General Chat

Eborne1

I thought posting this in questions but it's more theorycrafting so I'll place it here.

While I was looking at the weapons I noticed one thing, you specified dual wield penalty for Pistol, while not one for Revolver. This is a bit extrapolating, but would be fair to think that Pistol would be a Light weapon, while Revolver wouldn't? So for better dual-wield results using Revolver in the main hand and Pistol in the off-hand would produce the best results with appropriate feats? So without feats, it would be -6/-4, with two weapons fighting it would go to -4/-2 and then it would stay there due to revisions in EiTR just adding attacks for raising the penalty.

Also, have you considered adding a sawed-off shotgun as the only scatter one-handed weapon, I imagine further revision in distance would be necessary (10 ft scatter 15 ft cone? 20 ft slug?)

I mean it is a kinda iconic weapon, I'd argue more than full length normal double barrel

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

Sawed-off double shotty is definitely possible.  I'll look over all these homebrew guns more thoroughly in the coming days and polish it all up.  Thanks for bringing some combo mechanics to my attention.  Any other concepts are welcome  

I think you've got to rule all pistols (revolver or semi-auto) as light. There really isn't a difference IRL, there are little handguns that weigh only a couple pounds and big ones with heavy loads that weight 7 or more, revolvers and semis alike. I wouldn't call a sawed-off light, though, more because of the recoil than the weight, and it should probably have a penalty if fired one-handed. But I am curious about them, because as a Firebrand I want access to some kind of scatter weapon for my Dragon's Breath cartridges, but a Masterwork Dragon Pistol costs less than a standard shotgun at these prices (400 vs 500).

What I really want is a revolver that I can put dragon's breath cartridges in if I want to. And to be fair, there are a few revolvers in real life that can load regular bullets as well as shot cartridges (the S&W Governor can load shotgun shells and two types of .45, for example, and there are probably a dozen similar revolvers). How do I do that?

2 hours ago, The Foiler said:

I think you've got to rule all pistols (revolver or semi-auto) as light. There really isn't a difference IRL, there are little handguns that weigh only a couple pounds and big ones with heavy loads that weight 7 or more, revolvers and semis alike. I wouldn't call a sawed-off light, though, more because of the recoil than the weight, and it should probably have a penalty if fired one-handed. But I am curious about them, because as a Firebrand I want access to some kind of scatter weapon for my Dragon's Breath cartridges, but a Masterwork Dragon Pistol costs less than a standard shotgun at these prices (400 vs 500).

What I really want is a revolver that I can put dragon's breath cartridges in if I want to. And to be fair, there are a few revolvers in real life that can load regular bullets as well as shot cartridges (the S&W Governor can load shotgun shells and two types of .45, for example, and there are probably a dozen similar revolvers). How do I do that?

Yeah, I think a Revolver that could shoot dragon's breath cartridges would be something like a Revolver version of the Dragon Pistol, maybe? I imagine a sawed-off shotgun would still be a 2-handed gun with half the range of a normal shotgun, but with a size increase in scatter shot damage dice or something.

Alternatively, if the DM wanted to just skip trying to balance homebrew guns, he could just use the Modern Firearms, since the game is in more or less modern times anyway. Could also just straight-swap the various starting Gunslinger options with a modern equivalent. Plus the prices are fairly similar to what was homebrewed.

Edited by BBK (see edit history)

Well my fluff is done for those willing, however, I'd like to point out that giving me too much freedom in that department is like giving me a noose. I will hang myself. Entire thing comfortablly take my second personal longest piece with 9,871 words and modest 54,605 characters.

So in order not to waste anyones time needlessly I'd give few pointers.

1) You want to read all. Good winds and pleasent sees to ya

2) Our GM places it to vote who to summon in the first round, so being economical with time is important for everyone to gets a fair shake. See character picture and read One Year Later (last chapter) It gives best overview where character is mentally, monetary and physically with several flashbacks for a full picture. Warning it's still slightly bloated 6,133 words and 33,716 characters so a bit less than 2/3 overall.

3) Our GM chooses party himself and my character somehow squeeks in. You want just brief overview of your party? Look at the picture (seriously, Apperance more sounds as average BG) and while at it read Apperance and Personality. It will give you his brief outlook on life, I mean he'll be likely chopped in half soon anyway. (lean 790 words and 4,280 characters, shortest one

4) Our GM chooses party himself and my character somehow squeeks in. Or it's a voting challenge, only one that works for both. Custom. You start and read what you want, might love it or hate it depending on what chapters you read.

P.S. My mention of chapters might confuse some so just a brief explanation Imediettly as I started I knew peole might get lost in it so I seperated BG in chapters. There is Bike Gang that shaped his life to immense degree but he's a 3rd generation of the gang I have preview about forming the gang and their raise before my character is even born. So if someone wnat to get to the character imedietly they can go to the second chapter onvards. If they want to get to the Turning third chapter and onwards etc...

