of Frost 1d3+1

1st level Spells Burning Hands 1 (3d4+1), Colour Spray, Crafter's Blessing, Ears of the City, Expeditious Retreat, Fabricate Bullets, Grease 1, Mage Armor 1

Skills

+10  Knowledge Local, Knowledge Arcana

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

+6 Heal, Perception (+9 in low light), all other knowledge skills and professions

Condition

Darkvision 60' but dazzled in bright light.

Entomophobe Drawback (penalties with vermin and swarms)

Tann, looking philosophical as opposed to irritated, murmurs.. "After a rest I could cast a spell tomorrow that is a magical version of putting one's ear to the grapevine, just a lot faster in getting results. It's hit and miss though, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes really unlucky."

1192150860_IridniHeadshot.png.22b5e0ac7f7b6f5846f50345f56e69bc.png

Current Mental Focus Investiture

3 Points Invested in Her Monocle (Divination), granting a +1 Insight bonus to Perception Checks
2 Points Invested in her Bracers (Abjuration), granting a +1 Resistance Bonus to all her saving throws.

"If your spell can do that, I can try my own augury to see if we can confirm what it gives you. It could fail as well, but at least we'd be checking it." If bad assumptions were compounded with bad divinations, the result could be even worse, but at this point, they had nothing to work with. She looks around the crowd, just desperately hoping there's some sign of someone who was... look furtive, or about to run and tell their Target people were looking for him. Some sort of sign. It was a long shot, but she didn't see any other tack she was equipped to take.

Name
Perception
1d20+9 10
Sense Motive
1d20+6 7

smirkingelfmale.jpg.b2514c6f7bb1e6a571235ab5ca586e33.jpg

Calyx, Elven Warpriest (notes)

AC: 17 | HP: 9/9 | Hero: 1

Fort: +3 | Ref: +4 | Will: +6

Resources | Spells | Skills

"I wonder if we've been going about this all wrong," Calyx hesitantly volunteers. "Imagine you're this guy ... from a rich family, but kept from accessing it. Sent away because you embarrass the family reputation. Maybe given a pittance as a little stipend while the rest of the family hoards their treasure like a dragon with an accounting degree."

"But now, all of a sudden, you've got it all. Every penny of the family wealth ... as far as he knows. I don't think he'd go to his old haunts. He'd go upscale. Fancy hotel, expensive brothel, lavish restaurants, etc. We should try to find out if there's a new player in town flashing lots of cash in the ritzy areas of town."

Seraphina Stormborn

spacer.pngSeraphina Stormborn — Half-Orc Skald 1 (Fated Champion)
AC/T/FF 16/11/15 | HP 10/10 | Init +1 | Speed 20ft | Fort/Ref/Will 5/4/2 | Darkvision
Raging Song 12/12 | Hero Points 01/01
Active Conditions:
Group buffs: raging song (allies who accept gain +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution and a +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws, but also take a –1 penalty to AC. While under the effects of inspired rage, allies other than the skald cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

Spells

1st: (1/2 remaining) Heightened Awareness (10 minutes), Saving Finale
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, ghost sound, prestidigitation, read magic

On not finding Vanthus but trying again tomorrow

"Great ok sounds like we're regrouping tomorrow to try out some fancy places and some magic. I like it! Hey! It was a good day today, we'll get him. It just might take some time. Sasserine's a big haystack to find a needle in. Everybody got someplace to stay?"

She moved home, ready to regroup the next day. If anyone wanted to follow, she'd find a place her them to sleep, even it meant staying on the floor.

Mechanics

Temporary conditions:

• Heightened awareness (10 minutes remaining) +2 to perception and knowledge-based skills, can dismiss for +4 to initiative

AoO:
Standard:
Move:

Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* +6
Climb* +9
Knowledge (local) +8
Knowledge (nobility) +6
Other knowledges (untrained) +2
Perception +2
Perform (Sing) +8
Swim* +8

* -4 ACP to str and dex skills  

Character Short Form

1st level Spells Burning Hands 1 (3d4+1), Colour Spray, Crafter's Blessing, Ears of the City, Expeditious Retreat, Fabricate Bullets, Grease 1, Mage Armor 1

Skills

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

+6 Heal, Perception (+9 in low light), all other knowledge skills and professions

Condition

Tann seems resigned to failure in regards to finding the Vanderboren black sheep. Still, when talk of calling it a night comes up, she seems a little surprised. "So, we're not going back to the ship?", she asks... before answering her own question herself. "Guess not. So where to?" She then followed Calyx to Calyx's place.

