Out of Character Chat

Powderhorn

20 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

It sounds like everyone is ready for a new chapter bringing us back to the Aephren Outpost?

I don't have time for an IC tonight (unless insomnia) but yeah, I'm good with that (though Flexi as well if others prefer to go elsewhere!)

If there's more to discuss from the Oracles, I can wait on the next chapter - I don't want people to feel rushed. Right now I'm writing it up, but intend to keep it hidden until we're ready to move just so it's ready.

Also, the thought occurs to me that we're making it to a good re-recruitment point if we want to do so. Right now there are four of us and a good group - and there is an opportunity to take on a fifth so long as it would not negatively impact group dynamics. We don't have to do so, but, if we want to as a group, and there's anyone you think would be a good fit, we can do so.

i think Stavard is the only character in the party that truly shines in combat. a lot of experts and partial experts which is fine but that means we have to approach problems in a way that make sense for a party not good at combat.

the way to deal with mages is to snap attack before they cast a spell thus either killing them outright or disrupting their ability to cast spells.

if you want to recruit that's fine, but it will be hard for a new person to get up to speed on what's happening.

For sure, it would need to be someone who is a bit of a known quantity, as there is a lot to take in and mesh into. Such a person may or may not exist, but if they do I'd be happy to bump us up to 5, and if not, it's not a big deal. It just came up as we're about in a good spot for it.

I am good with adding a new PC! I think we have a great group but I am always a fan of spreading the love for a game / system / setting, and (I think) the only way to get good and reliable players is through sheer pig-headed stubbornness-especially when it comes to the recruitment process.

Also, as long as the recruitment itself does not take too long, I think there's very little to lose by trying it. Even if it fails, it's no biggie.

yeah probably a good idea, also Koji might go back home to tell the church about what has transpired, I created him predominantly for setting up the village, and building things, not as an adventurer or soldier. So I'm feeling a little disjointed by since the combining of things, and coming to this oracle.

Happy to take ideas on board, or if allowed create another character that is more suited to the task at hand.

I've never used SWN/CWN with magic. @Powderhorn would it be possible for one of our current PCs to pick some up?

Maybe one of our new Drakvian refugees could be an escaped apprentice who would be willing to tutor us?

Koji has some magic adjacent arts (basically spend the "effort" resource to power spell like magical abilities).

there is a familiar focus and a nullifier focus the latter giving abilities to defend against magical assaults.

anything substantial requires actually rebuilding the character

1 hour ago, 8w_gremlin said:

yeah probably a good idea, also Koji might go back home to tell the church about what has transpired, I created him predominantly for setting up the village, and building things, not as an adventurer or soldier. So I'm feeling a little disjointed by since the combining of things, and coming to this oracle.

Happy to take ideas on board, or if allowed create another character that is more suited to the task at hand.

For what it's worth-which I suspect is probably not much-I like Koji. I think he's proven pretty useful in the group (maybe more so than Iphigenia, lol :) ) but even more importantly for me, it provides a nice contrast and low-key conflict in the group with his idealism and faith vs. some others' lack thereof. Which may play into some interesting themes down the line, especially seeing the direction the story is headed...

That being said, if you make a new PC, I'm looking forward to meeting them!

2 hours ago, thesloth said:

This nullifier sounds interesting. Is that in the free rules or the full "for purchase" rules?

fyi most WWN stuff is in the free SRD at this point. Copying from there:

Nullifier

Something about your hero interferes with easy use of magic on them. It may be a strangely powerful birth blessing, a particular supernatural bloodline, or simple occult incompatibility. This Focus cannot be taken by Mages or Partial Mages.

Level 1: You and all allies within twenty feet gain a +2 bonus to all saving throws against magical effects. As an On Turn action, you can feel the presence or use of magic within twenty feet of you, though you can’t discern details about it or the specific source. The first failed saving throw against a magical effect you suffer in a day is turned into a success.

Level 2: Once per day, as an Instant action, you are simply not affected by an unwanted magical effect or supernatural monstrous ability, even if it wouldn’t normally allow a saving throw. Immunity to a persistent effect lasts for the rest of the scene.