42 minutes ago, Eborne1 said:

Wowza. He casts Wall of Words! Nice.  Will read.  

Thanks, but you especially I think should exercise prudence with this one. I Of course would be humbled if you would read it all. Because I think that there are oddly few short parts that specifically show the absolute nihilist, void of feelings person he became when he noticed that his metaphorical ship will sink and did nothing for decades that are rather boring. Straight-up boring, pretentiously so, that I had to finish with an actual rocket attack to wake people up (still during it) he notices a rocket coming and admires its flight not warning anyone, deciding that everyone (that organized party in his honor) actually deserves to die 10 times over (him included) and tries to count when the rocket will punch into the wall. Said the fight happens because he gets pissed at whoever ordered the attack because they apparently went budget assassin option instead of the bunker-buster rocket that would vaporize everyone inside. They used a normal rocket that blew its load on the wall, leaving everyone inside concussed but very much alive, and heavily armed 😆 But that part is kinda old him, man that forgot how to feel basically anything. Hence boring. Just for you, I'd advise usual start with Appearance (that actually says more about his Personality than Personality does) then jump directly to St.Quentin, Rebirth and the Turning then go to the end (don't worry it's still around 9100 words 😜 )

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

2 hours ago, BBK said:

Yeah, I think a Revolver that could shoot dragon's breath cartridges would be something like a Revolver version of the Dragon Pistol, maybe? I imagine a sawed-off shotgun would still be a 2-handed gun with half the range of a normal shotgun, but with a size increase in scatter shot damage dice or something.

Alternatively, if the DM wanted to just skip trying to balance homebrew guns, he could just use the Modern Firearms, since the game is in more or less modern times anyway. Could also just straight-swap the various starting Gunslinger options with a modern equivalent. Plus the prices are fairly similar to what was homebrewed.

Ok I think since we all have some skin in the game here and just, admittedly, concentrate on the ability of sawed off as one hand weapon. First I completely understand that not all could be used like that. However, there is a large portion of modern and old ones that could. Now you should be able to see on the bellow one modern shotgun

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/22/a5/77/22a5779c91bcbcf1a618cd5259dfe38b.jpg

That viably can be shot with one hand. Furthermore, there are already several pistols/ revolvers that already shoot shotgun ammo two with a bit more buzz Are Taurus Judge that shoots both slugs and shellsspacer.png

Second is from esteemed pistoll familly shooting unfortunatelly just 2020 gauge ammo

spacer.png

So there would be 3 examples of already existing tech and there are more and weirder and I expect them to become rather commonplace. But not to be I haven't provided anything that actually looks like you thought. This is actually NOT sawed off it was manufectured like this and while dude whose main job was protection used normal shotguns and rifles while drivers if someone gets too close for his liking and all you know handling wagon of horses didn't really gave you time to aim with your revolver.

spacer.png

Ithaca Auto & Burglar gun that came in 20 gauge and 28 gauge. and effective up to 20 ft.

Now I planned a whole dance around cowboy hat and leaving but (besides it would be stupid) it's not what I wanted to prove. What I wanted to prove is a commonality in these shooty things which would be the absence of a rifle butt. Sawed off with it I don't think it could be effectively wielded one-handed. But, one without it so it has more of a profile of modern pump action (1'st pic) and considering this is like the future, with the application of lighter material I believe sawed-off could be made viable for one-handed use. I though agree they would not be nowhere near light weapon.

For me, it's all about mechanical and thematic balance.  There are lots of guns, but which ones are iconic and a good representative of a group? and not going to break the game?      

I'm not allowing semi-auto shotties or full-autos at the start.  And technically a person could wield two full-auto SCARs at the same time, but it's quite impractical and two sawed-off double barrel shotties (while possible) is probably a bit impractical too... especially if they're reloading all four barrels as swift or immediate actions too... yikes.

I may expand into "modern firearms", (full-autos etc...) later on in the game.  So there's room and time to make some adjustments.         

4 minutes ago, Abalon said:

By the way for Selena's backstory do you have ranks of the PURE written down, or can I just steal stuff from N Corp?

I'm unfamiliar with N Corp.  But you are free to steal or create as you like.  I don't have any PURE structure/ranks prepared.  

It's not surprising since Project Moon isn't exactly well-known, but they're an extremely strict and brutal mega-corporation (if you take a picture they'll send elite kill squads to smash you into the ground). They're mostly known for the Inquisition, a sub-division that absolutely hates prosthetics (straight up impaling an entire village for it) and are massive nutjobs. Thought them and the PURE had a few similar motifs