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)

Urthan

spacer.pngUrthan Dosk — Half-Orc Barbarian 1 (Armored Hulk)

AC/T/FF 15/10/15 | HP 9/13 | Init +0 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 6/2/4 | Darkvision 60
Raging 6/6 | Hero Points ??
Active Conditions: none

Turning In

"I can ask around the fighting ring in the morning." Urthan throws his own suggestion out on the heels of Calyx's thoughts. "If he's splashing money around, he might not limit himself to prostitutes and gambling houses." He opines. "A lot of wealthy folks enjoy some bloodsports. I'll ask around and come meet in the morning." He gives a friendly wave to the crew before departing. "Don't get in any fights without me!"

Mechanics

DESCRIPTION Very thin, young halfling woman with auburn hair, pale brown-amber eyes, fair skin (lightly freckled checks and nose), a rounded button-like nose and narrow features. Short and slender even on the smaller side for a halfling her ears are half-again larger proportionately than most. She smiles easily and is a quiet woman (for the most part) who prefers remaining more in the background in most situations.| APPLICATION | SHEETspacer.pngFiona Inderman
Female, Neutral Good, Halfling [Skinwalker (Nightskulk)], Unchained Rogue (detailsCounterfeit Mage
Escapologist
Investigator
Knife Master
) 1

AC/TAC/FFAC: 17/15/13 | HP: 9/9 | S/D/C/I/W/C: +1/+4/+1/+3/-1/+0 | F/R/W: +1/+6/-1 | Move: 30', Climb 30'
Low-light Vision, Perception: +3

Fiona had certain 'friends' that simply weren't the type she'd bring others to, not without a very good reason. She'd tagged along and kept track of the information they'd gathered but hadn't much to offer really. It was going to be later, in the darkness, and the very early morning hours when most people were sleeping, that's when she would be able to ask a few questions and perhaps find out something that could be useful.

"Before we regroup in the morning I'll see what I can find out from some of my... acquaintances..." She grinned and chuckled. She didn't have to take any undue risks, not if she merely met with a few of her regular friends at least.

OoC

Summary: ...

Standard: ???
Swift: ---
Move: ---
Free: ???

Offenses:
Bite (+5, 1d4+1 (primary natural attack); Fort DC11 or Sickened, 20/x2)
Rapier (+5, 1d4+1, 18-20/x2)
Daggers (+5, 1d3+1, 20/x2, 10' ri, +5 attack if thrown)
Throwing Blades (+5, 1d3+1, 20/x2, 20' ri)
Sneak Attack: 1d8 (with daggers / throwing blades) or 1d4 (bite / rapier)

SKIILLS:
Acrobatics +8
Appraise +7
Climb +13 (30')
Disable Device +8
Escape Artist +8
Handle Animal +6
Know (Dungeoneering) +7
Know (Local) +7
Linguistics +11
Perception +3
Sleight of Hand +8
Stealth +14
Swim +5

Character Short Form

Skills

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

Condition

Tann walks along with Seraphina, having left the others when Seraphina did. She of course had a room, but it didn't amount to much and it wasn't the most social place. "We should think about selling what we found and equipping ourselves for what is likely trying times ahead.", she remarks to her walking companion, content as always to talk of organization and arrangements, sometimes to the discomfort of others. "For the moment I can only craft alchemical items, but I lack only the requisite experience to craft magical items. I conjure the trials and tribulations we encounter as we advance the ambitions of our patron will see my acquire the requisite experience sooner rather than later."

Character Short Form

Skills

+8  Alchemy, Spellcraft

Condition

Tann wakes before dawn, much refreshed. She gets washed, hits the books and memorizes her spells for the day. She then settles down and casts 'Ears of the City' on the topic of the whereabouts of Vanthus Vanderboren. The spell, one of only three she can cast that day, takes but moments whereas trawling the city would take hours. She hopes this will speed up the finding of the errant noble considerably.

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)
Name
Using spell to gather information
1d20+9 12

• 2 weeks later...